[Minimum KSP version - 1.12] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) v1.29

IgorZ

29 minutes ago, Targus said:

Hi sir, I can't put something to the kis container, this is what the console  wrote... Is it a bug or I did something wrong? KSP version is 1.7 and KIS version 1.22

Your answer was in the post before yours. 

You need 1.21 for 1.7, 1.22 for 1.7.1. 1.22 will not run on 1.7. In CKAN down in the lower right switch to the Versions tab and manually pick 1.21 if you are using 1.7

Edited by Tonka Crash

8 hours ago, Tonka Crash said:

Your answer was in the post before yours.

I just ran into this issue as well. I suspect the reason for the repeated confusion is the CKAN versioning:

sggUFvu.png?1

Edited by seevee

On 5/31/2019 at 9:13 AM, Tonka Crash said:

I wouldn't change anything. KIS and the new system are going to exist side-by-side for a while with no interaction between the two. Nothing that uses the new stock cargo system can be put in KIS inventories or manipulated with KIS. Also, KIS is not going to add the ability to put parts in the new cargo containers. To use the new science parts you have to use the stock cargo system.

But it is pretty easy to add cargo slots for the new system to a part so you aren't limited to the stock cargo containers, you just need to add the following module to a part.

MODULE // add 3 cargo slots
{
	name = ModuleInventoryPart
	InventorySlots = 3
}

So... what would happen if attempting to MM patch stock inventory slots onto KIS container parts? Would you end up with, effectively, two separately-functioning inventories on the same part, or would that be likely to break something?

@Jarin It will give you both inventory systems side-by-side. The Kerbals themselves already function this way with both inventory systems.  The container is not aware of the contents in the other system. If you fill both the KIS inventory and the stock cargo inventory you are technically violating the laws of physics like the Tardis by putting more in a container than it should realistically hold.

That works for me. I have no problem with a bit of spatial distortion to keep KIS easily working alongside stock.

Seriously, I cannot operate without KIS. I kerbal everything together with little testing, and constantly rely on the ability to launch forgotten parts/antennas/etc up on supply runs and have my engineers staple them onto outposts and stations.

8 minutes ago, Jarin said:

Seriously, I cannot operate without KIS. I kerbal everything together with little testing, and constantly rely on the ability to launch forgotten parts/antennas/etc up on supply runs and have my engineers staple them onto outposts and stations.

I'm in the same boat, once I found KIS EVA construction became the biggest reason for crewed missions. For me it's not even adding forgotten parts. I like building bases and stations and once sections are joined up I always send out an engineer to strip everything that was needed to get a new section on site and in position to cut down on my part count. 

Alright, so I'm a bit lost here.  The manual says Kerbals can carry quite a bit of weight.  The smallest reaction wheel is quite clearly much, much smaller than a Kerbal.  So why can't a Kerbal grab a small reaction wheel?  Or a small radiator panel, for that matter?  They're both lighter than some of the items they can pick up (in particular most KAS parts), yet they're listed as having volumes 2 to 8 times the Kerbal's volumetric carrying capacity.

7 minutes ago, SkyRender said:

Alright, so I'm a bit lost here.  The manual says Kerbals can carry quite a bit of weight.  The smallest reaction wheel is quite clearly much, much smaller than a Kerbal.  So why can't a Kerbal grab a small reaction wheel?  Or a small radiator panel, for that matter?  They're both lighter than some of the items they can pick up (in particular most KAS parts), yet they're listed as having volumes 2 to 8 times the Kerbal's volumetric carrying capacity.

The amount they can put in their pockets (inventory) is different than the amount of weight that they can carry.  If it's within the amount of weight, they'll still be able to pick it up, move it around, put it in containers that are large enough, attach/detach it from ships, etc.  But if it's to big for their pockets it's not going in their inventory.

They should be able to *grab* those parts, and place them anywhere within reach.  (Or within reach of a Kerbal standing nearby...)  They just can't place it in their inventory.

15 minutes ago, SkyRender said:

By default a Kerbal can lift and move 1 ton. But they can only stick 110L in their "pockets". 110L is about the volume of a large backpack. 

You aren't very clear in your post. Are you having problems moving items that fall within the mass limit? Or are you having problems putting items into your inventory that are clearly too large?

Some items are designed to be carried on the Kerbal's back to get around the internal volume limit, but there aren't many of these. One is the KIS SC-62 Container that allows 290L to be carried as a backpack.

There are problems with some parts (mainly from mods) that report an incorrect volume. I know some of the Near Future Solar panels are seen by KIS with a volume that represents their deployed state. In these cases a patch needs to be written to force a volume overrride to give them a realistic folded volume.

@SkyRender I just checked to make sure something wasn't broke in KIS.  

0.625M Reaction Wheel = 72.5L

3x2 or 1x6 solar panels = 35L

shielded versions = 75L

small solar panel is 11L

Any combination of these fit in my Kerbal's inventory up to 110L

Do you have KIS installed correctly?  https://github.com/ihsoft/KIS/wiki/Troubleshooting

Edited by Tonka Crash

I am starting to wonder.  It's not letting me interact at all with winches of any type when I attach them manually; it just makes an error beep when I try and shows the "not available for a link" message.  Trying to do it manually from the craft says the winch is locked.

On 5/30/2019 at 4:54 PM, zer0Kerbal said:
  Reveal hidden contents

@KISConfig:FINAL {
  @EvaInventory   {
     @helmetKey = \
  }
}

what would be a good key to assign to helmet then?

