[Minimum KSP version - 1.12] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) v1.29

IgorZ

Sorry to the double post for both here and KAS.

---------------------------
Not sure if this falls into 'expected behavior' or if it's something that isn't in scope of KAS?

I've attached pylons and ladders to the side of the VAB to create my own ladder. I got the idea trying to set up a manual dish at some of the DSN dishes and some of them aren't easily accessible with a Kerbal. Also the small area under the DSN dish made me learn that I suck at both design AND piloting VTOL craft.

I've found that if the extended ladder 'clips' into a lower pylon it's not attached to after reloading the scene where this occurs, KSP sees this as two different vehicles occupying the same space (at least I think this is what's happening) and forces them to violently separate with explosions. As KAS allows the placement in the flight scene, is there an option to specify that an extended ladder can't be placed if it's extended position clips into something? Or would this be too much of an edge case?

1 hour ago, wile1411 said:

Sorry to the double post for both here and KAS.

---------------------------
Not sure if this falls into 'expected behavior' or if it's something that isn't in scope of KAS?

I've attached pylons and ladders to the side of the VAB to create my own ladder. I got the idea trying to set up a manual dish at some of the DSN dishes and some of them aren't easily accessible with a Kerbal. Also the small area under the DSN dish made me learn that I suck at both design AND piloting VTOL craft.

I've found that if the extended ladder 'clips' into a lower pylon it's not attached to after reloading the scene where this occurs, KSP sees this as two different vehicles occupying the same space (at least I think this is what's happening) and forces them to violently separate with explosions. As KAS allows the placement in the flight scene, is there an option to specify that an extended ladder can't be placed if it's extended position clips into something? Or would this be too much of an edge case?

Sorry, but it's hard to understand the problem only from the text. Can you somehow make a short video? KAS doesn't have any ladder parts, so I'm a bit lost trying to match your request with the KAS functionality.

6 hours ago, IgorZ said:

Sorry, but it's hard to understand the problem only from the text. Can you somehow make a short video? KAS doesn't have any ladder parts, so I'm a bit lost trying to match your request with the KAS functionality.

He wants to know if it’s possible to have the mod block placement of a part, if said part is clipping into another part. 

14 hours ago, IgorZ said:

As KAS allows the placement in the flight scene, is there an option to specify that an extended ladder can't be placed if it's extended position clips into something? Or would this be too much of an edge case?

Well, if you meant what @ExplorerKlatt have pointed out, then the answer is no. First of all, KAS does not allow or control the parts placements. KIS does it to some extent, but under no circumstances KAS deals with the parts or vessels positioning. The only way how you can use KAS to workaround your clipping issue, is attaching the vessels in the docking mode. The clipping parts of the same vessel don't collide, so that's how you can avoid the explosion.

I read the instructions, mac dowloads zip files by unpacking them into there own folder. I pult that foler into gamedata ans run the game, find 1 liter bug,  get frustrated, close game.

Do you want me to drag the zip file as its being unpackrd into gamedata?

9 minutes ago, Fraston said:

I read the instructions, mac dowloads zip files by unpacking them into there own folder. I pult that foler into gamedata ans run the game, find 1 liter bug,  get frustrated, close game.

Do you want me to drag the zip file as its being unpackrd into gamedata?

I cannot tell how you should unpack ZIP. My system is Windows, and your's Mac. I can only tell what is expected in the directory structure to make the mod working. This image is from Wiki:

The right KIS folder content

May be someone else in this thread has enough experience with Mac to suggest how exactly the ZIP files should be unpacked there.

Hello, I created a ksp community account just to ask this. I saw this mod and it looked cool, so promptly downloaded it and set it up. Everything works, and so I built a craft and sent the ILC-18K container  on my craft to Minnie, full of extra batteries, solor panels, and small fuel tanks. I also packed a ISRU converter, which is around 3K liters. Is there any way to move that outside of the container, or is it just stuck inside the craft, as a kerbal cannot reach in from the outside and 3000L is much more than a kerbal backpack at 300. 

2 hours ago, Shoeman said:

Hello, I created a ksp community account just to ask this. I saw this mod and it looked cool, so promptly downloaded it and set it up. Everything works, and so I built a craft and sent the ILC-18K container  on my craft to Minnie, full of extra batteries, solor panels, and small fuel tanks. I also packed a ISRU converter, which is around 3K liters. Is there any way to move that outside of the container, or is it just stuck inside the craft, as a kerbal cannot reach in from the outside and 3000L is much more than a kerbal backpack at 300. 

If you don't care about the realism, simple adjust the KIS/settings.cfg file: set `maxDistance` and `grabMaxMass` to whatever values you like.

However, if do care about realism, you should understand that a thing of volume of 1m3 simply cannot fit into a kerbal's backpack. In KSP world, the maximum mass is approximated to the number of kerbals nearby: one kerbal = 1t. The volume limit, however, cannot be beaten. If you cannot place the item into kerbal's backpack or attach it on the back (some items allow it), then your best bet is moving the item out of inventory to the ground, and then moving it by picking it up and dropping at a greater distance (given you have enough kerbals nearby to satisfy the mass limit).

