[Minimum KSP version - 1.12] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) v1.29

IgorZ

5 hours ago, VoidSquid said:

As per CKAN, KIS 1.27 ist backwards compatible with KSP 10.10.1, yes?

I didn't check, but I assume it may not be compatible. Please, let us know if you test it.

Is it just me or is the stock inventory system pretty much junk? It can't hold a candle to KIS.  Maybe it is because I can't find anything on how the new stock system works, but no default jetpack, not able to carry anything, weird logic of how it works (maybe because I can't figure out how it actually works), etc.  What a pain. At this point, I'd prefer a way to turn off the stock system and use KIS exclusively. 

Just my 1.9983654877648746367 cent rant for the holidays!!!

53 minutes ago, jmbailey2000 said:

Is it just me or is the stock inventory system pretty much junk? It can't hold a candle to KIS.  Maybe it is because I can't find anything on how the new stock system works, but no default jetpack, not able to carry anything, weird logic of how it works (maybe because I can't figure out how it actually works), etc.  What a pain. At this point, I'd prefer a way to turn off the stock system and use KIS exclusively. 

Just my 1.9983654877648746367 cent rant for the holidays!!!

Jetpack is there by default.  Kerbals can carry things (there's a whole category there for the new carryables, like EVA repair kits, worklights, etc.).    The rest is just a difference of opinion :)

5 hours ago, jmbailey2000 said:

So tell us, given that half of what you said was wrong:

4 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Jetpack is there by default.  Kerbals can carry things (there's a whole category there for the new carryables, like EVA repair kits, worklights, etc.).

why should anyone think that anything else in your rant is worth listening to?  How much time did you spend trying to learn the new mechanics, vs the amount of time you have using KIS?  Is it possible that your KIS experience has warped your ideas so you can't consider anything else?

Speaking of new mechanics, lets say you have repair kits in the kerbals KIS inventory.  Is there a way to use them from KIS inventory slots?  Can't sort it out. I skimmed past a comment somewhere the other day about dropping items from KIS inventory on the ground then clicking on them to put them in stock inventory.  Not working for me and I can't find the reference now

Edited by darthgently

On 1/3/2021 at 5:02 PM, darthgently said:

Speaking of new mechanics, lets say you have repair kits in the kerbals KIS inventory.  Is there a way to use them from KIS inventory slots?  Can't sort it out. I skimmed past a comment somewhere the other day about dropping items from KIS inventory on the ground then clicking on them to put them in stock inventory.  Not working for me and I can't find the reference now

Nope, you cannot do that. But you can drop the item on the ground, put it into the stock inventory, and use it from there.

22 hours ago, IgorZ said:

Nope, you cannot do that. But you can drop the item on the ground, put it into the stock inventory, and use it from there.

That didn't work for me at the time with repeated attempts.  But later, after quitting the game and coming back in it did work.  For what it's worth, the items in the Kerbal's KIS inventory only showed their item number, the images were not there, just the empty gray slots.  But the items could be dragged out and put in, just had to hover over to see what they were.  I've seen this before with KIS across multiple versions.  I don't think it was related to the inability to pick up the items and use them in stock construction mode but figured I'd mention it.  Anyway, restarting the main unity/ksp/mono process "fixed" it.  I had tried changing craft and back, going to tracking station and back with no joy.  Also, this was in space, not on a surface, so not sure if "dropping" is the same thing in space.  But it did eventually work.

Edited by darthgently

I adore this mod and I thank all the support it has received. I cannot figure out, however, what causes this bug that makes some parts explode when trying to either attach them to the surface, or simply place them on (or directly above) the surface. In 1.11 there is now a new bug that won't allow a kerbal to move a part from one place on the surface to another. You attempt the action and it behaves like normal but the part jumps back to it's origin. I'm not very savvy with proper bug reporting but I'm wondering how I could help / if anyone else has encountered these bugs and found a fix/workaround. Cheers~

1 hour ago, ElonsMusk said:

I'm not very savvy with proper bug reporting but

Check out the short topic below.  It should answer most of your initial questions and get you started.  Every mod author's requirements for bug reporting are slightly different so be flexible and accommodating.

On 12/24/2020 at 1:08 AM, IgorZ said:

It's a good point and of course I keep it in mind. At this point it's hard to say how much it will be "integration" vs "replacement". E.g. the stock inventory GUI on my personal taste is not good and barely useable. It works OK when you only have 2-3 parts, but I don't see how this system can be used to construct something really big (100+ parts). If I find a way to disable only the stock GUI while leaving the rest of the functionality working, then it can be a solution.

there are some utilities like repair kit for solar panels and antenaas which are very useful in some situations 

9 minutes ago, viveleroi said:

I'm using mods in 1.11 that support KIS.  Does KIS work with the stock alternative or am I going to have a lot of problems?

