[Minimum KSP version - 1.12] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) v1.29

IgorZ

20 hours ago, t6jesse said:

Anybody know of a mod that enhances the lifting capacity of kerbals? Right now if you want to move a part you need 1 kerbal per ton - is there a part mod that adds like a command pod or exosuit or something that increases that? 

Edit: nevermind, I discovered ModuleKISPickup

For a mod that has parts with that module, check out USI's Konstruction:

I actually used the Konstruction KIS patch as a template. I got it working! First rescaled part (mini Klaw) and first MM patch functioning just how I hoped! I wanted a Klaw that I could use with the DLC robotics as a building assistant, and set it to add 3 tons of lift capacity for my engineer

On 10/28/2019 at 7:43 PM, Wyzard said:

So, the news reporting about NASA's recent all-female spacewalk includes a photo of them holding a type of tool that should be familiar to KIS users.  :)

191018-jessica-meir-christina-koch-al-06

(That's from this NBC report.  And this article has an image of Jessica using the tool on Earth.)

I remember discussions in this thread, where people were arguing like "c'mon! it's SIMPLY a screwdriver! anyone can use it!!!". However, using a screwdriver in zero gravity is not the same as attaching a curtain rod in a children's room.

On 11/2/2019 at 4:30 PM, IgorZ said:

I remember discussions in this thread, where people were arguing like "c'mon! it's SIMPLY a screwdriver! anyone can use it!!!". However, using a screwdriver in zero gravity is not the same as attaching a curtain rod in a children's room.

Probably easier since it has no weight. You arm wouldn't get tired after holding it for 79hrs.

Look at the size of that screw driver. mocking us with their weightless environment.

36 minutes ago, uglyduckling81 said:

Probably easier since it has no weight. You arm wouldn't get tired after holding it for 79hrs.

But it still has mass that has to be controlled and force has to be applied to do that.  Back to physics class for you :sticktongue:

I've been meaning to ask, I'm guessing the lack of compatibility with 1.7 comes from the fact that Breaking Ground introduces it's own inventory system.  How different is the stock implementation to an inventory to KIS's?  I wonder because it feels like Squad was heavily inspired by KIS when they came up with their inventory system.  

Is there a chance that KIS could be modified to take the stock inventory's place?  It's a shame because I love the new Breaking Ground parts, but it's inventory seems a bit clumsy.  I prefer the KIS approach where you can drop items on the ground or slide the boxes onto kerbal's backs like backpacks.  Things like fuel lines as well were always really fun.

On 11/9/2019 at 8:47 PM, PTNLemay said:

I've been meaning to ask, I'm guessing the lack of compatibility with 1.7 comes from the fact that Breaking Ground introduces it's own inventory system.  How different is the stock implementation to an inventory to KIS's?  I wonder because it feels like Squad was heavily inspired by KIS when they came up with their inventory system.  

Is there a chance that KIS could be modified to take the stock inventory's place?  It's a shame because I love the new Breaking Ground parts, but it's inventory seems a bit clumsy.  I prefer the KIS approach where you can drop items on the ground or slide the boxes onto kerbal's backs like backpacks.

In nutshell, KIS and the stock inventory systems are completely incompatible. It may seem they are similar, and as such, it's not a big deal to converge. Alas, under the hood, the implementation is so different that it's not possible. The only thing that is possible is disabling the stock inventory system and re-implement it in scope of KIS. I decided not to do this work in scope of the old KIS, and do it in scope of t KIS v2 instead.

Take a look at this post to see how the new KIS will look like. It will blend to the stock game inventory and, eventually, replace it altogether.

On 11/9/2019 at 8:47 PM, PTNLemay said:

Things like fuel lines as well were always really fun.

That's KAS, actually :)  KSP doesn't have anything similar to this.

1 hour ago, paul23 said:

How can I do that (in orbital eva)?

The best way is to attach a part to a ship, move Kerbals, reattach the part and repeat until you are at the desired place. Every Kerbal has a 1t limit and they add it together. You need only one of them to attach parts. The others are only helpers.

