[Minimum KSP version - 1.12] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) v1.29

IgorZ

5 hours ago, darthgently said:

Do you mean a regular strut?  If so you could have a kerbal detach it and replace it with an EVA strut if you have one on hand or can get one delivered.  Regular struts cannot be fixed.  But I'm not sure I know what you mean

I'm talking about this:

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/EAS-4_Strut_Connector

although I don't know what you mean by "EVA strut"

Edited by jaunco325

1 hour ago, jaunco325 said:

I'm talking about this:

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/EAS-4_Strut_Connector

although I don't know what you mean by "EVA strut"

No, you can't KAS fix a normal strut.  There is a mod called EVA Strut with a single part that is about the same thing as a normal strut but a Kerb can install, uninstall, reinstall it on EVA.  So I thought that might have been what you were referring to.  Actually, an Engineer can "detatch" a normal strut with a drill (maybe the wrench, not sure)  if it is in your way.  And on third thought, there is one other thing a Kerb could do to a normal strut and that is blow it up with K4 which is part of KIS/KAS (KIS pretty sure).  Make sure you get the blast radius right

Edited by darthgently

23 hours ago, LastStarDust said:

Hello! I am experiencing some misbehavior of KIS in an heavily modded save (about 100 mods). If you accept bug reports from non-vanilla games, I will produce all the logs and so on and so forth. Otherwise pretend I said nothing ...

You can post them, but there are no guarantees that we will see a problem.  It also helps to describe what's going wrong or even post a video of the problem.

5 hours ago, Tonka Crash said:

You can post them, but there are no guarantees that we will see a problem.  It also helps to describe what's going wrong or even post a video of the problem.

I think that the problem had been already reported here: https://github.com/ihsoft/KIS/issues/353

I have left a comment there just in case.

Edited by LastStarDust

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this has been asked, I can't really scan through 83 pages, my google searches have not been successful: I had a wrench in my inventory and was very frustrated to set up a whole mission, rendevous in orbit and get everything into position only to realize I need the screwdriver, not the wrench, and then to realize it's not in my parts list so I guess I need to research it! How do I unlock the screwdriver in career mode? I cannot for the life of me find it in any of the research nodes. Thanks :D

EDIT Ok I had a brainwave to search "inventory" in the research window, since "screwdriver" wasn't proffering results, and discovered it in the Advanced Electrics node, 160 science required! Feels a bit far in the tree, but anyway.

Edited by phraggers

On 11/20/2020 at 8:24 AM, phraggers said:

EDIT Ok I had a brainwave to search "inventory" in the research window, since "screwdriver" wasn't proffering results, and discovered it in the Advanced Electrics node, 160 science required! Feels a bit far in the tree, but anyway.

The rationale was that at the lower level missions what you really need is a solar panel patch, which the wrench does with no problems. The screwdriver is for assembling stations, it's really a next step in the carrier. However, there are edge-cases.

On 11/5/2020 at 1:41 AM, Tonka Crash said:

The simplest is to edit the settings.cfg file and find the following section.  Change "addWhatYouWantHere1" and "addWahtYouWantHere2"  to whatever part you want.  Add as many parts as you want, one line at a time. The problem is this will be overwritten everytime you update KIS.

StackableItemOverride
	{
		partName = addWhatYouWantHere1
		partName = addWhatYouWantHere2
	}

Or you create a patch.  Any file ending .cfg located under GameData works.  I have mine in "GameData\ZZZ_Personal_Patches\Mod_Patches\KIS-KAS_tweaks.cfg"

@KISConfig:FINAL // Only use FINAL for your personal patches 
				 // when you want them to run after everything else
{
    // KIS disables stacking if Tweakscale is installed. I limit use of Tweakscale to 
	// "simple" parts like structural pieces & fuel tanks. For me manufactured "tech"
	// pieces like solar panels and lights are a fixed size and should stack.
    //
	@StackableItemOverride
    {
		partName = KAS.CH1
		partName = KAS.JS1
		partName = KAS.PCB1
		partName = KAS.TB60
		partName = KAS.TJ1
		partName = KAS.TJ2
		partName = KAS.W1
		partName = KAS.W2
		partName = spotLight1
		partName = spotLight2
		partName = ladderRadial
		partName = W485_SufaceLight
		partName = W485_SurfaceOmniLight
		partName = W485_Suface4WayLight
		partName = solarPanels1
		partName = solarPanels2
		partName = solarPanels3
    }
}

Thank you! It worked with most of the parts I wrote into the patch, all of them but the KAS parts. It was copy pasted from the code you wrote here. Any thoughts?

