[Minimum KSP version - 1.12] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) v1.29

IgorZ

I saved Bill!  I took the orbit and other info for the SQUAD monolith at KSC in persistent.sfs, nudged the numbers so he wouldn't materialize inside the monolith, put it into Bill's VESSEL record, restarted the game and he was just standing there with an end of movie Dave Bowman look on his face.  He had seen things 

29 minutes ago, darthgently said:

I'm on 1.10.1 also and if you recall I had grab issues also, and now the SC 62 flight mode mess.  How'm I going to save Bill? Y'all need to take this seriously.  He is my most experienced engineer dangit. ;)

Here's the deal, no one here has to do a thing to help you and demanding we take you seriously doesn't really make me want to spend any time on you. I offered a suggestion of the gray hand issue you were seeing that prompted a rant from you about support for mods.  I'm really tempted to just add you to my ignore list.

From the video it looks like a broken install to me and not necessarily from KIS.  Post the entire log, snippets usually just show the symptoms of a problem and not the actual cause of the problem if it's captured at all. If Linux creates it please post the KSP.log, its created in the game install directory on windows machines.  It's much easier to parse that the player.log

90% of the problems I see are installation issues due to players either screwing up manual installs, not keeping their install current or not installing all the dependencies.

To isolate if it's really a problem with KIS or something screwed up in your installation, create a clean stock install with only KIS and its required dependencies.  If it is still a problem, odds are it's a KIS issue otherwise something is screwed up in your installation. Simple steps are to make sure your mods are current and install ZeroMiniAVC if you don't already have it. You can also look in the KSP.log (or whatever Linux creates) for errors and exceptions being thrown by mods during the loading phase of the game and try to clean them up.

2 minutes ago, Tonka Crash said:

Here's the deal, no one here has to do a thing to help you and demanding we take you seriously doesn't really make me want to spend any time on you. I offered a suggestion of the gray hand issue you were seeing that prompted a rant from you about support for mods.  I'm really tempted to just add you to my ignore list.

From the video it looks like a broken install to me and not necessarily from KIS.  Post the entire log, snippets usually just show the symptoms of a problem and not the actual cause of the problem if it's captured at all. If Linux creates it please post the KSP.log, its created in the game install directory on windows machines.  It's much easier to parse that the player.log

90% of the problems I see are installation issues due to players either screwing up manual installs, not keeping their install current or not installing all the dependencies.

To isolate if it's really a problem with KIS or something screwed up in your installation, create a clean stock install with only KIS and its required dependencies.  If it is still a problem, odds are it's a KIS issue otherwise something is screwed up in your installation. Simple steps are to make sure your mods are current and install ZeroMiniAVC if you don't already have it. You can also look in the KSP.log (or whatever Linux creates) for errors and exceptions being thrown by mods during the loading phase of the game and try to clean them up.

I appreciate your honesty, and I'm sorry if I implied it was certainly a KIS problem; I mentioned before that I'm looking into memory issues and am also looking into heat issues that this model of gaming LT is known for.  I blame the Kraken and mono if anything as it makes stomping out bugs difficult I imagine. Having developed code for 3 decades so it is hard for me to turn over a problem to someone else when I know their time is no less valuable than mine and with some effort I can figure quite a bit out and save them some time possibly.  I looked at all the logs and decided the problem was so across the board that I didn't want to take that much of your time until I'd narrowed things down.  But I did want to let you know about the hand thing in case it was a known issue that a simple cfg file might fix or similar.  I don't know what you know. 

I also offered it in case it became a useful datapoint for you, not to bother you or push you.  I'm trying to be on your side here.  I don't expect anyone to solve my install issues from a distance for free, and that is out of respect for you and other mod developers, at the same time, having developed banking and mission critical apps for most of my career, I know how important it can be to get some feedback instead of crickets.  I think a lot of people don't report bugs because they find the process to be outside the amount of time they set aside for gaming.  Which can leave devs feeling like there are no, or only isolated, issues to deal with.  But if they have a few more datapoints they can see patterns that makes their lives easier in maintaining the code as they can get in front of issues rather than having them jump out at them

I'd rather you not ignore me and I wish things hadn't come across how they had, but if you do choose to ignore me after reading this, then that's ok.  I wouldn't get it as it would seem a bit dramatic after I'd explained better, but I'd get over it

On 8/15/2020 at 4:38 PM, Alversia said:

I feel like an absolute moron. When I equip an item and attempt to detach an item (hold "h" and click on the part), nothing happens. I can't grab items as when I hold "g" and try to drag the part into my inventory, nothing happens there either). I feel like I'm doing something very obviously wrong but I've no idea what. I'm trying it with an engineer and I have the screwdriver equipped.

