[Minimum KSP version - 1.12] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) v1.29

IgorZ

5 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

Not as of now. But even if it was, it won't help much. Alas, the game doesn't follow any consistent model of handling hotkeys. So if you press ALT+J, then regardless to how KIS reacted on it, the stock game logic will handle ALT and J separately. It's teh reason why people have to search for the unused keys for their mods. I wish ALT+J and "just" J would be different hotkeys globally.

now if I had codefu - that would be a mod I'd write - keyfu; that would modernize KSP's keyboard logic and handling.

Thank you for the answer. It was a good answer.

Edited by zer0Kerbal

1.22 (May 30th, 2019):

• [Change] "Breaking ground" DLC support.
  • [Change] Don't allow KIS to deploy or move the ground experiments.
  • [Change] Allow the small cargo to be carried by kerbal.
  • [Change] Disable the default remove helmet hotkey J as it conflicts with "Breaking ground" DLC.
  • [Enhancement] Add medium portable cargo to carry 6 experiments.
  • [Fix #333] Robotics part trigger physics when making a hover model.
  • [Fix #334] Action icons are blurred.

PLEASE READ THE TEXT BELOW!

I bet many of you, my fellow fans of KIS, will get disappointed on how KIS has adopted to the new DLC feature. And I'd like to explain why the decision was made like this. The stock inventory feature is not even close to what KIS was offering for years. There is no way how KIS can merge with the stock feature. The only feasible option is the other way around: merging the stock inventory into KIS inventory. Trust me, I've spend enough time to figure out it's cannot be done "quick and easy". In general, my idea is to have it done eventually. But not in the scope of current KIS (the technical debt is too high there). I was mentioning it several times in the last couple of years, and now I announce it outloud: a new KIS has to be made to address all the issues, accumulated during the last 2.5 years! The new DLC additions are just a part of it, not even a major part. That being said, KIS v2.0 is to be started. In difference to the KAS v2 Beta, this effort cannot be an iterative process, so I'll need some time to make enough code to start a beta testing. As a side effect of this intention, no major changes are to be made to the "old KIS" (yeah, now it's a term). Including, any improvements in handling of the robotics parts or the stock inventories. Stability bugs will still be priority, but that's it.

Stay turned. When the beta starts, I'll post a note here.

Edited by IgorZ

4 hours ago, IgorZ said:

1.22 (May 30th, 2019):

• [Change] "Breaking ground" DLC support.
  • [Change] Don't allow KIS to deploy or move the ground experiments.
  • [Change] Allow the small cargo to be carried by kerbal.
  • [Change] Disable the default remove helmet hotkey J as it conflicts with "Breaking ground" DLC.
  • [Enhancement] Add medium portable cargo to carry 6 experiments.
  • [Fix #333] Robotics part trigger physics when making a hover model.
  • [Fix #334] Action icons are blurred.

PLEASE READ THE TEXT BELOW!

I bet many of you, my fellow fans of KIS, will get disappointed on how KIS has adopted to the new DLC feature. And I'd like to explain why the decision was made like this. The stock inventory feature is not even close to what KIS was offering for years. There is no way how KIS can merge with the stock feature. The only feasible option is the other way around: merging the stock inventory into KIS inventory. Trust me, I've spend enough time to figure out it's cannot be done "quick and easy". In general, my idea is to have it done eventually. But not in the scope of current KIS (the technical debt is too high there). I was mentioning it several times in the last couple of years, and now I announce it outloud: a new KIS has to be made to address all the issues, accumulated during the last 2.5 years! The new DLC additions are just a part of it, not even a major part. That being said, KIS v2.0 is to be started. In difference to the KAS v2 Beta, this effort cannot be an iterative process, so I'll need some time to make enough code to start a beta testing. As a side effect of this intention, no major changes are to be made to the "old KIS" (yeah, now it's a term). Including, any improvements in handling of the robotics parts or the stock inventories. Stability bugs will still be priority, but that's it.

Stay turned. When the beta starts, I'll post a note here.

Sounds awesome! If we have a save that already using the current version of KIS will the new version work with it? Ie will the new version be backwards compatible allowing us to continue with our saves or would we have to restart our saves?

Thanks

6 hours ago, IgorZ said:

That being said, KIS v2.0 is to be started. In difference to the KAS v2 Beta, this effort cannot be an iterative process, so I'll need some time to make enough code to start a beta testing. As a side effect of this intention, no major changes are to be made to the "old KIS" (yeah, now it's a term). Including, any improvements in handling of the robotics parts or the stock inventories. Stability bugs will still be priority, but that's it.

No worries, wast majority of community will understand and be patient about it. Take your time and have at least some fun while coding new release.

Am I to understand I cannot redistribute compiled binaries of KIS, even without the models/textures? So even if I make all my own parts to replace the originals?
This is probably the worst time to ask this, seeing as you guys are looking into building a new version now.

43 minutes ago, dsonbill said:

Am I to understand I cannot redistribute compiled binaries of KIS, even without the models/textures? So even if I make all my own parts to replace the originals?
This is probably the worst time to ask this, seeing as you guys are looking into building a new version now.

That looks like what the license says.  If you want to make your own parts to replace the originals, I'd say make it a new mod, dependent on this one.

14 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

@IgorZ Thank you for the update! How does the new update affect mods like Pathfinder that include inventories? Do I need to toss out all ModuleKISInventory in favor of DLC inventory? Any other changes that I need to be aware of?

