[Minimum KSP version - 1.12] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) v1.29

IgorZ

25 minutes ago, vardicd said:

We're going to need more information to help you, I'm playing on KSP 1.7 with the current version of KIS and KAS, and my kerbals can hold and use the eva tools. I just built a test craft to check.

0a76OGQ.jpg

I've got a level 0 engineer right here holding the wrench, and he just pulled a rovemate rover body off a command pod on the runway. so the mod does work, either you've got

1} A bad install, {pictures of your install directory can help here}

2} An out of date install {Did you manually install, did you install through CKAN? Are you sure you've grabbed the right version?}

2} A mod conflict of some kind which maybe is preventing KIS/KAS from working. {output logs can help here. output log can be found {usually} here: AppData\LocalLow\Squad\Kerbal Space Program\outputlog.

Above all, if we're going to be able to help, we need more information.

1. Of course anything you need to help me fix this. Please forgive me im not very good with computer lingo yet, what is my install directory? Where KSP is on my pc? 

2. Im new with installing mods (about 3wks) but I use the manual way as im not familiar with CKAN. I have KISv1.18 installed. I've got lots of others (e.g. KAS,SPACEY,MECHJEB etc) that all work fine.

I have some photos I want to show you but I can't figure out how to put it in my response. Copy&paste won't work.

Im on 1.6.1 right now. What i'll do is a complete wipe of KSP and install KSP1.7 with JUST KIS and necessary others to run it. That way it will be easier to figure out where the problem is. 

Edited by Frenchy19951

30 minutes ago, Frenchy19951 said:

1. Of course anything you need to help me fix this. Please forgive me im not very good with computer lingo yet, what is my install directory? Where KSP is on my pc? 

2. Im new with installing mods (about 3wks) but I use the manual way as im not familiar with CKAN. I have KISv1.18 installed. I've got lots of others (e.g. KAS,SPACEY,MECHJEB etc) that all work fine.

I have some photos I want to show you but I can't figure out how to put it in my response. Copy&paste won't work.

Im on 1.6.1 right now. What i'll do is a complete wipe of KSP and install KSP1.7 with JUST KIS and necessary others to run it. That way it will be easier to figure out where the problem is. 

1} We need to see the place you installed your mods. you said you're doing it manually, so we need to see the place you're sticking the mods. On my PC it's F:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program.

to share photos I upload them to imgur, then copy paste the link from the imgur site, specifically the link under the heading : BBCode (message boards & forums)

2gddvSN.png

5 minutes ago, vardicd said:

1} We need to see the place you installed your mods. you said you're doing it manually, so we need to see the place you're sticking the mods. On my PC it's F:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program.

to share photos I upload them to imgur, then copy paste the link from the imgur site, specifically the link under the heading : BBCode (message boards & forums)

2gddvSN.png

I checked out what CKAN was about and liked the way it looked so downloaded it and am just about to try it out. 

35 minutes ago, Frenchy19951 said:

I checked out what CKAN was about and liked the way it looked so downloaded it and am just about to try it out. 

So everything is working with CKAN! Even some mods that I thought were working before actually weren't and are now. The only problem now is this message I get for this ONE mod: https://imgur.com/wSq34UX

Any idea what it means?

Edited by Frenchy19951

31 minutes ago, Frenchy19951 said:

So everything is working with CKAN! Even some mods that I thought were working before actually weren't and are now. The only problem now is this message I get for this ONE mod: https://imgur.com/wSq34UX

Any idea what it means?

one of the mods you have uses the b9 part switcher mod, I'm not very familiar with it, but I have one or 2 mods that uses it, and I don't get these errors. either the version of it you have is out of date, or there's a serious problem with the installation of that mod. I'd find the b9 folder in your install, and delete it, figure out what mod you've got that needed it, make sure you've got the most up to date version of that mod and reinstall b9

mBAtq3E.png

On 4/27/2019 at 5:25 AM, IgorZ said:

All KIS containers are shown in the editor in category "Containers". If you don't see what you need there, then it doesn't exist. As I mentioned earlier, I'm open to add more containers, but I need models for them. If, by a chance, you're familiar with 3D modelling, you may send your model and I'll create config for it.

