[Minimum KSP version - 1.12] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) v1.29

IgorZ

On 6/4/2018 at 8:56 PM, IgorZ said:

I wonder if this touchpad behavior can be somehow disabled via the driver settings.

Apparently it's possible to tell OS (Win10, in my case) to butt out, but when I googled for it I found it was more effort than getting off the couch and sitting at the table with a mouse. 

Ofcourse, that's as far as I'm concerned. I prefer to use my system instead of tinkering with it, so if it's not "click checkmark", it's too much hassle.

Tagging @StrandedonEarth just in case.

7 hours ago, Freshmeat said:

Out of curiosity: What is the slotSize variable in the ModuleKISInventory module?

It defines how big the slot boxes will be in GUI. You can set it to a smaller value to reduce the inventory dialog size. However, the layout would likely get broken.

6 hours ago, SmarterThanMe said:

Hi. I'm getting back into KSP after an absence.

Installed the usual mods, including KIS. Now dying during loadup. The log shows an exception, and I think it's coming up when KIS is doing its thing?

Here's my log.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks mate.

Your game setup is weird. The GameData folder is supposed to be located in the game's root, but in your case it's in the "Internals" folder. KIS won't work with this setup. I guess, many mods will get broken too, even though they didn't crash in the loading phase.

D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\Internals\GameData

Try "Verify integrity of game files" in Steam.

4 hours ago, IgorZ said:

Your game setup is weird. The GameData folder is supposed to be located in the game's root, but in your case it's in the "Internals" folder. KIS won't work with this setup. I guess, many mods will get broken too, even though they didn't crash in the loading phase.

D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\Internals\GameData

Try "Verify integrity of game files" in Steam.

How on Earth did that happen? Just took a look and, yes, I have a completely 1 for 1 copy of my GameData folder in the Internals folder. I wonder if that's CKAN weirdness...

Deleting and trying again. Thanks for your help mate, you're a legend.

On 6/6/2018 at 6:29 PM, SomeWebDevGuy said:

Hey love this mod! Just curious if it would be possible to change the messaging when trying to attach 'Node' parts with the wrench / spanner. 

Took me forever in my career mode to realize I needed to research the powered driver before I could do this. Message just says 'This node can't be used for surface attach'  Maybe it could say something like 'You must use powered driver to use node attach" when you try to use the wrench?

https://i.imgur.com/J35YBTz.gifv

Thanks! I've just bumped in the same issue! Couldn't attach extra z-200 to my satellite with a wrench and didn't understand why....

In the manual, there is no word about that

Edited by ilya_f

10 hours ago, CRL42 said:

Before i make a pull request I'd like to know how I can translate the inline guide and the pdf manual.

What is "inline guide"? As for the manual, the only way to translate it is to somehow decompose the PDF to the images and text. Alas, I don't have the sources :( 

53 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

What is "inline guide"? As for the manual, the only way to translate it is to somehow decompose the PDF to the images and text. Alas, I don't have the sources :( 

"Inline guide" probably refers to the in-game item version of the user guide — which is a neat idea, but really, it'd probably be better to just have the documentation in KSPedia like everything else.  If you don't have the sources for the PDF, consider replacing it with a KSPedia section, since that'd be editable and translatable.

12 hours ago, CRL42 said:

Hi

I'm working for an Italian translation, the .cfg file is done. You can read in my fork here:https://github.com/CRL42/KIS

Before i make a pull request I'd like to know how I can translate the inline guide and the pdf manual.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, IgorZ said:

33 minutes ago, Wyzard said:

"Inline guide" probably refers to the in-game item version of the user guide — which is a neat idea, but really, it'd probably be better to just have the documentation in KSPedia like everything else.  If you don't have the sources for the PDF, consider replacing it with a KSPedia section, since that'd be editable and translatable.

