[Minimum KSP version - 1.12] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) v1.29

IgorZ

8 minutes ago, Alphathon said:

KIS/KAS allows parts to be either attached by a particular node or surface (depending on the part). That part can either be surface-attached or node-attached. Unlike in the editor though you have to tell it which mode you want it in. Notice how in the screenshot it says Attach (bottomNode)? That means it is trying to attach its bottom node to a node on the craft. Hit R until it gets to surface and I think you should be good.

hmmm, pressing R just switches it between "bottom node" and "docking node". the bottom node is the side that attaches to parts surface and the docking node is the end the arm end effector docks to... In the VAB I have no issues surface attaching this part to any other part that allows surface attach, which the PMA does.

3 minutes ago, si2504 said:

hmmm, pressing R just switches it between "bottom node" and "docking node". the bottom node is the side that attaches to parts surface and the docking node is the end the arm end effector docks to... In the VAB I have no issues surface attaching this part to any other part that allows surface attach, which the PMA does.

7 minutes ago, Caerfinon said:

I tested the two parts and had to hit R key until srfAttach was visable and then it attached just fine. In node mode (bottom or docking) it wants an open node end to attach to and will not attach to surface.

Yeah, pressing R should cycle through all the available attachment points/modes, so it should go bottomNode dockingNode srfAttach (i.e. surface attach) bottomNode (again). On some parts there may be many more attachment nodes to cycle through.

11 minutes ago, Caerfinon said:

@si2504 @Alphathon I tested the two parts and had to hit R key until srfAttach was visable and then it attached just fine. In node mode (bottom or docking) it wants an open node end to attach to and will not attach to surface.

TYCqcbF.png

would it be possible for you to share the config file of the PDGF part so I can check the attachments/nodes are the same as the ones in mine? its literally just cycling between bottom node and docking node....

2 minutes ago, si2504 said:

the config file of the PDGF part

Sure.

Spoiler

PART
{
	name = ht_PDGF
	module = Part
	author = Benjee10

node_attach = 0.0, -0.03, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 0

rescaleFactor = 0.69
	TechRequired = specializedConstruction
	entryCost = 3100
	cost = 100
	category = Coupling
	subcategory = 0
	title = Power/Data Grapple Fixture
	manufacturer = HabTech Consortium
	description = This structural element provides a fixture onto which grapple units can attach. It can also provide power to attached robotics elements. 
	attachRules = 1,1,1,0,0
	mass = 0.02
	dragModelType = default
	maximum_drag = 0.25
	minimum_drag = 0.25
	angularDrag = 0.5
	crashTolerance = 10
	maxTemp = 2000 // = 3400
	bulkheadProfiles = size1, srf
	tags = HabTech, dock, robotic, arm, canadarm, grapple, node, fixture, move, couple, female,
	stagingIcon = DECOUPLER_VERT

MODEL
	{
		model = htRobotics/Parts/ht_PDGF
	}

NODE
	{
		name = bottomNode
		transform = bottomNode
		size = 0
	}
	NODE
	{
		name = dockingNode
		transform = dockingNode
		size = 0
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleDockingNode
		referenceAttachNode = dockingNode
		nodeType = PDGF
		undockEjectionForce = 0
		acquireForce = 0.5
		acquireTorque = 0.5
		acquireRange = 0.4
		gendered = True
		genderFemale = True
		stagingEnabled = False
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleCargoPart
		packedVolume = 10
		stackableQuantity = 10
	}

}

1 minute ago, si2504 said:

would it be possible for you to share the config file of the PDGF part so I can check the attachments/nodes are the same as the ones in mine? its literally just cycling between bottom node and docking node....

Mine has attachRules = 1,1,1,0,0 which should be all it needs. The second number corresponds to SrfAttach, so if it is 1 it should work fine.

2 minutes ago, Caerfinon said:

Sure.

Reveal hidden contents

PART
{
	name = ht_PDGF
	module = Part
	author = Benjee10

node_attach = 0.0, -0.03, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 0

rescaleFactor = 0.69
	TechRequired = specializedConstruction
	entryCost = 3100
	cost = 100
	category = Coupling
	subcategory = 0
	title = Power/Data Grapple Fixture
	manufacturer = HabTech Consortium
	description = This structural element provides a fixture onto which grapple units can attach. It can also provide power to attached robotics elements. 
	attachRules = 1,1,1,0,0
	mass = 0.02
	dragModelType = default
	maximum_drag = 0.25
	minimum_drag = 0.25
	angularDrag = 0.5
	crashTolerance = 10
	maxTemp = 2000 // = 3400
	bulkheadProfiles = size1, srf
	tags = HabTech, dock, robotic, arm, canadarm, grapple, node, fixture, move, couple, female,
	stagingIcon = DECOUPLER_VERT

