[Minimum KSP version - 1.12] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) v1.29

IgorZ

1 minute ago, TBenz said:

Really? They showed several surface attachments in the the feature video.

Poor wording on my part, there does not appear to be a way to anchor a part to a planets surface with the new stock construction system. 

EDIT: For anyone too lazy to copy and paste, I have made a Q&D mod that you can just download.  Hopefully we will have official support from KIS soon! https://spacedock.info/mod/2592/Kerbal Inventory for All

Until (unless) KIS official supports the new 1.11 Inventory I made a small patch that duplicates any KIS inventory to stock 1.11 (yes I know it results in 2x the storage if both are used but I didn't want to remove the KIS one) 

You can add it to your own patches by putting it in to any .cfg file inside GameData.

Sizes are calculated automatically. Let me know of any improvements you come up with.

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleKISInventory],!MODULE[ModuleInventoryPart]]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleInventoryPart
        InventorySlots = #$../MODULE[ModuleKISInventory]/slotsX$
        @InventorySlots *= #$../MODULE[ModuleKISInventory]/slotsY$
        packedVolumeLimit = #$../MODULE[ModuleKISInventory]/maxVolume$ 
    }

}

Edited by Atlas Gaming

@IgorZ Not to nag or anything, but I was wondering what you have planned for this mod in the face of the recent 1.11 update. The stock game now seems to have most of the bases covered (it even has angle snap and the offset and rotate tools, allowing for much more precise construction), but it is missing a couple of features that I always found useful in KIS, namely the ability for kerbals to carry containers and multiple kerbals working together to move larger parts.

One one hand, having its features integrated into stock is one of the most dignified ways a mod can retire. On the other hand, it would be great to see KIS adapt to patch up a few of the missing features in the stock system. You're in charge here, so I'd be interested to hear what you want to do :)

6 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

@IgorZ Not to nag or anything, but I was wondering what you have planned for this mod in the face of the recent 1.11 update. The stock game now seems to have most of the bases covered (it even has angle snap and the offset and rotate tools, allowing for much more precise construction), but it is missing a couple of features that I always found useful in KIS, namely the ability for kerbals to carry containers and multiple kerbals working together to move larger parts.

One one hand, having its features integrated into stock is one of the most dignified ways a mod can retire. On the other hand, it would be great to see KIS adapt to patch up a few of the missing features in the stock system. You're in charge here, so I'd be interested to hear what you want to do :)

I'm still reviewing the latest changes. The holiday season doesn't let to focus on it though :)  In general my preferable approach would be integrating with the stock system to cover the missing features.

On 12/19/2020 at 6:53 PM, Atlas Gaming said:

Until (unless) KIS official supports the new 1.11 Inventory I made a small patch that duplicates any KIS inventory to stock 1.11 (yes I know it results in 2x the storage if both are used but I didn't want to remove the KIS one) 

That works great.  I tried it out on an old Home Grown Rockets pod, a couple of Nertea's cmd pods, one of RoverDude's and - bam - 6 slots of 200 L capacity.  Weird that it's always 6 slots and 200 L....

33 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

In general my preferable approach would be integrating with the stock system to cover the missing features.

What brought me back over here was the unpleasant realization that no mod parts can be stuffed in a Squad cargo container inventory slot.  I think one major step toward this would be a similar patch that automatically tags a part with ModuleCargoPart and calculates and assigns a value for packedVolume in every part that doesn't already have it. 

I'm assuming KIS already does this math in some fashion for any part, because I don't see any KIS parameters in mod parts other than storage space, when it's intended to be a KIS container.   I'd like to think another module could compare the volumes of parts in both inventory systems, add them up, and throw a flag if the total is going to be exceeded.  Throwing the flag at the Squad container may be tricky.  I'm assuming since KIS isn't adding its own volumes to other parts, it's maintaining either a database or doing each part volume in real time during a drag and drop.

