[Minimum KSP version - 1.12] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) v1.29

IgorZ

33 minutes ago, Entropian said:

Out of curiosity, why is the speaker set called "Ghetto Blaster?"  It's ragtime, not ghetto!  Ragtime is totally different!  :D

I love this mod.  Thanks for keeping it going.

To be fair, it probably shouldn't be called that in the first place. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boombox is the proper term for it. The Wikipedia article explains why it's called a ghetto blaster, and it should be pretty obvious why that's not necessarily a good thing. :D

(I used to have a boombox, and it was great and loud and awesome)

@IgorZ - consider this a feature request I guess. :D

4 hours ago, Entropian said:

Out of curiosity, why is the speaker set called "Ghetto Blaster?"  It's ragtime, not ghetto!  Ragtime is totally different!  :D

I love this mod.  Thanks for keeping it going.

It's a legacy name from the original KIS, which was released many years ago. I don't mind changing it to something else. In fact, in RU localization it's called "Tapeless recorder" (in contrary to "tape recorder"). We may choose something similar for EN and other localizations. Except maybe Chinese, where it's already not a "ghetto blaster" (according to Google translate).

Just now, Gfurst said:

Hey all, excuse my lack of clue, but how are you suppose to add parts to containers? Do the containers work with the new stock deployable parts?

I don't know about the latter, but to add, you just open the container and drag 'n' drop.

It probably took me longer than it should have to figure this out, back in the day. :V

53 minutes ago, etmoonshade said:

I don't know about the latter, but to add, you just open the container and drag 'n' drop.

It probably took me longer than it should have to figure this out, back in the day. :V

Thanks, ok then something is wrong because I can't them inside, the object just sticks around flowing without being attached to the vessel (and not in the container inventory either).

screenshot-2020-08-08-19-49-32.jpg

Here is a bit of an example, is this a known issue or just a old version thing?

Also a shame it doesn't work with the stock new stuff, it makes me wonder what is the actual usefulness of these items, do they have any use?

36 minutes ago, Gfurst said:

Here is a bit of an example, is this a known issue or just a old version thing?

I'm not sure what you are trying to show.  From what I see you've attached the smallest available container to the side of your craft and opened it's inventory. The KIS part you are using was just added in the latest release. 

Also a shame it doesn't work with the stock new stuff, it makes me wonder what is the actual usefulness of these items, do they have any use?

Plenty of us find KIS useful.  It existed well before the stock system and if anything the stock system is much less useful than KIS

https://github.com/ihsoft/KIS/blob/master/User Guide.pdf

3 minutes ago, Tonka Crash said:

I'm not sure what you are trying to show.  From what I see you've attached the smallest available container to the side of your craft and opened it's inventory. The KIS part you are using was just added in the latest release. 

Plenty of us find KIS useful.  It existed well before the stock system and if anything the stock system is much less useful than KIS.

Can you see that red shade right over where the locker is? Well that was supposed to be me placing the wench part into the locker, it just goes right through it, eg, not into it. That's why I asked earlier if there is something else I have to do.

I'll take a look in the user guide tomorrow, however most of the functionality seems to come from other mod parts, like the attachment mod, or universal storage carrying over wedges, but the extra EVA jetpack is pretty cool indeed.

18 minutes ago, Gfurst said:

Can you see that red shade right over where the locker is? Well that was supposed to be me placing the wench part into the locker, it just goes right through it, eg, not into it. That's why I asked earlier if there is something else I have to do.

Drag the part into one of the squares of the opened window, not onto the part itself?

And yes, definitely read the user guide. Lots of good info in there.

Edit: Also, DRAG AND DROP. The fact that you've got a part floating means that you clicked and dropped. :D

Edited by etmoonshade

9 hours ago, etmoonshade said:

Edit: Also, DRAG AND DROP. The fact that you've got a part floating means that you clicked and dropped. :D

AH YES, that must be it, just read the manual too, seems like there are plenty more parts that you can put in containers instead of just the ones shown in that category. But anyway, does the beer, boombox, book, serve any purpose besides being fun?

Just now, Gfurst said:

AH YES, that must be it, just read the manual too, seems like there are plenty more parts that you can put in containers instead of just the ones shown in that category. But anyway, does the beer, boombox, book, serve any purpose besides being fun?

You can put ANYTHING in a container, as far as I can tell, and KIS is reasonably good at keeping the state of weird parts put in the container (e.g. procedural parts) although they kind of "expand" once you drop them - need to be careful about that.

Get a big enough container, and you can pack an entire colony in it - reactors, bases, hubs, connectors, radiators, science-y stuff, you name it. Tweak the KIS config, and you can do it all with one Kerbal too (I hate having to run groups of Kerbals around to move stuff over 1t)

@KISConfig:NEEDS[KIS]:FINAL
{
	@EvaPickup
	{
		%maxDistance = 1000
		%grabMaxMass = 10000
	}
}

Pretty much lets me move anything, anywhere. Combine with my container that holds something like 38 megaliters, and you can get by with sending a single container. Probably cheaty, but hey, as long as you don't brag...

53 minutes ago, Gfurst said:

But anyway, does the beer, boombox, book, serve any purpose besides being fun?

No. There is a file in the root directory of KIS remove_fun_part_patch.txt.  Rename it so it ends .cfg and these parts disappear.  I never include them as they are just clutter in the parts list to me.

I'm running KSP 1.10.1 and KIS 1.26 (and KAS 1.7).  Could someone help me understand strutting spacecraft on EVA?

I've attached the strut to the rocket.  But it's just one end.  I thought that by right-clicking on the strut, I could then open a context menu that would let me take out the other end and attach it somewhere.  Unfortunately, I only get the usual context menu (with entries like "Aim Camera").

