[Minimum KSP version - 1.12] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) v1.29

IgorZ

Mildly curious, are there any plans to include any containers larger than 3.75m -- asked primarily because I've gotten addicted to using SpaceY and my go-to size for my tug drones is 5m, corresponding with the fact my minmus fuel depot uses two 5m tanks for its primarily storage.  It's not small. :wink: 

That said, I do want to thank you guys for what you've done, including the hopefully-still-upcoming 3.75m container.  The number of times I've dorked up a station by forgetting a probe core or a docking port or a set of solar panels or ... well, I think you get the point :wink: Y'all have simultaneously saved me a lot of frustration with the game by allowing me to frustrate myself further attempting to tack-weld on 5m parts in orbit. :wink: And thank God for that, for the alternative is worse. :)

5 hours ago, storm6436 said:

Mildly curious, are there any plans to include any containers larger than 3.75m -- asked primarily because I've gotten addicted to using SpaceY and my go-to size for my tug drones is 5m, corresponding with the fact my minmus fuel depot uses two 5m tanks for its primarily storage.  It's not small. :wink: 

There were no such plans so far. But you can put your oversized stuff into 3.75m container as long as the volume is enough. KIS doesn't do strict checks for the geometry of the parts: you can put a 10m beam into ILC-18k container even though in real world it would never fit.

I am using:

KSP 1.2.2, KIS 1.4.3, KAS 0.6.2.0

Issue:

When I drag a screwdriver (for example) to the inventory for a seat (not that it seems to matter what I am adding the inventory to) the inventory window usually disappears when I move my mouse over to the parts side of things. This happens in the VAB and the SPH the same way. The only log I see in the KSP log is:

[ERR 16:00:39.450] ExperienceTrait: Cannot add effect 'ExConstructionSkill' as it does not exist.

I am playing in Sandbox mode, and I am trying to add it to the inventory of the seat before (and after) picking crew.

Later Edit: That error message does not always come up, so it may or may not be related. When I edit the KIS settings to make the parts be part of the seat by default, it works, but the ability to manipulate the inventory in the editor is the issue.

Settings I added:

addToAllSeats = KIS.evapropellant
            addToAllSeats = KIS.electricScrewdriver
            addToAllSeats = KIS.wrench
            addToAllSeats = KAS.CPort1

Any thoughts as to what the cause might be?

Edited by Nog76
Additional debugging information

1 hour ago, Nog76 said:

I am using:

KSP 1.2.2, KIS 1.4.3, KAS 0.6.2.0

Issue:

When I drag a screwdriver (for example) to the inventory for a seat (not that it seems to matter what I am adding the inventory to) the inventory window usually disappears when I move my mouse over to the parts side of things. This happens in the VAB and the SPH the same way. The only log I see in the KSP log is:

I'm getting that problem as well

1 hour ago, Nog76 said:

When I drag a screwdriver (for example) to the inventory for a seat (not that it seems to matter what I am adding the inventory to) the inventory window usually disappears when I move my mouse over to the parts side of things. This happens in the VAB and the SPH the same way

Please, double check what things you hover your mouse over when it happens. It's a known issue that all inventory windows close when hovering over a GUI window created by some third-party mods. E.g. it happens if you hove over KER windows. For some reason game sends a refresh event which triggers closing of all the KIS windows. I never seen it happening for the stock game windows.

@IgorZ I had a thought driving home today thinking about a build I am working on. Vehicles docked into / on other vehicles. Is it possible to make a part that would act much like a Quantum strut. Where you would toggle a "Strut" but something more akin to a tow strap to hold one vehicle to another? Or as a thought / comparison a remote version of a magnet?

On 3/23/2017 at 7:13 PM, storm6436 said:

Are you using TweakScale? I'm fairly certain the containers are compatible with it, and would increase their space as they were scaled up.

On 3/23/2017 at 11:46 PM, IgorZ said:

There were no such plans so far. But you can put your oversized stuff into 3.75m container as long as the volume is enough. KIS doesn't do strict checks for the geometry of the parts: you can put a 10m beam into ILC-18k container even though in real world it would never fit.

Ah.  Was on Kospy's "Planned" section in the old thread, wasn't sure if that had been dropped.  Now I know. 

3 hours ago, wadusher1 said:

Are you using TweakScale? I'm fairly certain the containers are compatible with it, and would increase their space as they were scaled up.

Nah, I toyed with the idea a while back but it always felt cheaty to me. 

30 minutes ago, storm6436 said:

Ah.  Was on Kospy's "Planned" section in the old thread, wasn't sure if that had been dropped.  Now I know. 