MODEL
	{
		model = htRobotics/Parts/ht_PDGF
	}

NODE
	{
		name = bottomNode
		transform = bottomNode
		size = 0
	}
	NODE
	{
		name = dockingNode
		transform = dockingNode
		size = 0
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleDockingNode
		referenceAttachNode = dockingNode
		nodeType = PDGF
		undockEjectionForce = 0
		acquireForce = 0.5
		acquireTorque = 0.5
		acquireRange = 0.4
		gendered = True
		genderFemale = True
		stagingEnabled = False
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleCargoPart
		packedVolume = 10
		stackableQuantity = 10
	}

}

1 minute ago, Alphathon said:

Mine has attachRules = 1,1,1,0,0 which should be all it needs. The second number corresponds to SrfAttach, so if it is 1 it should work fine.

yep, just hold the thought there for a moment, I may have spotted something in the RO configs I created for HT2 and HTRobotics......

guys I have sorted the issue. Like a muppet, I altered some attachrules in my RO configs for the Canadarm and by my stupidity included the PDGF changing its ability to surface attach:rolleyes: Thank you guys for your patience and efforts to try and help me! I can now continue my build calmly........for now;p 

13 hours ago, rudemario said:

In regards to your video, I had stuttering on place, not on grab.

Tried to do it on place, and did notice a 500ms jitter. Never noticed it before because I usually don't start camera rotation afterwards. A half of a second delay doesn't seem reasonable in this operation. I'll investigate it. Created a ticket: https://github.com/ihsoft/KIS/issues/396.

14 hours ago, rudemario said:

I switched my preorder for the $200 more expensive EVGA FTW3 Ultra card

This is exactly the card I'm hunting for. I'm in the EVGA notification list since December :( 

13 hours ago, rudemario said:

I heard that for the US one of the surefire ways has been EVGA's step-up program

Hmm. This is an interesting idea. Thanks for it!

56 minutes ago, adriangm44 said:

I've got a TERRIBLE idea to develop, although it could bring this mod to a whole new level of GLORY:

• What if we could store subassemblies into the containers?!

Wouldn't that be AMAZING?!

Is it possible?

Might be, that you are looking for something like this: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/80225-19-110-hangar/

I'm sure someone has already asked about it, maybe even me in the past, but I went through at least 5 last pages in this thread and couldn't find the answer.

Can the OP be updated to answer at least the most basic question? Namely, what is this mod? It's not meant to sound sarcastic but I don't know how to make it not sound sarcastic :/

6 minutes ago, Krzeszny said:

I'm sure someone has already asked about it, maybe even me in the past, but I went through at least 5 last pages in this thread and couldn't find the answer.

Can the OP be updated to answer at least the most basic question? Namely, what is this mod? It's not meant to sound sarcastic but I don't know how to make it not sound sarcastic :/

It adds a non-stock inventory system for Kerbals and parts, allowing more parts to be placed into an inventory. It also brings a better system of the stock EVA construction mode allowing you you detach and attach additional parts outside of the VAB, ie whilst in orbit.

6 minutes ago, Krzeszny said:

Namely, what is this mod?

Well from the OP.

On 10/13/2016 at 12:15 AM, IgorZ said:

KIS introduces new gameplay mechanics by adding a brand new inventory system and EVA usables items as tools. You want to build a rover on Duna from scratch? Or you've forgot to attach a solar panel to the planetary station? With KIS it's not a problem!

This pretty much states what this mod is and does.

34 minutes ago, Caerfinon said:

Well from the OP.

Not really. I thought my point was obvious, but I'll elaborate.

"new gameplay mechanics" - such as? 
"brand new inventory system" - what makes it brand new?  
"EVA usable items and tools" - what items and tools?
"want to build a rover on Duna on scratch or attach a solar panel to planetary stations?" - you can do it in stock KSP, can't you?

"The mod offers container parts of various size to deliver spare parts to the orbit or at the construction site." - stock KSP already adds part containers.

Kerbals now have own backpack to hold small items, and some of them can be equipped on the model. AR goggles? Fancy hat? Or, maybe, a completely new helmet?! It's all possible now!

With special tools (provided by the mod) kerbals now can modifying teh existing vessels by adding or removing parts. It's even possible to build a whole new vessel from scratch!

That's possible in stock KSP, except for the goggles, hats etc. Stock KSP also has special tools used in EVA construction.