1 minute ago, maja said:

The best way is to attach a part to a ship, move Kerbals, reattach the part and repeat until you are at the desired place. Every Kerbal has a 1t limit and they add it together. You need only one of them to attach parts. The others are only helpers.

Wait I can reattach parts while kerbals are inside the vehicle? Or how do you prevent them drifting off?

5 hours ago, paul23 said:

Wait I can reattach parts while kerbals are inside the vehicle? Or how do you prevent them drifting off?

The kerbels have to be eva. In this case, ladders or handrails are your friends.

Edited by shdwlrd

It seems that I've unlearned how to offset parts...
I can use B/N to offset the parts so it looks nice, but the moment I press "H" in order to attach, the offset is back at default.

What am I doing wrong? I don't use KIS/KAS much, or often... but I know that I could offset parts the last time I tried.

Edit, later: many items that used to be stackable no longer are. In this case I've got a saved vessel from two weeks ago where I put 10 Joint Sockets in one slot, but now the number is gone, and I cannot increment/decrement the count. Context Menu offers "No action". Removing the apparently single item will change the vessel mass by 80kg (one masses 8kg, so yep... there have been ten of them).

In the flight scene, I can still split the stack, but it's no longer possible to put it together again.

I've spent the better part of the day selectively un-installing mods in order to find the guilty party, but so far no luck. Then again, I don't think I have installed any mods in the mean time, which makes it even curioser.

Edit the second, we have a winner: https://github.com/KSP-KOS/KOS/issues/1539
the kOS nameTag needs to be listed as an acceptable module.

it's strange how I can waste the whole day on a fruitless search, go whining on the forums, then immediately find the solution.

Edited by Laie

1 hour ago, nickicool said:

Hi! If I install KIS on 1.8.1, can I use the experiments from Breaking Ground?

KIS is set up so that it will ignore the BG experiments (ie: you can’t manipulate them with KIS), so that KIS and the stock inventory will not  fight over them. So yes, you can use them, but only with their accompanying inventory system.

IIRC @IgorZ is working on KIS v2, which will adapt the stock inventory for its purpose instead of having its own.

• 2 weeks later...

I've found quite an interesting bug. When using KIS + Universal Storage 2 + Kerbalism(or TACLS) the EVA-X (from US2) will keep adding mass and value to infinity when equipped.

Searching for the bug source what I found out is that when an object is equipped the _resourceMass and _resourceCost are not being reset when CaptureItemStateFromPart() is called every frame.
This makes the mass and coast of any resource inside an equipped item to be added each frame instead of being recalculated.

I made a test version with them being reset to 0 before the calculation (similar to the _contentMass and _contentCost) and it seems to be working.

KIS_Item.Equip() > KIS_Item.AlignEquippedPart() > KIS_Item.CaptureItemStateFromPart()
KIS_Item.cs lines 739 and 740

On 11/25/2019 at 4:30 PM, GFX5000i said:

I've found quite an interesting bug. When using KIS + Universal Storage 2 + Kerbalism(or TACLS) the EVA-X (from US2) will keep adding mass and value to infinity when equipped.

Searching for the bug source what I found out is that when an object is equipped the _resourceMass and _resourceCost are not being reset when CaptureItemStateFromPart() is called every frame.
This makes the mass and coast of any resource inside an equipped item to be added each frame instead of being recalculated.

I made a test version with them being reset to 0 before the calculation (similar to the _contentMass and _contentCost) and it seems to be working.

KIS_Item.Equip() > KIS_Item.AlignEquippedPart() > KIS_Item.CaptureItemStateFromPart()
KIS_Item.cs lines 739 and 740

Thanks! Indeed, it's a bug. Logged an entry.

• 2 weeks later...

I may be missing something, but just updated to 1.8.1 and still having the issue that all the parts are there, but I can't seem to drop them into the container inventory.

Basic SC-62 under a MK 1 pod just to test.     Can't drop wrench, KIS manual, or anything else into the container.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.