[Minimum KSP version - 1.12] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) v1.29

IgorZ

I don't know how the save system determines where to put you; I don't have any special mods that manages saves or anything (Edit: I do use Dropbox to share saves between computers; maybe this is the cause). However, I do know that if you save a game while in space (either Quicksave or ESC|Save) and then load one of those saves (immediately or days later), it puts you in space. I *think* if the last autosave was in space and you crashed, it'll put you in space when you come back.

At least I now know what the cause is and presuming the initialization isn't reset on ESC|Load then no big deal.

Edited by doktorstick
note about dropbox

If you load a save file from the main menu (click Start Game, then Resume Game, then select a file and press Load) it should always load from the Persistent.sfs file, and not any of the quicksave or other custom save files. The Persistent file should always load to the space center. So if that isn't happening there is either something weird going on or a mod you don't know about is interfering.

If there is a mod loading different save files, or otherwise skipping the space center screen, I would get rid of it. A lot of mods rely on the Main Menu -> Space Center transition to properly initialize and skipping that scene can really mess things up.

Minor glitch:

I forgot an antenna on my rover.  I kicked an engineer out of the airlock of a passing rocket with a screwdriver, antenna and extra fuel.

The only spot that I could find that it was willing to attach and it wouldn't get in the way was a docking port left over from the trip out.

The recent accomplishments of our space program have attracted contributions from numerous organizations!

We have started constructing the first outpost on Minmus.

We have performed a docking maneuver on Minmus.

I didn't dock anything!  Nor do I really consider a rover to be an outpost although I'll forgive that one.

43 minutes ago, Loren Pechtel said:

Minor glitch:

I forgot an antenna on my rover.  I kicked an engineer out of the airlock of a passing rocket with a screwdriver, antenna and extra fuel.

The only spot that I could find that it was willing to attach and it wouldn't get in the way was a docking port left over from the trip out.

The recent accomplishments of our space program have attracted contributions from numerous organizations!

We have started constructing the first outpost on Minmus.

We have performed a docking maneuver on Minmus.

I didn't dock anything!  Nor do I really consider a rover to be an outpost although I'll forgive that one.

Nice glitch :) Though, I don't see how it can be fixed. Contracts and achievements are handled in the game at level of vessels and parts. Game doesn't support EVA construction, so if dock port got connected the game assumes it was thru docking. If vessel has crewed pod and antenna and generates power then it's an "outpost", and it doesn't matter for the game if it was original design or a KIS constructed one.

16 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

Nice glitch :) Though, I don't see how it can be fixed. Contracts and achievements are handled in the game at level of vessels and parts. Game doesn't support EVA construction, so if dock port got connected the game assumes it was thru docking. If vessel has crewed pod and antenna and generates power then it's an "outpost", and it doesn't matter for the game if it was original design or a KIS constructed one.

Sounds like the game needs a bit of better logic.  Crewed + power + antenna describes some rovers as well as outposts.  (This one has a science lab and every relevant scientific instrument.  When I recover my crew off the Mun I will have enough science to complete the core tech tree but I've got the Interstellar mod loaded--that's a lot more science needed.)

Feature request, if you don't mind:

Allow engineers to retract a non-retractable solar panel. There could be a mass limit to this ability so that you can't retract Nertea's huge blanket panels for exemple... Or maybe you could if you have enough engineers, just like how you can move heavy parts with more kerbals.

20 hours ago, IgorZ said:

1.4.2 (January 28th, 2017)

• [Fix #197] Part is created on the kerbal instead of the target vessel.

I just ran into this bug for the first time (trying to demolish some old pods of rescued kerbals) and came here to see if I could find anything about it -- and it's already fixed!  (And installing the latest version from CKAN did, indeed, fix the problem.)  So I'll just say thanks for this great mod, it adds so much to KSP to be able to change and fix things in flight!

15 hours ago, PickledTripod said:

Feature request, if you don't mind:

Allow engineers to retract a non-retractable solar panel. There could be a mass limit to this ability so that you can't retract Nertea's huge blanket panels for exemple... Or maybe you could if you have enough engineers, just like how you can move heavy parts with more kerbals.

Sounds interesting. I added a feature request.

1 hour ago, Mattasmack said:

I just ran into this bug for the first time (trying to demolish some old pods of rescued kerbals) and came here to see if I could find anything about it -- and it's already fixed!  (And installing the latest version from CKAN did, indeed, fix the problem.)  So I'll just say thanks for this great mod, it adds so much to KSP to be able to change and fix things in flight!

Thanks to the people who spend their time preparing reproducible conditions on a clean installation. I'd unlikely find this issue myself since I was testing on the launchpad where it's never show up.

