[Minimum KSP version - 1.12] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) v1.29

IgorZ

Hi, I need some help! I play with the space station redux pack of parts installed and noticed when the expandable habitation modules are put in storage, the volume they take up is equivalent to their expanded configuration. They should for sure be in their deflated configuration when in storage, and I can't find where in the config files they might be. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

On 1/4/2020 at 11:31 PM, zipelsquerp said:

Hi, I need some help! I play with the space station redux pack of parts installed and noticed when the expandable habitation modules are put in storage, the volume they take up is equivalent to their expanded configuration. They should for sure be in their deflated configuration when in storage, and I can't find where in the config files they might be. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

It might be worth taking this to that mod's thread as well - but the simple answer is that it's likely being computed and not specified in the file.  So what's needed is an MM patch to set it.  You'll need to figure out what values are acceptable, but here's a link to the KIS wiki page which should help writing the patch:

https://github.com/ihsoft/KIS/wiki/ModuleKISItem

The value you need to set is: volumeOverride

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I wanted a  fuel tank that could be carried by a kerbal as a jerry can so I modded the dumpling tank to be a back-carried item. This seemed fine when I tried it with an empty tank but when I tried to pick up a full tank the mass of the tank seems to increase every frame so by the time my kerbal walked to where he was supposed to drop the tank it now weighs 264 tonnes.

The MM config I used to patch the dumpling

@PART[externalTankRound]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleKISItemEvaTweaker
		carriable = true
		equipMode = part
		equipSlot = jetpack
		equipBoneName = aliasJetpack
		equipPos = (0,0.21,-0.3)
		equipDir = (10,0,0)
		runSpeed = 0.8
	}
}

Is it possible to do what I want?

On 1/16/2020 at 11:04 AM, tomf said:

Hi, I wanted a  fuel tank that could be carried by a kerbal as a jerry can so I modded the dumpling tank to be a back-carried item. This seemed fine when I tried it with an empty tank but when I tried to pick up a full tank the mass of the tank seems to increase every frame so by the time my kerbal walked to where he was supposed to drop the tank it now weighs 264 tonnes.

The MM config I used to patch the dumpling

@PART[externalTankRound]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleKISItemEvaTweaker
		carriable = true
		equipMode = part
		equipSlot = jetpack
		equipBoneName = aliasJetpack
		equipPos = (0,0.21,-0.3)
		equipDir = (10,0,0)
		runSpeed = 0.8
	}
}

Is it possible to do what I want?

Hmm. v1.23 had a bug which I thought I've fixed. Are you using the latest version? Could you please share the config of your part and some short video of the problem?

1 hour ago, IgorZ said:

Hmm. v1.23 had a bug which I thought I've fixed. Are you using the latest version? Could you please share the config of your part and some short video of the problem?

Sorry I should have said, I'm still on KSP 1.7.3 as I'm using Kopernicus. I will wait for Kopernicus to update and retry on 1.8

34 minutes ago, tomf said:

Sorry I should have said, I'm still on KSP 1.7.3 as I'm using Kopernicus. I will wait for Kopernicus to update and retry on 1.8

Ah! It explains. Indeed, that bug was sitting there for a while. I'm pretty sure it was present in the KSP 1.7.x versions. If you're a eng person and want to know how to fix it, here is the fix code. At the GitHub, checkout to the version you're using, patch, and build. That's how you can get it fixed for yourself. I wish I could support the older versions, but I simply don't have capacity for this :( 

1 hour ago, zer0Kerbal said:

this?

[Versatile Toolbox System]

Never saw those before, but no.  I could have swore there was a black locker/toolbox looking thing that was a part of KIS normally.  It was radial mounted and had a small and large version.  Maybe it was a part of Vens Stock Revamp, I used to use that all the time.  

8 hours ago, eberkain said:

Never saw those before, but no.  I could have swore there was a black locker/toolbox looking thing that was a part of KIS normally.  It was radial mounted and had a small and large version.  Maybe it was a part of Vens Stock Revamp, I used to use that all the time.  

Nope. KIS didn't have anything like this in the last 2-3 years. You can attach the portable container on a side of the vessel, but I doubt it was what you were referring to.

