IgorZ

[1.7.3] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) v1.22

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Grem said:

Hi guys, tell me why some of the details of KIS are duplicated in several categories?

  Hide contents

479576cdf9284e559fa5a7faff70ab0e.png  223ecce90dec49ed876d90d244939c7e.png 

How can I fix this?

On the left you see a part's category "Utility". On the right, it's a CCK filter "EVA Items". If you wnat to "fix it" you may do one of the following (but not the both!):

  1. Go thru the KIS parts and remove the part's category. This will make the parts invisible for the stock game, i.e. they will stop showing in the part's category menus.
  2. Drop KIS patch "MM-CommunityCategoryKit.cfg". This will drop the CCK filter.
1 hour ago, taniwha said:

@IgorZ: Would you consider an option (in the ModuleKISItem node) to not rename single-part vessels? It was, actually, a very useful "feature" that EL made use of (survey stakes getting named to (eg) "Jebedia Kerman Base" was very convenient). I only just found out that KIS now renames the vessel to the part's name.

Of course, I could do a PR. If I do so, would you accept it?

In fact, KIS does rename any vessel that is created as a result of its actions. The only thing that varies is the template for the "one part" vs "multiple parts" vessel. Was your idea to make a "all or none" switch, or it's only about the single part vessels?

PR is welcome, of course! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

In fact, KIS does rename any vessel that is created as a result of its actions. The only thing that varies is the template for the "one part" vs "multiple parts" vessel. Was your idea to make a "all or none" switch, or it's only about the single part vessels?

It is particularly about "one part" vessels as it would be the part saying "hey, don't rename me!", which would likely be awkward to handle for "multiple parts" vessels.

42 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

PR is welcome, of course! :)

Cool. It's easy enough to do and easier for me to test the change if I do it myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, taniwha said:

It is particularly about "one part" vessels as it would be the part saying "hey, don't rename me!", which would likely be awkward to handle for "multiple parts" vessels.

Why? I mean, why renaming a multiple parts vessel is OK, and renaming a single part vessel is not? Let's say, I detach a fuel tank from a vessel, why does this lone part not need renaming? And if I detach a tank with a solar panel on top of it, then it will be renamed - why? Before you've started working on a PR let's figure out what is the task and how we want to solve it (we may do it thru the messaging to not spam the others).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is why I want to add an option to ModuleKISItem: normally it does make sense to rename the vessel for a single part. However, EL's survey stakes can never be anything but a single part (they can be attached to only the ground).

However, I just had what may be a better idea: I can add a field to ModuleKISItem that specifies a method (eg, vesselSpawnedCallback = ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads.ExSurveyStake.KISVesselSpawned) giving the method the opportunity to name the vessel something more appropriate.

Edited by taniwha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, taniwha said:

However, I just had what may be a better idea: I can add a field to ModuleKISItem that specifies a method (eg, vesselSpawnedCallback = ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads.ExSurveyStake.KISVesselSpawned) giving the method the opportunity to name the vessel something more appropriate.

This looks good to me. However, making it in the code will be a challenging task (I've gave it a brief look).

As a workaround you may listen for "GameEvents.onNewVesselCreated", and do the renaming there. One important thing to know is that KIS waits for one fixed update before renaming with the vessel. I.e. the listener should wait at least this long (or better +1 longer). It can be easily fixed in KIS, though. There is no need to wait for the physics to rename the vessel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

This looks good to me. However, making it in the code will be a challenging task (I've gave it a brief look).

Actually, it's pretty easy: I've already done this sort of thing elsewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Grem said:

How can I fix this?

Use this MM patch:

@PART[*]:HAS[~category[none],#tags[*cck*]]:FINAL
{
  @category = none
}

This will take any part that has a Community Category Kit tag and remove it from its original stock category and the second so you won't have dupes for KIS or any other mod that uses their own CCK tabs

Edited by Drew Kerman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Drew Kerman said:

Use this MM patch:


@PART[*]:HAS[~category[none],#tags[*cck*]]:FINAL
{
  @category = none
}

 

Do I need to create a new .cfg with this content?Pardon me!I do not quite understand.At the moment, I just deleted the "MM-CommunityCategoryKit.cfg" from: ...\KIS\Patches - as a result, the category "Eva Items" disappeared.

