IXS Warpship Original Series

Denko666

WarpShip

bYkCHMrl.png

WarpShip is an update and expansion of the IXS Enterprise, adding some futuristic functionality while maintaining good integration with stock parts, and creating some new gameplay options but not adding too much complexity to the game. The core of the mod is, of course, Stevie_D's IXS Enterprise parts, but it also adds several models from KSP Interstellar in order to give more flexibility when building your WarpShip. However, WarpShip itself is not all that compatible with KSP Interstellar and the parts generally do vastly different things. WarpShip also uses @RoverDude's Alcubierre Warpdrive Standalone and Community Resource Pack

If you are upgrading from an earlier version of WarpShip, you should delete your old GameData/WarpShip directory or there will probably be issues with textures.

This mod probably won't break your saves but it is a WIP so I can't and won't guarantee anything.

Download from:

Requires:

Sourcecode

WarpShip borrows extensively from:

I am simply giving credit where credit is due; none of these mods are required to use WarpShip and in fact will probably clash with it. Firespitter is also no longer required, as I've borrowed the needed code from it as well.

Derivatives of stuff from KSP Interstellar, the USI Alcubierre Warp Drive, Firespitter, and the original IXS Enterprise are covered by the same license as the original.

My own additions are distributed under the CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 license.

I did not make any of the models. All credit goes to their respective authors.

For details as to where everything came from, please consult the individual files.

Edited by Denko666
Even more Additional info

And a new minor update is here already:
- Added Develocitizer function to Warpdrive Ring
- Replaced deprecated MDrive thruster in example craft with QV2Thruster

Maybe there is some other deeply mysterious way of fixing your orbital speed when coming out of warp, but i'm not that good a wizard. So i re-introduced the De-Velocitizer, but this time it is part of the warp drive ring, so the pod with the blue light thingy remains a survey scanner. This should also mean that no craft will break, and that you gain the ability even if there is already an IXS in use in your savegame.

1 hour ago, pheenix99 said:

Woohoo!

i heard your woos, i tried it out myself and yeah... De-Velocitizer is not particularly cheaty. The De-Velocitizer was made when the IXS was using a fork of the Alcubierre code. I'd have expected RoverDude's drive would have its own way of getting your orbit stabilized; but if it has, i don't know how. 

12 minutes ago, Denko666 said:

i heard your woos, i tried it out myself and yeah... De-Velocitizer is not particularly cheaty. The De-Velocitizer was made when the IXS was using a fork of the Alcubierre code. I'd have expected RoverDude's drive would have its own way of getting your orbit stabilized; but if it has, i don't know how. 

Wait, you're saying the develocitizer works now? I can't test it at the moment, but the cfg file makes it look like a resource scanning type of pod and not for deceleration.

Edited by pheenix99

3 minutes ago, pheenix99 said:

Wait, you're saying the develocitizer works now? I can't test it at the moment, but the cfg file makes it look like a resource scanning type of pod and not for deceleration.

It should work, but the function is moved to the Warp Drive ring itself. So it's not a separate part anymore. EC usage of the develocitizer is as before (more dV to correct, more EC it needs but its not infinite). The code should work, the code for develocitizing is the same; it did not throw any errors in the compiler. But i haven't had the chance to create the right circumstances in a game to give it a field test. 

So the pod formerly known as develocitizer is now a Survey Scanner. And the Warp Drive itself now has the brakes built-in :wink:

Remember to shut down the Warp drive before you develocitize, or it won't have the desired effect.

1 minute ago, Denko666 said:

It should work, but the function is moved to the Warp Drive ring itself. So it's not a separate part anymore. EC usage of the develocitizer is as before (more dV to correct, more EC it needs but its not infinite). The code should work, the code for develocitizing is the same; it did not throw any errors in the compiler. But i haven't had the chance to create the right circumstances in a game to give it a field test. 

So the pod formerly known as develocitizer is now a Survey Scanner. And the Warp Drive itself now has the brakes built-in :wink:

Remember to shut down the Warp drive before you develocitize, or it won't have the desired effect.

Here's a thought.....SCANSAT pod?

1 minute ago, pheenix99 said:

Here's a thought.....SCANSAT pod?

you want that? Thats no more difficult then writing a ModuleManager config. I'll look into writing that tomorrow. First i'm going to enjoy KSP1.2 a bit myself now :P

2 minutes ago, Denko666 said:

you want that? Thats no more difficult then writing a ModuleManager config. I'll look into writing that tomorrow. First i'm going to enjoy KSP1.2 a bit myself now :P

I try to avoid making actual feature requests unless such input is actually requested (don't want to come off as demanding, especially when I love a mod as it currently is).....call it "thinking out loud" :wink:

But yeah, SCANSAT pod that incorporates the multiple parts from that mod, unpressurized cargo bay (for other experiments and such) or even a life support tank (supplies) would be quite useful. However, it's not my mod and I'll continue to enjoy it regardless.