Sounds awkward. Could you please provide a screenshot? Or better a short video.

Not, it's not supposed to be infinite. I've created a bug. Thanks for the report!

Due to my mistake i had two different KIS in my Game Data. KIS and another called KIS-master. Deleting one solved the two inventories problem. I'm trying to make the design for another container, will keep you updated on my progress. And again I found two other questions: If i am using the headalias for headset and sunglasses they cannot be equipped at the same time, am I right? Or can I add / remove something in the CFG for solving that problem? Opening the KIS / KAS inventory during EVA I see the button "Remove Helmet" clicking on it, shows the error: #autoLOC_8003205. Maybe it is broken?

10 hours ago, Frenchy19951 said:

Any idea what it means?

10 hours ago, vardicd said:

one of the mods you have uses the b9 part switcher mod, I'm not very familiar with it, but I have one or 2 mods that uses it, and I don't get these errors. either the version of it you have is out of date, or there's a serious problem with the installation of that mod. I'd find the b9 folder in your install, and delete it, figure out what mod you've got that needed it, make sure you've got the most up to date version of that mod and reinstall b9

The problem is with Near Future Construction and discussed on the last page of the Near Future thread. Nothing is wrong with B9 Part Switch its behaving as intended. The latest version of B9 Part Switch now prints big scary warnings to the screen about problems in parts that used to just be dumped in the logs. The problems have always been there, they just weren't obvious unless a user actually looked for them. All this really does is freak people out that don't know what's going on.

1 hour ago, Tonka Crash said:

The problem is with Near Future Construction and discussed on the last page of the Near Future thread. Nothing is wrong with B9 Part Switch its behaving as intended. The latest version of B9 Part Switch now prints big scary warnings to the screen about problems in parts that used to just be dumped in the logs. The problems have always been there, they just weren't obvious unless a user actually looked for them. All this really does is freak people out that don't know what's going on.

Well this is a relief! Thanks for showing me this.

On 4/27/2019 at 5:02 AM, Drew Kerman said:

It's a stock variable in physics.cfg. I have mine set with a MM patch:

@PHYSICSGLOBALS
{
  @kerbalCrewMass = 0.03125
}

I got my mass from

So, the thing is, KIS doesn't use setting kerbalDefaultMass from its config (it seems I forgot to fix Wiki). It's been done long time ago when Squad first time released kerbal part pre-builds. Since then the EVA kerbal mass is set via the pre-build. Check out file "Squad\Parts\Prebuilt\kerbalEVA.cfg " for values:

initialMass = 3.125
		massMultiplier = 0.03

That's how you can set EVA kerbal mass to zero. KIS doesn't deal with kerbal's mass anymore, it takes whatever mass the game provides in Part.mass field and adds to it the inventory contents mass.

19 hours ago, zer0Kerbal said:

trying to add
      addToTheFirstSeatOnly = AKI_GolfClub

to my working KIS config MM patch. part name has a space "AKI GolfClub" (from Surface Experiments), but doesn't seem to work. rest of patch does so it has to be the name. AKI.GolfClub?

Non-letter symbols are replaced with dot in the part names. So, I'd guess "AKI.GolfClub" may work. In general, it's a not good idea to have spaces in the part name. Are you sure it's the name, not the title?

13 hours ago, Tranquil said:

Opening the KIS / KAS inventory during EVA I see the button "Remove Helmet" clicking on it, shows the error: #autoLOC_8003205. Maybe it is broken?

This error means: "Unable to remove Helmet: <<1>>". The reason can be different, but in general the conditions are not allowing to remove the helmet. I.e. the pressure can be too low or too high, or there can be no oxygen in the atmosphere. I wonder why do you get localization string index instead of the actual message. Are you playing some unofficial localization?

4 hours ago, IgorZ said:

Non-letter symbols are replaced with dot in the part names. So, I'd guess "AKI.GolfClub" may work. In general, it's a not good idea to have spaces in the part name. Are you sure it's the name, not the title?

