[Minimum KSP version - 1.12] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) v1.29

IgorZ

15 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

Im awful with computers atleast in this sense, what do I need to do to get it to work. I Downloaded the "gamedata" folder off curseforhe and put it into the steam game data files am I missing something?

Make sure the contents of this mod’s GameData folder go into KSP’s GameData folder. The mod is standalone so you don’t need ModuleManager or anything else.

Edited by RealKerbal3x

5 hours ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

Im awful with computers atleast in this sense, what do I need to do to get it to work. I Downloaded the "gamedata" folder off curseforhe and put it into the steam game data files am I missing something?

If you are bad with computers you might try CKAN to deal with managing mods. It makes it pretty simple.

CKAN is always a good idea but unfortunately, not every mod supports CKAN installs (works fine with KIS).

So, if you are in a situation where CKAN cannot help you, always check for dependencies. Pretty sure you actually missed something in this case ;)

>>> IMPORTANT! Dependency mods

KIS requires some mod dependencies:

Note. When installing via CKAN these mods get deployed automatically.

How do you get the CKAN code off of github and also its saying you needs some Microsoft download. I'm on a laptop I can not download a million things. I can download mods off curseforge. Here is how may directory looks

Kerbal Space Program>GameData>GameData>KIS

The 2nd GameData folder (the one that uses KIS) has 3 files in it in the following order

CommunityCatagoryKit

KIS

ModuleManager.3.0.4.dll

----------------

This is the KIS Folder

Lang

Parts

Patches

Plugins

Sounds

Textures

License.md

readme.md

settings.cfg

user guide

2 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

How do you get the CKAN code off of github and also its saying you needs some Microsoft download. I'm on a laptop I can not download a million things. I can download mods off curseforge. Here is how may directory looks

The 2nd GameData folder (the one that uses KIS) has 3 files in it in the following order

CommunityCatagoryKit

KIS

ModuleManager.3.0.4.dll

----------------

This is the KIS Folder

Lang

Parts

Patches

Plugins

Sounds

Textures

License.md

readme.md

settings.cfg

user guide

The only differance is a "Lang file" 

11 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

There is your problem.

It must be:

• Kerbal Space Program
    • Gamedata
      • KIS
      • CommunityCategoryKit
      • ModuleManager.3.0.7.dll (this is the latest release and works fine with KIS)

If you prefer it in this style: Kerbal Space Program>GameData>KIS
Just be sure to install the dependencies as well.

All mods are designed to use this folder structur. Get rid of the additional 'GameData' folder and you should be fine :)

1 minute ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

There is your problem.

It must be:

• Kerbal Space Program
    • Gamedata
      • KIS
      • CommunityCategoryKit
      • ModuleManager.3.0.7.dll (this is the latest release and works fine with KIS)

If you prefer it in this style: Kerbal Space Program>GameData>KIS
Just be sure to install the dependencies as well.

All mods are designed to use this folder structur. Get rid of the additional 'GameData' folder and you should be fine :)

Can I say this in my directory

Kerbal Space Program> GameData> KIS (A game folder I create) and then the KIS mod

How do you re-arrange a folder

Just now, Cheif Operations Director said:

Kerbal Space Program> GameData> KIS (A game folder I create) and then the KIS mod

Haven't tried it but I don't think so. AFAIK, a mod is looking for files in specific places and if you change anything, the mod will fail to find these files and will not run properly or at all.

I'm curious: Why do you want to add an extra folder? Maybe we can find a different solution :)

Just now, 4x4cheesecake said:

Haven't tried it but I don't think so. AFAIK, a mod is looking for files in specific places and if you change anything, the mod will fail to find these files and will not run properly or at all.

