[Minimum KSP version - 1.12] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) v1.29

IgorZ

11 hours ago, Actually_New_KSP_Player said:

How do I attach struts in EVA? I only have KIS and the struts just clipping through the textures of another ship and don't attach If I try to.

I don't think Kerbal Inventory System is the mod you need.  Do you have Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) installed?

3 minutes ago, Brigadier said:

I don't think Kerbal Inventory System is the mod you need.  Do you have Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) installed?

By the way, the struts in KAS are deprecated and will be removed soon. It's recently undergone a full overhaul to make it more realistic, and the EVA struts are not a particularly realistic thing.

1 minute ago, RealKerbal3x said:

By the way, the struts in KAS are deprecated and will be removed soon. It's recently undergone a full overhaul to make it more realistic, and the EVA struts are not a particularly realistic thing.

Good to know.  I thought he meant the stock struts.

7 hours ago, KerbalST said:

How Can i Edit maximal Kerbal Mass Pickup?
Am i Supposed to change This:

kerbalDefaultMass 

?
@IgorZ

Correct. I usually update this setting via MM patch, stored in another folder. This way the setting won't be overwritten when upgrading to a new version. Here is my debug patch:

@KISConfig:BEFORE[KIS]
{
	%Global
	{
		%itemDebug = true
	}
	%Debug
	{
		%partAlignToolKey = &K
	}
	%EvaPickup
	{
		%maxDistance = 30
		%grabMaxMass = 100
	}
}

I was wondering this: do we really need a Kerbal to be in a seat in order for it's inventory to be available?

You see: I've built 2 identical crafts, one being a Soyuz and the other being a Progress craft.

The progress craft is unmanned and is used to haul parts... but now i've discovered i can't use the seat inventory because it needs to be used by a kerbal for the seat inventory...

Now i was wondering if this inventory could be used if there is... let's say a command probe present?

So that other Kerbals could use the inventory.

1 hour ago, MK3424 said:

I was wondering this: do we really need a Kerbal to be in a seat in order for it's inventory to be available?

You see: I've built 2 identical crafts, one being a Soyuz and the other being a Progress craft.

The progress craft is unmanned and is used to haul parts... but now i've discovered i can't use the seat inventory because it needs to be used by a kerbal for the seat inventory...

Now i was wondering if this inventory could be used if there is... let's say a command probe present?

Seat inventory is the Kerbal's pockets, so yes, the Kerbal needs to be present.

There are parts with independent inventory that don't need a Kerbal or even a command probe present to hold inventory.  The various KIS containers like the ILC-18k Container or the ISC-6K Container are likely what you're looking for.

1 hour ago, MK3424 said:

I use the following patch to add a KIS inventory to all crewed parts. My playstyle is that "cargo" goes in this inventory and the only thing launched in the per seat inventory are a screwdriver and a spare EVA bottle that is added in a different patch. I don't use this to double up the amount of extra stuff I could cram in a craft. This also matches most of the IVAs that show bags of stuff stowed in most capsules. I consider these bags justification for the "cargo" I'm carrying in this new KIS inventory. I really only use KIS Containers if I want a central storehouse on a base or station or I really need to haul a lot more stuff than fits in these small inventories.

Spoiler

// Add storage to crewed parts that don't already define a KISInventory to allow
// cargo even if seats are empty at launch. Since seat inventory is supposed to
// represent pocket contents, it should only contain items automatically added
// for each seat (screwdriver & EVA bottles). This separates cargo from personal
// items. 300L per seat (approximate 3 duffel bags)
@PART[*]:HAS[#CrewCapacity[>0],!MODULE[ModuleKISInventory]]:FINAL
{
    MODULE // never ever use % here will replace first MODULE with following block
    {
        name = ModuleKISInventory
        maxVolume = 300 // 300L per seat, 3 man pod has a little
                        // more than a SC-62 Container
        @maxVolume *= #$/CrewCapacity$
        externalAccess = true
        internalAccess = true
        slotsX = 1
        @slotsX *= #$/CrewCapacity$ // make gui scale with capacity
        slotsY = 8
        slotSize = 50
        itemIconResolution = 128
        selfIconResolution = 128
        openSndPath = KIS/Sounds/containerOpen
        closeSndPath = KIS/Sounds/containerClose
        defaultMoveSndPath = KIS/Sounds/itemMove
    }
}

1 hour ago, Tonka Crash said:

I use the following patch to add a KIS inventory to all crewed parts. My playstyle is that "cargo" goes in this inventory and the only thing launched in the per seat inventory are a screwdriver and a spare EVA bottle that is added in a different patch. I don't use this to double up the amount of extra stuff I could cram in a craft. This also matches most of the IVAs that show bags of stuff stowed in most capsules. I consider these bags justification for the "cargo" I'm carrying in this new KIS inventory. I really only use KIS Containers if I want a central storehouse on a base or station or I really need to haul a lot more stuff than fits in these small inventories.

