[Minimum KSP version - 1.12] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) v1.29

IgorZ

8 minutes ago, wadusher1 said:

Oh I see. Well, a good way to increase the effective range of a kerbal is to move halfway between the part you need to manipulate and the location it needs to be moved to. In theory a part can be moved twice as far as your kerbal's actual range this way. :wink:

You will need to put a ladder between the part and it's destination to keep the kerbal in place. If you don't have a ladder you might be able to stand on top of the vessel carrying the crane, assuming you parked it in the right place.

If all else fails you can just go in the config and increase the range from 3 meters to, say, 3.5 meters. I personally have it set to 30 meters for the increased freedom to tack parts together in orbit, and because 3 meters is frustratingly tiny. :) 

No ladders, this is on Ike.  The jetpack works fine, why haul a ladder?  (Although I do wish I had equipped the engineers' vessel with one.  It's loaded with solar panels and a jetpack approach would likely break some so I have to retract the panels before EVA operations.)

I haven't sent a crane yet.  I'm tempted to change the distance, I find all the KIS distances annoyingly short and asking for broken solar panels.

Just now, Loren Pechtel said:

No ladders, this is on Ike.  The jetpack works fine, why haul a ladder?  (Although I do wish I had equipped the engineers' vessel with one.  It's loaded with solar panels and a jetpack approach would likely break some so I have to retract the panels before EVA operations.)

I haven't sent a crane yet.  I'm tempted to change the distance, I find all the KIS distances annoyingly short and asking for broken solar panels.

You say you have a science lab on this vessel, correct? If so, you should be able to grab on to the very bottom of that one. If you have that between the part and where you want the part it'll help tremendously. If not, you can still use the jetpack to have your kerbal hover in the midpoint, but in order for him to be useful up there you need the Time Control mod to freeze the physics timestep, allowing you to attach parts to your ship while floating several meters above Ike's surface. This is, of course, the most Kerbal way to attach parts to a ship I can think of. :P

I highly recommend against attempting that stunt without Time Control. It's possible in theory, but you get a fraction of a second to do it properly without it. I've tested this and the game doesn't glitch out or throw a Kraken attack if you attach parts to a ship with frozen physics. :)

49 minutes ago, wadusher1 said:

You say you have a science lab on this vessel, correct? If so, you should be able to grab on to the very bottom of that one. If you have that between the part and where you want the part it'll help tremendously. If not, you can still use the jetpack to have your kerbal hover in the midpoint, but in order for him to be useful up there you need the Time Control mod to freeze the physics timestep, allowing you to attach parts to your ship while floating several meters above Ike's surface. This is, of course, the most Kerbal way to attach parts to a ship I can think of. :P

I highly recommend against attempting that stunt without Time Control. It's possible in theory, but you get a fraction of a second to do it properly without it. I've tested this and the game doesn't glitch out or throw a Kraken attack if you attach parts to a ship with frozen physics. :)

The science lab is too far up.  It's a lab sitting on it's descent engine (and fuel), legs and a power receiver.  It's a power receiver that's the problem.  It won't attach to the legs or engine, the next lowest item is the fuel tank and it's just too high.

That time control mod looks nice.  I've wanted something like it before.  It would also be nice for practicing manual landing.

9 minutes ago, Loren Pechtel said:

The science lab is too far up.  It's a lab sitting on it's descent engine (and fuel), legs and a power receiver.  It's a power receiver that's the problem.  It won't attach to the legs or engine, the next lowest item is the fuel tank and it's just too high.

That time control mod looks nice.  I've wanted something like it before.  It would also be nice for practicing manual landing.

Hmm... now that you mention it, I think you might be able to just get your kerbal to stand on the landing gear and that way you can reach both the fuel tank and your power receiver and attach it just fine. That depends on the gear of course, as it needs to be the kind of gear to have a flat vertical surface where it attaches to the ship. If it doesn't have that, you might as well use the Time Control jetpack solution.

19 minutes ago, wadusher1 said:

Hmm... now that you mention it, I think you might be able to just get your kerbal to stand on the landing gear and that way you can reach both the fuel tank and your power receiver and attach it just fine. That depends on the gear of course, as it needs to be the kind of gear to have a flat vertical surface where it attaches to the ship. If it doesn't have that, you might as well use the Time Control jetpack solution.

Standing on the top of the legs would leave me unable to reach the ground.  Time Control + jetpack.

