[Minimum KSP version - 1.12] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) v1.29

IgorZ

3 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

What you've proposed was a feature to the mod (if we're talking about that spawning parts idea), and what is actually done is a simple debug dialog.

Well, yes, and what would it take to integrate the spawning to a part's function? In technical/coding terms, I mean, I may be able to figure out the rest from that.

8 hours ago, rfelipe200 said:

Well, yes, and what would it take to integrate the spawning to a part's function? In technical/coding terms, I mean, I may be able to figure out the rest from that.

It was never about the technical complexity. The point was: the design. The debug interface has a very clear "design": you use it when you're debugging (and so physical matters don't matter). What's the use-case of creating an arbitrary part in a KIS inventory for no cost? And if there is a cost, what would it be? And what will be the GUI to have the items spawned? When you answer all the questions, you get a design.

As of today any code can use KIS modules to spawn parts. There are no technical obstacles to it! However, if we offer a feature, then we have to explain why the functionality is needed, and what is the physical rationality behind it.

Hey IgorZ, just wanted to say how much I enjoyed the mod in the past and loved building my mun bases and fixing my little kerbal space ships when one of them (me) accidentally made a mistake. Now I have sense upgraded to 1.6 with the making history and have gotten used to the newer (other different) stuff they have put in the game. Im liking it but I miss your mod and the stuff that I can do with it. Is there a guessstament on when KIS might be ready for KSP 1.6? Dont mean to pry or push but I really do love this mod and am looking forward to its release!

@Neros just use the latest version until Igorz is ready. 1.6.+ didn't "break" KIS, it just made one minor feature obsolete.

15 hours ago, rfelipe200 said:

14 hours ago, Neros said:

Hey IgorZ, just wanted to say how much I enjoyed the mod in the past and loved building my mun bases and fixing my little kerbal space ships when one of them (me) accidentally made a mistake. Now I have sense upgraded to 1.6 with the making history and have gotten used to the newer (other different) stuff they have put in the game. Im liking it but I miss your mod and the stuff that I can do with it. Is there a guessstament on when KIS might be ready for KSP 1.6? Dont mean to pry or push but I really do love this mod and am looking forward to its release!

I am still trying to locate some good uTube on how to do things like mount solar panels without them floating away, Harpoon another ship and then pull it to the claw so it has a better COM for re-entry, Or get cables attached to a lander from the ship so it can be pulled up to space and then realigned for Kerbal re-entry on the nose (so it doesn't burn up)

Can anyone put a series describing what to do and what is not the things to do to get it to work?

IgorZ You are doing great work by the way !!!!

32 minutes ago, IanCanberra said:

I am still trying to locate some good uTube on how to do things like mount solar panels without them floating away, Harpoon another ship and then pull it to the claw so it has a better COM for re-entry, Or get cables attached to a lander from the ship so it can be pulled up to space and then realigned for Kerbal re-entry on the nose (so it doesn't burn up)

Can anyone put a series describing what to do and what is not the things to do to get it to work?

IgorZ You are doing great work by the way !!!!

One thing that may be tripping you up is that KAS has two eras of parts: the current 1.0+ series and the previous 0.6 LEGACY series. They are not compatible with each other, only legacy works with legacy and only new works with new. The harpoon is a legacy component.  I wish IgorZ had not included them in the KAS 1.0 release, I don't use them and have MM patch to hide them in my game since he warned they would go away at some point. The old parts all say LEGACY in their names in the VAB

Attaching things is trivial. Equip a tool, it will show up in the Kerbal's hand. Drag the part to the location you want. Hold down 'H', the part turns a turquoise color, it will be red if the location is invalid. Left click and you hear a whir-whir-whir sound as the part attaches.

22 hours ago, Neros said:

Dont mean to pry or push but I really do love this mod and am looking forward to its release!

Well, you've actually did "pry and push" (which violates couple of this forum's rules, but I won't tell anyone ;)) Check out this code change as an example. It's not the first, nor the last change I did to make KIS working nice with KSP 1.6.1 and all its features. Trust me, I'm doing my best! But "my best" is frequently interrupted by "kids, cats, and family". Guess what activity has a higher priority for me? :)  If I were paid for every "please give it faster" request, then I'd consider myself well employed on this forum. If you really mean to make your voice loud, consider posting it on Patreon.

After a week (a week!!!) of code changes, we finally have a correct handling of the new KSP feature (part variants) in the KIS containers! As a bonus, a full support of TweakScale is now implemented (who may have guessed it happens?).

Alas, this support is only implemented in the containers so far :( The other step is supporting it in the EVA mode. You may think there is no difference. And I wish you were right... Codewise, there is a big difference, so stay turned.