I wish I knew how all this works (cue the "That's not how any of this works!" ad).  In the meantime, I guess I'm downloading KIS/KAS later....

Edited by KSPrynk

10 minutes ago, KSPrynk said:

What brought me back over here was the unpleasant realization that no mod parts can be stuffed in a Squad cargo container inventory slot

Yeah, the implementation of the storage itself disappointed me too. The limit for the stacks is another surprising thing. The old KIS has a reason to refuse stacking some parts (the part state is persisted per stack instead of per part).

14 minutes ago, KSPrynk said:

I think one major step toward this would be a similar patch that automatically tags a part with ModuleCargoPart and calculates and assigns a value for packedVolume in every part that doesn't already have it. 

It depends on the final approach of KIS integration. At this point I tend to think that the new KIS will be replacing the stock system while using some features of it (parts creation, aligning, etc.)

This may be better moved to Kerbal Inventory For All (KIFA) forum,

...but to answer your question as to why 6 slots and 200L, My feeling was the number of slot restrictions is silly. Why restrict how many items people bring, if there is spare volume. The 200L is based on the Mark 1 stock pod volume. I do calculate  sizes and volumes for all the KIS parts though. 

Interesting... I didn't realize that only stock parts go into stock inventory. I will see if I can tweak Kerbal Inventory For All mod today to  make other parts addable.  I'm assuming in the long run all mod parts will specify volume manually, now that its part of stock, but till then  -  can a quick fix.  

EDIT: Ok I've got modded parts now able to be put into stock inventory using KIFA. Volume calculation is not ideal, I'll leave up to MOD authors to update for better values. But for now almost everything can use stock inventory.

1 hour ago, KSPrynk said:

That works great.  I tried it out on an old Home Grown Rockets pod, a couple of Nertea's cmd pods, one of RoverDude's and - bam - 6 slots of 200 L capacity.  Weird that it's always 6 slots and 200 L

Edited by Atlas Gaming

1 hour ago, Atlas Gaming said:

I'm assuming in the long run all mod parts will specify volume manually, now that its part of stock, but till then  -  can a quick fix. 

I'd be curious how KIS does it now.  I'd like to think it was doing a simple box volume calculation.  MJ does something similar when it generates a keep-out zone on a craft for the automatic docking function.  And somehow the VAB knows how tall your craft is....

4 hours ago, KSPrynk said:

I'd be curious how KIS does it now

KIS uses the "default state" of the part to calculate its volume. In most cases it gives a good volume estimation, but in some edge cases an override was needed. Like with the drill parts. In the new stock inventory system every part has to have the volume definition. It puts more burden on the mods developers, but it makes the KIS life much easier :)

7 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

but it makes the KIS life much easier

Exactly! Rather than estimating and having people argue that 'you made that part way too big/small' it is now up to the part Devs to define dimensions, not just weight of the part. And remember it's FOLDED dimensions... so things like solar panels should be smaller than their weight would suggest, while truss pieces may be light, but they take up lots of liters :)

Edited by Atlas Gaming

8 hours ago, IgorZ said:

It depends on the final approach of KIS integration. At this point I tend to think that the new KIS will be replacing the stock system while using some features of it (parts creation, aligning, etc.)

One thing to consider is that a lot of other mods are going to be adding compatibility with the stock system and having KIS replace it could break stuff. I don't have any experience in modding but I feel like adding to the stock system rather than replacing it would work better.

2 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

One thing to consider is that a lot of other mods are going to be adding compatibility with the stock system and having KIS replace it could break stuff. I don't have any experience in modding but I feel like adding to the stock system rather than replacing it would work better.

Keep in mind the statement you quoted was from before 1.11 dropped.  I believe his intention is to rework KIS to build on the new stock system.  

The only real thing I miss from KIS is the ability to attach a part to the surface of a planet, but honestly that has such a niche use now that the parking brake mod generally can keep any base I have from kraken attacks. 