Bug with kerbal inventory window showing kerbal class:

Create simple ship like on the picture with pilot, engineer and scientist.

Launch.

Move two kerbals to external command seats.

Quick save and quick load.

Spoiler

snmJK8F.jpg

qnYrRmq.jpg

Now kerbals in external command seats have in inventory window info that they have that same class as kerbal in capsule.

Is there any intended relation between the capacity of a container and the number of slots allowed? Just wondering what the original thoughts were around those numbers.

I've installed a few mods that have additional storage containers and I want to align their capacity a little better but I'm looking for some guidance.

I know it make no difference either way and I can change the cfg to anything, I was just hoping for some conceptual starting point to apply  my ideas to. 

16 hours ago, wile1411 said:

Is there any intended relation between the capacity of a container and the number of slots allowed? Just wondering what the original thoughts were around those numbers.

None I'm aware of. It looks for personal inventory limited hotkeys was the main reason of having just 8 slots. For other containers it's just a common sense: smaller containers in general have less slots then larger containers.

Edited by IgorZ

7 minutes ago, Plecy75 said:

bug alert

BmDQAi6.png

Pretty sure this isn't what I designed these things to do...

Unless this image is just another fun fact about KSP we need a detailed explanation of what was done and what was the output + logs.

i just restarted the game. as far as i can tell this bug disappears and reappears at random. i'm sorry i don't have logs, but (as far as i can tell) it's been going on since at least .23. it nearly destroyed 2 of scott manley's ships in interstellar quest

1 minute ago, Plecy75 said:

i just restarted the game. as far as i can tell this bug disappears and reappears at random. i'm sorry i don't have logs, but (as far as i can tell) it's been going on since at least .23. it nearly destroyed 2 of scott manley's ships in interstellar quest

Collier issue on a low gravity planet is a known issue but it's not random. If a base jumps up on game load then it does so in every load. Do you have such a save file? Next question is how have you created the setup in this file? Best thing I can tell from the image is that you probably used KAS to connect two vessel. It's absolutely not enough to locate and fix the bug.

Just now, IgorZ said:

Collier issue on a low gravity planet is a known issue but it's not random. If a base jumps up on game load then it does so in every load. Do you have such a save file? Next question is how have you created the setup in this file? Best thing I can tell from the image is that you probably used KAS to connect two vessel. It's absolutely not enough to locate and fix the bug.

no, the lander (not a base, just a really big lander) does not jump when i load it. yes, i did just connect them with KAS. however this jump was quite slow, this was after about 3 minutes of trying to get it to unlink using that kerbal, but it was also being affected.

3 minutes ago, Plecy75 said:

no, the lander (not a base, just a really big lander) does not jump when i load it. yes, i did just connect them with KAS. however this jump was quite slow, this was after about 3 minutes of trying to get it to unlink using that kerbal, but it was also being affected.

Now it sounds like an error during KAS disconnection which is usually a mods conflict. This can only investigated thru the logs. Next time you get the issue please save the KSP.log file.

1 minute ago, IgorZ said:

Now it sounds like an error during KAS disconnection which is usually a mods conflict. This can only investigated thru the logs. Next time you get the issue please save the KSP.log file.

ok, will do

another question: how do i detach a fuel tank? i am on a suborbital trajectory and i have to detach 2 of the orange tanks seen in the picture or i will crash. each tank is 3 parts, plus a landing leg and rcs thruster

OgEvIIm.png

1 hour ago, Plecy75 said:

another question: how do i detach a fuel tank? i am on a suborbital trajectory and i have to detach 2 of the orange tanks seen in the picture or i will crash. each tank is 3 parts, plus a landing leg and rcs thruster

OgEvIIm.png

In such setup tank is usually a local parent (i.e. it owns the leg and the thruster). If this is true then just go eva, equip screw driver, hold "X", point the tank and click. This will detach the tank with it's subparts. Though, it will be floating, so be careful when doing maneuvers.

I don't think that issue is related with KAS/KIS at all. Similar bug encountered even with stock game:

Seems that reducing terrain detail can help with this bug. I hope that Squad will be able to fix that one for next KSP release.

Is there any way to "cheat" a wrench into an inventory? I've just landed my first Mun mission with a full cargo of surface experiments from the SEP mod, only to find out that the wrench I had placed in one of the seat inventories has mysteriously disappeared. I've gone back to the saved craft in the VAB to double check that it was indeed saved into the inventory and it is there, but it is nowhere to be found on the landing craft or in the inventories of any of my crew. Since I'm using Kerbal Construction Time, the next possible time I could launch a ship up here again is more than 250 days, so I really don't want to waste half the science from this mission thanks solely to an evaporating wrench...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.