The Ui Flicker Bug - In stock

1 hour ago, MaxPeck said:

Either way, it's not a game breaker as much as it's an annoyance so even if they don't put it at the top of their list of things to tackle, it's not the end of the world. If I came off as being upset about this, let me set the record straight - I ain't. Lots more stuff to get worked up over, this doesn't even make the list. 

i played at start completely without mods to the point when it began to be a bit.. uhm... boring. Now with life support or kerbalism, FAR, with tons of new contract types, who change the gameplay a lot, a not correct working UI and invicible menus in vab/sph, where much game time is spent, it's an important issue in my eyes. i have no other bugs, what rages me or either i know another gamebreaker bug.

It's all a thing of perspective. :)

2 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

All this noise and no one has raised a bug report?
There you go:

http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/13023

Thanks @LeLeon for spending the time to investigate and find a reliable repro steps. Well done.

Thx for the bug report you opened @JPLRepo. I had no idea how this works here. It can be 201 or 300 parts, when flicker begin. i only tested the 100 stacks.

Just feel the need to add my 2c here from an overall perspective:

• The public bug tracker does not usually reflect people picking up items and working on them - that is done in private or during Prerelease we do things more publically in that tracker.
  • Testers and staff do read the forums and bug tracker reports, including modded areas (A bunch of mods are written by staff/testers in spare time) cause we are interested in all facets of KSP - I was reading that mod thread end of last week as it looked interesting to our players and I still have the tab open.
  • For my money this is a Stock bug - the bug occurs in stock code with an increased number of stock parts (great job @LeLeon in narrowing that down - helps immensely). Modding is an important part of KSP :)
  • One of the main reasons for the Prerelease process is to allow Mod writers to update their mods and we pick up extra things to fix that may not be shown from a bare install and help modders - unfortunately noone saw this in the pre period or we would have looked then.
  • I would advise some cooler heads when posting/replying to people as it does take time for developers to look at things and clean up after release, and it does take players time to write up the things they find and the helpful info. Lets all play nice together :) 

I really value the passion that we have in this awesome community, lets not create unnecessary friction though

I've read this thread and I do hope the devs work on this, I'm going to try to say this from a player's view with a dev's in mind.  I think we can consider the problem of the flicker as a matter of time, the more mods the longer it lasts, therefore in an absolute pure stock install, the flicker is too short to give much appearance.  This could be a result of the garbage collector and, in more modded installs, would run longer and more frequently than in stock.

If in the VAB the player selects a cubic octagonal strut as the root part, let's say this single part represents stock.  Now for every mod installed add another until the number equals mods +1.  Grab the root part and delete all the parts together.  A hundred parts will take much longer to remove than just the single part.  In our modded installs this flicker is similar to removing that many parts at once, we can time it.  Trying to find this flicker in vanilla KSP is like trying to time how long it takes to remove a single part.  It's so short that we need a tool to measure it which would then create a modded install invalidating the test.

tl;dr Players tested mods, now devs test stock

Edit: Saw TriggerAU's post after making mine, but basically players have done enough testing, let's let the devs figure it out.

Edited by mikerl
unread post

Hi all! Long-time player/lurker, first-time poster.

I wanted to add a 'me too,' except to note that my flickering has an additional component that doesn't seem to be present on any of the videos I've seen of this bug - the contract/engineer windows and the mod toolbar also flicker!