4 hours ago, eberkain said:

I found this old pic where I used the part I am looking for.  The black box thing on the side of the rover, surely that looks familiar? 

WkOkuy0.png

That's from SEP:

The pack is discontinued and the experiments no longer work - but the locker boxes work fine.

Ahh, I never realized, I guess I always assumed those were part of stock KIS.   I wonder if the license would allow moving them over?  None of my business really.  I did find a radial mount small KIS container is a part of Universal Storage 2 which fill the same role. 

15 hours ago, eberkain said:

Ahh, I never realized, I guess I always assumed those were part of stock KIS.   I wonder if the license would allow moving them over?  None of my business really.  I did find a radial mount small KIS container is a part of Universal Storage 2 which fill the same role. 

Something might be possible.  CobaltWolf seems open to letting it happen:

On 7/2/2019 at 12:14 PM, CobaltWolf said:

Hmm, it does occur to me that my request to not have it adopted was mostly in the interest of people not rushing to try and put work into it before the DLC was announced. If people want to try to patch it, please do go ahead. If people want to hold on to the assets from the mod (the lockers and box in particular) feel free to re-release them, even.

@IgorZ - If I were to put together a PR to add these parts to KIS, would you be interested?  There's three parts that would be interesting: A large locker, a small locker, and a cardboard box.  The image above is the large locker - the small locker would be similar, and the cardboard box is basically a KIS Container without a mount point and with a small stored volume.  (So you can pack containers into storage, and then pull them out and use them to carry things around.)

On 1/28/2020 at 11:26 AM, DStaal said:

@IgorZ - If I were to put together a PR to add these parts to KIS, would you be interested?  There's three parts that would be interesting: A large locker, a small locker, and a cardboard box.  The image above is the large locker - the small locker would be similar, and the cardboard box is basically a KIS Container without a mount point and with a small stored volume.  (So you can pack containers into storage, and then pull them out and use them to carry things around.)

I'm always happy to bring new parts into KIS :)  Feel free to file a PR.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any way to increase the UI size of the inventories? Not being able to read any of the text makes it a lot harder to use. :-( I run KSP with a UI scale of 170%, which makes most things readable, but not KIS. Sort of hoping I'm just overlooking something, but I have a sinking feeling that I'm not.

38 minutes ago, rmaine said:

Is there any way to increase the UI size of the inventories? Not being able to read any of the text makes it a lot harder to use. :-( I run KSP with a UI scale of 170%, which makes most things readable, but not KIS. Sort of hoping I'm just overlooking something, but I have a sinking feeling that I'm not.

patch GameData/KIS/settings.cfg (IIRC) - here is a sample patch. Requires module manager. I don't know any more than this.

Spoiler

// KISsettings.cffg v1.0
// mod
// created: 2020 05 14
// updated: 2020 05 14

@KISConfig[KISConfig]:NEEDS[KIS]:AFTER[KIS]
{
	@EvaInventory
	{
		// @inventoryKey = tab
		// @rightHandKey = x
		// @helmetKey = //j - J conflicts with Breaking Ground DLC.
		// @slotsX = 2
		// @slotsY = 4
		@slotSize = 50
		@itemIconResolution = 128
		@selfIconResolution = 128
		// @maxVolume = 110
		// @openSndPath = KIS/Sounds/inventoryOpen
		// @closeSndPath = KIS/Sounds/inventoryClose
	}
}

// MIT
// zer0Kerbal

Edited by zer0Kerbal

I tried KIS (and KAS alongside it) right after the big change from the simplified KAS back in the deep dark ages, and was unhappy with it. I didn't like the changes. I didn't like the split of the mod into 2 mods. I didn't like the inventory and the extra keys and all that.

Then years went by and I figured it was time to try it again. And WOW am I glad I did. This mod is slick. I just brought a two ships together in low (JNSQ) Mun orbit, docked them together, and stripped the one ship for parts to upgrade and extend the other ship. I then put all the unused pieces in a ball, slowed down to get a ground collision, and tossed them aside with my handy dandy power drill.

I still mess up the keys sometimes (though the little tooltip popup is a lifesaver!) but wow is this a billion times better than it was on first release years ago, and it's far more powerful than the original KAS ever hoped to be.

I know I'm way late to the party but consider me a convert.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.