In fact, I was thinking about smaller containers. 1.75m unmanned missions were pretty frequent in my carrier since forgetting to bring a couple of required items on the orbit was my curse (and cheating was not an option!)  :)  I never had a need to bring enough staff for a 3.75m container, though. Anyways, making a new container doesn't require any programming. A new part can easily be created by just adjusting an existing config. I'm open for the suggestions. If there is a dozen of people who need a particular part configuration I can add it. Put your idea here, vote it up, and you'll get it :wink:

6 hours ago, V8jester said:

@IgorZ I had a thought driving home today thinking about a build I am working on. Vehicles docked into / on other vehicles. Is it possible to make a part that would act much like a Quantum strut. Where you would toggle a "Strut" but something more akin to a tow strap to hold one vehicle to another? Or as a thought / comparison a remote version of a magnet?

It sounds to me as a cheat (and I'm a big "cheat hater"), but I'm not sure if I get the idea right. A screenshot may help :) 

On 13.10.2016 at 7:15 AM, IgorZ said:

Extra parts. If you like fun parts (like taco, beer, boom box, etc.) you may install fun parts pack:

• Download Fun Parts Pack release archive.
  • Extract into your game's folder.
  • Note that fun pack lives in own folder and won't be automatically removed when KIS is deinstalled.

Guitar and GettoBlaster has wrong soundpaths in configs.

Can you add option to change sound? Or at least to turn off. Now sound do not stop even if blaster is completely destroyed.

Would you add more fun here?

13 hours ago, storm6436 said:

Nah, I toyed with the idea a while back but it always felt cheaty to me. 

I see. Well I don't consider it cheaty when used on simple parts like containers, especially when you use a size you already unlocked, but I can't force you to use it. However, unless this mod eventually gets a 3.75m container your only option is an MM config or Tweakscale.

There are mods that add their own large KIS containers, but the aesthetic is usually completely different. I've seen huge containers in Lack Luster Labs, for example, but they're boxes...

14 hours ago, IgorZ said:

It sounds to me as a cheat (and I'm a big "cheat hater"), but I'm not sure if I get the idea right. A screenshot may help :) 

Well, What I had intended was drive one vehicle onto another click a button and "Strap" it down to the deck with tie downs. I am currently using an IR piston with a magnet on the end to accomplish this. But the idea of a part that could project a strut out and grab something else accomplishing the same things but in a cleaner / smaller way would be outstanding. And in my humble opinion be a valuable addition to KAS that would be useful but not necessarily any more of a "cheat" than being able to attach two ships with a cable which was never in the stock game to start with.

Here are a couple of examples.

Tanks on an LCAC (magnets set upside down on the deck will not grab some wheels "KF" shown here)

screenshot68_zps0dzeqy1c.png~original

Cargo or vehicles set onto a trailer (this could be done with Magnets set upside down in certain circumstances)

screenshot48_zpsnnqs9suc.png~original

On 3/25/2017 at 0:51 PM, V8jester said:

And in my humble opinion be a valuable addition to KAS that would be useful but not necessarily any more of a "cheat" than being able to attach two ships with a cable which was never in the stock game to start with.

KAS 0.9 is officially a cheat :) But KAS 1.0 is not. All parts in KAS 1.0 are material, meaning you cannot bring a pipe out of nowhere. And, to be honest, I still don't quite understand the concept. You've said you accomplished it using IR and a magnet. Could you please show this setup? Btw, if you put something on a trailer and need to fix the payload then PCB1 from KAS 1.0 is what you need.

Had a thought on how to improve this mod:

Add a set of parts:  Manipulator arms.  They would come in various strengths and sizes--they would be rocket components, probably fitting in the rocket stack rather than radial.

They would work like an EVA kerbal except with the range & mass limits of the part.  As with Kerbals now, don't worry about the animation of manipulating the part.

3 hours ago, Loren Pechtel said:

Had a thought on how to improve this mod:

Add a set of parts:  Manipulator arms.  They would come in various strengths and sizes--they would be rocket components, probably fitting in the rocket stack rather than radial.

They would work like an EVA kerbal except with the range & mass limits of the part.  As with Kerbals now, don't worry about the animation of manipulating the part.

You might want to give your kerbals some parts from RoverDude's Konstruction mod - namely the grabbers and such. They dramatically improve the individual lift capacity of nearby kerbals, as well as their range, so you can move multi-ton part stacks the same way you move any other KIS part with these nearby, and not have to worry about controlling the cranes unless you use them to move parts over large distances.