Hi all! Just an update that I managed to solve this problem! I'm playing on a laptop and for some reason, it does not like when I attempt to use the trackpad to grab/detach/attach items. Whenever I plug in a mouse and use that however, the mod works perfectly fine.

3 hours ago, Alversia said:

Hi all! Just an update that I managed to solve this problem! I'm playing on a laptop and for some reason, it does not like when I attempt to use the trackpad to grab/detach/attach items. Whenever I plug in a mouse and use that however, the mod works perfectly fine.

I've never had much luck with laptop trackpads and KSP. Thanks for reporting back.

7 hours ago, Alversia said:

I recall someone was reporting similar issue a year ago. IIRC, it' a Unity issue (or feature?). It reports mouse and trackpad clicks differently, so unless the app is specifically checking for the trackpad events, they won't be handled.

21 hours ago, darthgently said:

I had a Kerbal put on one SC 62 now here is what his inventory looks like and he is glitching like crazy
https://photos.app.goo.gl/9GdouDdaqpPpzrFT9

How did you put all these containers in the backpack? KIS doesn't allow to have more than one carriable item in the backpack. The only known way to bypass the check is using KIS debug feature "Spawn item". And this feature must be used wisely, it's not made for a regular player.

15 hours ago, IgorZ said:

I recall someone was reporting similar issue a year ago. IIRC, it' a Unity issue (or feature?). It reports mouse and trackpad clicks differently, so unless the app is specifically checking for the trackpad events, they won't be handled.

How did you put all these containers in the backpack? KIS doesn't allow to have more than one carriable item in the backpack. The only known way to bypass the check is using KIS debug feature "Spawn item". And this feature must be used wisely, it's not made for a regular player.

I didn't, that was part of the glitch, I suppose.  When I would drop them, the console would spit out a "null object reference" error, predictably, because they weren't really "there".  One of them was "real" in that it didn't generate an error and when I dropped it, the box disappeared off the kerb's back.  Is that clearer?  I was dealing with a major glitch at the time.  I'm still having issues with the SC 62 and grabbing things in general.  Often, when my kerb is grabbed onto a ladder, and I access the 62 to attach or grab something, the will let go of the ladder and the "'F' to grab on" message will persist even long after I've turned on his jetpack and zoomed away and no ladder is anywhere near.  The sfs file showed all the boxes as ITEMs, but their uids were the same as the original box.  Also, many attributes in the kerb's record in the sfs were duplicated several times redundantly.  In hindsight, I think the number was equal to the number of times I tried to go back to flying the kerb after I had to ctrl-c to kill the program because flying him would hang the program.  I think each attempt somehow caused another 62 to be added to the save file, but am not sure

To be totally clear, I did *not* use the spawn feature.  I wouldn't know what to do with that many boxes

Edited by darthgently

On 8/25/2020 at 5:45 AM, darthgently said:

I didn't, that was part of the glitch, I suppose.  When I would drop them, the console would spit out a "null object reference" error, predictably, because they weren't really "there".  One of them was "real" in that it didn't generate an error and when I dropped it, the box disappeared off the kerb's back.  Is that clearer?  I was dealing with a major glitch at the time.  I'm still having issues with the SC 62 and grabbing things in general.  Often, when my kerb is grabbed onto a ladder, and I access the 62 to attach or grab something, the will let go of the ladder and the "'F' to grab on" message will persist even long after I've turned on his jetpack and zoomed away and no ladder is anywhere near.  The sfs file showed all the boxes as ITEMs, but their uids were the same as the original box.  Also, many attributes in the kerb's record in the sfs were duplicated several times redundantly.  In hindsight, I think the number was equal to the number of times I tried to go back to flying the kerb after I had to ctrl-c to kill the program because flying him would hang the program.  I think each attempt somehow caused another 62 to be added to the save file, but am not sure

To be totally clear, I did *not* use the spawn feature.  I wouldn't know what to do with that many boxes

I'd say, the situation here is beyond repair. Could you please find the first save where it was working fins and start from there to repeat the problem? Once it happens, capture and share the log please (not from the player, the KSP.log one).

4 hours ago, IgorZ said:

I'd say, the situation here is beyond repair. Could you please find the first save where it was working fins and start from there to repeat the problem? Once it happens, capture and share the log please (not from the player, the KSP.log one).

I ended up editing the sfs file and changed the ORBIT info (and other related info) of the bill the kerb to be adjacent to the squad monolith.  His original orbit info was NaNs and solar orbit type stuff.  I will try to capture it if it happens again.  A very similar thing happened tonight but I was on a roll building a station and just went back to a previous save and moved forward.  I can say that every time a kerb was on EVA accessing a back pack, often with a gray instead of green hand when trying to grab popping in more and more frequently.  But these could just be side effects of something else affecting the kerb and pack.  It just be something related to system load on my linux asus predator with a mere 16G of ram, right?  You have to understand that I work hard, and play this game to have fun.  I don't mind debugging but there is a reason I stopped programming and started driving trucks for a living and it wasn't because I was no good at it.  It was because I got weary of being at the mercy of poor tools built on poor libraries running on flaky hardware and being held accountable for making it all work anyway with no control over those fundamental instabilities.  So I know the pain of all that and truly appreciate what you guys do, and so I feel bad turning over a hairball of a problem when 1) I can probably figure it out myself if it is that important to me, and 2) I want to make sure it is something that relates to KIS before I get you guys all tangled up.  

