[Minimum KSP version - 1.12] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) v1.29

IgorZ

For whatever reason, item stacking isn't working on my install. Drag dropping items onto each other and right clicking aren't having any effect.

What is/where is the code that enables item stacking in the VAB editor and in flight? I'm pretty comfortable making edits to mods after I get my hands on them, I just need to know where to look.

Your help is appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

@IgorZ is there a way to disable the tool tip when attaching parts? I mean the hints about wich key do what, ie:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XneipjVy8Eko1ynAbLZ0qcw015r944RQ/view?usp=sharing

But not, for example, the tooltip that tell you how many parts are attached to the one you are moving ( very helpful this one )

Thanks

1 hour ago, brusura said:

@IgorZ is there a way to disable the tool tip when attaching parts? I mean the hints about wich key do what, ie:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XneipjVy8Eko1ynAbLZ0qcw015r944RQ/view?usp=sharing

But not, for example, the tooltip that tell you how many parts are attached to the one you are moving ( very helpful this one )

Thanks

Nope. The tooltips cannot be disabled or customized. However, it's a good idea for the future development.

• 2 weeks later...

How does KIS determine the volume of a part? I play with Realism Overhaul and a lot of part sizes are super unreasonable. A scewdriver is 3 liters, and the FASA ALSEP packages are like 10,000 liters, which is obviously absurd. Is there a way to change it?

8 minutes ago, brooklyn666 said:

How does KIS determine the volume of a part? I play with Realism Overhaul and a lot of part sizes are super unreasonable. A scewdriver is 3 liters, and the FASA ALSEP packages are like 10,000 liters, which is obviously absurd. Is there a way to change it?

For the volume calculation read this thread. And yes, you can override the volume: just add module `ModuleKISItem` with the `volumeOverride` field set to the desirable value.

17 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

For the volume calculation read this thread. And yes, you can override the volume: just add module `ModuleKISItem` with the `volumeOverride` field set to the desirable value.

Let's pretend I have no idea how to do that. Where might I find a step-by-step guide explained like I'm five?

6 minutes ago, brooklyn666 said:

Let's pretend I have no idea how to do that. Where might I find a step-by-step guide explained like I'm five?

Sorry, I don't have a manual for kids - never thought it may be needed in this game :)  However, using this sample you may figure out how to update a part using ModuleManager. And if you have no idea what is ModuleManager, then the very thing you have to do is learning it. Alas, there is no way to hack a part property without understanding the basics.

21 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

Sorry, I don't have a manual for kids - never thought it may be needed in this game :)  However, using this sample you may figure out how to update a part using ModuleManager. And if you have no idea what is ModuleManager, then the very thing you have to do is learning it. Alas, there is no way to hack a part property without understanding the basics.

I didn't mean literally 5. Basically I just needed an example which is exactly what you gave me me, so thank you.

so i just dropped a few KIS containers on the surfus of minmus that contained a bunch of things i used to setup a basic outpost.  i dropped some solar panels, all the SEP parts, a few "sunflower" lights, some DERP supply bags, etc.   nothing fancy just a bare minimum to have some kerbals setup and get the SEP running with a bit of life support to keep them alive during this time.  but then i had an idea.  these empty KIS containers are now just sitting on the surface so i was wondering if it would be posible to make a kis item that was basically a "foldable bunk" that we could put in the container.  it would of course take up some of the KIS inventory space, but after the container was emptied it would then be unfolded taking up much more of the space but making the container into a rudimentry shelter. such that a kerbal could indeed live here for some time. it would not need any "tanks" as the life support supplies could be removed from the container and attached to the outside of it with KAS, and it need not have any HAB bonus for mods like USI-LS or Keep Fit etc.  basically just a cot in the container so the kerbal is not EVA, which many life support type of mods consider bad, and a kerbl can't survive for long on EVA even with all other life support criteria met.

basically this would be a part with some volume, maybe 100 liters. and when expanded it would have a volume of maybe 1000 liters, but it would make the KIS container habitable.  assming you have power and food etc. taken care of this emergency shelter might give your kerbal the ability to survive for a month or something.