1 hour ago, wadusher1 said:

KIS attach actions are heavily relying on the physics frame updates. It may work but the warranty is void :)

Edited by IgorZ

2 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

KIS attach actions are heavily relying on the physics frame updates. It may work but the warranty is void :)

Oh no, it works. I've done it numerous times with no glitches or explosions. If it didn't work right I wouldn't recommend it. :wink:

No idea why but even at 0.0x time warp KIS will allow you to tack on parts to other parts hassle free. Or at least it works with Time Control - you could do it with Better Time Warp too, but I hear that's glitchier at 0x warp. Maybe even Kraken inducing. :P

7 hours ago, Tarheel1999 said:

Don't keep us waiting...what's the crush depth? Asking for a friend. 

Putting under a spoiler...

Spoiler

Seems to be the same depth as most (all?) other parts in KSP - 396m

1 hour ago, EpicPandaForever said:

Hello! I have used this mod in the past and have loved it, but the inventory system no longer works! I try to put items inside containers and inventories, but they do not go inside and simply appear in red behind them as if i wanted to place them. Can you please help me?

When you click to grab you have to hold the button down

On 3/27/2017 at 10:16 AM, fourfa said:

I had an interesting experience the other day.  While floating and recovering some parts from a splashed-down spacecraft, Bill Kerman apparently loaded down his inventory so much that he began sinking.  Then, he was unable to jettison any of his inventory because there was no ground on which to set things, and I learned what the crush depth of a Kerbal is.  

Am I missing a drop-item keybinding somewhere?

Let me restate this question more clearly: is it possible to drop items while swimming?

1 hour ago, fourfa said:

Let me restate this question more clearly: is it possible to drop items while swimming?

Drag-n-drop is a UI design, not the part moving concept. I.e. when you drag a part you don't actually "hold" it, you just declare a desire to move the part somewhere. And when you drop the part the action is completed instantly. That said, if you need to physically move a part you must either attach temporarily attach it to something or put it into an inventory. If you don't care about physics reality then just increase the KIS distance limit :)

4 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

Drag-n-drop is a UI design, not the part moving concept. I.e. when you drag a part you don't actually "hold" it, you just declare a desire to move the part somewhere. And when you drop the part the action is completed instantly. That said, if you need to physically move a part you must either attach temporarily attach it to something or put it into an inventory. If you don't care about physics reality then just increase the KIS distance limit :)

How do you put a part into inventory?  When I was trying to recover a dropped part on Ike I was unable to place it into my inventory.

5 minutes ago, Loren Pechtel said:

How do you put a part into inventory?  When I was trying to recover a dropped part on Ike I was unable to place it into my inventory.

Putting parts into inventory on Ike is no different from the same action on Kerbin or in the editor. Can you do it there? What error do you get on Ike?

1 minute ago, Loren Pechtel said:

I tried to drag the part to the guy's backpack, it wouldn't go there.  No message.

Now it sounds like a mods conflict. Let's try to troubleshoot it. We need the screenshots and the KSP.log file (the one located in the game's root).

3 hours ago, Loren Pechtel said:

I tried to drag the part to the guy's backpack, it wouldn't go there.  No message.

Were you holding G when you dragged it? By default, that's the button you're meant to use when moving parts from EVA to an inventory.

I was building a small craft from scratch (straight from KIS container with no pre-launched root part) on the Mun surface. While it had sufficient communications, power and a probe core it couldn't launch. Is this something that can't be done, and if not could it (at all/easily) be added as a feature? This is something I think would be cool to be able to do. This was a while ago and I have since recycled the parts but I could try to recreate for pics.

Edited by Skylon

1 hour ago, Skylon said:

I was building a small craft from scratch (straight from KIS container with no pre-launched root part) on the Mun surface. While it had sufficient communications, power and a probe core it couldn't launch. Is this something that can't be done, and if not could it (at all/easily) be added as a feature? This is something I think would be cool to be able to do. This was a while ago and I have since recycled the parts but I could try to recreate for pics.

Did you do a "control from here" on the probe core?

4 hours ago, dlrk said:

Is there a setting I can change to allow carriable items to be stored in a seat's inventory? Not sure why this isn't allowed

I'm not sure what you mean but did you know seats in command pods don't have inventories. The inventory you see for seats is the inventory of the kerbal that sits there. If there's no kerbal then the items won't be there either.

At least that's how it used to be. I haven't been following things too close lately.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.