Hide contents

// Add storage to crewed parts that don't already define a KISInventory to allow
// cargo even if seats are empty at launch. Since seat inventory is supposed to
// represent pocket contents, it should only contain items automatically added
// for each seat (screwdriver & EVA bottles). This separates cargo from personal
// items. 300L per seat (approximate 3 duffel bags)
@PART[*]:HAS[#CrewCapacity[>0],!MODULE[ModuleKISInventory]]:FINAL
{
    MODULE // never ever use % here will replace first MODULE with following block
    {
        name = ModuleKISInventory
        maxVolume = 300 // 300L per seat, 3 man pod has a little
                        // more than a SC-62 Container
        @maxVolume *= #$/CrewCapacity$
        externalAccess = true
        internalAccess = true
        slotsX = 1
        @slotsX *= #$/CrewCapacity$ // make gui scale with capacity
        slotsY = 8
        slotSize = 50
        itemIconResolution = 128
        selfIconResolution = 128
        openSndPath = KIS/Sounds/containerOpen
        closeSndPath = KIS/Sounds/containerClose
        defaultMoveSndPath = KIS/Sounds/itemMove
    }
}

Gee, thanks!

3 hours ago, Tonka Crash said:

My playstyle is that "cargo" goes in this inventory and the only thing launched in the per seat inventory are a screwdriver and a spare EVA bottle that is added in a different patch.

I was resistant to this idea at some moment. But now when I played with physically realistic kerbals backpack size, I've changed my mind. I think I'll add cargo space into the pods in some next version. 300L per seat looks realistic, given kerbals "pocket" is only 110L.

Just now, IgorZ said:

I was resistant to this idea at some moment. But now when I played with physically realistic kerbals backpack size, I've changed my mind. I think I'll add cargo space into the pods in some next version. 300L per seat looks realistic, given kerbals "pocket" is only 110L.

Where's the 110L come from? I thought Kerbal pockets were set by KISConfig/EvaInventory/maxVolume = 300. I didn't cut this limit so the Kerbal still had the full volume if you needed to carry something on EVA, thinking more about zero-g moving between two vessels that may be a short distance apart but outside of grab distance.

1 minute ago, Tonka Crash said:

Where's the 110L come from? I thought Kerbal pockets were set by KISConfig/EvaInventory/maxVolume = 300

It was announced in the last release. You may activate kis_physical_containers.cfg patch to have all the containers fixed so that they become realistic with relation to their outer volume. For the kerbals backpack I choose the largest backpack that can be found on market today - it's110L :)  If you take a look at it, you'd notice it's about of the jetpack size. For the other KIS containers a simple math were used to find the maximum internal volume given their geometry and size.

3 minutes ago, Tonka Crash said:

I didn't cut this limit so the Kerbal still had the full volume if you needed to carry something on EVA, thinking more about zero-g moving between two vessels that may be a short distance apart but outside of grab distance.

For the common EVA work you only need like 50L. It's enough to have one tank of EVA fuel and couple of tools. Too large size of the seat inventory is the most common reason why people try to use it as a regular cargo space.

1 hour ago, IgorZ said:

For the common EVA work you only need like 50L. It's enough to have one tank of EVA fuel and couple of tools. Too large size of the seat inventory is the most common reason why people try to use it as a regular cargo space.

And a ladder. Never go EVA without a ladder or two.

Is there something I'm missing with the EVA items?  Only a small handful of them work when I try to equip them.  Most of them (especially headgear) don't do anything when I click equip.  I've got a completely fresh Steam install and installed KIS using CKAN.

8 minutes ago, thewayshemoves said:

Is there something I'm missing with the EVA items?  Only a small handful of them work when I try to equip them.  Most of them (especially headgear) don't do anything when I click equip.  I've got a completely fresh Steam install and installed KIS using CKAN.