I discovered this morning that the game has a  default key assignment of 'o' which has been there since at least 1.6.1 The KIS key for it was redundant. You can reassign it in the KSP/settings.cfg

2 hours ago, Tonka Crash said:

I discovered this morning that the game has a  default key assignment of 'o' which has been there since at least 1.6.1 The KIS key for it was redundant. You can reassign it in the KSP/settings.cfg

that is so kerbal. hidden, unknown redundancies.

Hi guys. I am kind of considering jumping back into KSP to add to my 1400 hours played, but could someone help me get up to date with how mods and Breaking Ground are coexisting? I see a bunch of things in Breaking Ground which I am used to see mods handle. I am thinking primarily of ground placement of bases, power and inventory. Will KIS work with Breaking Ground? Will the inventories be merged, or two seperate things? Will KIS work with or without Breaking Ground, or doesn't it really care?

@niceundtidy IgorZ posted this about KIS and BG a couple weeks ago. Nothing's changed since then with KIS.

On 5/31/2019 at 3:34 AM, IgorZ said:

1.22 (May 30th, 2019):

• [Change] "Breaking ground" DLC support.
  • [Change] Don't allow KIS to deploy or move the ground experiments.
  • [Change] Allow the small cargo to be carried by kerbal.
  • [Change] Disable the default remove helmet hotkey J as it conflicts with "Breaking ground" DLC.
  • [Enhancement] Add medium portable cargo to carry 6 experiments.
  • [Fix #333] Robotics part trigger physics when making a hover model.
  • [Fix #334] Action icons are blurred.

PLEASE READ THE TEXT BELOW!

I bet many of you, my fellow fans of KIS, will get disappointed on how KIS has adopted to the new DLC feature. And I'd like to explain why the decision was made like this. The stock inventory feature is not even close to what KIS was offering for years. There is no way how KIS can merge with the stock feature. The only feasible option is the other way around: merging the stock inventory into KIS inventory. Trust me, I've spend enough time to figure out it's cannot be done "quick and easy". In general, my idea is to have it done eventually. But not in the scope of current KIS (the technical debt is too high there). I was mentioning it several times in the last couple of years, and now I announce it outloud: a new KIS has to be made to address all the issues, accumulated during the last 2.5 years! The new DLC additions are just a part of it, not even a major part. That being said, KIS v2.0 is to be started. In difference to the KAS v2 Beta, this effort cannot be an iterative process, so I'll need some time to make enough code to start a beta testing. As a side effect of this intention, no major changes are to be made to the "old KIS" (yeah, now it's a term). Including, any improvements in handling of the robotics parts or the stock inventories. Stability bugs will still be priority, but that's it.

Stay turned. When the beta starts, I'll post a note here.

Okay, I've read back a little bit, and i'm not seeing anyone reporting this issue, but it's also possible i missed a post. It seems to be minor and not really game breaking in anyway, but I'm getting duplicate inventory buttons and two slightly different inventory screens on my kerbals:

dese0pt.jpg

I'm also seeing 2 different perform all science buttons, which i "think?" comes from the allyall mod, so it's wholly possible this isn't a KIS/KAS issue at all. I'm still trying to run down my install and find everything that's broken from the .2 patch and the Breaking ground DLC, but I thought I'd throw it out here and see if anyone else had run into this and could point me somewhere helpful. And for all I know the 2 inventory buttons could just be KIS and the breaking ground DLC's inventory working side by side? 

Edited by vardicd

@vardicd One of those inventories is the 1L problem that points to a bad install. I'd guess you are installing things manually and have two installs of KIS, one in the right spot and one in the wrong spot. It may be happening with your other mods. If there isn't anything you need in this install I'd delete it completely, do a clean install and use CKAN to install your mods. If you need to keep it for some reason, rename the install directory to: Kerbal Space Program, bugged  and then reinstall in the the normal path. I use CKAN for 99% of my mods and don't have problems.

5 minutes ago, Tonka Crash said:

@vardicd One of those inventories is the 1L problem that points to a bad install. I'd guess you are installing things manually and have two installs of KIS, one in the right spot and one in the wrong spot. It may be happening with your other mods. If there isn't anything you need in this install I'd delete it completely, do a clean install and use CKAN to install your mods. If you need to keep it for some reason, rename the install directory to: Kerbal Space Program, bugged  and then reinstall in the the normal path. I use CKAN for 99% of my mods and don't have problems.

yeah I do my own manual installs because me and CKAN have serious issues with each other. I do a lot of custom editing to the configs of many mod parts changing their locations in the tech tree or how they work slightly for my personal taste. I manually install so, i can re-edit the new files in mod updates instead of CKAN doing it for me and breaking my game if I don't notice a particular mod updates. 

As far as me having 2 installs of KIS, I'll double check my install, but I'm fairly careful to prevent double installs, but I'm human and make mistakes. I'll double check for that. thanks.

1 minute ago, vardicd said:

yeah I do my own manual installs because me and CKAN have serious issues with each other. I do a lot of custom editing to the configs of many mod parts changing their locations in the tech tree or how they work slightly for my personal taste. I manually install so, i can re-edit the new files in mod updates instead of CKAN doing it for me and breaking my game if I don't notice a particular mod updates. 

As far as me having 2 installs of KIS, I'll double check my install, but I'm fairly careful to prevent double installs, but I'm human and make mistakes. I'll double check for that. thanks.

I customize the crap out of my install too (last time I counted it was around 10,000 lines of my own patches). I just keep most of my customization in my own patch tree GameData\ZZZ_Personal_Patches instead of editing mods directly. I got tired of merging updates with customizations. I also backup my entire game tree before running CKAN installs and use Beyond Compare to look for differences between the old install and newly updated one.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.