This is the 'normal' state, which is maddening when I am trying to build a craft to satisfy a contract:
Screenshot
If I move the mouse a bit everything will come back, but seemingly only if the mouse is kept in exactly the right spot:
Screenshot

I am running 1.2 with the following installed mods, all of which are fully 1.2 compatible (except possibly KER and Station Parts Expansion) and up-to-date as of three hours ago:

Spoiler

KSP: 1.2 (Win64) - Unity: 5.4.0p4 - OS: Windows 10  (10.0.0) 64bit
Filter Extensions - 2.7.3
USI Tools - 0.8.2
B9 Part Switch - 1.5
Chatterer - 0.9.91.1586
Color Coded Canisters - 1.5.1
Community Category Kit - 0.1.1
Community Resource Pack - 0.6.1
Easy Vessel Switch - 1.1.1
Firespitter - 7.4.1
Fuel Tanks Plus - 1.11
Interstellar Fuel Switch - 2.2.4
RasterPropMonitor - 0.28
Kerbal Attachment System - 0.6
Kerbal Engineer Redux - 1.1.2
Kerbal Inventory System - 1.3
KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.6.2
KWRocketryRedux - 3.0.17
Lithobrake Exploration Technologies - 0.4
Modular Rocket Systems - 1.13
Docking Port Alignment Indicator - 6.5
Kerbal Planetary Base Systems - 1.1.6
Portrait Stats - 1.0.12
RCS Build Aid - 0.9
SCANsat - 1.1.6.9
SpaceY Expanded - 1.2
SpaceY Lifters - 1.14
StationPartsExpansion - 0.4
Surface Mounted Stock-Alike Lights for Self-Illumination - 1.3
USI Core - 0.3.2
Asteroid Recycling Tech - 0.9.1
USI Exploration Pack - 0.6
Freight Transport Tech - 0.6.1
Karbonite - 0.8.1
Karbonite Plus - 0.7.1
Karibou - 0.3.1
Konstruction - 0.1.5
USI-LS - 0.5.3
Malemute Rover - 0.2
UKS - 0.50
NuclearRockets - 0.3.1
Sounding Rockets - 0.5.2
USI Survivability Pack - 0.6
USI Submarine Pack - 0.2.2
USI Alcubierre Drive - 0.5

Edited by SineDeviance

3 hours ago, SineDeviance said:

Hi all! Long-time player/lurker, first-time poster.

I wanted to add a 'me too,' except to note that my flickering has an additional component that doesn't seem to be present on any of the videos I've seen of this bug - the contract/engineer windows and the mod toolbar also flicker!

Reveal hidden contents

KSP: 1.2 (Win64) - Unity: 5.4.0p4 - OS: Windows 10  (10.0.0) 64bit
Filter Extensions - 2.7.3
USI Tools - 0.8.2
B9 Part Switch - 1.5
Chatterer - 0.9.91.1586
Color Coded Canisters - 1.5.1
Community Category Kit - 0.1.1
Community Resource Pack - 0.6.1
Easy Vessel Switch - 1.1.1
Firespitter - 7.4.1
Fuel Tanks Plus - 1.11
Interstellar Fuel Switch - 2.2.4
RasterPropMonitor - 0.28
Kerbal Attachment System - 0.6
Kerbal Engineer Redux - 1.1.2
Kerbal Inventory System - 1.3
KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.6.2
KWRocketryRedux - 3.0.17
Lithobrake Exploration Technologies - 0.4
Modular Rocket Systems - 1.13
Docking Port Alignment Indicator - 6.5
Kerbal Planetary Base Systems - 1.1.6
Portrait Stats - 1.0.12
RCS Build Aid - 0.9
SCANsat - 1.1.6.9
SpaceY Expanded - 1.2
SpaceY Lifters - 1.14
StationPartsExpansion - 0.4
Surface Mounted Stock-Alike Lights for Self-Illumination - 1.3
USI Core - 0.3.2
Asteroid Recycling Tech - 0.9.1
USI Exploration Pack - 0.6
Freight Transport Tech - 0.6.1
Karbonite - 0.8.1
Karbonite Plus - 0.7.1
Karibou - 0.3.1
Konstruction - 0.1.5
USI-LS - 0.5.3
Malemute Rover - 0.2
UKS - 0.50
NuclearRockets - 0.3.1
Sounding Rockets - 0.5.2
USI Survivability Pack - 0.6
USI Submarine Pack - 0.2.2
USI Alcubierre Drive - 0.5

After i went back to my normal mod selection and followed the career mode, i noticed this horrible disappearing toolbar and contract window content. Now, like in my good old patrician 2 times i write down my part testing contract parameters on paper, because half the time i can't read anything nor can i scroll it.