Edited by Grem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Grem said:

Do I need to create a new .cfg with this content?

Yes stick it in a .cfg file of your choosing - I have my own MM.cfg file I stick all my personal patches into. You can restore that file you deleted now if you want these items in the EVA Items tab. Otherwise you've done enough already to keep things all in one place - but you'll have to keep deleting the KIS file every time you install a new version then

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, is there any progress made on attaching Real Chute parachutes using KIS? They disappear from the game when attaching to a new craft and reappear as an invisible model somewhere else in space. If you attempt to arm the chutes via staging the game gets VERY mad and teleports you to wherever the fake chutes were floating off to (in my case, they'd managed to escape Kerbin SOI).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MagicCuboid said:

Hey, is there any progress made on attaching Real Chute parachutes using KIS? They disappear from the game when attaching to a new craft and reappear as an invisible model somewhere else in space. If you attempt to arm the chutes via staging the game gets VERY mad and teleports you to wherever the fake chutes were floating off to (in my case, they'd managed to escape Kerbin SOI).

I never used the chutes this way but people were reporting it as working. If you can give the clear reproduction steps (screenshots are highly appreciated), then I will file a bug which one day will be fixed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok. So I started carrier and go to the Mun Apollo style. Landed well  on the surface and started to do some science experiments and started deploying them using KIS... Guess what... since I'm doing Apollo style mission I only have two kerbals on the mun Jeb and Bob (pilot and scientist) like real life Bill is left in orbit so I just found that I can't use the tools without engineer... which I think it is very absurd! common it is only a electric screwdriver which a 10 year old boy can and know how to use... I know it is my bad that i didn't knew about this before doing the mission but is there something I can do? like edit the files or something cause i want to do all the science on the mun but don't have the engineer and can't revert back the mission.

Never mind... Problem solved.

Edited by raptor30

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, raptor30 said:

which I think it is very absurd! common it is only a electric screwdriver which a 10 year old boy can and know how to use...

Can you fix an engine in your car using just a wrench? Guess what, the mechanics can. The same cannot be said about a "10 year old boy". The tool is an important part of the solution but not the only part, one also needs to have the skills to deal with the specific type of machinery. In the game it's not feasible to distinguish the complexity of different types of the operations, so all of them are assumed to be "complex" and requiring an engineering skill.

3 hours ago, raptor30 said:

is there something I

Go into "KIS/Parts/electricScrewdriver" folder and remove the skill requirement from the part's configuration:

	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleKISItemAttachTool
		shortcutKeyAction = equip
		equipable = true
		stackable = true
		//equipSkill = RepairSkill
		equipSlot = rightHand
		equipMeshName = body01
		equipBoneName = bn_r_mid_a01
		equipPos = (0,0.05,0)
		equipDir = (270,0,0)
		toolPartAttach = true
		toolStaticAttach = false
		toolPartStack = true
		attachPartSndPath = KIS/Sounds/attachScrewdriver
		detachPartSndPath = KIS/Sounds/detachScrewdriver
	}

 

1 hour ago, maculator said:

Hi anybody knows what "KSPDev_Utils.0.22.1.dll" is and what it does?

It's a library needed for KIS. Why are you asking?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No particular reason. I checked the folders before installing like I always do and noticed that KIS has such a dll and KAS doesn't. Just me beeing curious althou I have no idea what that stuff does^^

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@IgorZ Hey, I'm planning an interstellar mission, I need some cargo pods, I intended on using the cargo containers in this mod, yet I am unable to access the parts without using tools, the parts are huge. I used tweakscale to increase the size of the cargo container so it can hold massive cargo, but yet, because of how KIS/KAS works, I would need hundreds of kerbals to can remove the cargo. Pics below. So I am asking you if you would like to be a sponsor for the Icarus Initiative (mod maker) and could you make a few tweaks to enable me to easily remove heavy cargo from the gigantic KIS containers without needing hundreds of kerbals? 