37 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

@IgorZ KIS may be out of a job...

I hope not. Igor has been quite welcoming to migrating some of KIS' functionality over to utilizing stock modules in cases and KIS is still more 'feature complete/complex' than it seems the new 1.11 mechanics will introduce. Its always worth remembering, also, that Igor can iterate and develop at any rate whereas official updates and patches are slow and bugs can be slow to be resolved etc. That's where mods shine, they can develop and release rapidly if they want to.

Just now, Poodmund said:

I hope not. Igor has been quite welcoming to migrating some of KIS' functionality over to utilizing stock modules in cases and KIS is still more 'feature complete/complex' than it seems the new 1.11 mechanics will introduce. Its always worth remembering, also, that Igor can iterate and develop at any rate whereas official updates and patches are slow and bugs can be slow to be resolved etc. That's where mods shine, they can develop and release rapidly if they want to.

Agreed. Maybe my statement was a little premature :P

I hope KIS can adapt to improve the new stock system further. But it appears that the main feature of KIS - the ability to attach and detach parts on EVA - has mostly been superseded by the recent 1.11 announcement.

I have a suggestion: Maybe you can make KIS compatible with the "stock KIS",  maybe the "stock KIS" doesn't have feature such as the MK3 and other sizes containers, or they wouldn't have a cheaper(yeah, only in carreer or science) welding screwdriver, or maybe you could add some new features to KIS. Anyway, I prefer the mod KIS better, except for the lack of that cool high-tech laser welding machine.

I'm mostly curious how mods that use KIS as a dependency will adapt to the change. It's been a "must have" mod for so long, with so many things building off of it, that this change may interfere/break things for a while. I know I build a lot of crafts with KIS in mind, a selection of spare parts and utility pieces carried on board using things like OSE workshop for on-site building and expansion of both surface and orbital stations so this change, whilst not groundbreaking in terms of gameplay (at least modded gameplay), IS major for mod interaction reasons. 

The future seems interesting. 

Edited by Dep_Opt

Speaking about KSP 1.11. At this point there are not to much details about how they extend the inventory system. Let's wait till the 1.11 is released. When KSP starts providing the full KIS functionality would be my best day! It would mean I'll have more time to focus on the other mods :) 

22 hours ago, IgorZ said:

Speaking about KSP 1.11. At this point there are not to much details about how they extend the inventory system. Let's wait till the 1.11 is released. When KSP starts providing the full KIS functionality would be my best day! It would mean I'll have more time to focus on the other mods :) 

which means RIP KIS:(

2 hours ago, RandomKerbal said:

which means RIP KIS:(

I disagree. If whole KIS functionality becomes stock, I'd say it's "long live KIS" :) 

It's a proven fact: people want constructing things in EVA! And I'd love to see Squad team addressing it.

Its not the first time they have pulled a mods features into the stock game, I think its great.  A feature in stock is much easier for mod makers to build on, instead of having multiple interdependent mods that each have to be updated when a new version releases. 

It looks to me like the update will let you build anything in the field, not restricted to only the parts you brought in a container.  So it might actually replace KIS and OSE?  Can't wait to see more details. 

It looks like the stock feature will replicate what KIS does for small-ish parts, but it's less clear whether it'll be usable for large ones.  KIS allows multiple kerbals to work together to lift heavy things, and I've assembled surface bases that way (using MKS Ranger parts).  I'm hoping stock has the same capability.

@IgorZ, weren't you already working on a rewrite that integrates better with the stock inventory system?  I hope the 1.11 news doesn't mean you've wasted your time on that.  :/

7 hours ago, Wyzard said:

@IgorZ, weren't you already working on a rewrite that integrates better with the stock inventory system?  I hope the 1.11 news doesn't mean you've wasted your time on that.  :/

Yeah, I'm working on a new version. It's hard to say how this patch will or will not affect it. We'll need to wait till the release. When Squad released the ground experiments, it sounded like a stock replacement of KIS, but it was not.

Btw, in scope of theta version I came up to an idea that KISv2 should not be just a way to bring staff in the backpack. Many people are enjoying of just building bases and stations, without actually delivering parts from Kerbin. So, why not to make kind of "editor in space" for this game play style?

On 11/28/2020 at 11:10 AM, IgorZ said:

Speaking about KSP 1.11. At this point there are not to much details about how they extend the inventory system. Let's wait till the 1.11 is released.

Yes, totally agree. SQUAD can make all kind of things wrong with this system. Like unable to attach while in seat, on ladder, limited number of parts will be attachable, limited weight (not enhanced by additional kerbals), etc.

And may be no fun pack?..

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.