15 hours ago, IgorZ said:

Maybe a cheaper screwdriver for welding parts for career? (I don know if the stock laser-welding machine cost a lot as I haven't update KSP)

Or pausing the in-game time when attaching parts, so that I could attach the parts precisely without having the Kerbal/Ship drifting around.

1 hour ago, RandomKerbal said:

Maybe a cheaper screwdriver for welding parts for career? (I don know if the stock laser-welding machine cost a lot as I haven't update KSP)

Or pausing the in-game time when attaching parts, so that I could attach the parts precisely without having the Kerbal/Ship drifting around.

The laser welder doesn't cost anything, it's always available as long as your kerbal is an engineer.

13 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

It's a good point and of course I keep it in mind. At this point it's hard to say how much it will be "integration" vs "replacement". E.g. the stock inventory GUI on my personal taste is not good and barely useable. It works OK when you only have 2-3 parts, but I don't see how this system can be used to construct something really big (100+ parts). If I find a way to disable only the stock GUI while leaving the rest of the functionality working, then it can be a solution.

1 minute ago, IgorZ said:

It's a good point and of course I keep it in mind. At this point it's hard to say how much it will be "integration" vs "replacement". E.g. the stock inventory GUI on my personal taste is not good and barely useable. It works OK when you only have 2-3 parts, but I don't see how this system can be used to construct something really big (100+ parts). If I find a way to disable only the stock GUI while leaving the rest of the functionality working, then it can be a solution.

I dont understand why the stock gui is tied into the PAW.  It works fine, but it needs to be split out into its own popup or something.  And why is there no collapse header on part inventory space, which you can collapse the inventory space for the crew... 

28 minutes ago, Atlas Gaming said:

FYI I found the limit on the stock containers while working on KIFA and it is 30 parts, regardless of volume limit. Probably due to UI restrictions. Its fine on 4k monitor, but barely

My tests show that it's fine to have more items then there are available slots in GUI. Of course, these extra items won't be accessible via GUI, but at least they won't disappear from the save file. This is promising since it lets creating custom GUI on top of the stock inventory system.

Edited by IgorZ

1.27 (December 23rd, 2020):

• [Enhancement] Check for colliders when node attaching a part.
  • [Enhancement] Add KIS inventory to the stock inventory parts: SEQ-9 & SEQ-24.
  • [Enhancement] Allow the new stock modules to be stackable.
  • [Enhancement #376] The new stock ground lights won't align properly on deploy.
  • [Fix #374] Some stock science parts cannot be added into the KIS inventory.
  • [Fix #375] Make the dropped KIS parts visible to the stock inventory system.

At this point the only way to move parts between KIS and stock system is to drop it on the surface. I only had like 2 hours to work on it, so sorry - not all cases are covered. It's unlikely anything better will be done ion this year, but please feel free to report the issues and suggest reasonable small things. All the big things are welcome too, but they will go to KISv2.

CurseForge users: sorry, for now the service is bouncing me. If I have time till the end of the year to investigate what's wrong, I'll do. For now only GitHub and Spacedock sources are available.

Marry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone!

3 hours ago, IgorZ said:

1.27 (December 23rd, 2020):

• [Enhancement] Check for colliders when node attaching a part.

Does this fix the atom smashing issue that I face when attaching things from the Station Parts Extension Redux ? (basically the ends of the tubes have a changeable graphic for their handles which I suspect is the issue, work around is to drop the part first)

Merry Christmas

6 hours ago, IgorZ said:

At this point the only way to move parts between KIS and stock system is to drop it on the surface. I only had like 2 hours to work on it, so sorry - not all cases are covered. It's unlikely anything better will be done ion this year, but please feel free to report the issues and suggest reasonable small things. All the big things are welcome too, but they will go to KISv2.

thank you for this quick fix, and you absolutely don´t have to say "sorry" :) Merry Christmas :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.