[Minimum KSP version - 1.12] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) v1.29

IgorZ

19 hours ago, MikeO89 said:

Can I use this mod to fix it (using version 1.3.1)? I figure I'm probably not the first to do this (doesn't make me feel any better though). If it can be done, can I get some details for a dummy on how to do it?

Fixing broken stuff on orbit is the main purpose of this mod to exist. So, yes - you can do it. If you need a version for KSP 1.3 you should go to the curse page, and choose the latest version that is compatible with 1.3. The latest version of KIS is not compatible with the older game versions, it will only work in 1.4.

Well holy moly, I tried to fix a backwards docking port on my space station and it was a mitigated disaster. The docking port in question was a clamp-o-tron Sr. After sending up a ship with KIS container and finally managing to equip a kerbal engineer, as far as I got was finally trying to attach the screw driver to the docking port and then a message saying too heavy bring more kerbies. It's going to take a better man than me to figure out how to do this, I'm at my wits end. I had such trouble controlling kerbie around the space station (for the life of me I couldn't get him to grab on to or stay put at the docking port) and finally managed to send him crashing straight into a big ol solar array at the end of the space station smashing it to bits. I'm so frustrated right now I think I'm going to go chew on a few nails to calm down.

Edited by MikeO89

I use Tweakable Everything to throttle back my Kerbals' EVA packs. I usually run it at 10-15% of full power, and it works fantastically well. Very precise, and I can bring the Kerbal to a dead stop relative to the ship or station and do fairly precise work. Just make sure you shut down the EVA pack before dragging stuff around... otherwise you'll tumble everywhere.

DIfferent topic altogether... I noticed that the new suits provided by Making History have 0.1L inventory space. Is this intentional, or an oversight/glitch/bug?

57 minutes ago, MikeO89 said:

Well holy moly, I tried to fix a backwards docking port on my space station and it was a mitigated disaster. The docking port in question was a clamp-o-tron Sr. After sending up a ship with KIS container and finally managing to equip a kerbal engineer, as far as I got was finally trying to attach the screw driver to the docking port and then a message saying too heavy bring more kerbies. It's going to take a better man than me to figure out how to do this, I'm at my wits end. I had such trouble controlling kerbie around the space station (for the life of me I couldn't get him to grab on to or stay put at the docking port) and finally managed to send him crashing straight into a big ol solar array at the end of the space station smashing it to bits. I'm so frustrated right now I think I'm going to go chew on a few nails to calm down.

Yeah, that's a big problem with moving big parts about in space--keeping the needed number of Kerbals close enough is quite problematic unless they can sit on a ladder.

It's also a lot safer to fold things like solar panels during EVA and docking maneuvers.

1 hour ago, MikeO89 said:

I'm so frustrated right now I think I'm going to go chew on a few nails to calm down.

Or you can adjust value of the "grabMaxMass" field in the settings.

1 hour ago, MaverickSawyer said:

I noticed that the new suits provided by Making History have 0.1L inventory space. Is this intentional, or an oversight/glitch/bug?

Is it a new DLC for KSP? If so, then it's just untested behavior :) I bought this DLC only today and didn't have a chance to test.

Well &*($!@)(>!?)(#$**((* success !!!!!!!!!!   Damn Gina if I didn't finally do it. Didn't want to give up so I pulled up my big boy britches and tried it again. I'm not the best at flying kerbals and this took me quite some time. I kept losing the docking port and  it kept flying off in space. I would go grab it away from the space station as it was floating away but then couldn't move after I grabbed it.  Either that or set it down not seating right. Those fine adjustments about killed me. Tried umpteen quicksaves before I finally flipped it and got it in the correct position. Man I hope I don't have to do that again but it's good to know I can.

Well I spoke too soon. I went back to admire my work only to see the docking port floating in space. I can fly to it to grab it but then can't move with it.

Edited by MikeO89

2 hours ago, MikeO89 said:

Well I spoke too soon. I went back to admire my work only to see the docking port floating in space. I can fly to it to grab it but then can't move with it.