I'll put a wrapper around my start script that rotates the logs each time so even if I keep playing for awhile, the logs of the previous sessions will be around still.  And now that you've made a specific request, I will probably get the itch to try to make it happen on purpose so I can capture it for sure.  Every time it has happened in my game has been after a lot of detaching/reattaching stuff to and from a pack while on EVA, but again, I'm not sure that is the real problem as a lot of the play I've been doing lately simply involves a lot of eva with packs and attaching/reattaching.  Maybe if I was driving a rover around on minmus with no KIS stuff in sight it would happen too.  idk.  I'll write the wrapper script now and get the info to you pretty soon probably

4 hours ago, darthgently said:

It just be something related to system load on my linux asus predator with a mere 16G of ram, right?

Highly unlikely. KSP mods run in C#.NET sandbox. It works or it doesn't. There is no a middle state where it "works, but with bugs". In case of RAM is not enough, the game would simply crash. FYI, 16Gb is more than enough to run KSP. I've spent months playing on a system with only 16Gb onboard (today it's 32Gb).

I stopped programming and started driving trucks

:0.0: 20 years ago I stopped working as a driver in rideshare to start programming. However, we didn't have Uber or Lyft at the time. In the today's reality, I could be a Senior Driver III now :cool:

I'll put a wrapper around my start script that rotates the logs each time so even if I keep playing for awhile

Or, you can install KSPDev Logs, which already does it :wink: It won't capture the game initialization though.

And saying about the "NaN issue". I've been thru it before. In my experience, the reason is always a failure in the physics thread. TL;DR: KIS doesn't do much stuff in this thread. I'd suggest you have a mods conflict. Like this one. The legacy KIS is using hacks to have the parts created, it may have bad consequences in the edge cases. I gave up fighting with it. KISv2 is to address these issues. However, October is my best estimation for the official alpha testing start.

i love this mod, but would be amazing if there were some robotic parts that could detach and move/place parts without the need of a kerbal, and being able to carry less or more weight than a normal kerbal, and with worse or more range than a normal kerbal. (of course, one for the first probe research, one for mid-game and other one for end-game, each one better than the previous one)

I'd attach this into every Probe I launched onto the space.

Of course, this is just a suggestion of something I would love to see in this mod.

Another thing, is there any way to fix the kerbals floating away/control them while building in orbit? It's a bit annoying.

Great and a must-have mod

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just noticed there seems to be conflict with KIS Gigantor patch and Restock. The ReStock removes the whole mesh key and replaces it with MODEL{}, so when KIS goes looking for meshpath = mount, it finds nothing.

As a quick fix, I commented out the patch.

Log entry: [Part:largeSolarPanel (id=C4292985762)#Module:1] Cannot find mesh for path: mount

I've been away from the game for a while and am just starting to get back into it. I've noticed that the part that worked like a strut (i.e. you could place the two ends, then drag a strut between them) appears to be missing now. Was it removed or am I encountering a bug? Would love to have that functionality back. All I see are the KAS cable and pipe attachments.

On 9/15/2020 at 3:12 AM, Lathari said:

Hi,

Just noticed there seems to be conflict with KIS Gigantor patch and Restock. The ReStock removes the whole mesh key and replaces it with MODEL{}, so when KIS goes looking for meshpath = mount, it finds nothing.

As a quick fix, I commented out the patch.

Log entry: [Part:largeSolarPanel (id=C4292985762)#Module:1] Cannot find mesh for path: mount

Good catch! I've created a bug.

3 hours ago, Mitchz95 said:

I've been away from the game for a while and am just starting to get back into it. I've noticed that the part that worked like a strut (i.e. you could place the two ends, then drag a strut between them) appears to be missing now. Was it removed or am I encountering a bug? Would love to have that functionality back. All I see are the KAS cable and pipe attachments.

It was removed, but you can bring it back at your own risk (no official support is offered if it doesn't work).

Today I've made and launched my first space shuttle, and it's payload was a mobile laboratory.

