[Minimum KSP version - 1.12] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) v1.29

IgorZ

28 minutes ago, V8jester said:

I also see the value in an "Easy" button" for a video game.

This is a different approach, and it seems right to me. Though, why only limiting it to the traits? There are other limitations that people may want to relax (e.g. max mass, max distance, container volumes, EVA fuel reserve, etc.). From this perspective designing a new feature "game complexity level" makes sense. Not sure if it should be a commented patch, though. I don't see how uncommenting lines in a patch file is better than commenting one line in the part config. But I do see how a UI settings dialog would be better (it's in long term plans).

34 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

This is a different approach, and it seems right to me. Though, why only limiting it to the traits? There are other limitations that people may want to relax (e.g. max mass, max distance, container volumes, EVA fuel reserve, etc.). From this perspective designing a new feature "game complexity level" makes sense. Not sure if it should be a commented patch, though. I don't see how uncommenting lines in a patch file is better than commenting one line in the part config. But I do see how a UI settings dialog would be better (it's in long term plans).

Sounds like we all understand each other. I just didn't want to suggest a solution that involved more coding / plugin work for you. I was just suggesting a "quick fix" for a silly problem that I think most of us would simply just overlook anyway.

And because I happen to be playing with a lot of KAS right now I thought I'd share :) 7 trailer transportable modular mining outpost, Mobile crane lifting a full orange tank from a transport semi

screenshot48_zpsnnqs9suc.png~original

screenshot47_zpshe8rlv49.png~original

screenshot46_zpsi0wnf9ic.png~original

Maybe I'm loosing my mind, but I can't seem to get KIS parts to stack any more. I've got USI/MKS installed, and containers with more than ample space, but I can only seem to put a single stuct in a given inventory space; the context menu simply says "No Action". This is also true for things like lights and such. I'm on Linux/x64 so maybe its a key modifider issue, but I'm going slightly mad over it. I checked the debug log but nothing useful. Ideas on where to start debugging this?

1 hour ago, NCommander said:

Maybe I'm loosing my mind, but I can't seem to get KIS parts to stack any more. I've got USI/MKS installed, and containers with more than ample space, but I can only seem to put a single stuct in a given inventory space; the context menu simply says "No Action". This is also true for things like lights and such. I'm on Linux/x64 so maybe its a key modifider issue, but I'm going slightly mad over it. I checked the debug log but nothing useful. Ideas on where to start debugging this?

Some other mods may cause parts to not be stackable. Tweakscale for example maybe? I remember seeing a MM patch that helped with this.

I'm guessing here tho. Could be something else too.

//edit:

Check the post on earlier page

Edited by Varsi
Read back a bit

1 hour ago, NCommander said:

https://github.com/ihsoft/KIS/issues/205

After quite a bit of trial and error, the major mod that was causing issues was KOS; I added it to the overrides "moduleName = KOSNameTag", and I can stack most of the parts except structs themselves, but I could add the struct connectors. Would you like a pull request to add this? You can edit the KOSNameTag in the flight view like Docking Port Alignment so I think its safe to loose this if something is containered or not.

9 hours ago, NCommander said:

Would you like a pull request to add this?

Actually, I'd suggest the other way around. Instead of extending KIS distribution with new exceptions it makes sense to extend the mod that broke KIS behavior. After all, that author has full control on the present and future modules of his mod. I've updated dedicated issue with instructions on how to add custom mods into KIS whitelist. It's really easy. Now, if you're ready to send a pull request to KOS I'll not be objecting :)

24 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

Actually, I'd suggest the other way around. Instead of extending KIS distribution with new exceptions it makes sense to extend the mod that broke KIS behavior. After all, that author has full control on the present and future modules of his mod. I've updated dedicated issue with instructions on how to add custom mods into KIS whitelist. It's really easy. Now, if you're ready to send a pull request to KOS I'll not be objecting :)

Bug filed on the kOS github pointing them at the mod bug: https://github.com/KSP-KOS/KOS/issues/1958

I don't know how to compile mods on Linux and my Windows box is not serviceable ATM else I'd write the patch myself. I hate putting up untested pulls.

5 minutes ago, NCommander said:

Bug filed on the kOS github pointing them at the mod bug: https://github.com/KSP-KOS/KOS/issues/1958

I don't know how to compile mods on Linux and my Windows box is not serviceable ATM else I'd write the patch myself. I hate putting up untested pulls.

MM patch doesn't need compiling. Just make the file and drop it anywhere in the GameData folder.

1.4.3 (February 22nd, 2017)

• [Fix #107] Moving a docked port causes physics effects.
  • [Fix #158] NRE when transferring crew into a pod part without KIS inventories.
  • [Fix #199] Wrong kerbal class in inventory window info when in command seat.
  • [Fix #203] Some physicsless part trigger physics effect on move&attach.
  • [Fix #206] Using of re-dock feature blocks "detach" hotkey.
  • [Enhancement #200] Set decouple momentum on Cargo Mount to zero.
  • [Enhancement #202] Make pod seat's inventory more clear.
  • [Enhancement #204] Allow stacking KIS tools.

4 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

yep... me too...

@IgorZ is there any chance of getting this listed on SpaceDock?... or maybe also listing the releases on Github?...

What is the reason of putting releases there? I'm already updating three different places on each release, and would like not to increase this number unless there is a real need.

9 hours ago, IgorZ said:

What is the reason of putting releases there? I'm already updating three different places on each release, and would like not to increase this number unless there is a real need.

Curse seems to take several hours to approve the release, and it also does not seem to be as active as SpaceDock... I know some people think SD is too slow to download from, and occasionally has outages that may last a day or two for some, but other than the occasional outages, I'm not seeing any issues with SD speeds...??
Also, Curse seems to be averaging just a few new releases every month, and maybe three or four updated mods a week, where SD averages three to six updated mods a DAY...
Plus, for those devs who want their mods hosted on CKAN, CKAN updates, I believe, can be done automatically by just clicking a button on SD...

