[Minimum KSP version - 1.12] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) v1.29

IgorZ

1 minute ago, Tonka Crash said:

I customize the crap out of my install too (last time I counted it was around 10,000 lines of my own patches). I just keep most of my customization in my own patch tree GameData\ZZZ_Personal_Patches instead of editing mods directly. I got tired of merging updates with customizations. I also backup my entire game tree before running CKAN installs and use Beyond Compare to look for differences between the old install and newly updated one.

I assume you mean with MM configs/patches? 2 years of attempting to understand MM and I still can't write a MM patch to save my life, I've never been able to understand all the syntax MM needs to make things work and there are too many holes in the only wiki I've found.

1 minute ago, vardicd said:

I assume you mean with MM configs/patches? 2 years of attempting to understand MM and I still can't write a MM patch to save my life, I've never been able to understand all the syntax MM needs to make things work and there are too many holes in the only wiki I've found.

Yep, MM patches. It's really not that hard and I'm still have to look up syntax all the time for weird things like doing math in a patch. Pretty much anything in a .cfg file from a mod can be "fixed" with a patch. When I discovered that fact I was done editing .cfg files in mods and would rather write my own patches saved in a directory that won't be trashed on updates.

2 minutes ago, Tonka Crash said:

Yep, MM patches. It's really not that hard and I'm still have to look up syntax all the time for weird things like doing math in a patch. Pretty much anything in a .cfg file from a mod can be "fixed" with a patch. When I discovered that fact I was done editing .cfg files in mods and would rather write my own patches saved in a directory that won't be trashed on updates.

Oh trust me, I'd love to not have to redo them manually every time, but as I mentioned, I've been putzing around with MM for about 2 years now and can't make even the simplest configs work. or I get one to work, through shear dumb luck, but then the next patch i try and write will break the first one, and after 2 years of trying I reached the conclusion it's just a whole lot less effort for me to do the configs manually by hand, each update, in the mod itself. which is why i'll skip 2 3 or even 4 updates at a time unless something major gets patched or changed.

2 minutes ago, vardicd said:

Oh trust me, I'd love to not have to redo them manually every time, but as I mentioned, I've been putzing around with MM for about 2 years now and can't make even the simplest configs work. or I get one to work, through shear dumb luck, but then the next patch i try and write will break the first one, and after 2 years of trying I reached the conclusion it's just a whole lot less effort for me to do the configs manually by hand, each update, in the mod itself. which is why i'll skip 2 3 or even 4 updates at a time unless something major gets patched or changed.

You might investigate Beyond Compare (I linked to it above) or a similar tool for comparing directory trees. It makes it much easier to identify what's different between directory trees and to copy files or even a line out of a file from one to the other.

@Tonka Crash Welp, after testing for a double install, as you suggested, I have good news and bad news. clean install, only KIS and KAS installed, no double inventories. copy my old mod files from the old install to my clean one, but not moving the KIS/KAS folders and testing, no double inventories. move the save file to the new clean install... double inventories.

reload the old install and start a new game, no double installs, test the old save on the old install, double inventories.

What ever is causing the double inventories seems to be specific to my one game save file. no idea what caused that. 

I've been having an issue with KIS where it just doesn't work.. like at all. The game loads fine, the parts are all there, and I can open the inventory GUI. It doesn't seem that I'm able to put anything into the inventories though. I'm on 1.7.2 with the new DLC only. I checked and I am on 1.22 of KIS like I've seen recommended

34 minutes ago, Acemcbean said:

I've been having an issue with KIS where it just doesn't work.. like at all. The game loads fine, the parts are all there, and I can open the inventory GUI. It doesn't seem that I'm able to put anything into the inventories though. I'm on 1.7.2 with the new DLC only. I checked and I am on 1.22 of KIS like I've seen recommended

This is often an installation problem. I use CKAN for most mods as it takes less time to manage my mods. First do you have Module Manager installed? It's a dependency, but I don't think it's listed. Otherwise look throught this. If you need more, you need to post some logs. I prefer the KSP.log in the install directory.

@vardicd Yesterday I ran across the same problem you first reported. It was in an old install I use for troubleshooting. It turned out to be an patch file from an older version of KIS in GameData\KIS\Patches\MM-Kerbals.cfg. When I had manually updated this install I didn't delete the file. It's not needed in current KIS installs. This was creating the 2nd 1L inventory on your kerbals. Deleting it cleared it up on my machine.

The only reason I can think it's a problem when you load your save into the install is that the bad config may be saved for any Kerbals in flight. You might launch a new Kerbal and see if it's still a problem. If it's not present on newly launched Kerbals, I'd ignore the issue until everyone has rotated home when it should clean itself up. Otherwise, you can edit your persistence.cfg file and look for and delete duplicated extra entries for these fields under any nodes beginning kerbalEVA. As always back it up before changing the persistence.cfg file.