I'm curious: Why do you want to add an extra folder? Maybe we can find a different solution :)

Just to organize mods but I do not need too how do I re-arrange files 

4 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

Just to organize mods but I do not need too how do I re-arrange files 

They are organized by default, aren't they? Look, here's a screenshot of my 1.4.3 install with several mods. The screenshot shows the 'GameData' folder and I haven't created a single folder on my own, I just copied the mod folders from the .zip file into the GameData folder:

Spoiler

yq262rZ.png

Every mod got it's own folder, I don't see any benefit in creating a new one with the same name.

I guess you can't re-arrange the files without changes in the source code, it's not like someone would use a config file to tell the mod where the files are located. It is hard-coded into the .dll file provided by the mod.

Well, there is ONE exception: Module Manager patches. They can be placed everywhere in the GameData folder but I guess this isn't going to be important for you.

44 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

When programs want Microsoft downloads the space they take is usually pretty small and it's very likely that other programs will also want the same download.  Since CKAN is a .net executable it's probably asking for a version of the runtime you don't have on your system.  The biggest is under 100mb and will be required to run any .net program targeted on the same version.

Take a look in the User Guide, it explains everything very well :)  Also, there are several tooltips in game.

To attach stuff, you need a tool like the electric screwdriver or a wrench. If you have one of these in your inventory, right click on it to equip the tool. Then drag the part you want to attach out of the inventory, you will see a greene 'phantom' part. The ingame tooltip will tell you which keys will be used to rotate the part, how to change the node and so on...also, it will tell you to press H to attach the part (to be more precise: hold down H and then click) ;)

https://github.com/ihsoft/KIS/blob/master/User Guide.pdf

Once u have mañual just get a lander can and attach a small container to side. Fill that up with things to screw onto sides of can. Move to launch pad/runway go eva and practice. And either print manual or have it on your phone or tablet etc so you can reference it in game. Y u can just tab out to desktop to look but i have problems with game after i return when i do that.

1 hour ago, Wragie said:

Once u have mañual just get a lander can and attach a small container to side. Fill that up with things to screw onto sides of can. Move to launch pad/runway go eva and practice. And either print manual or have it on your phone or tablet etc so you can reference it in game. Y u can just tab out to desktop to look but i have problems with game after i return when i do that.

You could also use the in game user guide. It’s the part that looks like a blue book

46 minutes ago, DirtyVenomSteam said:

Will there be any support for the MH suit soon? It seems to just be in T-Pose and off in the corner when accessing inventory.

The new suites are supported. If you have issues with them, please give more details (logs and screenshots).

In doing an in-orbit assembly of my (first!) crewed mission to Eve, I inadvertently built the service module of the spacecraft with a pair of EVACU-8 service airlocks (from Stockalike Station Parts), thinking they were 2.5m docking ports, rather than the 1.25m extending docking ports that they actually are. The airlock modules were attached to a 2.5m PPD adapter module (from the same mod).

Anyway, out comes Tanlorf Kerman with her electric screwdriver to remove the mistakenly placed EVACU-8 modules, so that they can be replaced with stock 2.5m docking ports... but when she (and by that I mean me) holds down 'H' or 'X' and mouses over the modules, she gets a grey detach icon. No go. She can remove stock parts from the spacecraft, but seeming not any of the parts from the Stockalike Station Parts mod.

Eventually, Tanlorf gives up and uses one of the KIS/KAS explosives at a low yield to simply blow the airlock modules to a fine dust, but the question remains...

What's going on here? Is this a bug (or some other issue) with KAS, KIS, or Stockalike Station Parts? Where's the right place to report this issue, or is there jury-rig a fix on my own install?

Edited by reaction_wheel

5 hours ago, reaction_wheel said:

but when she (and by that I mean me) holds down 'H' or 'X' and mouses over the modules, she gets a grey detach icon.

Usually, KIS gives some details in the hint, explaining why the action cannot be performed. Was there anything? One guess is that the part, you're trying to detach, was the root part of the vessel. In this case a different technique needs to be used: detaching the child part via X key. It would also be good to have the logs and a short video. If it's a persistent issue with the mod or with KIS, then you should be able to reproduce it on the launchpad.