13 hours ago, pheenix99 said:

What's that EPL compatible mod that goes well with the docking rings from this mod?

Keridian Dynamics (KD). Haven't seen a message that it's updated to KSP 1.2 yet though.

Minor Update!

0.4.0.2: October 14 2016
- Updated SurveyScanner pod to KSP1.2 Kerbnet
- SCANsat modifies all parts with Survey scanners in them, so the pod is also SCANsat ready now

14 minutes ago, pheenix99 said:

Sweet!

I guess hoping for the eventual ability to land on non-atmospheric planets down the road is wishful thinking :wink:

nwZYbge.png

The original idea of the IXS has never been with surface landing in mind, let alone athmospheric flight. But i'm trying to get those top and bottom pods designed, that should cover 'non-pressurized storage for experiments etc...' and a tank variant for storing extra resources. the pods would have built-in RCS, room for a 1.25m docking port at the bottom surrounded by thrusters and landing gear so it could make landings (and possibly take back off again). But this is making a part from scratch, which i've never done before. So it may take me a while.

2 hours ago, Denko666 said:

The original idea of the IXS has never been with surface landing in mind, let alone athmospheric flight. But i'm trying to get those top and bottom pods designed, that should cover 'non-pressurized storage for experiments etc...' and a tank variant for storing extra resources. the pods would have built-in RCS, room for a 1.25m docking port at the bottom surrounded by thrusters and landing gear so it could make landings (and possibly take back off again). But this is making a part from scratch, which i've never done before. So it may take me a while.

Again, just thinking out loud. I've tried launching and docking a small lander to a docking port on one of the tanks, warping to destination, undocking and landing which worked just fine

Edited by pheenix99

1 hour ago, Fendrin said:

Hello, can't get the Tokamak in the main hull to run properly.

It is producing charge but never more than 6,78% load. That is using the example ship that comes with the mod. Anything I don't know?

Do you have an engineer in the main hull? (also check how stupid he/she is... it makes a difference)

1 hour ago, Fendrin said:

Yes, and he is nearly not stupid at all.

'Nearly not stupid at all' ...LOL that's a really cute way of putting that :)

I've tested it out and i see what you mean. To get the reactor to perform better it needs to get up to temperature. Which it doesn't. Either because there isn't enough load to generate heat as a byproduct or because the PHC drains the EC too fast, eating up the input EC the reactor needs to keep the reaction going.

Long story short, it's a balancing issue and i'll look into it. Maybe i need to use different reactor code... This is what i get for not doing play-through testing the thing. It looked soo good on paper tho. :(

"Void" thruster is somewhat broken, it gives 250kN more thrust than the "Lightning" but uses only: "Propellants:

- Electric Charge: 0.013/sec. Max." (copied from the editor's tooltip) compared to the Lightning's consume of 1087.697 charge per second.

Maybe the Tokamak issue was not reported yet simply because no one used the Lightning (which also consumes Xenon gas) and the "Void" just never demands more than the 6%.

To give the example ship's reactor some load, the "Void" thruster was replaced by a "Lightning". This does not increase the output of the Tokamak. Thus the load is not the problem.

The deep freeze hibernation chambers drain a fixed amount of charge for a freeze.
To simplify coding the Tokamak could use the same mechanism, drain a certain amount of charge from the ship's reserves, abort starting when it runs out. Not exactly the same but not far away either.

edit:

The PPR plasma reactor pair seems to behave odd as well. The smaller one outputs 90 charge a second using one plasma. So the small container (500 plasma) contains enough energy to feed its own containment field for only a few hours.

edit2:

The main hull's solar panels are blocking each other. It seems to me that if one of the solar panels is blocked the other one at the opposite site of the hull stops producing charge as well. Splitting the hull and the cargo truss into separate parts is a possible solution.

Edited by Fendrin

Anyone have any other recommendations for the space dock besides Keridian Dynamics? It doesn't appear that it's been updated and the thread seems dormant/dead. Now that EPL has been updated....I wanna build stuff.

I played with it a bit and it looks like it is coming along fine. One of the tanks still has the Karbonite labeling from the earlier version of this mod. Perhaps removing that label from it  unless you plan on incorporating Karbonite later--would not be a bad idea. This does have a very unfinished feel to it which is not necessarily a bad thing if you plan to continue to tweak this mod.

15 minutes ago, thesmokindeist said:

I played with it a bit and it looks like it is coming along fine. One of the tanks still has the Karbonite labeling from the earlier version of this mod. Perhaps removing that label from it  unless you plan on incorporating Karbonite later--would not be a bad idea. This does have a very unfinished feel to it which is not necessarily a bad thing if you plan to continue to tweak this mod.

The sole reason for that is that i haven't got my head around modelling and texturing for KSP yet :wink: