[Minimum KSP version - 1.12] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) v1.29

IgorZ

1 hour ago, Krakatoa said:

Well avast, cause at first it sounded like me at first when I didn't get how to do all the things. I'll say Minmus gives me issues whenever I try to attach things to it. I'll be watching the thread as well to see if anyone else has an idea to help.

Soz, my sleepless head of last night produced a riddle instead of a normal post) That's actually the case - I've never constructed surface outposts before. So I don't know exactly how are these grounding parts supposed to work. Thought, they'd be somewhat similar to launch stability enhancers - whatever's attached, it goes nowhere even the God tries to rip it off the ground.

Say comrade, on other celestials than Minmus, have you ever managed to firmly ground any massive parts by attaching them to pylons directly? I noticed they work better if you attach parts via ports and pipes - the structure doesn't get flipped by a single kerbal anymore.

Edited by Adov
typo

9 hours ago, Adov said:

Soz, my sleepless head of last night produced a riddle instead of a normal post) That's actually the case - I've never constructed surface outposts before. So I don't know exactly how are these grounding parts supposed to work. Thought, they'd be somewhat similar to launch stability enhancers - whatever's attached, it goes nowhere even the God tries to rip it off the ground.

Say comrade, on other celestials than Minmus, have you ever managed to firmly ground any massive parts by attaching them to pylons directly? I noticed they work better if you attach parts via ports and pipes - the structure doesn't get flipped by a single kerbal anymore.

Most of my stations are designed to stay grounded fairly well, the small gravity of Minmus just allows things to slide too easily. I don't use ground pylons much, but the couple times I have, I attach my base to it with a pipe, whether it's right or not. The pylons attach to the ground like they are supposed to, though, so that's why I'm unsure of what's causing your issue. I attached a KPBS base to a ground pylon on Minmus and it krakened in a most spectacular manner.

A question about stackability:

Is there a particular reason why the KAS connector port is not stackable? I can't seem to think of one, but I decided to ask before writing a patch making it so, just in case it will bring the kraken on me or something.

On 7/2/2017 at 8:30 PM, Adov said:

Yep. Model E-SD80 to be precise. As you can see on the screenshot Bill has it equipped and it says 'detach from the ground' when I hover the cursor over the pylon while holding 'H'. That kind of suggests that it's attached. What I was trying to say is that the same result could be achieved if Jeb or anyone else would be attaching the pylon with bare hands.

Can you make a vido to demonstrate it? In my tries it works as expected, and you cannot attach or detach anything without a tool.

On 7/3/2017 at 9:17 AM, Mihara said:

A question about stackability:

Is there a particular reason why the KAS connector port is not stackable? I can't seem to think of one, but I decided to ask before writing a patch making it so, just in case it will bring the kraken on me or something.

The connector is designed to be stackable, but if you have a mod that adds a new module into it then this will prevent the stackability. KOS used to cause it but, afaik, they have fixed it. However, there are many other mods that add own modules to a lot of existing parts, and unless they do a special patching of the KIS config, the modified parts will become non-stackable.

On 7/4/2017 at 3:50 AM, KerbMav said:

Is there a reason for three different tools if one of them (at least to my knowledge/experience) works for everything?

Electrical screwdriver and wrench are slightly different: wrench can only deal with the surface attachments. Once you've researched the both tools and evolved enough to not bother about extra cost and mass, your best choice is, indeed, the screwdriver. Also, the third-party mods may introduce own tools that do the same but look differently (e.g. Surface Experiment Pack mod). In such cases the new tools are introduced for the sake of different models.

On 06.07.2017 at 5:48 AM, IgorZ said:

Can you make a video to demonstrate it? In my tries it works as expected, and you cannot attach or detach anything without a tool.

Here you go. In the beginning it shows how anyone could attach a pylon with bare hands, then it demonstates what happens when it's attached in this manner and in the end - what happens when it's attached properly with a screwdriver.

3 hours ago, Adov said:

Here you go. In the beginning it shows how anyone could attach a pylon with bare hands, then it demonstates what happens when it's attached in this manner and in the end - what happens when it's attached properly with a screwdriver.

Thanks. Now I get the "problem":

1. It's not a "pylon", it's a "concrete base". The pylon is a KAS part, while the base is a KIS part. Not a big difference in this case, just FYI :)
  2. The both parts intentionally allow attaching to the surface without a tool. My bad, I've missed the point that you were using "H" key. In my test I was using "X" key, which is "use the equipped tool" one. Sure enough, you cannot activate a tool which is not equipped.
  3. The base does actually attach to the surface (as well as the pylon). You've tried to smash it several times before succeeded. That's because in the previous attempts you didn't have enough momentum. The surface joint is not indefinitely strong, it does have a force limit. Once you go over the limit, the joint breaks. If you open a debug log after, you would see an info message saying there was a physical joint destructed.