FBRkmDr.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

@IgorZ Hey, I'm planning an interstellar mission, I need some cargo pods, I intended on using the cargo containers in this mod, yet I am unable to access the parts without using tools, the parts are huge. I used tweakscale to increase the size of the cargo container so it can hold massive cargo, but yet, because of how KIS/KAS works, I would need hundreds of kerbals to can remove the cargo. Pics below. So I am asking you if you would like to be a sponsor for the Icarus Initiative (mod maker) and could you make a few tweaks to enable me to easily remove heavy cargo from the gigantic KIS containers without needing hundreds of kerbals? 

If you care about physics and realistics then removing a heavy cargo would indeed require many kerbals or a crane. If you don't care about this stuff, then just increase the mass and distance limits in the KIS config :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

If you care about physics and realistics then removing a heavy cargo would indeed require many kerbals or a crane. If you don't care about this stuff, then just increase the mass and distance limits in the KIS config :)

I've looked but can't seem to find it, can you post a config version of it with the unrealistic version as you said, can you post it on the NCA page, link beneath my comment, I'd like you to be a part of it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, IgorZ said:

Can you fix an engine in your car using just a wrench? Guess what, the mechanics can. The same cannot be said about a "10 year old boy". The tool is an important part of the solution but not the only part, one also needs to have the skills to deal with the specific type of machinery. In the game it's not feasible to distinguish the complexity of different types of the operations, so all of them are assumed to be "complex" and requiring an engineering skill.

No I can't fix an engine that is a mechanic job but I sure can screw something on the wall or in some other parts... that is exactly what i need it to do in my mission with Bob... he is a scientist he can operate all that science stuff but he can't use a electric screw driver to attach a science part on the ship... that what I was calling absurd. Just look at the movie martian for example... that guy was a botanist and he manage to do a lot of stuff there. Of course you need a engineer to fix a wheel, solar panel or replace a parachute but common just attach a part on the side of the ship with screws using a electric screwdriver that I guess everyone can do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, raptor30 said:

No I can't fix an engine that is a mechanic job but I sure can screw something on the wall or in some other parts... that is exactly what i need it to do in my mission with Bob... he is a scientist he can operate all that science stuff but he can't use a electric screw driver to attach a science part on the ship... that what I was calling absurd. Just look at the movie martian for example... that guy was a botanist and he manage to do a lot of stuff there. Of course you need a engineer to fix a wheel, solar panel or replace a parachute but common just attach a part on the side of the ship with screws using a electric screwdriver that I guess everyone can do it.

Why your engineer did not do it on orbit?

Do you think scientist would provide proper power, control and integrity for attachment?

Do you understand how much fiction that movie is?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sebra said:

Why your engineer did not do it on orbit?

Do you think scientist would provide proper power, control and integrity for attachment?

Do you understand how much fiction that movie is?

Yeah and KSP is real...

Look at the REAL Apollo mission! Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin they ware both pilots and manage to do science and engineering stuff.

Edited by raptor30

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, raptor30 said:

Yeah and KSP is real...

So you just ignore not pleasant for you questions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, raptor30 said:

Of course you need a engineer to fix a wheel, solar panel or replace a parachute but common just attach a part on the side of the ship with screws using a electric screwdriver that I guess everyone can do it.

See section "Not feasible in the game".

11 minutes ago, raptor30 said:

Just look at the movie martian for example...

This documentary movie is, of course, a good reference, but Matt Damon is a well trained NASA professional. He spent months in the Astronaut training facility (Houston, TX). And we're just PC gamers. Don't compare.

Edited by IgorZ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.