Do I also need to be <G>rabbing or something?  (It's taken me an embarrassingly long time to get the hang of that for just attaching stuff.)

Also, it appears that a Kerbal can't carry a strut and equip an electric screwdriver simultaneously.  Can a Kerbal carry an attachment system that will let him/her bolt a bracket to the side of the rocket so that we can at least carry containers to where we need them?

It really seems that this would be an interesting "instance case" to add to the manual -- a sort of step-by-step guide example of using KIS that shows the steps you'd go through to strut two stages together on EVA.  (Of course, I don't have the talent to add such a thing to the manual myself -- it's really quite nice, and I don't have any idea how much difficulty or time is involved -- so take it as a simple suggestion; feel free to take it or leave it.)

Thanks for helping me understand this system.  I'm excited at the potential of KIS, but I only have time to play with it in spurts and starts.  Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

1 hour ago, Nikolai said:

I'm running KSP 1.10.1 and KIS 1.26 (and KAS 1.7).  Could someone help me understand strutting spacecraft on EVA?

I've attached the strut to the rocket.  But it's just one end.  I thought that by right-clicking on the strut, I could then open a context menu that would let me take out the other end and attach it somewhere.  Unfortunately, I only get the usual context menu (with entries like "Aim Camera").

Do I also need to be <G>rabbing or something?  (It's taken me an embarrassingly long time to get the hang of that for just attaching stuff.)

You need a KAS JS-1 socket to plug the strut into. If you are going to use struts a lot, you might be interested in longer ones.

Also, it appears that a Kerbal can't carry a strut and equip an electric screwdriver simultaneously.  Can a Kerbal carry an attachment system that will let him/her bolt a bracket to the side of the rocket so that we can at least carry containers to where we need them?

A Kerbal can carry whatever fits in their inventory.  You can equip a screwdriver at the same time as you carry stuff.  There is also the SC-62 Container that the Kerbal can equip as a backback to increase his capacity and a mount that can be to secure a container.

It really seems that this would be an interesting "instance case" to add to the manual -- a sort of step-by-step guide example of using KIS that shows the steps you'd go through to strut two stages together on EVA.  (Of course, I don't have the talent to add such a thing to the manual myself -- it's really quite nice, and I don't have any idea how much difficulty or time is involved -- so take it as a simple suggestion; feel free to take it or leave it.)

Thanks for helping me understand this system.  I'm excited at the potential of KIS, but I only have time to play with it in spurts and starts.  Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

Go ahead and put together tutorials, upload them to youtube and share them in the appropriate thread. It helps to understand which parts belong to which mod.  Attaching the strut/hose/winch to a socket is KAS and has zero to do with KIS, it doesn't even require an engineer or tools.  You can add struts and sockets to craft in the VAB and connect them together once in orbit without ever needing KIS. Attaching a part to vessel while on EVA is a KIS feature and requires tools and an engineer.

30 minutes ago, Tonka Crash said:

You need a KAS JS-1 socket to plug the strut into.

Those look like telescopic joints, not struts.  Do they replace struts?  Are regular struts not the sort of thing that Kerbals can attach on EVA?

21 minutes ago, Nikolai said:

Those look like telescopic joints, not struts.  Do they replace struts?  Are regular struts not the sort of thing that Kerbals can attach on EVA?

These are the struts in KASKIS does not include any.  So are you having issues with struts from some other mod?

3 minutes ago, Tonka Crash said:

So are you having issues with struts from some other mod?

No... I was just under the impression for some reason that KIS allowed Kerbals to attach regular struts.  As I think about it, I don't know where I got that impression.

Thanks for your help, though.  I'll see if I can jury-rig what I want with some TJ-1 fixed telescopic joints and joint sockets.  :)

So I've been getting into it, I had quite a bit of stuttering, but that may due to a different mod.

Its a shame you can't place the deployable experiments directly, but apparently you can put them in a stock container, and then the container part into a KIS container, though it didn't quite work, I'm guessing "here be krakens".

screenshot-2020-08-09-12-13-12.jpg

7 hours ago, Gfurst said:

Its a shame you can't place the deployable experiments directly, but apparently you can put them in a stock container, and then the container part into a KIS container, though it didn't quite work, I'm guessing "here be krakens".

The ground experiment parts don't play well when being pulled out of a regular KIS container. Trust me, I've spent enough time trying to solve it before giving up. I bet you'd not want to bring an experiment part in a KIS container to Mun, and end up with a non-functioning experiment. So, for now the stock game inventories and KIS inventories are separate. However, there is a converge point: you can put stock game inventory into KIS inventory.

In KISv2 it will be much more clear. Alas, this effort is being affected by the hot season in the company I'm working for: in August-September we launch a lot of features for the end of the year holidays. I planned to launch a KISv2 alpha test a month ago, and haven't succeeded on this plan :( 

10 hours ago, IgorZ said:

So, for now the stock game inventories and KIS inventories are separate. However, there is a converge point: you can put stock game inventory into KIS inventory.

This is what I tried to do in the pic before, the experiment is jus hovering, however I'm not sure how they're supposed to be used either way, could be due to a different issue. But interesting to know you're planning for version, how is that gonna be like?

On 8/9/2020 at 2:20 PM, Tonka Crash said:

You need a KAS JS-1 socket to plug the strut into. If you are going to use struts a lot, you might be interested in longer ones.

Those longer ones are brilliant!  Where (in which file) do the patches you've created go?  (I'm not familiar with how mods are structured, obviously.)

26 minutes ago, Nikolai said:

Those longer ones are brilliant!  Where (in which file) do the patches you've created go?  (I'm not familiar with how mods are structured, obviously.)

Just put them in a text file that ends .cfg anyplace under GameData.  I have mine in GameData\ZZZ_PersonalPatches\KIS-tweaks.cfg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.