PART
{
name = AKI GolfClub
module = Part
author = AlbertKermin

mesh = model.mu
scale = 1
rescaleFactor = 1

//node_stack_bottom = 0,0.3, 0, 0, -1, 0, 1
node_attach = 0,0.3, 0, 0, -1, 0, 1

cost = 250
category = Science
subcategory = 0
title = #LOC_SurfaceExperimentPack_GolfClub_title //= AKI-G09 Physical Areodynamics and Gravitation Test

Thank you. That's what I thought. Have included clip from latest version of SEP (ckan).

Have updated and will try again.

Below (s.i.c.) is full patch file.

Spoiler

@KISConfig:FINAL
{
// Specifies default settings of every new inventory created in the editor.
  @Editor
  {
    @PodInventory
	{
	// Specifies items to add to every pod's seat. To add more items add more lines.
	  //addToAllSeats = KHS01 		// Hotkey 3
      addToAllSeats = KIS.electricScrewdriver 	// Hotkey 1
      addToAllSeats = KIS.evapropellant 		// Hotkey 2
      addToAllSeats = KIS.evapropellant 		// Hotkey 2
	  addToAllSeats = KIS.evapropellant			// Hotkey 2
	  addToAllSeats = AKI.GolfClub
    // Specifies items to add to the first pod's seat only.
      addToTheFirstSeatOnly = KIS.evapropellant
      addToTheFirstSeatOnly = AKI.GolfClub
    }
  }
  @EvaInventory
  {
     //@inventoryKey = tab
     //@rightHandKey = x
     //@helmetKey = j
     @slotsX = 4
     @slotsY = 5
     //@slotSize = 50
     //@itemIconResolution = 128
     //@selfIconResolution = 128
     //@maxVolume = 300
     //@openSndPath = KIS/Sounds/inventoryOpen
     //@closeSndPath = KIS/Sounds/inventoryClose
  }
}

18 hours ago, IgorZ said:

This error means: "Unable to remove Helmet: <<1>>". The reason can be different, but in general the conditions are not allowing to remove the helmet. I.e. the pressure can be too low or too high, or there can be no oxygen in the atmosphere. I wonder why do you get localization string index instead of the actual message. Are you playing some unofficial localization?

Hello IgorZ, I don't know how to check if I'm using some unofficial localization. On the other hand, the place where I tried to remove the helmet was at the launchpad, in my experience with the game some time before, there was never an issue with removing the helmet at said place. If the localization stands for the place where the folders are, they are within the GameData folder of KSP, where all the other mods & Squad folder are.There are also parts in the KAS folder that don't work for me. I think it is called Telescopic Pipe.

Edited by Tranquil

On 4/29/2019 at 12:15 PM, Danny ShadowFox said:

i tried editing the pages but in game there is nothing there

The user guide is provided as PDF for the offline convenience. If you only edit it, it won't get reflected in the game. You also need to capture each page of the new guide as DDS and store the pages in the part's definition folder. And if your new guide has different number of pages, you also need to adjust "page" property in the part config. Btw, the long term plan for the manual was to implement it as a Kspedia topic. If you could do it, it would be a great deal!

Hi guys,

Long time fan of this plugin (and KIS too).  Keep up the good work!

I've picked KSP up again after a break, updated the base game to 1.7.0.2483 (I'm on a Mac) with KAS 1.3 and KIS 1.18 (even though it reports it's incompatible with 1.7+ currently).

I'm not sure what the root problem is, but when I am on EVA, even on the launch pad, when I attempt to 'grab connector' on RTS-1, W-50, HW-80, etc, all I get is a 'beep' sound and nothing more.  I can't do anything else with the RTS-1, but I can at least 'release' and 'retract' on the winches, even though I cannot grab the connector.

Looking at the parts from within the vehicle, the RTS-1 says "Connector state: Locked" but that's it.  The winches also have the same message, but there are buttons to operate the part as well.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

EDIT: I turned on debugging related options in KSP and have looked at the KSP.log, but there are no exceptions or warnings related the KAS in there

Edited by Bel Slavin

@Tonka Crash thanks for the link to the Troubleshooting guide.

FWIW, since right now, KIS 1.18 is not supported by KSP 1.7+.  Because of this, I had used

ckan install --allow-incompatible KIS=1.18

but it didn't pull in Module Manager as a dependency.  That was the root of the problem.  The KAS parts did not function properly until MM was also installed.  It appears like it's all working now!!

