[Minimum KSP version - 1.12] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) v1.29

IgorZ

I am having a problem with KIS.  I can not put anything in a container.  Does any one have an idea as to why this is happening?  Conflict with another mod?  I am running the current version of KSP and added KIS through Ckan.  I don't know if it matters, but I just tried to manually install KAS.  When it asked to overwrite files in the CommunityCatigoryKit folder I told it not to. 

Welcome to the Forums.

Do you have the latest version of ModuleManager installed?  I don't think KIS comes with MM so if you manually installed you might not have it.  Which versions of KSP, KIS and KAS do you have installed?

Also, have a read of the thread below to help you provide the information most modders and wiser people than me might want to see when diagnosing problems.

Edited by Brigadier

2 hours ago, Revillag said:
I am having a problem with KIS.  I can not put anything in a container.  Does any one have an idea as to why this is happening?  Conflict with another mod?  I am running the current version of KSP and added KIS through Ckan.  I don't know if it matters, but I just tried to manually install KAS.  When it asked to overwrite files in the CommunityCatigoryKit folder I told it not to. 

For now it's too little information to work on. Try reading the troubleshooting guide. Using CKAN is usually reliable, but there were cases when the installation got broken. I had it myself at least twice.

1 minute ago, linuxgurugamer said:

@IgorZ

I'm getting the following message in the log file:

Not sure why, but figured you might have an idea

Do you have stable sequence of steps to have it reproduced? I never was able to achieve it, but added this check just in case.

I think I found where it's happening, KIS_Item.StackRemove(1)

The items were made by OSE, and put into an inventory, when they are being selected to be recycled, StackRemove(1) is called, and that is what's generating the error.  I commented it out, and no more errors, but, of course, the items weren't being deleted from inventory

I'm probably simply doing something (stupidly) wrong but I read the various wiki's, browsed the forums and haven't come across the answer I am looking for.

I am trying to attach a radial attachment point to a pressurized crew tube while in orbit. I get the Kerbal and part container withing the required distance. I have the  electric screwdriver equipped.  The crew tub turns green when I drag the part to it. The part turns green when I click and appears ready to attach. Pressing X or H doesn't appear to do anything so I simply click and the part appears to be properly attached. However, after a couple minutes, the part drifts off the tube and away. I tested the parts in the VAB and on the launch pad and they appear compatible with each other. I successfully attached a couple RCS thruster blocks in orbit previously so what is this noob (to your mod) doing wrong with these parts? Thanks

KSP 1.6.1

MM 4.02

Google Drive: KSP.log 

5 minutes ago, Rich T said:

I'm probably simply doing something (stupidly) wrong but I read the various wiki's, browsed the forums and haven't come across the answer I am looking for.

I am trying to attach a radial attachment point to a pressurized crew tube while in orbit. I get the Kerbal and part container withing the required distance. I have the  electric screwdriver equipped.  The crew tub turns green when I drag the part to it. The part turns green when I click and appears ready to attach. Pressing X or H doesn't appear to do anything so I simply click and the part appears to be properly attached. However, after a couple minutes, the part drifts off the tube and away. I tested the parts in the VAB and on the launch pad and they appear compatible with each other. I successfully attached a couple RCS thruster blocks in orbit previously so what is this noob (to your mod) doing wrong with these parts? Thanks

KSP 1.6.1

MM 4.02

Google Drive: KSP.log 

In the log I don't see any traces of using KIS. Have you attached log from the right session? As for the X & H keys, if you don't hold one of them when releasing mouse button, then you're not attaching the part - you're simply dropping it. Not a surprise it drifts away when the vessel gets momentum.

3 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

In the log I don't see any traces of using KIS. Have you attached log from the right session? As for the X & H keys, if you don't hold one of them when releasing mouse button, then you're not attaching the part - you're simply dropping it. Not a surprise it drifts away when the vessel gets momentum.

Well there it is, probably not holding the key down. I'll give that a try. Probably got the RCS blocks attached by dumb luck. Thanks for the quick response.

I wasn't sure how the log worked but I just started KSP and linked the only KSP log in the directory. So no wonder no trace of using KIS as I hadn't used it in this session. Thanks for your patience. 