On 4/6/2017 at 7:18 AM, Skylon said:

Could we have an inline 1.25m container? Currently if I want to have a crew craft with cargo it requires more storage than I want, and the current small container is hard to integrate into designs with it looking good. You could just scale down the larger one and change the name and stats. If it isn't that easy don't worry.

Almost a year later, but I dropped by for this exact reason too. Are there any options for inline storage in a 1.25m radius cylinder stack? As @Skylon ran into, the cubical containers are really bulky on a 1.25m stack. I found that Universal Storage has "wedges" that can be KIS containers, and they do fit in a 1.25m radius, but what you have then is four small containers each with their own small inventory (so can hold a bunch of small  items, but no larger item).

@Wadusher0 mentioned Modular Kolonization System (MKS) has one (the Flat Tank) as well:

I don't run life-support mods, so that one's preety overkill for just adding in a container part.

One that came up in a recent search but I haven't tried yet is Phoenix Cargo Resupply System, which looks like it has some smaller options, but isn't updated for 1.3:

Anyone have experience with that one or have other options for small-size storage like this?

Edited by MidnightLightning

not sure what tanks you have but...

KIS itself,  Blue Dog Design Bureau , Wildblue Industries, USI, as well as Phoenix Industries, all have nice KIS inline stack containers.  even if they do not support rescale nativly use the "tweakscale" mod and they will do so.  and yes even if Phoenix does not list 1.3.1 i am using it and do not seem to have any problems yet.

i am sure there are others as well. just ask around on all the various part mods that have container like parts (try contares, KW rocketry, Fuel Tanks plus, etc) and see if that mod authpor will include KIS support.  most will be willing to do so if people ask for it in the individual mod's forums. 

or as a last resort (or first choice i guess.  it is up to you) make your own part using a model that you have in your game now, and just give it KIS container module.  you can do this with a simple "blablabla.cfg" file anywhere in the gamedata folder.  using the model and texture modules as you can find in most parts these days you can then make a totally new custom part using any model and texture you have installed.   then look at the .cfg for a part that has KIS container and put that module on your part as well.

Edited by Bit Fiddler

Is there another location to download the file?  Using Opera, my system is saying there is a virus detected when downloading from Curse....

I love the mod and it is on my must-list.  Thank you for your hard work and your time!

1 hour ago, Fizwalker said:

Is there another location to download the file?  Using Opera, my system is saying there is a virus detected when downloading from Curse....

The mod is also available on CKAN. Btw, does Opera complain about any KSP mod on Curse or KIS only?

It complains about KIS/KAS and the lights.... Haven't tried any others yet

Edit: Tried Planet shine as well, and a no go with that one (4 of 4 mods haven't worked with curse. Not sure if it is a browser thing or something up with Curse.)

Edited by Fizwalker

10 hours ago, Fizwalker said:

Edit: Tried Planet shine as well, and a no go with that one (4 of 4 mods haven't worked with curse. Not sure if it is a browser thing or something up with Curse.)

I'd say it's a browser thing. They see a DLL file inside the archive and assume it's a virus without doing the actual check. Btw, it's a very reasonable assumption since any DLL can be (or contain) a virus or a backdoor. Even if it's a KSP addon. Alas, Unity doesn't offer any security mechanism or sandboxing of the plug-ins. Basically, any mod you install into the game can dump any data from your system into Internet :( 

18 hours ago, IgorZ said:

I'd say it's a browser thing. They see a DLL file inside the archive and assume it's a virus without doing the actual check. Btw, it's a very reasonable assumption since any DLL can be (or contain) a virus or a backdoor. Even if it's a KSP addon. Alas, Unity doesn't offer any security mechanism or sandboxing of the plug-ins. Basically, any mod you install into the game can dump any data from your system into Internet :( 

I suppose for those of us who've no clue how to check it out, we have to trust the creators to not dump extra stuff on our machines. At any rate, I picked up ckan and got the mods that way.  Thank you for your help! Again, I appreciate your work on these mods.

fairly safe bet, as if anybody ever did check up on them and find anything fishy it would be all over the place and you would hear about it any way.   so you can pretty much safely assume there is no problems in the .dll you get here, as i am sure there are people that do check up on them from time to time.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.