Granted, I am biased toward SD, as I prefer SD rather than Curse...

You say youre updating on three places already???... I thought KIS/KAS releases were only presently hosted on Curse???

Either way, @IgorZ, I totally appreciate the work you do, and am glad both mods are availiable at all... :)

I just thought since the source gets updated on Github, that it might not be that much extra to just add the actual release there as well.. (I dont know too much about Git, tho...)
And like I said, i'm just partial and biased toward SD over Curse... :P

Edited by Stone Blue

17 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

Curse seems to take several hours to approve the release, and it also does not seem to be as active as SpaceDock... I know some people think SD is too slow to download from, and occasionally has outages that may last a day or two for some, but other than the occasional outages, I'm not seeing any issues with SD speeds...??

Its usually takes months before a new release of KIS is out. Waiting for couple of hours for approval is not a big deal. You only knew about the delay because I updated to the forum before approval was granted :)

21 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

Also, Curse seems to be averaging just a few new releases every month, and maybe three or four updated mods a week, where SD averages three to six updated mods a day...

Not sure if I understand how it relates to KIS. Who cares how many mods are updating thru Curse vs SD? We only care about KIS updates, don't we? :wink:

32 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

Plus, for those devs who want their mods hosted on CKAN, CKAN updates, I believe, can be done automatically by just clicking a button on SD...

It could be a benefit if KIS was not already on CKAN. CKAN now supports Curse, so it automatically picks up new versions from there.

33 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

You say youre updating on three places already???... I thought KIS/KAS releases were only presently hosted on Curse???

1. This forum thread.
  2. Curse.
  3. Github.

All these places need to be updated on every new version.

12 hours ago, IgorZ said:

Not sure if I understand how it relates to KIS. Who cares how many mods are updating thru Curse vs SD? We only care about KIS updates, don't we? :wink:

Just saying maybe SD is now more active/popular than Curse... Some people prefer the simplistic interface of SD over Curse... Same as, obviously some people prefer Curse instead... :blush:

I'm also a believer in having multiple host listings, just for redundancy...

12 hours ago, IgorZ said:

It could be a benefit if KIS was not already on CKAN. CKAN now supports Curse, so it automatically picks up new versions from there.

1. This forum thread.
  2. Curse.
  3. Github.

All these places need to be updated on every new version.

I wasnt sure if Curse automatically generates the NetKan/CKAN file or not...

Gotcha on the three "places" to update...

Since you update Github already, is it extra work to host the actual release package there, along with the source packages as well?
Again, i dont know github that well, so forgive me... :P

Anyway, it was just an option i was throwing out... I'm sure you've considered it before, but just thought i would ask...
I certainly hope no one takes it as trying to badger or argue you into extra work...

So, thanx again for the mods...

(and I think we can now put the subject to rest, before anyone else posts... i think points for/against have been made satisfactorily...)

A friend and I just spent the last 3 hours tinkering with this mod for the first time. Landed a little habitation on Minmus and proceeded to build an unmanned rover with parts hauled up... and it couldn't see CommNet so was unusable. If we shut off CommNet in the difficulty settings, it drove normally, but broke once we re-enabled it.

The rover was 100% vanilla parts: a couple of girders, four wheels, a battery, an antenna, and a HECS core. Partial control, no commnet. Except the antenna was able to transmit, and when we slapped a thermometer on it, we were able to send that information back just fine.

Dozens of permutations were then attempted. Parts were added in different orders, attached to the station (where the hecs was able to control things after everyone went eva), etc... We eventually attempted building the exact same rover the old-fashioned way in the VAB. It worked just fine. So, we had Bill build a copy on the launchpad by hand, and the same problem occurred as happened on Minmus.

Has anyone actually built a working unmanned rover with KIS since the 1.2 patch?

Edited by allaryin
one more thing

First of all I have to say I absolutely love this mod. It is clearly a staple, and KSP would not be the same without it. That being said there is one function that I have long considered to be missing....

Each Kerbal's inventory should be accessible from the Astronaut Complex, and once set that Kerbal will always have that inventory with them. This bypasses the need to set each inventory slot for each Kerbal at each launch (tedious). From a usability perspective this is the only change that desperately needs to be made. Otherwise this mod is essential for any advanced KSP game play. 

@IgorZ

I'm working on reviving the old Werner's Checker mod.  I'd like to put in a check for KIS, so that if KIS is installed, there would be a check item for either a screwdriver and/or wrench.  But it appears that the KIS inventory isn't considered as part of the vessel part list (not sure about that)?

so how can I check to see if there is one of the tools in any of the inventory sections?

Thanks

24 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

@IgorZ

I'm working on reviving the old Werner's Checker mod.  I'd like to put in a check for KIS, so that if KIS is installed, there would be a check item for either a screwdriver and/or wrench.  But it appears that the KIS inventory isn't considered as part of the vessel part list (not sure about that)?

so how can I check to see if there is one of the tools in any of the inventory sections?

Thanks

Inventory is a module on the part. You need to get module "ModuleKISInventory", and then go thru the items. Due to KIS doesn't offer API it would be tricky to implement a "soft" dependency. The only option for now is using reflections. You may save some efforts by writing a "proxy" DLL, though.

1 hour ago, IgorZ said:

Inventory is a module on the part. You need to get module "ModuleKISInventory", and then go thru the items. Due to KIS doesn't offer API it would be tricky to implement a "soft" dependency. The only option for now is using reflections. You may save some efforts by writing a "proxy" DLL, though.

thanks, I got it working

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.