So just an fyi ... there are tons of free pdf extractors on the internet, even ones built into websites so no software need be installed

Use your preferred search engine and search for 'extract text and images from pdf' and then pick your poison

As for a KSPedia, it's a nice thing to have but I have found that, after creating one for BD Armory Continued over a year ago, it rarely gets used even when you point it out to the user ... more often than not it appears that users would rather come into a thread to ask all their questions instead of reading the instruction manual :rolleyes:

So yeah, KSPedia is good but would be a large undertaking with little reward (in my experience) 

46 minutes ago, Wyzard said:

but really, it'd probably be better to just have the documentation in KSPedia like everything else

Totally agree. However, my resources are very limited. It's either the code or the docs :( 

3 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

more often than not it appears that users would rather come into a thread to ask all their questions instead of reading the instruction manual :rolleyes:

People do it regardless to the form in which you offer the help pages :)  However, having a PDF file leaves an opportunity to give a link on the forum. Honestly, I think that that the best doc form ever is a Wiki with some embed videos. It's easy to give the links to it when people ask, and it's easy to edit. What's not easy, is to find time to create and support one :D

7 hours ago, IgorZ said:

Totally agree. However, my resources are very limited. It's either the code or the docs :( 

People do it regardless to the form in which you offer the help pages :)  However, having a PDF file leaves an opportunity to give a link on the forum. Honestly, I think that that the best doc form ever is a Wiki with some embed videos. It's easy to give the links to it when people ask, and it's easy to edit. What's not easy, is to find time to create and support one :D

Ok,I'll go with the localization for KIS, KAS, EasyVesselSwitch and SurfaceLights.

If I found some good tools then I'll go for the PDF, but I second the idea of KSPedia, it's in game, it looks good and useful. I always use it for ScanSat.

@IgorZ I think this mod is gread any chance I could make a feature request?

When adding an item to the inventory you have to press g along with clicking the mouse and moving the mouse from the item to the inventory which I find difficult to do any chance you could make it so that you could press for example to 'I' key and click on the item so that it is automaticaly added to the inventory (if the mass and volume will allow). Thanks for the mod again

I've run into an odd problem, or maybe it's a known limitation, I'm still relative new to KSP.  I'm in orbit on EVA, trying to swap the docking port in the nose of a ship for the Advanced Grabbing Unit. When I try to grab the docking port it highlights the entire ship and says too heavy.I can't figure out how to isolate it just the docking port in this case. Is this a limitation because the docking port in the nose is the first part in the ship description in the save file? 

35 minutes ago, Tonka Crash said:

Is this a limitation because the docking port in the nose is the first part in the ship description in the save file?

Yes, this is the case. KIS can only detach parts from the parent, and the first vessel part (the root) doesn't have one. The workaround is simple: use the detach tool (X). It will separate the docking port from the vessel.

4 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

Yes, this is the case. KIS can only detach parts from the parent, and the first vessel part (the root) doesn't have one. The workaround is simple: use the detach tool (X). It will separate the docking port from the vessel.

I wish I had known that a couple of reloads ago. Well, you live and learn.

39 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

The workaround is simple: use the detach tool (X). It will separate the docking port from the vessel.

I had to detach the part behind the docking port to cut the docking port free, but I got it sorted. Thanks for the help.

On 6/21/2018 at 4:52 AM, mrmcp1 said:

When adding an item to the inventory you have to press g along with clicking the mouse and moving the mouse from the item to the inventory which I find difficult to do any chance you could make it so that you could press for example to 'I' key and click on the item so that it is automaticaly added to the inventory (if the mass and volume will allow). Thanks for the mod again

KIS concept doesn't assume "active inventory" paradigm. You may have multiple inventories open, or none. Which one will be the target for the action? Could you, please, describe the use-case a bit?

5 hours ago, IgorZ said:

KIS concept doesn't assume "active inventory" paradigm. You may have multiple inventories open, or none. Which one will be the target for the action? Could you, please, describe the use-case a bit?

