[Minimum KSP version - 1.12] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) v1.29

IgorZ

42 minutes ago, SuperXico said:

Ok sorry ive been Chasing you...

That's OK: I support the both mods :) 

2 minutes ago, SuperXico said:

YOu are absolutelly correct. im so sorry about all the fuss :( @ExplorerKlatt

No worries. It's exactly the reason why using the right forum thread is always a good idea: much more people can help.

What are the weight limits for the winches?

Can you use multiple winches to increase the limit?

Do grappling hooks (and harpoons) connect to ships or just the ground? I tried to have them connect to a ship, but if it's allowed, I must have done something wrong.

I made a crane with 2 winches, and attached them to a heavy ship, when lifting one of the winches disconnected from my crane.

I'm trying to move around base parts.

2 hours ago, IT Luddite said:

What are the weight limits for the winches?

Weight depends on the Gee force. The winch cable strength is 1000kN. However, it's not the only variable in the equation. The strength of the joints between the vessel and the winch itself is also in the game. Plus, there is inertia of the target object which results in a momentum when the cable stretches. Not to mention, the game's physics is discreet, and the instant force value depends on the fixed update interval (simply put: the slower your PC is, the greater values you get). That said, nobody can predict what mass under what circumstances you can lift up. If your winch joint breaks, the very first recommendation is to reduce the motor speed to the minimum - it helps reducing the inertia momentum effect.

Can you use multiple winches to increase the limit?

You can, but don't expect to see the same effect as you would see in the real world. Adding extra winches increases the limit, but not in a linear manner.

Do grappling hooks (and harpoons) connect to ships or just the ground

In the current implementation anything can attach to anything. If you say it's unrealistic, I won't be arguing.

I made a crane with 2 winches, and attached them to a heavy ship, when lifting one of the winches disconnected from my crane.

Classical. If you want it to work, you need to deal with the joints between the winch and the vessel. KAS doesn't deal with it. Imagine you've attached a hook to a drywall panel, and then tried to hang a 1t weight on it. What will happen? The hook will get ripped off the panel, simply because drywall cannot withstand such forces. The same is here: if the winch-to-vessel joint is weak, then it doesn't matter how strong the winch is.

Thanks that's helpful.

8 hours ago, IgorZ said:

Weight depends on the Gee force. The winch cable strength is 1000kN.

So does that mean on Kerbin the maximum is 10 tons (9.8m/ss not 10m/ss so actually a bit more)?

8 hours ago, IgorZ said:

In the current implementation anything can attach to anything. If you say it's unrealistic, I won't be arguing.

Sorry, I'm still trying to figure out the forum editor.

My prior post was supposed to ask about grappling hooks.

I made my crane, attached a big tank with a decoupler, decoupled it, and tried to use a grappling hook to pick it up. I couldn't get it to connect with either eject or extend. I must be doing something wrong, but I don't know what.

Could I get an explanation on how it's supposed to be done?

Thank you.

15 hours ago, IT Luddite said:

So does that mean on Kerbin the maximum is 10 tons (9.8m/ss not 10m/ss so actually a bit more)?

Technically, it's 100t. However, due to the inertia and physics approximation things, it's not even close to this value.

14 hours ago, IT Luddite said:

I couldn't get it to connect with either eject or extend. I must be doing something wrong, but I don't know what.

The KAS grapple attaches on impact. The impact force should be strong enough to trigger the attachment event, but not too strong to not trigger the bounce effect. The angle at which the grapple hits the surface also matters.

On 5/4/2017 at 3:26 PM, taniwha said:
On 5/4/2017 at 2:40 PM, IgorZ said:

In fact, KIS does rename any vessel that is created as a result of its actions. The only thing that varies is the template for the "one part" vs "multiple parts" vessel. Was your idea to make a "all or none" switch, or it's only about the single part vessels?

It is particularly about "one part" vessels as it would be the part saying "hey, don't rename me!", which would likely be awkward to handle for "multiple parts" vessels.

On 5/4/2017 at 2:40 PM, IgorZ said:

PR is welcome, of course! :)

Cool. It's easy enough to do and easier for me to test the change if I do it myself.

@IgorZ I'm sorry it took so long, but I have finally created the PR I talked about above.

Now to figure out allowing kerbals to carry stacked items.

On 2/26/2018 at 11:06 PM, taniwha said:

@IgorZ: just a ping to ensure you know I've fixed up the PR: split it into three independent PRs.

Thanks a lot for the PRs! I've merged one and commented on the other two.

Something I keep meaning to ask.

Occasionally, it makes sense to fill a large KIS container with resource tanks or smaller containers. It certainly is more convenient in some cases than rebuilding a vessel to contain tanks of multiple resources, and there are mods with large KIS storage volumes in convenient vehicles to suit this particular purpose.

However, the problem turns up when I need to make use of these resources: To do so, I have to EVA, take the container out, attach it to the station -- whether using a container socket or surface attach -- and pump the resources out. This is only practical in some cases, since the kerbals can't really manipulate resources heavier than one ton, and using multiple kerbals to work with heavier resources in orbit is a dangerous exercise.