KIS doesn't have "head gear". What you're using is probably "Kerbal Props" mod parts. If they don't work right, try reaching the author.

20 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

KIS doesn't have "head gear". What you're using is probably "Kerbal Props" mod parts. If they don't work right, try reaching the author.

I wasn't aware of that.  They are installed when I install KISKIS is literally the only thing installed on my game right now.

EDIT:  Oops!  I did actually have a prop pack installed.  Contacted author and got it sorted out.  Thanks, and sorry for that brain lapse there!

Edited by thewayshemoves

I've been using KAS for a while in my KSP 1.6.1 game, but within the last few days, I have noticed a problem: When attempting to attach any object, the 'attachment nodes' no longer appear.  Has anyone experienced this?  I feel like maybe it was an update to another mod that somehow impacted this one; I recall doing some heavy duty KAS/KIS work on a ship on March 3rd.  So whatever broke this, must have happened after then.  The only mods CKAN installed/updated after March 3rd were Docking Port alignment indicator and OPT Reconfig.  Hoping someone has seen this in their game?

Edited by cjones

@cjones Do you mean 'attachment nodes' as in the green/black symbol? I've never seen those with KIS. If you are having trouble attaching to nodes in general; are you using the screwdriver? The wrench only works for surface attach parts. Also you can cycle through the attach rules for a part with 'R'. For a lot of parts this is each node and surface attach if allowed. I've sometimes run into the part defaulting to surface attach when I want it to attach to a node and cycle through R until it's the node I want.

@Tonka Crash The nodes only appear when you have switch to bottom/top node mode with 'r'.  For example, you could pick up say, a docking port with g, then press r to switch to the bottom node.  Then you could move it over, say one end of a fuel tank.  You'd see a blueish orb in the same spot you'd see the attachment node in the VAB.  It would then snap to that spot and you could attach it permanently.

For some parts that cannot be attached with surface attachment, this is required (for example Konstruction weldable ports).

Here's a screenshot of what I am talking about: https://i.stack.imgur.com/gGwWe.jpg

But in my game, that little blueish orb in the bottom right of the image does not appear anymore, and this has only started happening in the last few days.

Ohhh I'm so sorry!  So, I've been shuttling Kerbals around to a few different places, and I ran low on tools at one station and I was using a wrench instead of the drill!   Hahaha, crisis averted!

Edited by cjones

On 3/3/2019 at 5:51 AM, IgorZ said:

Are you using any of the image quality enhancing techniques at GPU? Like downscaling. Looking at the screenshot I'd suggest the camera port (that is used to make the icons) is set the constant size while the parts or screen is upscaled.

Well I changed NavBall Scale, AltimeterScale and Time Controls Scale. Where can I change the other settings? 

9 minutes ago, cjones said:

But in my game, that little blueish orb in the bottom right of the image does not appear anymore, and this has only started happening in the last few days.

I'm finally understand your problem. I'm still seeing those nodes it in my game (just went and checked) and I updated the Navyfish Docking Port Alignment Indicator and 8 other mods since the 3rd, but I don't use OPT reconfig. I'd copy your install to a new tree and delete OPT Reconfig and see if that clears the problem. You haven't tweaked any .cfg files.outside of just updating, have you? I create so many problems for myself always tweaking things. I've started backing up the ModuleManager.ConfigCache to make sure I'm not introducing unintended changes.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to request a 3.75m container. I just did a search and see that a 3.75m container has at least been brought up, though if I am reading it right, the response was along the lines of "If there is a dozen of people who need a particular part configuration I can add it.". My use case is an interplanetary construction/engineering cruiser with enough spares on board to fix a dozen similar sized vessels with a dozen part failures each.

3 hours ago, Foxxonius Augustus said:

I would like to request a 3.75m container. I just did a search and see that a 3.75m container has at least been brought up, though if I am reading it right, the response was along the lines of "If there is a dozen of people who need a particular part configuration I can add it.". My use case is an interplanetary construction/engineering cruiser with enough spares on board to fix a dozen similar sized vessels with a dozen part failures each.

There is already a Mk3 formfactor, which is basically a 3.75m one with the sides cut off. Though I agree, a 3.75m container would be useful.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.