P.S. The upcoming version is going to be the largest change of KIS since 2017. I hate to think it may introduce instability... but it can.

38 minutes ago, jojo5144 said:

Hello . in order to avoid redundant question about it. would it be possible to write on the first page of KIS and KAS with which version of the game they are compatible?

friendly

a big fan.

The number in square brackets in the title of the thread tells you what version the mod is compatible with. For example, on the title of the thread it says ‘[1.5+]’ which means that the mod is compatible with KSP version 1.5 and above.

@jojo5144 If you follow the forum rules you wouldn't be asking the question in the first place. Your request is kind of pointless as most mods are not version locked and the author doesn't usually have time to test on every version. Most mods made for 1.4 or later run just fine on the latest 1.6 and vice versa. The changes IgorZ are working on are improvements to how KIS performs overall and removing the ability of KIS to take off helmets as that feature is now in the stock game. It's not to make KIS compatible with 1.6.1, as it already works.. Unless you find players complaining about a mod being broken its probably working just fine.  I know I have several mods that the "update" is just the mod maker changing the version file with no code changes so people will quit asking "Does this mod work in KSP version X.XX?".

2 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

The number in square brackets in the title of the thread tells you what version the mod is compatible with. For example, on the title of the thread it says ‘[1.5+]’ which means that the mod is compatible with KSP version 1.5 and above.

thank you very much for your answer. I thought The number in square brackets was the version of mod. a thousand excuses for the inconvenience. I know that everybody is bored with these questions ... you did a very good job. thank you for everything

2 hours ago, Tonka Crash said:

@jojo5144 If you follow the forum rules you wouldn't be asking the question in the first place. Your request is kind of pointless as most mods are not version locked and the author doesn't usually have time to test on every version. Most mods made for 1.4 or later run just fine on the latest 1.6 and vice versa. The changes IgorZ are working on are improvements to how KIS performs overall and removing the ability of KIS to take off helmets as that feature is now in the stock game. It's not to make KIS compatible with 1.6.1, as it already works.. Unless you find players complaining about a mod being broken its probably working just fine.  I know I have several mods that the "update" is just the mod maker changing the version file with no code changes so people will quit asking "Does this mod work in KSP version X.XX?".

ok thanks for your answer and sorry

On 1/20/2019 at 7:39 AM, IgorZ said:

I hate to think it may introduce instability... but it can.

Do you mean that saves which already have an existing version of the mod may become unstable upon updating it? Or is this the kind of instability which just happens sometimes when things get updated and tends to get patched after several bug reports? I only ask because I am deciding whether to install KIS and KAS now, or after the aforementioned impending update; I probably do not need them quite yet, but I like to be prepared.

In any case, I am looking forward to this update with its part variants and Tweakscale support.

Edited by septemberWaves

3 hours ago, septemberWaves said:

Or is this the kind of instability which just happens sometimes when things get updated and tends to get patched after several bug reports?

I meant this kind of instability. When the changes are small it's pretty easy to test and catch the problems before the release. With the large changes there is always a chance to miss something.

On 1/19/2019 at 5:36 AM, IgorZ said:

It was never about the technical complexity. The point was: the design. The debug interface has a very clear "design": you use it when you're debugging (and so physical matters don't matter). What's the use-case of creating an arbitrary part in a KIS inventory for no cost? And if there is a cost, what would it be? And what will be the GUI to have the items spawned? When you answer all the questions, you get a design.

As of today any code can use KIS modules to spawn parts. There are no technical obstacles to it! However, if we offer a feature, then we have to explain why the functionality is needed, and what is the physical rationality behind it.

Aaaah, right right. Good thing I'm a design student :v lol I'll come up with something, don't worry. Btw, if anyone here wants to help me/us with programming or whatever, I could use a hand or two.

The final preparations are in place. The 1.17 version will go live tomorrow. I chose to postpone it for one day to have animated containers included (for now there will be two).

Meanwhile, you may want checking the new debugging abilities in KIS. Without them I'd never have this release done. I've added some closed captions there to make the video more informative, don't forget to enable them.

3 hours ago, IgorZ said:

The final preparations are in place. The 1.17 version will go live tomorrow.

I'm so excited! :D

I hope this won't break stuff though - I have a space station in LKO with the large 2.5m container on it and I wouldn't want that to be deleted or anything :/

2 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I'm so excited! :D

I hope this won't break stuff though - I have a space station in LKO with the large 2.5m container on it and I wouldn't want that to be deleted or anything :/

So back up your save.  If it breaks anything, just roll back.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.