But yeah, just a laboratory, I forgot about solar panels and antennas lmao

Now to give the shuttle an actual use I'm trying to rescue a contract Kerbal to then return to Kerbin and try to land on the runway

Edited by Neil Kermstrong

w7snkn.png

KSP:v1.10

KIS:v1.26

can you help help me?    TAT        

the TP3   is  bug,     big   bug!!!   and  all pistons included  too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After EVA, press h key to install, it will be like this

Edited by jiandie

On 9/20/2020 at 11:25 AM, jiandie said:

w7snkn.png

the TP3   is  bug,     big   bug!!!   and  all pistons included  too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I tested and could not reproduce this.  Can you post the KSP.log?  Share it to a file hosting site and post a link here.  It's in the main install directory of the game.

On 9/18/2020 at 3:16 PM, Neil Kermstrong said:

Today I've made and launched my first space shuttle, and it's payload was a mobile laboratory.

But yeah, just a laboratory, I forgot about solar panels and antennas lmao

Now to give the shuttle an actual use I'm trying to rescue a contract Kerbal to then return to Kerbin and try to land on the runway

Wait LMAO I just noticed I posted that in the wrong place haha

On 9/20/2020 at 9:25 AM, jiandie said:

w7snkn.png

I saw this exact behavior before. And I got it fixed. Can you reproduce it on a pristine game (only stock parts + KIS)?

• 1 month later...
On 6/25/2020 at 7:03 PM, Tonka Crash said:

Did you just install TweakScale? It shuts off stacking by default.  You can override this with a patch.  Check the KIS\settings.cfg file for a section on overrides for guidance.

It's been a while since I've last played KSP... although I'm having the same problem. I'm using TweakScale, yes, and I've checked settings.cfg file in Gamedata/KIS folder but I don't exactly know what to do there. Can you help me please?

Thanks!

Edited by adriangm44

On 11/3/2020 at 3:03 AM, adriangm44 said:

It's been a while since I've last played KSP... although I'm having the same problem. I'm using TweakScale, yes, and I've checked settings.cfg file in Gamedata/KIS folder but I don't exactly know what to do there. Can you help me please?

Thanks!

The simplest is to edit the settings.cfg file and find the following section.  Change "addWhatYouWantHere1" and "addWahtYouWantHere2"  to whatever part you want.  Add as many parts as you want, one line at a time. The problem is this will be overwritten everytime you update KIS.

StackableItemOverride
	{
		partName = addWhatYouWantHere1
		partName = addWhatYouWantHere2
	}

Or you create a patch.  Any file ending .cfg located under GameData works.  I have mine in "GameData\ZZZ_Personal_Patches\Mod_Patches\KIS-KAS_tweaks.cfg"

@KISConfig:FINAL // Only use FINAL for your personal patches 
				 // when you want them to run after everything else
{
    // KIS disables stacking if Tweakscale is installed. I limit use of Tweakscale to 
	// "simple" parts like structural pieces & fuel tanks. For me manufactured "tech"
	// pieces like solar panels and lights are a fixed size and should stack.
    //
	@StackableItemOverride
    {
		partName = KAS.CH1
		partName = KAS.JS1
		partName = KAS.PCB1
		partName = KAS.TB60
		partName = KAS.TJ1
		partName = KAS.TJ2
		partName = KAS.W1
		partName = KAS.W2
		partName = spotLight1
		partName = spotLight2
		partName = ladderRadial
		partName = W485_SufaceLight
		partName = W485_SurfaceOmniLight
		partName = W485_Suface4WayLight
		partName = solarPanels1
		partName = solarPanels2
		partName = solarPanels3
    }
}

On 8/31/2020 at 9:41 PM, Neil Kermstrong said:

i love this mod, but would be amazing if there were some robotic parts that could detach and move/place parts without the need of a kerbal, and being able to carry less or more weight than a normal kerbal, and with worse or more range than a normal kerbal. (of course, one for the first probe research, one for mid-game and other one for end-game, each one better than the previous one)

I'd attach this into every Probe I launched onto the space.

Of course, this is just a suggestion of something I would love to see in this mod.

Another thing, is there any way to fix the kerbals floating away/control them while building in orbit? It's a bit annoying.

Great and a must-have mod

I get quite a bit done with drones using strategically placed Clamp-O-Tron Jrs and the small grabber, but yeah, it would be nice to be able to attach things without having to be able to see the future enough to have put a docking port there.  I put all my big comm dishes on with docking ports so I can move them to other ships as needed for example.  I also put small/cheap RCS blocks on all assemblies from Mobile Science Labs on up even if the don't have cores and such.  When I move them around with my small tugs, the extra RCS blocks really help out.  I put clampotron jr ports on all those things mostly to have a way to get a tug on them easy

8 hours ago, jaunco325 said:

is there any way to effectively fix a brace connector, with this mod?

Do you mean a regular strut?  If so you could have a kerbal detach it and replace it with an EVA strut if you have one on hand or can get one delivered.  Regular struts cannot be fixed.  But I'm not sure I know what you mean

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.