I hadn’t thought of that. The use case for me is mainly placing an item in a Kerbal’s inventory but I can’t keep the key pressed and use the mouse at the same time. Maybe for this function to work it would require an inventory to be open then you press ‘I’ (maybe make it so that it keeps this mode until ‘I’ is pressed again) and click on the part you want to put in the inventory you are then asked to select an inventory slot to place the item in (this could also be useful for laptops where moving the mouse and using a key is sometimes not possible). Apologies if I have misunderstood what you have asked

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a chart what the lifting capacity of a kerbal is per celestial body? I am planning to go to Duna and build everything in place but I will only bring 8 kerbals so I need to plan accordingly with mass.

I have also heared talk on tools / vehicles that can aid a kerbal in its carrying capacity, is that rumor true? if so, where can I find out more information?

Edit: I have found the answer for my second question: ModuleKISPickup

Edited by invultri

1 hour ago, invultri said:

Is there a chart what the lifting capacity of a kerbal is per celestial body? I am planning to go to Duna and build everything in place but I will only bring 8 kerbals so I need to plan accordingly with mass.

I have also heared talk on tools / vehicles that can aid a kerbal in its carrying capacity, is that rumor true? if so, where can I find out more information?

Edit: I have found the answer for my second question: ModuleKISPickup

The limit is for the mass, not for the wight. That said, on any celestial body (or with no gravity at all) it's exactly 1t per kerbal.

Edited by IgorZ

Hey there, KIS is one of those mods that you just cannot live without. I have a question:

I wonder if I am misusing the portable KIS container. I use it to carry around large items on EVA. But, I am not able to access its contents while my kerbal is wearing it. Because of this my work flow is as follows:
  - Open portable container inventory and place large item inside it.
  - Pick up portable container into kerbal inventory.
  - Pick up the container rack into kerbal inventory.
  - Go to destination.
  - Surface attach the rack at destination.
  - Mount the portable container on the rack.
  - Open portable container inventory to access the large item.
  - Pick back up the container into kerbal inventory.
  - Pick back up the the rack into kerbal inventory.
  - Return back to ship.
  - Reattach the rack.
  - Mount back the container.
If I were able to access its contents while wearing it, I would be able to leave well alone the rack and do my thing with 6 less attachment operations, which always cause my game to stutter for a second.
Long story short, I intend to patch it to allow internal access, like below. Would this be the proper way to do this?

@PART[KIS_Container1]:FINAL
{
    @MODULE[ModuleKISInventory]
    {
        @internalAccess = true
    }
}

PS: Now that I have written my idea down, I have found the downside of it. This will allow the contents of the inventory to be accessed from within the ship, which is somewhat immersion breaking. Hmm.. Can KIS somehow handle these situations differently?

Also, what does the keyboard shortcut Y (re-dock) do? I have found the following explanation but I could not understand it.

It's a shortcut action to quickly re-dock vessel on the station. You target a docket vessel, click on it, then select port to re-dock. By default shortcut key is "Y".

7 hours ago, canisin said:

But, I am not able to access its contents while my kerbal is wearing it.

It's designed this way. When the inventory is on a kerbal's back, it cannot be accessed. And no settings can change it, it's hardcoded.

Pick up the container rack into kerbal inventory.

Why are you carrying the rack? You can simply put the container on the ground and access its content. The rack is only needed if you need to attach the container to a vessel.

Also, what does the keyboard shortcut Y (re-dock) do?

When you have a big station with multiple docked vessels, you can use this ability to move the vessels between the available docking ports. It's different from the detach/attach function in several important ways:

1. There is no mass/distance limit.
  2. The vessels can only be moved to an available and compatible docking port.
  3. The docked vessel info is preserved. The regular attachment function doesn't care about it.
Edited by IgorZ

Hmm, I put the same KIS items into the inventory of all seats on both the Mun orbiter and the lander, but the lander's inventory is empty for all Kerbals.

Is this just an old bug?

No exceptions in the log about anything with KIS or KAS...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.