Usually OP's advertise the functions of mods in a way that makes players want to download them. OP's at least list the things mods add. This mod seems to add... stock things?

34 minutes ago, si2504 said:

It adds a non-stock inventory system for Kerbals and parts, allowing more parts to be placed into an inventory. It also brings a better system of the stock EVA construction mode allowing you you detach and attach additional parts outside of the VAB, ie whilst in orbit.

Imagine a generic mod called "Revamped mechanics and New Parts for KSP 1.11" with a description saying "This mod revamps some mechanics, adds fuel tanks and cargo containers" with no further details.

I'm interested in how this mod allows more parts to be placed in inventories and what makes its EVA construction system better.

Edited by Krzeszny

1 hour ago, Krzeszny said:

Well you point was not obvious.  While there is a Stock Inventory system now, there was no such system in 2016 when this mod was released.

If your point is that this mod is no longer required now that there is a stock system, some would argue that the stock functionality does not provide all the options that KIS still provides. The two systems are completely separate and you can use one or the other or both or neither as you choose to. 

2 hours ago, Krzeszny said:

"new gameplay mechanics" - such as? 
"brand new inventory system" - what makes it brand new?  
"EVA usable items and tools" - what items and tools?
"want to build a rover on Duna on scratch or attach a solar panel to planetary stations?" - you can do it in stock KSP, can't you?

"The mod offers container parts of various size to deliver spare parts to the orbit or at the construction site." - stock KSP already adds part containers.

That's possible in stock KSP, except for the goggles, hats etc. Stock KSP also has special tools used in EVA construction.

Usually OP's advertise the functions of mods in a way that makes players want to download them. OP's at least list the things mods add. This mod seems to add... stock things?

Imagine a generic mod called "Revamped mechanics and New Parts for KSP 1.11" with a description saying "This mod revamps some mechanics, adds fuel tanks and cargo containers" with no further details.

I'm interested in how this mod allows more parts to be placed in inventories and what makes its EVA construction system better.

So try it for yourself then and find out, you can always delete it if it's no use to you.

There's plenty of youtube showcases/reviews of KIS that shows you exactly what it is capable of and what new features it brings or what features it builds upon.

2 hours ago, Caerfinon said:

If your point is that this mod is no longer required now that there is a stock system, some would argue that the stock functionality does not provide all the options that KIS still provides.

No. My point is that there's no explanation what...

51 minutes ago, si2504 said:

new features it brings or what features it builds upon

...in 1.11.

What does it do that the stock system doesn't? In my opinion, the mod's description should describe that.

2 minutes ago, Krzeszny said:

No. My point is that there's no explanation what...

...in 1.11.

What does it do that the stock system doesn't? In my opinion, the mod's description should describe that.

I'm on 1.11.1 myself, and can assure you that the construction mechanics of it OUTSIDE of the VAB is far superior to that of the stock EVA construction mode. Its just easier to use and it adds parts for your Kerbals to use to carry out those tasks of attaching parts or detaching parts via use of electric screwdriver/wrench. It also adds containers you can place in your crafts to store parts in order to build and attach parts for bases/stations. Dude, just try it out for yourself, the documentation it comes with explains everything you can do with the mod and how to do it. 

27 minutes ago, Krzeszny said:

You are entitled to your opinion. But KIS was the first inventory EVA build mod and I don't think any mod needs to explain itself every time a similar feature is added be either the stock game or another mod maker.

Choose to use it. Choose not to use it.   

On 5/29/2021 at 7:57 AM, Caerfinon said:

But KIS was the first inventory EVA build mod and I don't think any mod needs to explain itself every time a similar feature is added be either the stock game or another mod maker.

The long term, KIS won't be the same as it is today. It's ridiculous to have two inventory systems in parallel. However, it would take significant time before a proper convergence can be implemented.

1 hour ago, IgorZ said:

The long term, KIS won't be the same as it is today. It's ridiculous to have two inventory systems in parallel. However, it would take significant time before a proper convergence can be implemented.

It's not ridiculous if the latter vastly improves upon stock. If you look past the inventory side of it, the other aspects of the mod make life that bit easier.

3 hours ago, IgorZ said:

I agree with the inventory. The stock inventory is working well and probably only need some additions/options on top, that KIS could provide (Like collapsing the Inventory slots, transportable containers or being able to add every part to a container).

However the building mode is different and would actually love the KIS building mode back, as the stock one is easily deorbiting a station if you do eva work.

But a question: Is actually the inventory part the hard one? I was testing to just remove the KIS inventory modules and allow everything into the regular Inventory, which worked. Guess it is the transition from the stock inventory to the KIS building mode?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.