It's because you've dropped it instead of attaching. A pretty common mistake for the KIS newbies. To attach the part you have to have a screwdriver equipped, and press "X" (or "H") while dragging the part. Take some attention to the hints that show near to the mouse cursor, they will give you a clue if you dropping a part or attaching it.

Also, a hint. You can drop a part near to the kerbal, and it will stay instead of flying in a random direction. Simply drag the part, point the mouse on the kerbal and release the part.

I finally got it. I could tell it was attached this time cause I heard the Kaplunk docking sound when it attached. I had to edit the distance and volume of inventory to get the clamp-0-tron Sr in it, and then send up another ship with the stuff. If I wouldn't have increased the distance to be able to attach, I would still be in the game trying to do it and pulling my hair out. I'm just not precise enough with the kerbies in eva, little suckers just won't stay still. One thing I could not do. I could put the docking port in the inventory to take with me to the missing docking port location but if the docking port got away from me and I had to go a distance to grab it, I then could not put it back in the inventory so I could travel back to the location with it. I would grab it, drag it to an inventory slot and nothing would happen. Tried every button I could think of and it just wouldn't put it back in the inventory. If the docking port got away from me, my only option was to quick load back.

Edited by MikeO89

1 minute ago, MikeO89 said:

Tried every button I could think of and it just wouldn't put it back in the inventory. If the docking port got away from me, my only option to quick load back.

I would suggest you reading the manual and playing with small parts on the launch pad. You may get angry in space, OR you can behave as a good kerbal-engineer and get some lessons on the ground :) 

Seems I might be trying your patience. Sorry about that, I'm trying hard over here. For what's it's worth I did read the manual (more than once).  I could put other stuff back in the inventory during an eva, just not the docking port. I could take it from container to inventory during an eva. Once it was in space though, I could not figure out how to put it back in.

Edited by MikeO89

4 minutes ago, MikeO89 said:

Once it was in space though, I could not figure out how to put it back in.

It's hard for me to see the difference from the other places. If you could make a short video, demonstrating your efforts, it would make the picture clear.

Something screwy is going on with your mod lately! My kerbonauts once again have 1l of inventory space, so I decided to reinstall this mod, this time through ckan; they still have 1l inventory space, and now their inventory has more spaces then they should have!

1 hour ago, mr. engino said:

Something screwy is going on with your mod lately! My kerbonauts once again have 1l of inventory space, so I decided to reinstall this mod, this time through ckan; they still have 1l inventory space, and now their inventory has more spaces then they should have!

You running the DLC? If so, is it for both suit types, or just the new suit?

Not an incompatibility, per se, but it's not been properly tested with it. I brought up the point a few posts back that at least the new suits lack inventory space at present. I haven't checked to see if that is true of the regular ones as well.

7 minutes ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Not an incompatibility, per se, but it's not been properly tested with it. I brought up the point a few posts back that at least the new suits lack inventory space at present. I haven't checked to see if that is true of the regular ones as well.

Just tested, it is indeed the new suits.

10 hours ago, Sebra said:

Is it possible to untie Parachute from third level and tie it to KIS item?

Would you mind to give a bit more details? What is the "third level" and what is the name of the part?

Third level as in 3 stars. And it's not a part, but a module on the KerbalEVA* (note, there are now four KerbalEVA parts).

However, the experience level test is hard-coded and thus will take some magic to override.

1 hour ago, IgorZ said:

Would you mind to give a bit more details? What is the "third level" and what is the name of the part?

Yes. Third experience level Kerbonauts can use parachutes now. Even can repack it. Models is also changed.

Would it interfere with KIS? Would it interfere with EVA refueler, placed in the same position on the backpack?

In my opinion all Kerbonauts should get chute on third level of Complex building. Old round chute. And only experienced and properly levelled Kerbonauts should get modern Paraplanes like they have now.

But that is my opinion only.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.