[Minimum KSP version - 1.12] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) v1.29

IgorZ

@IgorZIt seems like getting the drop prompt is triggered by a collider and I've never been able to drag something out of the inventory and let it go when there are absolutely nothing in range around your Kerbal to collide with. 

Edited by Tonka Crash

3 minutes ago, Tonka Crash said:

@IgorZIt seems like getting the drop prompt is triggered by a collider and I've never been able to drag something out of the inventory and let it go when there are absolutely nothing in range around your Kerbal to collide with. 

Can you make a short video? I drop stuff at kerbals almost every time when working on orbit, never had issues (except the ports - it's a pain). I have only a dozen of  mods, though.

• 2 weeks later...

In case of you were wondering what tools are used by the real astronauts IRL. Here is a real wrench used in space during the Space Shuttle program:

ENyveuG.png

It looks very generic, but I bet its price is much higher then you may expect :) 

And a bonus: a real engineer's inventory.

3CCTxTA.png

Edited by IgorZ

1 hour ago, IgorZ said:

In case of you were wondering what tools are used by the real astronauts IRL. Here is a real wrench used in space during the Space Shuttle program:

d0IA541qCRLG7DAg_K-7Mk5L5HzF3HeISGWWcSCSvFknCv-0dZN2BNquzgaCOpPBl1AzOYG8gOC9R5L3iwl59HycvUtJiqsBzuOUhCtlw8Dyt7zXPizqSTExPVikNixJMvsij2iGumPIdE1qbxyLQOGUmMkHDue-Wf7MR0yTfd8Nsqa2baI14hhBUsd5SyacR_AIlT6d0zoUtPvo9FHwzObpfa6hoycv8ljDGSfsSSAUnNID6vs81hgX-VRUHp1BRr7p5_HVtuYJnRD0F4ufjqV4fx3dpIg7v-1jeh8khEDzlYF9V8omGLTt7BpFKP6Ns3FFV5x4pNXwGW7OXH1RdCMv2ItCXj0biyzFeW8qcDUVzrMagVz1UeT153-XEAm8Z-Uv2sJdpzqQ_veL3p20XWZR_ButYpZL2Bz0Vat7vMaA0Y2WuxPFxI5v-Qbfq-RlAUsY3mxRP7anby89bqoDwXUxiBygWlm4oVYWzVMltWal5t3uAXvc8JVdMm-tH1TyImfrdJT8NwTc9HuwRxY1vWaXEbRAYIuvANYEeRh7r3dKji5yGDhLQ8Ao-uqYS58QzGm1b1WXKNHtTGwjiESgTrQuJ7i4bP3A9EX8lsZ3A9Ji0M0ICKotywt_3-C1k0Ka=w1920-h934-no

It looks very generic, but I bet its price is much higher then you may expect :) 

And a bonus: a real engineer's inventory.

L1kRiieOhKnnkQAk_QqAjauBVqfIXadb_3ULYDqqV7-i1xDYtuOlJqdgRtcMLXXYqegpkrUbsBhYNkW6JAiAQWXltgCKTf6OlJrQg8jeK9GG1w5qNHcirlcEZoYNBHFsLVU2JsTtnFWhs3GWF2PX-Qqt34FLYuniBq--VsibBCAO19-y8qY0jZkqsCd1Onva9uZ096hIykRZgcg0rqqE0jYWb-B-SsnSStCyOTuAZKhB-n_ZDvuHGnDG5XD6bLLOFlKdKOxmEtWn64S0-sXrNdf3dx8Bn23Y5wjRjUX7cPEXWqcb10YuQFaE-3Dkuhy9JumVOHYFmOrCpH4MA-mnSM9ahtI8yf7AI4Co-oshmRorca91SdbUUw9Ngb9p9F2lA0ZPmpGSNmyL_w5fynR-b_T_vo2ro-VH9Gm70k8pX5OEaz-kVFVRlg6a6CS5yhI7dqYP8rr3j6oa0WW2S5bnPMWBlCE7G2dRntAxE96RRoh40wham-Wp53GfBO4mqXQDZNwqxog3VO7FZQ58bApREvcwOORniE1gzT2JxJ9dyWq-IAH6KmVDmHywVgisZUGcnXQbGQf5nyQdZRlNvXndBoqjYzvsbs6bZ7zOVB3vpl7ddSeGLQjv_2MfWRi7tkT7=w459-h943-no

I suppose above should be picture ? Neither it looks like link for something or some kind of data in hex format, too many latters for hex, that one use only up to "F" :)

Forum do funny stuff sometimes.

8 hours ago, kcs123 said:

I suppose above should be picture ? Neither it looks like link for something or some kind of data in hex format, too many latters for hex, that one use only up to "F" :)

Forum do funny stuff sometimes.

Yeah I just see broken image links.   Its like an empty space with a minus sign in the middle. 

25 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

@kcs123, @eberkain It's funny, it works just fine to me. Maybe it's because of I'm using Windows 10? Anyways, I've updated the post tio use Imgur. This solution always works.

I'm on Windows 10 and Firefox 64-bit and the original form of the post to me was the same as @kcs123 and @eberkain saw it.  Rewrite using Imgur is good.  Must be something else.

18 hours ago, IgorZ said:

@kcs123, @eberkain It's funny, it works just fine to me. Maybe it's because of I'm using Windows 10? Anyways, I've updated the post tio use Imgur. This solution always works.

I'm on Windows 10 and Firefox 64-bit too, so it have to be something else in the middle :)

Anyhow, nice pics, thanks for re-upload.

