Stock self-destruct method for a part?

Sharpy

How could I - without using a plugin - have a part self-destruct on demand? - Just that one small part destroying itself, nothing else - definitely not whatever it's attached to!

I was considering making it an engine of zero thrust that produces excessive heat and has null heat capacity, but I don't want it to explode on ascent, or force it into the staging sequence.

I thought of making it a decoupler that would have its direction reversed- smashing against whatever the part is attached to, faster than the part is allowed to.  (the part is allowed to be more flimsy than pretty much anything else) But I can't get the decoupler to reverse the direction.

Maybe I could extend the collider under the attachment surface, so that the moment you decouple it, it explodes because it's clipped in?

Any ideas?

Edited by Sharpy

Got it. The values had to be pretty extreme to work in a reasonable (almost immediate) time.

I copied the parameters of a thermonuclear fusion generator from "Simple Nuclear" mod onto a tiny RCS block, then edited them to some even more extreme values :D

MODULE
{
    name = ModuleResourceConverter
    ConverterName = Reactor
    StartActionName = Self-destruct
    StopActionName = Abort Self-destruct
    INPUT_RESOURCE
    {
        ResourceName = ElectricCharge
        Ratio = 1
    }
    OUTPUT_RESOURCE
    {
        ResourceName = ElectricCharge
        DumpExcess = true
        Ratio = 1        
    }
    AutoShutdown = false
    TemperatureModifier
        {
            key = 0 10000000
            key = 4000 10000000
        }
    GeneratesHeat = true
    ThermalEfficiency
    {
        key = 0 1.0 0 0
        key = 4000 1.0 0 0
        }        
    }        
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleCoreHeat
        CoreTempGoal = 40000                //Internal temp goal - we don't transfer till we hit this point
        CoreToPartRatio = 0.1                //Scale back cooling if the part is this % of core temp
        CoreTempGoalAdjustment = 0            //Dynamic goal adjustment
        CoreEnergyMultiplier = 0.99            //What percentage of our core energy do we transfer to the part
        HeatRadiantMultiplier = 0.1            //If the core is hotter, how much heat radiates?
        CoolingRadiantMultiplier = 0.01        //If the core is colder, how much radiates?
        HeatTransferMultiplier = 1            //If the part is hotter, how much heat transfers in?
        CoolantTransferMultiplier = 0.1        //If the part is colder, how much of our energy can we transfer?
        radiatorCoolingFactor = 0            //How much energy we pull from core with an active radiator?  >= 1
        radiatorHeatingFactor = 0.1            //How much energy we push to the active radiator
        MaxCalculationWarp = 1000            //Based on how dramatic the changes are, this is the max rate of change
        CoreShutdownTemp = 10000000             //At what core temperature do we shut down all generators on this part?
        MaxCoolant = 1                        //Maximum amount of radiator capacity we can consume - 50 = 1 small
    }        
RESOURCE
    {
        name = ElectricCharge
        amount = 0
        maxAmount = 1
    }    

If anyone has an idea of a more graceful approach, you're welcome.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.