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I think I found where it's happening, KIS_Item.StackRemove(1)

The items were made by OSE, and put into an inventory, when they are being selected to be recycled, StackRemove(1) is called, and that is what's generating the error.  I commented it out, and no more errors, but, of course, the items weren't being deleted from inventory

Reproduced! Thanks a lot! I've created a bug.

FYI, this leak was with us since the beginning :)  I've added logging for this case only in the latest version.

1 minute ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Cool, glad to help.  So I gather it is nothing I have to do anything about?

Nope. It's my responsibility now. The fix is simple, actually. Will be implemented in the next version.

Is it at all possible to attach a part to very nearby, but not quite ontop of, a node?

I'm trying to replace the HW-80 winch on a skycrane, but for the cable itself to be centered on the vehicles CoM, the winch needs to be offset slightly from the node on the grandparent part - if I use a wrench it refuses to attach anywhere, but if I use the electric screwdriver it will snap to the node and doesn't seem to allow offset. Is this just a limitation or am I missing something?

I did attempt to search this thread and the forums for this but couldn't find anything, apologies if it's a super simple solution.

1 minute ago, TheBok said:

Is it at all possible to attach a part to very nearby, but not quite ontop of, a node?

Grab the part, then click "R" until you get "surface node". This type of the nodes is not aligned to the target. Then use A/S/D/F to adjust the part rotation. All this stuff is mentioned in the hover menu when you're carrying a part (which some people trying to convince me to deprecate).

If the part doesn't have a surface node (there are some), then you simply cannot do anything. That's a limitation of KIS.

1 minute ago, IgorZ said:

Grab the part, then click "R" until you get "surface node". This type of the nodes is not aligned to the target. Then use A/S/D/F to adjust the part rotation. All this stuff is mentioned in the hover menu when you're carrying a part (which some people trying to convince me to deprecate).

If the part doesn't have a surface node (there are some), then you simply cannot do anything. That's a limitation of KIS.

Thanks for yer prompt response - yar I've been using this mod for ages so was a bit stumped. I can of course see the popup window with all available commands, and went through all of them with both wrench and screw equipped - there is no "surface" option when cycling R that I can see. Am attaching to an octo-girder modular truss I guess it has no surface option?

But that's no probs I can easily send up a new skycrane, thanks again for answering good sir! Excellent mod o7

16 minutes ago, TheBok said:

Oh my bad. It's the HW-80 winch itself that doesn't have surface mode attachment, not the octo-girder truss section. I can attach other parts there just not this winch XD

Yeah. This one does not have a surface attach node.

Thanks a million (again) for the great mod! I just updated everything to 1.6 (clean install, newbie player) and I can confirm what some people are saying that the KIS surface attached stuff (like the ground base starter nodes) explode when you move out of physics range. :D I noticed it since I usually attach stuff via one of these pylons, I plop it in my base and attach my different modules to each other via this.

But what I can say is a great improvement is that my bases don't explode on load anymore since we can connect stuff together and have it NOT docked! Excellent change! :) 

4 hours ago, IgorZ said:

(which some people trying to convince me to deprecate).

For those people who don't want it (why, I have no idea), why not just put in an option to disable it?  Stock settings page would be simple, and then all you need to do is check to see if it should be shown or not

My inventory looks like this:

XUR7mWu.png

Only the lower right quarter of the icons is shown.

I'm pretty sure this is a bug in KSP or a problem with another mod, since I have the same problem with parts that are researched, but I didn't buy yet. Maybe someone can confirm the issue or has a solution?

Playing on Linux, where there exists a similar issue with the first row of parts in the VAB.

47 minutes ago, Actually_New_KSP_Player said:

How do I attach struts in EVA? I only have KIS and the struts just clipping through the textures of another ship and don't attach If I try to.

The stock struts cannot be attached via KIS. At some extent PCB/CH parts from KAS can help. But if you need exactly the same functionality, then you need another mod. I cannot suggest anything since I don't use any.

On 2/27/2019 at 12:58 PM, infinite_monkey said:

Playing on Linux, where there exists a similar issue with the first row of parts in the VAB.

Are you using any of the image quality enhancing techniques at GPU? Like downscaling. Looking at the screenshot I'd suggest the camera port (that is used to make the icons) is set the constant size while the parts or screen is upscaled.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.