Hi, any chance to not restrict the use of the tools to engineers only? What do I need to change?

I guess in the part cfg: " !repairskill ", or something like that?

EDIT: I've finally found solution as explained on the github wiki :)

Edited by kurgut

7 hours ago, TheAngryHulk said:

I'm looking for the Kontainer Tank(05m) in the R&D building but I can't seem to find it. What can you tell me what category that would be under?

For me, with GPP+GEP installed, it's under Advanced Logistics.  Depending on what mods you have installed, the location may be different.

You might want to try QuckSearch.  Search for "logistics & contain & 5." to get a rough idea.

6 minutes ago, TronX33 said:

Is there any way for a Kerbal to "carry" a part like the SC-62 container? I've found that I need to slowly inch whatever part i need to move by attaching and detaching it along my ship's hull.

The part must explicitly support "carry" ability. That said, no, you cannot carry an arbitrary part. Only a few parts support it.

I need some help, I'm trying to use this along with KAS and when in EVA I can't open the inventory of any containers or my kerbal. the option doesn't even appear for the kerbal, but it does for the containers. In the containers, when you press the button, it just makes a noise and nothing else happens. i have tried removing every other mod and starting a new sandbox game, but, nothing works

2 hours ago, waverider4254 said:

I need some help, I'm trying to use this along with KAS and when in EVA I can't open the inventory of any containers or my kerbal. the option doesn't even appear for the kerbal, but it does for the containers. In the containers, when you press the button, it just makes a noise and nothing else happens. i have tried removing every other mod and starting a new sandbox game, but, nothing works

From the symptoms I'd say you've improperly installed the mod or there are missing deps. Try going thru this troubleshooting guide. If it doesn't help, then we need the game logs (see the guide to learn which logs we need).

On 9/16/2018 at 10:07 PM, TronX33 said:

Gotcha. Guess I'll go try and make my own ModuleManager patch then.

I bet you'll have hard times trying to align the part on the kerbal model :) I had to create a helper mod for that. I will probably publish it in the next KIS version, but so far it's not ready for release.

• 2 weeks later...

KSP v1.4.5 (GPP+GEP) with KIS v1.14, KAS v0.6.4, Nehemiah Engineering Orbital Science 0.7.2 (not the only mods but the ones I believe are pertinent).

I'm truly unsure where to post this problem as it seems to cover all three of the mods above.  I'll start here.

I have two NEOS KEES Experiment Carriers, with one of them containing an experiment, attached to the surface of my craft in Gael orbit.  The science is done (finalized in NEOS parlance).  The parts were originally attached using KAS during an EVA.  However, when I try to detach any of the parts and drag them to the EVA Kerbal's inventory or a  container, the drag ghost slides underneath the inventory window.  I've tried G and X.  The Kerbal is equipped with a drill.

Oh, bother - never mind.  After restarting the game three times to get the information for this post, it now mysteriously works.  Just the threat of asking the community for help shamed KSP and mods to behave.  I can safely deorbit now.

Thanks, all, for just being here.:confused:

Edited by Brigadier

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2018 at 6:45 AM, TronX33 said:

Is there any way for a Kerbal to "carry" a part like the SC-62 container? I've found that I need to slowly inch whatever part i need to move by attaching and detaching it along my ship's hull.

SC-62 is carryable by default. Drag it to inventory [tab] and the kerbal will wear it.

Normally you can carry any item under the weight limit any distance in microgravity through a trick: get the kerbal on a 'flyby' trajectory by the part you want to carry in direction you want the part placed. Grab while flying, drop when close to the target point. You can't steer between them, just let your momentum carry you, so it's quite tricky to get right, but I've been moving quite heavy loads around Gilly that way.

To grab even heavier items, gather many kerbals within 'grab' distance of the heavy item, 1 kerbal per ton, and have your designated 'carrier' (engineer) do the flyby. Only the 'grab' location matters, you don't need the whole group at the destination. (of course attaching it precisely where you want while flying quickly isn't all that easy, but hey, it's a game!)

Edited by Sharpy

@IgorZ I think I have found a KIS bug. I searched this thread for "tube" and didn't get hits, so maybe no one else has seen this.  KIS does not seem to recognize the correct length of stock structural tubes. It treats all tubes as the shortest length. In the picture I'm trying to connect two tubes of the longest length end-to-end. Cycling through the nodes using R does not get the tubes connected end to end just different amounts of overlap.  Shortest length tubes have no problem, all longer length tubes seem to be recognized as the short length. I only checked shortest, 2nd shortest and longest tubes. I tried a connecting a couple other parts to the end of the tube and none of them worked. They all wanted to connect as if the tube were the shortest length.

ZJ144gg.png

7 hours ago, Tonka Crash said:

@IgorZ I think I have found a KIS bug. I searched this thread for "tube" and didn't get hits, so maybe no one else has seen this.  KIS does not seem to recognize the correct length of stock structural tubes. It treats all tubes as the shortest length. In the picture I'm trying to connect two tubes of the longest length end-to-end. Cycling through the nodes using R does not get the tubes connected end to end just different amounts of overlap.  Shortest length tubes have no problem, all longer length tubes seem to be recognized as the short length. I only checked shortest, 2nd shortest and longest tubes. I tried a connecting a couple other parts to the end of the tube and none of them worked. They all wanted to connect as if the tube were the shortest length.

ZJ144gg.png

Could you please specify the names of the parts you're using in the tests? The only stock tube I know is "Structural Fuselage", but it has one size only. By a chance, are you using any mod that scales the parts?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.