So, is there a way to get at part resources while they are still inside the KIS container? If there isn't, is there a hope one could be arranged?

6 hours ago, Mihara said:

Something I keep meaning to ask.

Occasionally, it makes sense to fill a large KIS container with resource tanks or smaller containers. It certainly is more convenient in some cases than rebuilding a vessel to contain tanks of multiple resources, and there are mods with large KIS storage volumes in convenient vehicles to suit this particular purpose.

However, the problem turns up when I need to make use of these resources: To do so, I have to EVA, take the container out, attach it to the station -- whether using a container socket or surface attach -- and pump the resources out. This is only practical in some cases, since the kerbals can't really manipulate resources heavier than one ton, and using multiple kerbals to work with heavier resources in orbit is a dangerous exercise.

So, is there a way to get at part resources while they are still inside the KIS container? If there isn't, is there a hope one could be arranged?

In KIS the parts, stored in the inventory, are not real parts from the game's perspective. They don't exist in the world until pulled out of container. It's technically possible to deal with the saved container state and simulate the resources flow, but this is far beyond the KIS concept. That said, no - there is no such a way, and there are no plans to implement it.

Edited by IgorZ

2 hours ago, IgorZ said:

That said, no - there is no such a way, and there are no plans to implement it.

Well, I know they're not actually parts, but something simple like an "fill/empty resources" button which would try to pump pumpable resources in/out of the item into any available containers on the ship shouldn't be too hard... If that didn't involve making UI, (I have an allergy to programming UI) I would just write that myself and send a pull request

Oh well.

P.S. There's probably also an option of creating an extra tank in the container part the moment a resource-containing part enters its inventory, and destroying it when it's taken out, but that feels like a potential nightmare of bugs, since there would be no reliable way to tell which ones got created by which contained item.

22 hours ago, taniwha said:

I have acted on your comments or provided information as appropriate. And thank you.

Thanks for the changes. All are merged. Good to see the contributors :)

8 hours ago, Mihara said:

Well, I know they're not actually parts, but something simple like an "fill/empty resources" button which would try to pump pumpable resources in/out of the item into any available containers on the ship shouldn't be too hard...

And that's what I call "simulate". It's not as easy as you may think. The very first question would be: where to pump the resources into? The game is good in requesting resources (there is a method which gives what you need), but it's not as good in making resources. I'm not saying it's not possible, my point is that this is a huge piece of complexity in the mod which was not designed for it. If you want a multiple resources tank, you may use a specialized mod which handles all the edge ceases. Or simply put all the tanks into a cargo bay, which would be a real life experience :)

3 hours ago, IgorZ said:

And that's what I call "simulate". It's not as easy as you may think. The very first question would be: where to pump the resources into? The game is good in requesting resources (there is a method which gives what you need), but it's not as good in making resources. I'm not saying it's not possible, my point is that this is a huge piece of complexity in the mod which was not designed for it.

Not that huge, as long as you don't concern yourself with simulating flow over time or even distribution. Take a look at this method for example. Things do get a lot more complicated if you do, but still manageable. I fully understand why you wouldn't want to do it, it does go out of the original scope. But well, it would make sense. Far too few things in Kerbal universe make sense. :) 

As it is, even when OSE Workshop recycles an item which contains resources, resources do not get reclaimed, so the only way to get them out is to go out and bolt the item to the outside of the vessel, which does not make sense at all.

3 hours ago, IgorZ said:

Or simply put all the tanks into a cargo bay, which would be a real life experience :)

Part count and physics, and the fact that I can't use the nice premade replicas set up for KIS like, say, Phoenix Industries kit, is what's stopping me. Going the other way -- i.e. sending resources down from space -- is even worse than sending them up.

NEVERMIND. DONT READ THIS, THE ANSWER IS IN THE FAQ. SRY.

Hi, i'm not sure if it's because of the update yesterday, but i noticed that the kerbals only have a allowed volume of 1. and the electric screw driver has 3. so this means a kerbal cant even hold the screw driver. i'm honestly guessing that this is cause of the update.

Edited by justicarab

I just realized I have one docking port on my space station backwards. Jeez. I tried sending out a Kerbie to check it out and it took me a half an hour just to get the little sucker back in the station (I felt like I was trying to catch a little dog who didn't want to cooperate, I could swear I heard him say, hey I can see my house from up here). I'm such an amateur. Can I use this mod to fix it (using version 1.3.1)? I figure I'm probably not the first to do this (doesn't make me feel any better though). If it can be done, can I get some details for a dummy on how to do it?

Edited by MikeO89

@MikeO89 yes you can use this mod to fix. 

From the OP:

>>> PLEASE, READ THE MANUAL BEFORE USING THE MOD!!!

The manual can be found here. If you want to download a PDF, use this link. You can also bring this manual to the flight by adding the "KIS for Dummies" item into the inventory. This way you'll be able to read it without leaving the game.

Edited by ExplorerKlatt

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.