I wouldn't change anything. KIS and the new system are going to exist side-by-side for a while with no interaction between the two. Nothing that uses the new stock cargo system can be put in KIS inventories or manipulated with KIS. Also, KIS is not going to add the ability to put parts in the new cargo containers. To use the new science parts you have to use the stock cargo system.

But it is pretty easy to add cargo slots for the new system to a part so you aren't limited to the stock cargo containers, you just need to add the following module to a part.

MODULE // add 3 cargo slots
{
	name = ModuleInventoryPart
	InventorySlots = 3
}

1 hour ago, Tonka Crash said:

I wouldn't change anything. KIS and the new system are going to exist side-by-side for a while with no interaction between the two.

Whew! I have a lot of parts that use the KIS Inventory, so that is good news. Pathfinder is built around KIS as well; you can pack up your entire base with KIS and move it somewhere else. So having the current system remain in place until KIS 2.0 is great.

4 hours ago, dsonbill said:

Correct, you cannot redistribute binaries unless it was a fix for the new KSP version (as stated in the license). And I don't really see why would you need to redistribute KIS binaries. The game won't properly work with two KIS.dll in the system. If you're going to create a mod, based on KIS, simply declare this dependency to make people installing KIS together with your mod. It's a common practice of reusing mods.

Btw, this kind of license was made by the original author. I cannot change it. The new KIS will be under Public Domain.

18 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

@IgorZ 

Just trying to confirm that the current versions of KIS only work in 1.7 and newer, correct?

Asking because a few mods of mine use it as a reference, and the compiles are failing right now 

The latest KIS only works with 1.7.1 and higher due to it needs access to the DLC modules. It won't compile with 1.7 and below.

On 5/31/2019 at 11:19 PM, IgorZ said:

The latest KIS only works with 1.7.1 and higher due to it needs access to the DLC modules. It won't compile with 1.7 and below.

So that's why nothing was working. Uh, any idea if  updating to 1.22, running the game and playing in a save for a couple hours, and then reverting to 1.21 will cause any issues?

9 minutes ago, Hoddd9000 said:

So that's why nothing was working. Uh, any idea if  updating to 1.22, running the game and playing in a save for a couple hours, and then reverting to 1.21 will cause any issues?

If you are on 1.7 you should be using 1.21. Reverting shouldn't be a problem.

Okay, so if I am understanding correctly - new DLC surface science parts cannot go into KIS containers.

Does this mean cannot manufacture new DLC surface science parts if using the [OSE Workshop Reworked] mod which uses rocketparts and other resources to build parts and stores them into KIS inventory?

Is there a patch to turn off to reverse this behavior?

2 minutes ago, zer0Kerbal said:

Okay, so if I am understanding correctly - new DLC surface science parts cannot go into KIS containers.

Does this mean cannot manufacture new DLC surface science parts if using the [OSE Workshop Reworked] mod which uses rocketparts and other resources to build parts and stores them into KIS inventory?

Is there a patch to turn off to reverse this behavior?

KIS blocks experiment parts on UI level only. You can put those parts into inventory programmatically (e.g. via debugging KIS tools). However, if you do so, the part won't be available for the stock game for deployment. And using KIS for placing the science parts will likely result in a non working part (which was the main reason to block these parts).

Just now, IgorZ said:

KIS blocks experiment parts on UI level only. You can put those parts into inventory programmatically (e.g. via debugging KIS tools). However, if you do so, the part won't be available for the stock game for deployment. And using KIS for placing the science parts will likely result in a non working part (which was the main reason to block these parts).

ok - understood, but could remove - drop via KIS/KAS then pickup via stock? will have to try. now where did I put those debug instructions.

Just now, zer0Kerbal said:

ok - understood, but could remove - drop via KIS/KAS then pickup via stock? will have to try. now where did I put those debug instructions.

Yes, this usually works, but I cannot guarantee there are no side effects.

2 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

Yes, this usually works, but I cannot guarantee there are no side effects.

ad hoc, ergo promptus hoc — someone extremely old, a long time ago, long forgotten

heh! what's this button do!? — Jeb

ie understood - and thank you for the information.

Edited by zer0Kerbal

Another question:

I know how to add a part to every seat, and the first seat; but is there a way with ModuleManager to add something (like surveystakes) to only select parts?

such as (pseudo-code):

Spoiler

@PART[Cupula]:NEEDS[KIS] {
	@MODULE[????]
	{
      	addToTheFirstSeatOnly = ELMallet
	addToTheFirstSeatOnly = ELSurveyStake 
	}
}

thank you in advance!

1 minute ago, zer0Kerbal said:

Another question:

I know how to add a part to every seat, and the first seat; but is there a way with ModuleManager to add something (like surveystakes) to only select parts?

such as (pseudo-code):

Hide contents

@PART[Cupula]:NEEDS[KIS] {
	@MODULE[????]
	{
      	addToTheFirstSeatOnly = ELMallet
	addToTheFirstSeatOnly = ELSurveyStake 
	}
}

thank you in advance!

Alas, no. The auto add feature is only available for the pod seats. It's a very specific type of inventories.

Is there a reason I cannot store items in a container. I have both KAS and KIS installed and am using the latest version. (Off CKAN) Just curious about why I cannot use containers and what can be done about it. 

34 minutes ago, Uace24 said:

Is there a reason I cannot store items in a container. I have both KAS and KIS installed and am using the latest version. (Off CKAN) Just curious about why I cannot use containers and what can be done about it. 

You need 1.21 for 1.7, 1.22 for 1.7.1. 1.22 will not run on 1.7. In CKAN down in the lower right switch to the Versions tab and manually pick 1.21 if you are using 1.7

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.