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleKISInventory
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleKISPickup
	}

One note about editing persistence.cfg file. I really didn't advise anyone doing this. This file gets updated by the game at the moments when you least expect it. My advice is always saving the game (even if it's broken) into a separate file, editing, and loading. This way you can be sure your changes don't get overwritten. Once you made you game stable, save it into another file and use it as a base going forward.

On 6/26/2019 at 11:00 AM, Tonka Crash said:

@vardicd Yesterday I ran across the same problem you first reported. It was in an old install I use for troubleshooting. It turned out to be an patch file from an older version of KIS in GameData\KIS\Patches\MM-Kerbals.cfg. When I had manually updated this install I didn't delete the file. It's not needed in current KIS installs. This was creating the 2nd 1L inventory on your kerbals. Deleting it cleared it up on my machine.

The only reason I can think it's a problem when you load your save into the install is that the bad config may be saved for any Kerbals in flight. You might launch a new Kerbal and see if it's still a problem. If it's not present on newly launched Kerbals, I'd ignore the issue until everyone has rotated home when it should clean itself up. Otherwise, you can edit your persistence.cfg file and look for and delete duplicated extra entries for these fields under any nodes beginning kerbalEVA. As always back it up before changing the persistence.cfg file.

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleKISInventory
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleKISPickup
	}

It was showing up on newly launched kerbals, not just ones in flight. I ended up doing a clean reinstall + new save anyway and all the problems i was having went away. Thanks for explaining it though.

5 minutes ago, Rabblerouser said:

So... does this have any issues with the Breaking Ground DLC that I should know of?

Nothing, except that it doesn’t integrate with the new stock inventory system yet. Read the changelog for 1.22 two pages back, IgorZ gives more details there.

• 1 month later...

I have an interesting problem with a mod I'm working to revive.  It's the ASET PRC rover.  The problem is that the parts are not attaching in the field the same way as in the editor.

Specifically, the wheels.  When attached in the editor to the base, the node snap together and everything is happy.  If I do this in the field, the wheels attach separated from the attachment point to the point that there is a visible gap between the two.

Not being a KIS guru, I'm wondering what may be wrong

Edit:  It seems to have bee a bad attach node, I have that fixed now.

On another note, how can I have KAS attach using the built-in attach nodes?

Helps to read a bit, figured it out

Edited by linuxgurugamer

• 2 weeks later...

Having an issue with icons coming out weird in both VAB and in general use. Seems that only a quarter of the icons seem to load in the storage. Anyone know anything about this?

d4ab9015fdcf16c1d5c211400a0a1533.png

Also here is a list of my mods. Don't judge me, I know there is a lot.

000_ClickThroughBlocker

000_TexturesUnlimited

001_ToolbarControl

AnyRes

B9PartSwitch

Chatterer

CollisionFX

CommunityCategoryKit

CommunityResourcePack

CommunityTechTree

CryoTanks

DE_IVAExtension

DeployableEngines

DistantObject

DMagicOrbitalScience

DynamicBatteryStorage

EngineLight

EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

GSF

JSI

KAS

KerbalAtomics

KerbalEngineer

KIS

Kopernicus

KSP-Fixes

MechJeb2

ModularFlightIntegrator

NavyFish

NearFutureConstruction

NearFutureElectrical

NearFutureProps

NearFuturePropulsion

NearFutureSolar

NearFutureSpacecraft

PlanetaryBaseInc

ProbeControlRoom

REPOSoftTech

SCANsat

scatterer

SpaceY-Lifters

StageRecovery

StockVisualEnhancements

SVT

TextureReplacer

ThunderAerospace

TriggerTech

TweakScale

UniversalStorage2

Edited by SimonTheSkink

5 hours ago, tamagotchii2003 said:

Im having trouble attaching the HW-80 winch from KAS to a modular girder XL its saying cant attach surface node.

This occurs with the Ant engine as well.  Seems that they do not have an option for a "srfAttach" node only top, bottom etc.  Testing a couple fuel tanks as well as the LV303 engine from the Missing History mod shows Top, Bottm and srfAttach nodes on these parts.

Hi, I have a suggestion/ would like some help changing something. 

The KIS container mount is the perfect size to also carry the stock storage boxes. It would be nice to have them be interchangeable for different tasks. 

OALXcir.png

However, I tried adding the stock containers in the part file, but it didn't work. It still tells me part not allowed on mount.
Have I missed something, or is that not changeable that way? 

I would like to suggest making them able to take both by default, now we have both systems. 

Edited by Tw1

15 hours ago, SimonTheSkink said:

Having an issue with icons coming out weird in both VAB and in general use. Seems that only a quarter of the icons seem to load in the storage. Anyone know anything about this?

Are you running with opengl, directX11 or directX12?  I think these can create this problems, these are also unsupported.

FYI, when you request help, posting logs is more useful than a list of mods without any other supporting data (like which version of each mod)

1 hour ago, Tw1 said:

Hi, I have a suggestion/ would like some help changing something. 

The KIS container mount is the perfect size to also carry the stock storage boxes. It would be nice to have them be interchangeable for different tasks. 

However, I tried adding the stock containers in the part file, but it didn't work. It still tells me part not allowed on mount.
Have I missed something, or is that not changeable that way? 

I would like to suggest making them able to take both by default, now we have both systems. 

The KIS container mount uses a attach node to mount the KIS container, but does not allow surface attachment. You either need to add a node to the stock storage boxes or change the KIS mount to allow surface attachment. Sine the stock box surfaces attaches the mount isn't really needed.

46 minutes ago, Tonka Crash said:

Are you running with opengl, directX11 or directX12?  I think these can create this problems, these are also unsupported.

FYI, when you request help, posting logs is more useful than a list of mods without any other supporting data (like which version of each mod)

Frankly I have no clue. I just use whatever it takes for the game to work, I don't know what's making it work in the background or how to even check otherwise. All I know is that the parts icons were cut off at the top in the VAB and it was something to do with DirectX apparently. So I installed the TexturesUnlimited-1.5.8.23 mod to repair it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q7hpcsl57f7svm8/output_log.7z?dl=0

@IgorZ posted a response to @tamagotchii2003 on the KAS thread, but it is incorrect.  As it was suggested that the issue is in KIS, I will respond here. 

The electric wrench is required to attach parts to end nodes and can also surface attach.  The regular wrench allows only surface attach.  The HW-80 winch and Ant engine, possibly more parts that I may not have found, do not have srfAttach nodes available when using "R" to switch them and therefore cannot be surface attached, despite it being allowed in the VAB/SPH.  A few fuel tanks were found to have srfAttach as well as Top and Bottom nodes which allows them to be attached in a stack and on the surface of other parts.  The Ant and HW-80 have Top and Bottom and an erroneous () node, but no srfAttach and the system throws an error indicating that they cannot be used for surface attach.

22 minutes ago, overkill13 said:

@IgorZ posted a response to @tamagotchii2003 on the KAS thread, but it is incorrect.  As it was suggested that the issue is in KIS, I will respond here. 

The electric wrench is required to attach parts to end nodes and can also surface attach.  The regular wrench allows only surface attach.  The HW-80 winch and Ant engine, possibly more parts that I may not have found, do not have srfAttach nodes available when using "R" to switch them and therefore cannot be surface attached, despite it being allowed in the VAB/SPH.  A few fuel tanks were found to have srfAttach as well as Top and Bottom nodes which allows them to be attached in a stack and on the surface of other parts.  The Ant and HW-80 have Top and Bottom and an erroneous () node, but no srfAttach and the system throws an error indicating that they cannot be used for surface attach.

Yeah, you're right. Somehow HW-80 missed the surface attach node. Which makes it a KAS bug, lol :)  Thank you for explanation. I've updated the related bug.

13 hours ago, Tonka Crash said:

The KIS container mount uses a attach node to mount the KIS container, but does not allow surface attachment. You either need to add a node to the stock storage boxes or change the KIS mount to allow surface attachment. Sine the stock box surfaces attaches the mount isn't really needed

It would still be nice to attach it there. Technically, you can just stack attach the KIS container. 

The stock parts do have top and bottom nodes though, and as seen in the image I added, the game seems to position it fine, it just won't go through with attaching. Later experiments confirm thisDbJy2pZ.png

With the following modifications to the CFG, it will allow the small one to attach, just not the big one. 

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleKISPartMount
		mountedPartNode = bottom
		sndStorePath = KIS/Sounds/containerMount
		allowRelease = true

MOUNT
		{
			attachNode = top
			allowedPartName = KIS_Container1
			allowedPartName = smallCargoContainer
			allowedPartName = cargoContainer
		}

}

I'm pretty confident the part names are right. Could there be something else preventing it working? 

On 8/12/2019 at 5:41 PM, Tw1 said:

something else preventing it working? 

Update: It was the wrong name. Turns out the SEQ-6 isn't a stock part, and some mod was giving me larger containers. Found it's name in the tech tree, and now everything is working as expected.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.