45 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

Thanks. Now I get the "problem":

1. It's not a "pylon", it's a "concrete base". The pylon is a KAS part, while the base is a KIS part. Not a big difference in this case, just FYI :)
  2. The both parts intentionally allow attaching to the surface without a tool. My bad, I've missed the point that you were using "H" key. In my test I was using "X" key, which is "use the equipped tool" one. Sure enough, you cannot activate a tool which is not equipped.
  3. The base does actually attach to the surface (as well as the pylon). You've tried to smash it several times before succeeded. That's because in the previous attempts you didn't have enough momentum. The surface joint is not indefinitely strong, it does have a force limit. Once you go over the limit, the joint breaks. If you open a debug log after, you would see an info message saying there was a physical joint destructed.

Thanks for looking into it. I realized it might actually be working as intended, when I tried using pipes. I should have expected my structures to be kinda volatile under Minmus gravity:)

1 hour ago, Sergio22 said:
    • All my kerbals have  volume limit of 1.00L, meaning I cant carry anything useful.. not even the user manual! How do I fix this??

Open the settings file in the KIS folder, change the value to 300 (former default), or like me, to 5000...:)

On 13.10.2016 at 6:15 AM, IgorZ said:

IMPORTANT! Dependency mods

KIS requires some mod dependencies:

Note. When installing via CKAN these mods get deployed automatically.

Main features

• Standalone (KAS and ModuleManager is not needed).

Sorry for nitpicking but i felt like i should point out this

• All my kerbals have  volume limit of 1.00L, meaning I cant carry anything useful.. not even the user manual! How do I fix this??

I feel like I've seen someone with that problem before, and it ended up being an install issue. Aspects worked because they were just configs, but important other things didn't.  Make sure you don't have nested GameData folders, and let us know KSP version, Module Manager version, and KIS version.

2 hours ago, obijan999 said:

Sorry for nitpicking but i felt like i should point out this

Thanks! Fixed.

3 hours ago, Sergio22 said:

As @Krakatoa has correctly pointed out, this is likely an installation problem. Please, double check the installation instructions in the OP, and ensure you did everything right. If everything looks good but still no success, then capture the "KSP.log" file from the game's folder and share it here.

23 hours ago, Krakatoa said:

I feel like I've seen someone with that problem before, and it ended up being an install issue. Aspects worked because they were just configs, but important other things didn't.  Make sure you don't have nested GameData folders, and let us know KSP version, Module Manager version, and KIS version.

I reset KIS using the instructions, but nothing happened, KSP version is 1.3, Module Manager version is 2.8.0, KIS version is 1.5.0

Edited by Sergio22

21 hours ago, IgorZ said:

Thanks! Fixed.

As @Krakatoa has correctly pointed out, this is likely an installation problem. Please, double check the installation instructions in the OP, and ensure you did everything right. If everything looks good but still no success, then capture the "KSP.log" file from the game's folder and share it here.

Where is this file what folder??

14 minutes ago, Sergio22 said:

I reset KIS using the instructions, but nothing happened, KSP version is 1.3, Module Manager version is 2.8.0, KIS version is 1.5.0

Update Module manager to 2.8.1 and delete all four module manager caches below, restart the game and see what happens...

Where is this file what folder??

When you download the ZIP for KIS and open it, it contains a GameData folder, in that GameData folder is another folder named KIS, you want to drag that folder to your install's GameData folder and it will work. End result should be KerbalSpaceProgram -> GameData -> KIS. It definitely works when they are there.

11 hours ago, Krakatoa said:

When you download the ZIP for KIS and open it, it contains a GameData folder, in that GameData folder is another folder named KIS, you want to drag that folder to your install's GameData folder and it will work. End result should be KerbalSpaceProgram -> GameData -> KIS. It definitely works when they are there.

I did this, but kerbals inventory doesn't open and box doesn't open using kerbals in eva

I did this, but kerbals inventory doesn't open and box doesn't open using kerbals in eva

Could you, please, provide the "KSP.log" file? It's the only way to troubleshoot the issue.

Ah, sorry, noticed your question. You need to find the folder where the game is installed. In Windows it's usually something like this:

O:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program

The drive letter, of course, can be different. In this folder there is a file named "KSP.log". You may not see it if you use Explorer in a default mode since it doesn't show the files extensions. What you need to do is to go to Explorer's menu "View" and check "File name extensions" checkbox. This will reveal the extensions, and you'll be able to find the file requested.

Edited by IgorZ

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.