[Minimum KSP version - 1.12] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) v1.29

IgorZ

Hi @IgorZ, no worries, this isn't a bug (and certainly not) complaint this is just a blue-sky spitballing post about coming up with ideas that may or may not work. So I do agree that this shouldn't be anything of a priority, but hopefully something to think about for the next major update?

I wonder... is it possible to implement a kerbal's grab-and-position functionality as a module for a part, say a robotic arm, whether IR or some other implementation like Konstruction? I already know that the KIS module on a part like that makes the vessel act like multiples of kerbals within its affect range, but the actual grabbing still has to be done by a kerbal on EVA, dismounted from the vessel, when I'm thinking maybe the kerbal on/in the vessel with the robotic arm with the KIS module (or in other words, the vessel itself) be able to simply grab the part and position it (probably even screw it in, but yeah I get the picture why in terms of realism this might not be a popular idea to implement).

I do ask because even if a vessel would be able to provide the lift power and range to reach a 3.5m diameter or larger part, because it's still the kerbal who has to do the grab-and/or-bolt, he or she might be too far out of range of the CoM of the part concerned to manipulate it ("Too far" tooltip). Someone else somewhere else in this forum (or maybe the subreddit?) made a similar observation about how tricky it would be under those conditions, and there are times I wish a robotic crane or mecha or such would just be able to bolt in a 5m diameter part on a node for a ground base KIS-style (... long story, but short version is, saving MaterialKit costs in Ground Construction by shipping prefab parts to bolt in), rather than have to manipulate robotic controls, and a magnet or a Klaw, to get the parts concerned to dock or fasten together. 

Alternatively, could we have the existing KIS module actually also extend the grab and bolt range of nearby kerbals in its own affect range as well, so that even if we have no choice but to use an EVA kerbal due to coding mechanics, at least it'll be as if the robot or crane was doing the heavy lifting and reaching over beyond a kerbal's reach, or in actually be providing the heavy lifting and reaching that a kerbal alone could not do, and all the kerbal had to do was crawl under and screw in the bolts? 

Like I said, it's not a major concern or anything, nothing urgent, but hopefully an idea for a future update, if it is possible to implement in the first place? and can it be 1.4.x friendly in a future update? I feel like I can't even move to 1.6 yet, so much yet to transition over, so much instability in the mods to fear...

2 hours ago, B-STRK said:

@IgorZI wonder... is it possible to implement a kerbal's grab-and-position functionality as a module for a part, say a robotic arm, whether IR or some other implementation like Konstruction? I already know that the KIS module on a part like that makes the vessel act like multiples of kerbals within its affect range, but the actual grabbing still has to be done by a kerbal on EVA, dismounted from the vessel, when I'm thinking maybe the kerbal on/in the vessel with the robotic arm with the KIS module (or in other words, the vessel itself) be able to simply grab the part and position it (probably even screw it in, but yeah I get the picture why in terms of realism this might not be a popular idea to implement).

I do ask because even if a vessel would be able to provide the lift power and range to reach a 3.5m diameter or larger part, because it's still the kerbal who has to do the grab-and/or-bolt, he or she might be too far out of range of the CoM of the part concerned to manipulate it ("Too far" tooltip). Someone else somewhere else in this forum (or maybe the subreddit?) made a similar observation about how tricky it would be under those conditions, and there are times I wish a robotic crane or mecha or such would just be able to bolt in a 5m diameter part on a node for a ground base KIS-style (... long story, but short version is, saving MaterialKit costs in Ground Construction by shipping prefab parts to bolt in), rather than have to manipulate robotic controls, and a magnet or a Klaw, to get the parts concerned to dock or fasten together. 
Alternatively, could we have the existing KIS module actually also extend the grab and bolt range of nearby kerbals in its own affect range as well, so that even if we have no choice but to use an EVA kerbal due to coding mechanics, at least it'll be as if the robot or crane was doing the heavy lifting and reaching over beyond a kerbal's reach, or in actually be providing the heavy lifting and reaching that a kerbal alone could not do, and all the kerbal had to do was crawl under and screw in the bolts? 

As a user I would love either of these. 

6 hours ago, B-STRK said:

I wonder... is it possible to implement a kerbal's grab-and-position functionality as a module for a part, say a robotic arm, whether IR or some other implementation like Konstruction?