Edited by IgorZ

4 hours ago, IgorZ said:

If you don't care about the realism, simple adjust the KIS/settings.cfg file: set `maxDistance` and `grabMaxMass` to whatever values you like.

However, if do care about realism, you should understand that a thing of volume of 1m3 simply cannot fit into a kerbal's backpack. In KSP world, the maximum mass is approximated to the number of kerbals nearby: one kerbal = 1t. The volume limit, however, cannot be beaten. If you cannot place the item into kerbal's backpack or attach it on the back (some items allow it), then your best bet is moving the item out of inventory to the ground, and then moving it by picking it up and dropping at a greater distance (given you have enough kerbals nearby to satisfy the mass limit).

I did think of that, but I have no idea on how to move it onto the ground. As it is in that large inline container it is only accessible from inside the ship. So how would I get it out and onto the ground? 

2 hours ago, Loren Pechtel said:

Gave me a thought--how would I set up a MM patch to do this?  (So it persists after an update.)

Create a patch file that ends in .cfg somewhere under the GameData directory and insert the following block into it. Adjust the values as you need. I use GameData\ZZZ_PersonalPatches\KIS.cfg for my local customization.

@KISConfig:FINAL
{

@EvaPickup // change range & mass allowed
    {
		@maxDistance = 10 // 3 (default) bump up range to 10m
		@grabMaxMass = 5 // 1 (default) bump up mass to 5 tons
	}

}

6 hours ago, Shoeman said:

As it is in that large inline container it is only accessible from inside the ship. So how would I get it out and onto the ground? 

The issue with large containers will be fixed in the next release (see bug). I plan to make the release before this weekend.

2 hours ago, Tonka Crash said:

Create a patch file that ends in .cfg somewhere under the GameData directory and insert the following block into it. Adjust the values as you need. I use GameData\ZZZ_PersonalPatches\KIS.cfg for my local customization.

@KISConfig:FINAL
{

@EvaPickup // change range & mass allowed
    {
		@maxDistance = 10 // 3 (default) bump up range to 10m
		@grabMaxMass = 5 // 1 (default) bump up mass to 5 tons
	}

}

Thank you.  I didn't know enough about Module Manager to know how to make it run at the end.  As it stands you can't handle big parts with it no matter what you do.

29 minutes ago, Loren Pechtel said:

As it stands you can't handle big parts with it no matter what you do.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. I've used it to move entire ships before. The worst case was to put back together a ship after a Kraken attack with values of 50000 tons and 200m range and had no problems. Usually I leave it at 1 ton and 5 meters.

39 minutes ago, Loren Pechtel said:

Thank you.  I didn't know enough about Module Manager to know how to make it run at the end.  As it stands you can't handle big parts with it no matter what you do.

you don't "make it run".  It is just a config file.  module manager parses all of the config files it finds in the gamedata folder when you start KSP.

1 hour ago, Tonka Crash said:

I'm not sure what you mean by this. I've used it to move entire ships before. The worst case was to put back together a ship after a Kraken attack with values of 50000 tons and 200m range and had no problems. Usually I leave it at 1 ton and 5 meters.

With changed values, yes, you can put the ship back together.  I'm saying with the default values you simply can't grab a big part because it's too big to let you get close enough.

1 hour ago, goldenpsp said:

you don't "make it run".  It is just a config file.  module manager parses all of the config files it finds in the gamedata folder when you start KSP.

Just because it's a scripting language doesn't mean it doesn't run.  It most certainly is being "run" by module manager and it has to be run after KIS has set itself up.

47 minutes ago, Loren Pechtel said:

Just because it's a scripting language doesn't mean it doesn't run.  It most certainly is being "run" by module manager and it has to be run after KIS has set itself up.

Still not really.  I mean it gets into splitting hairs in a way.  the .cfg files are not executables, so they are not "run". They however "read" by the modulemanager .dll when it is invoked.

53 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

the .cfg files are not executables, so they are not "run"

FWIW, "executable file" is nothing more than a term. A C# assembly is stored in DLL which is assumed to be an executable file type, but in fact the file doesn't execute since it doesn't contain machine code. And even if we take EXE (which does contain machine code), the file itself doesn't run: the OS reads its content, loads into memory and let's CPU to run the code. That said, there are no "true" executable files at all :) 

1 hour ago, goldenpsp said:

Still not really.  I mean it gets into splitting hairs in a way.  the .cfg files are not executables, so they are not "run". They however "read" by the modulemanager .dll when it is invoked.

Kerbal Space Program is written in C#.  That is compiled to an intermediate language--it can't execute any more than a script file.

6 minutes ago, rfelipe200 said:

WAIT A GODDAMN MINUTE

OK, rly, do you think you can do "that thing I told you about" now?

What you've proposed was a feature to the mod (if we're talking about that spawning parts idea), and what is actually done is a simple debug dialog.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.