New career and...

regex

Does anyone else just fire the original three and roll with Val at the start of a new career? I just rescued my second pilot, things are going well.

Also, first time I've ever done this to suck up science around Kerbin, kind of fun. Wheels work great at decent speeds.

z1FMXg5.png

Wheels are indeed perfect right now, not a single problem (other than pilot error from my part).  And I've strip-mined Minmus.

I use the fabulous fours a lot.   But since you can make your own Kerbal, I was tempted to re-write a few names, I've resisted that urge thus far.

Edited by Francois424

5 hours ago, Streetwind said:

I never fire any Kerbals.

I hate their faces (Jeb, Bill, and Bob). It's nice to never see them again without mods.

This version is great, orbits are rock solid and performance is smooth, even if I get some PQS loading stutter when switching from map view to 10km Mun orbit after Kerbin SOI, but that's understandable. Haven't been this satisfied with stock since 1.0. I can't wait to try this out with a full RO install but, in the meantime, I'm going to take advantage of the orbit accuracy (and the fact that I'm finally on a Windows machine and can run KSPTOT) to do some ballet in a career game.

1 hour ago, Jovus said:

KSPTOT?

KSP Trajectory Optimization Tool (I think?). Does porkchops, finds fly-bys, finds chained fly-bys (Voyager, etc...), great stuff. Doesn't run on Linux, unfortunately.

Sounds awesome. Too bad I'm on a Linux box myself. Maybe I'll take a look at the source code and see about implementing it in Python via KRPC...

(Don't hold your breath.)

Edit: Oh, it's using MATLAB. I have access to MATLAB, not just the runtime compiler, so I shouldn't have many problems on Linux...

Edited by Jovus

2 minutes ago, Jovus said:

Sounds awesome. Too bad I'm on a Linux box myself. Maybe I'll take a look at the source code and see about implementing it in Python via KRPC...

It's MATLAB, that's why. External program that uses data from KSP. I couldn't get it running under Wine.

9 minutes ago, Jovus said:

Edit: Oh, it's using MATLAB. I have access to MATLAB, not just the runtime compiler, so I shouldn't have many problems on Linux...

With numpy you should be able to get a lot done in Python. Throw in matplotlib and you can have your porkchop plots created for you without any manual input.

I sometimes fire the original three...   And Val, just starting with enough funds to hire any four more kerbals from the astronaut complex. Otherwise the same kerbals get the same first accomplishments, every single time...

Also I may have to look into this KSPTOT...

Orbit stability was really killing me in 1.1.3, so I'm really looking forward to updating this weekend.

4 minutes ago, Foxster said:

I take it experiments go straight into it?

Yep. What I do is set all my experiments to an action group, and then after running them all right click on the container and hit 'collect all science'. 

Note that while it can take the results out of the goo and science jr., those still need a scientist kerbal to reset them. 

Also, if you have more than one science container on a ship and do the 'collect all', it will pull from the other container before the experiments. Not sure if that's a bug or not, but something to be aware of. 

I could never do such a thing to the original trio... but "forgetting" about them on my Mun bases, or sending them to Jool... then missing and heading to Eelo, I may do that on occasion... :wink:

I run under the "no Kerbal left behind" rule in sandbox and no "losses" if you get my drift. I might give career a go in 1.2. If I do I'm going to need like millions of data mods and lots of craft testing just to make sure there are no mission failures. I may role play too seriously.

Though back in the day of alpha, I'd crash ships like there was no tomorrow. :P

11 minutes ago, Wiseman said:

That is a super cool rover design. Feels very Mad Max. What sort of speed can you get it up to? How does it handle?

Well, it's a trike with the single wheel forward so it's a bit unstable but it'll do at least 30m/s comfortably. You generally run the engine at a very low throttle, with bursts to get over hills, and use a bare trickle of fuel in the process. I estimate I could easily make the mountains to the east on a full tank.

19 minutes ago, Technical Ben said:

I run under the "no Kerbal left behind" rule in sandbox and no "losses" if you get my drift. I might give career a go in 1.2. If I do I'm going to need like millions of data mods and lots of craft testing just to make sure there are no mission failures. I may role play too seriously.

You should just throw all that out the window, make a quick spreadsheet, and run a career. It's a very different game without data mods but it is entirely doable.

Although it really pushes you to invest in larger fuel tanks so that figuring out stage dry mass doesn't take too long, one of the reasons I'll throw monetary efficiency out the window and use 2.5m tanks with clustered engines. You also want revert available to your save in case you forget to refill the tanks...

Edited by regex

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.