This sounds like a KIS API feature. The current implementation is not feasible for it :( It's possible to invoke the KIS methods that can position and attach parts, but it would be very tricky, since the mod was never designed for the external usage. I was thinking to implement something like this in KIS 2.0, but it's a long term plan. I haven't even started on the design.

6 hours ago, B-STRK said:

and can it be 1.4.x friendly in a future update?

Sorry, but no. Testing changes for even one version takes a ton of my time, supporting the mod for multiple game versions is simply not feasible.

While we're at it: not that it's a failure in your mod or anything, it's just that I think you should add an 1.25m version of the pressurized containers for versatility's sake. Also, making smaller parts - such as the surface lights - stackable would be really appreciated... Using 60% of the capacity of a 6k container to hold 12x0.9 liter omnilights seems like a waste :v

That said: God do I love the visual of your containers. I could stare at them all day. All the more reason for us to want more containers - and maaaaybe visual variants.

7 hours ago, rfelipe200 said:

Also, making smaller parts - such as the surface lights - stackable would be really appreciated

If you mean the surface lights from my mod, then they are already stackable. However, extra mods can add own modules to the parts, and it can prevent the stackability. At this point of the mod's life this cannot be changed. However, if you're 100% sure the new modules don't have a persistent state, you can explicitly whitelist thep art via the KIS settings file. If after that the mod goes crazy, blame yourself :)

7 hours ago, rfelipe200 said:

That said: God do I love the visual of your containers. I could stare at them all day. All the more reason for us to want more containers - and maaaaybe visual variants.

Alas, I'm not a "modeller guy". All the models for the mod were created by other people, and none of them is interested/have time to continue making more cool stuff. I'd be glad to incorporate any new models if someone finds time to create them. I'm more or less fine in plain texturing (no bumping or normals!), so that's probably the only visual field where I can do something.

1 hour ago, TanoPrime said:

I have no problem or complaint, loving the mod so much - the ability to repair and modify ships in orbit should be default if aiming for realism.

Thank you for the hard work in creating and maintaining it!

Thank you! The support of the fans is what keeps me running these mods, even though I rarely play the game myself :) 

Some of you were probably guessing when the 1.6 compatible KIS will be released? Well, not just yet. There are at least two major things to be solved before making the release: supporting the stock remove helmet action and proper handling of the parts variants in the inventory. I've also discovered a big issue with performance. We were playing with it for years not even knowing how much CPU was wasted, now I'm going to have it fixed too.

And now a small teaser. Here is what @rfelipe200 made for us! These parts will be in the new release. The new cool parts support multiple skin variants.

EiziSrA.jpg

Edited by IgorZ

11 hours ago, IgorZ said:

Some of you were probably guessing when the 1.6 compatible KIS will be released? Well, not just yet. There are at least two major things to be solved before making the release: supporting the stock remove helmet action and proper handling of the parts variants in the inventory. I've also discovered a big issue with performance. We were playing with it for years not even knowing how much CPU was wasted, now I'm going to have it fixed too.

And now a small teaser. Here is what @rfelipe200 made for us! These parts will be in the new release. The new cool parts support multiple skin variants.

EiziSrA.jpg

I'd like to add that only the new containers will have variants upon release. Variants for the original 2.5m and box containers will come as soon as I figure out their UVs. :v 

On 1/2/2019 at 8:58 PM, IgorZ said:

*picsnip for space saving*

Okay, THAT is glorious and long overdue.

Also, want to thank you for the mod... Without KIS, I would have lost three Kerbals on an asteroid redirect mission when their return ship was accidentally staged. KIS allowed me to salvage the situation and bring them home safely.

On 1/3/2019 at 1:58 AM, IgorZ said:

" I've also discovered a big issue with performance. We were playing with it for years not even knowing how much CPU was wasted, now I'm going to have it fixed too. ..."

Then if you could do a backport for 1.3.1 with the performance fix, I would love you... 

wait.... new version with those aforebementioned parts? does that mean that the bane of every sane mans existence will be fixed? the 1 liter bug should burn in hell for it's hate crime against my kerbals

41 minutes ago, Fraston said:

wait.... new version with those aforebementioned parts? does that mean that the bane of every sane mans existence will be fixed? the 1 liter bug should burn in hell for it's hate crime against my kerbals

There is no "1 liter bug". It is a symptom that you have installed KIS incorrectly.

https://github.com/ihsoft/KIS/wiki/Troubleshooting

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.