I scanned the most recent pages on this thread and didn't see any clear info.

At this point they are fully independent.

1.28 (January 15th, 2021):

• [Fix #378] Dropped parts cannot be moved or trigger physics.
  • [Fix #379] KIS functionality interferes with the stock construction mode.
  • [Fix #380] Model equippable parts cannot be carried.
  • [Fix #381] Hide UI command doesn't play well with KIS.
  • [Fix #382] Static attach doesn't verify which joint is broken.

People keep asking if KIS is compatible with the stock system. So, here is the official answer which I hope will make it crystal clear. KIS and the stock inventory system are completely independent. They do not interfere with each other, but they do not cooperate either. You can install or remove KIS at any moment with zero impact to the stock inventories in your carrier game. And you can use the stock inventory system anywhere anytime without a risk to harm KIS inventories. The worst thing that may happen is some GUI interference. In this case please let me know and I'll have it fixed.

And some announce about how KIS will live and evolve further. From now on KIS v1.* should be considered "the old version". There will be patches released to fix bugs, but no steps will be done to integrate it with the stock system. However, there is an undergoing effort to build KIS v2. This was baking for about a year now, and this version will integrate with the stock system. At this moment it's too early to give details or promise features, but the main goal will be to turn KIS v2 into a new GUI to the stock inventory system.

Edited by IgorZ

6 hours ago, IgorZ said:

And some announce about how KIS will live and evolve further. From now on KIS v1.* should be considered "the old version". There will be patches released to fix bugs, but no steps will be done to integrate it with the stock system. However, there is an undergoing effort to build KIS v2. This was baking for about a year now, and this version will integrate with the stock system. At this moment it's too early to give details or promise features, but the main goal will be to turn KIS v2 into a new GUI to the stock inventory system.

Thank you very much for making this KIS v2 :) I just hope that they don´t make another fundamental change like in 1.11. This news is really nice to hear.

26 minutes ago, MaliciousDog said:

On 1.10.1 the game nearly freezes whenever I place a crewable part in VAB with KIS 1.28 installed.

And this forum topic explicitly says : [Minimum KSP version - 1.11]

24 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

And this forum topic explicitly says : [Minimum KSP version - 1.11]

Oops, sorry. Missed that.

An unrelated question: are container names only visible in PAW? There's no way to see labels on boxes packed in a container without getting them out first?

10 minutes ago, alphaprior said:

I've set CKAN on 1.10.1 yet it updated KIS to the last version which is incompatible and I get errors now :huh:

So ask the CKAN people.  They can handle cleaning up the metadata in most cases.  It is not always clear who even maintains the CKAN info as many mods are on CKAN even though the mod developer does not maintain that themselves.

8 hours ago, MaliciousDog said:

An unrelated question: are container names only visible in PAW? There's no way to see labels on boxes packed in a container without getting them out first?

If you mean the inventory name, then yes - it can only be seen in the dialog. Could be a nice feature to see it when the box is packed into another inventory.

8 hours ago, alphaprior said:

I've set CKAN on 1.10.1 yet it updated KIS to the last version which is incompatible and I get errors now :huh:

There was an issue in the version file. It's fixed now. Once CKAN updated, it will pickup the change.

On 1/15/2021 at 11:03 PM, IgorZ said:

The worst thing that may happen is some GUI interference. In this case please let me know and I'll have it fixed.

I'm having an issue and I can't seem to figure out what's causing it. Forgive me, for I'm brand new to ALL of this. Idk how I didn't know about it earlier, but I just recently discovered KSP and I'm having a blast. Then I found about mods and holy moly did my blown mind blow again. Anyhoo, apologies if this isn't the correct place to ask this:

In the VAB, when attempting to add the Electric Screwdriver to the cargo absolutely nothing in the EVA Items appears when I'm in the Cargo tab. Doesn't matter the vehicle, or even SPH. I can't figure out if I'm doing something wrong, as I'm attempting to learn how to use everything, or if it's legitimately a glitch or conflict. I have two active contracts where I have to (1) attach a solar panel to a satellite orbiting Kerbin, and (2) repair a satellite orbiting the Mun. My goal was to do both in one trip. I know I don't need the screwdriver for the repair, but I'm pretty positive I need it to attach the new solar panel. 

I'm running on macOS Mojave (10.14.6), 3.6GHz Intel i9, 32GB RAM, Radeon Pro 580X 8GB, KSP 1.11.  Output log and ckan mod list can be found here

I've tried scouring the interwebs for a solution, but haven't come across anything with the similar problem. 

As I've recently discovered the game, as of Jan 5, I've only more recently discovered the community. And holy cow, what a community. Thanks in advance for the help, and again my apologies if this isn't the right place to submit my problem. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.