@Bel Slavin The warnings you see about "incompatible" mods are not a standard feature of the game. The messages come from the mods MiniAVC or KSP-AVC. These mods serve two functions: they notify you when mod updates are available and they warn you about incompatibilities. The mod update messages are reliable, but the incompatibility message, not so much.

The incompatible version check is based on the contents of a text file that lets the mod author specify a range of KSP versions for the mod. If the mod author hasn't updated this .version file to include the latest KSP you get a message. This has little to do with what versions of KSP the mod will actually work with. Last time I looked I have mods from 1.4.1 running fine on 1.7. KSP-AVC has options to suppress the incompatibility messages since they are usually wrong and misleading.

Since 1.4 most mods will work with the latest versions of KSP. There are exceptions: Kopernicus has a unique release for each KSP version and KSP 1.7 did break a handful of mods like KAS, KPBS and Wind Tunnel. It's usually safe to assume mods are compatible with new KSP versions unless you see problems and the forum thread is filling up with people claiming the mod is broken.

A lot of the updates to make a mod compatible are just changing a text file ending in .version that MiniAVC and KSP-AVC use to determine when to throw a compatibility message. This is especially true for parts packs without a .dll. Over the last several months I've noticed several mod makers have started deleting the max version check from this file to avoid throwing warnings every time KSP updates.

On 4/29/2019 at 12:43 AM, Tranquil said:

Hello IgorZ, I don't know how to check if I'm using some unofficial localization. On the other hand, the place where I tried to remove the helmet was at the launchpad, in my experience with the game some time before, there was never an issue with removing the helmet at said place. If the localization stands for the place where the folders are, they are within the GameData folder of KSP, where all the other mods & Squad folder are.There are also parts in the KAS folder that don't work for me. I think it is called Telescopic Pipe.

@Tranquil - Localization files are language files. They're what allows a game to display the word "cohete" instead of "rocket" when playing the game in Spanish instead of English. (assuming the game text is written in English) - i.e. translating words (actually, messages consisting of a whole phrase or sentence) into the "local" language equivalent. Each of those messages has a localization string, so when the autoLOC localization string reference is displayed, it means that for the language you're playing in, there isn't an equivalent translation for that message. That can mean that you're using an unsupported localization, or it could mean that your installation is missing one or more files it's supposed to have. If you're on Steam, you should verify the game installation, and if not, you might try reinstalling the game after ensuring you've backed up your Saves and GameData folders (other than the 1 or 2 Squad subfolders)

1.20 (May 3rd, 2019):

• [Fix #326] Text formating in PAW menu.

1.19 (May 2nd, 2019):

• [Change] KSP 1.7.* compatibility.
  • [Change] Update ES-ES localization.
  • [Change] Make CB-1 volume physical (no override) and allow carrying it on the kerbal's back.
  • [Fix #305] Allow grab hints menu to be turned off in KIS settings.cfg.
  • [Fix #311] Container item launchID incorrect at vessel launch.
  • [Fix #313] Contained item's dry-mass is incorrect in tooltip.
  • [Fix #314] KIS.Container1 cannot be selected as root part.
  • [Fix #315] When the target is too far, KIS says "too heavy".
  • [Fix #317] Stock Parts not stacking in 1.6.1 with no other mods.
  • [Fix #319] Restock part volumes is wrong when a skinned mesh is used.
  • [Fix #320] Some parts refuse to get detached.
  • [Fix #321] KIS Inventory and inflatable parts.
  • [Fix #323] EVA fuel canister has infinite reserve.
  • [Fix #324] Statically attachable parts don't attach.

6 minutes ago, MigBarSan said:

The DLC's Inflatable Airlock inventory is not working.

Welcome to the forums.

You're going to need to supply more information than that, I'm afraid.  There's no where for someone to start helping with a lack of details about your problem.  What versions of KSP and this mod are you using?  What do you mean "...not working."?  Does the inventory window not appear, can you not place and retrieve inventory items, does KSP crash???

Please read this post and provide the info suggested.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.