On 3/25/2017 at 0:32 AM, IgorZ said:

In fact, I was thinking about smaller containers. 1.75m unmanned missions were pretty frequent in my carrier since forgetting to bring a couple of required items on the orbit was my curse (and cheating was not an option!)  :)  I never had a need to bring enough staff for a 3.75m container, though. Anyways, making a new container doesn't require any programming. A new part can easily be created by just adjusting an existing config. I'm open for the suggestions. If there is a dozen of people who need a particular part configuration I can add it. Put your idea here, vote it up, and you'll get it 

Well, I've been using the Universal storage KIS containers for most of my truly small storage needs.  In that vein in trying to design a general purpose cargo tug, I did run into something the "smaller" theme would address.  Have you considered doing fractional height containers?  Short models, that is.  One more than few occasions I've looked at the space left in a service bay and frowned that I couldn't fit a container in there at the same time. 

Anyway, 3.75m container fits the bill to cover for my perennial forgetfulness of probe cores/stack guidance systems and docking ports... and is probably large enough to hold both.  Ever notice that when you forget something, it's almost always the most inconvenient part to miss? :P  Never something small like Bob's stamp collection. 

I had an interesting experience the other day.  While floating and recovering some parts from a splashed-down spacecraft, Bill Kerman apparently loaded down his inventory so much that he began sinking.  Then, he was unable to jettison any of his inventory because there was no ground on which to set things, and I learned what the crush depth of a Kerbal is.  

Am I missing a drop-item keybinding somewhere?

3 hours ago, fourfa said:

I had an interesting experience the other day.  While floating and recovering some parts from a splashed-down spacecraft, Bill Kerman apparently loaded down his inventory so much that he began sinking.  Then, he was unable to jettison any of his inventory because there was no ground on which to set things, and I learned what the crush depth of a Kerbal is.  

Am I missing a drop-item keybinding somewhere?

Don't keep us waiting...what's the crush depth? Asking for a friend. 

16 hours ago, wadusher1 said:

You might want to give your kerbals some parts from RoverDude's Konstruction mod - namely the grabbers and such. They dramatically improve the individual lift capacity of nearby kerbals, as well as their range, so you can move multi-ton part stacks the same way you move any other KIS part with these nearby, and not have to worry about controlling the cranes unless you use them to move parts over large distances.

I grabbed that not long ago for the power transmission capability.  I haven't investigated it's cranes yet.  Sounds like there's no need for KIS to do it.

I find myself unable to do what I would have thought to be fairly simple:

I accidentally blocked the door on my science lab.  I sent over a nearby engineer to free it.  He removed the offending part but managed to drop it.  I don't actually need the part (it was there for symmetry) but I didn't want to waste it but I can't manage to do anything sane with it.  The lowest attachable spot on the rocket is 3.1 meters, I can't move with it picked up (to use the jetpack to get up there), I can't put it in inventory and go up.  It would be a long haul to take it back to the rocket the engineer came from.

2 hours ago, Loren Pechtel said:

I grabbed that not long ago for the power transmission capability.  I haven't investigated it's cranes yet.  Sounds like there's no need for KIS to do it.

I find myself unable to do what I would have thought to be fairly simple:

I accidentally blocked the door on my science lab.  I sent over a nearby engineer to free it.  He removed the offending part but managed to drop it.  I don't actually need the part (it was there for symmetry) but I didn't want to waste it but I can't manage to do anything sane with it.  The lowest attachable spot on the rocket is 3.1 meters, I can't move with it picked up (to use the jetpack to get up there), I can't put it in inventory and go up.  It would be a long haul to take it back to the rocket the engineer came from.

Can you post a screenshot of the craft and what you're trying to accomplish? I might be able to help if I can see what's wrong with your vessel and what you're trying to carry.

Edited by wadusher1

10 minutes ago, wadusher1 said:

Can you post a screenshot of the craft and what you're trying to accomplish? I might be able to help if I can see what's wrong with your vessel and what you're trying to carry.

I don't think anything is wrong with the vessel (after I removed the offending part.  There's no question I blocked the hatch originally) other than the landing legs being too long.  The problem is how do you get up the rocket with a part when you're in a gravity field?

Edited by Loren Pechtel

Just now, Loren Pechtel said:

I don't think anything is wrong with the vessel other than the landing legs being too long.  The problem is how do you get up the rocket with a part when you're in a gravity field?

Oh I see. Well, a good way to increase the effective range of a kerbal is to move halfway between the part you need to manipulate and the location it needs to be moved to. In theory a part can be moved twice as far as your kerbal's actual range this way. :wink:

You will need to put a ladder between the part and it's destination to keep the kerbal in place. If you don't have a ladder you might be able to stand on top of the vessel carrying the crane, assuming you parked it in the right place.

If all else fails you can just go in the config and increase the range from 3 meters to, say, 3.5 meters. I personally have it set to 30 meters for the increased freedom to tack parts together in orbit, and because 3 meters is frustratingly tiny. :) 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.