I ran into a bug or maybe it's a known issue. I searched, but couldn't find mention of it. It doesn't seem like the location of items in a KIS inventory are tracked in the VAB.

I had a contract for a 5 man base on Minmus with a greenhouse. I built what's shown below (minus the highlighted KIS container). There is a Planetary Base System KIS storage tank between the green house on the far right and the cupola. I filled it with items to be added to the exterior once on the ground, but putting items in the KIS container does not show changes in the center of mass. It became obvious, when I fired up engines around Minmus and started to cartwheel because the actual center of mass was about two meters to the right of the thrust line even though I'd balanced the thrust through the CoM while assembling the base.

I got it down by tweaking the thrust limiters of each engine to balance everything, but it would be simpler if the CoM marker in the editor reflected the actual CoM

I tested that it wasn't just the KPBS part by adding the ISC-6K container (highlighted below) and filling it with KAS ground pylons.  KER shows the mass go up and down as items are added or deleted, but the center of mass marker never moves, once in flight it's obviously different.

Imugur link if embed doesn't work.

oJs20pz.png

9 hours ago, Tonka Crash said:

I ran into a bug or maybe it's a known issue. I searched, but couldn't find mention of it. It doesn't seem like the location of items in a KIS inventory are tracked in the VAB.

I had a contract for a 5 man base on Minmus with a greenhouse. I built what's shown below (minus the highlighted KIS container). There is a Planetary Base System KIS storage tank between the green house on the far right and the cupola. I filled it with items to be added to the exterior once on the ground, but putting items in the KIS container does not show changes in the center of mass. It became obvious, when I fired up engines around Minmus and started to cartwheel because the actual center of mass was about two meters to the right of the thrust line even though I'd balanced the thrust through the CoM while assembling the base.

I got it down by tweaking the thrust limiters of each engine to balance everything, but it would be simpler if the CoM marker in the editor reflected the actual CoM

I tested that it wasn't just the KPBS part by adding the ISC-6K container (highlighted below) and filling it with KAS ground pylons.  KER shows the mass go up and down as items are added or deleted, but the center of mass marker never moves, once in flight it's obviously different.

Imugur link if embed doesn't work.

oJs20pz.png

Tried to reproduce locally, didn't show up to me.

EnuBP19.jpg

Can you reproduce it with the bare minimum of the mods? A video would be just perfect.

@IgorZ Since you graciously spent the time to verify you couldn't reproduce it, I started looking for which mod was causing a conflict and narrowed it down to RCSBuildAid. It's probably a bug in RCSBuildAid, not accounting for items in KIS containers, so I'm crossposting this to it's thread.

Clean install 1.4.5 with KIS, RCSBuildAid and their dependencies.  Screenshot of GameData directory.

Video of bug showing dragging 3 tons between two KIS containers without the CoM moving. At the end add a part to show the CoM does move, just not for items in KIS containers.

6 hours ago, Tonka Crash said:

It's probably a bug in RCSBuildAid, not accounting for items in KIS containers, so I'm crossposting this to it's thread.

It seems this mod completely replaces the stock CoM visualization mechanism. It explains why the behavior is different. Looks like RCSBuildAid mod doesn't detect the change in the container mass, and the stock mechanism has no problems with it.

So sometimes I've had problems where I want to detach a part, but the tool is grayed out. it's not the root part, and the only other part that is attached is the root part (though that has other things attached)

fortunately it was light enough for me to 'g'rab and detach, but it wouldn't' let me just detach in-place.

I've also had a few things explode when I've placed them on the ground.

and I found that attaching a wheel to a lynx rover while it's 'jacked up' using LT-1 landing struts can cause the struts to suddenly explode.

I've also had a problem where after attaching wheels to a rover, one of them refused to turn, causing the vehicle to pull to one side when trying to drive it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.