Edited by LeLeon

22 minutes ago, LeLeon said:

After i went back to my normal mod selection and followed the career mode, i noticed this horrible disappearing toolbar and contract window content. Now, like in my good old patrician 2 times i write down my part testing contract parameters on paper, because half the time i can't read anything nor can i scroll it.

as long as u dont start assembling a real rocket and launch it :-/

1 hour ago, LeLeon said:

I found installing just roverdude 's mods, plus ones for eye candy , mjeb, kis, kas etc, it was 'playable' is contract and engineers tabs stay working. Just don't add too many part mods.

8 minutes ago, TriggerAu said:

Just wanna confirm something from you all. You only see this in the Editor scene right - eg the contracts app doing the same doesnt happen in the flight scene for anyone?

8 minutes ago, TriggerAu said:

Just wanna confirm something from you all. You only see this in the Editor scene right - eg the contracts app doing the same doesnt happen in the flight scene for anyone?

Last night I also observed similar odd behavior in the astronaut complex, where the interface would disappear and reappear as you move the mouse.  Haven/t seen it yet in the Contracts window or flight scene.

20 minutes ago, TriggerAu said:

as i see for me, its only a vab/sph issue, when modded only the additional buttons from mods on lower button bar disappear, same with content of open contract window. In flight scene i have not seen any flicker or disappeared buttons..

Edited by LeLeon

14 minutes ago, TriggerAu said:

Thanks guys, I'll look at the KSC (Building ones) one as well

FWIW, I just loaded the game and went through all of the buildings... I haven't been able to reproduce the issue in the astronaut complex, and it only occurred once last night after I had been playing for a while.  It happens reliably in the VAB/SPH... the contracts window and engineer's report are functionally useless at this point, and any mods in the stock toolbar tease me by flickering in and out of existence without actually letting me use them.  Zero issues in the flight scene, launch facilities or tracking station that I've seen so far.

8 minutes ago, Mervy said:

Can we take this thread to the modded section? there is already one there.

nope, its here cause the cause of the problem is NOT in a mod, but in vanilla.

The thread in modded existed before and we know about it.

Edited by Speadge

40 minutes ago, Speadge said:

nope, its here cause the cause of the problem is NOT in a mod, but in vanilla.

ok no problem, if i can do anything to help test please let me know.

i tested with the following mods and it seems stable. (626 parts)

Spoiler

[x] Science! (xScience v5.1)
Action Groups Extended (AGExt 2.1)
Alcubierre Warp Drive (Stand-alone) (AlcubierreStandalone 0.5.0.0)
Chatterer (Chatterer 0.9.91)
Colonists! (Colonists 3)
Community Resource Pack (CommunityCategoryKit 0.1.1.0)
Community Resource Pack (CommunityResourcePack 0.6.1.0)
Distant Object Enhancement (DistantObject v1.8.0)
Distant Object Enhancement default config (DistantObject-default v1.8.0)
DMagic Orbital Science (DMagicOrbitalScience 1.3.3)
Firespitter Core (FirespitterCore v7.4.1)
Kerbal Alarm Clock (KerbalAlarmClock v3.8.0.0)
Kerbal Attachment System (KAS 0.6.0.0)
Kerbal Inventory System (KIS 1.3.0.0)
Konstruction (Konstruction 0.1.5.0)
MechJeb 2 - DEV RELEASE (MechJeb2-dev 2.5.9.0-643)
Module Manager (ModuleManager 2.7.2)
PlanetShine (PlanetShine 0.2.5.2)
PlanetShine - Default configuration (PlanetShine-Config-Default 0.2.5.2)
Precise Node (PreciseNode 1.2.4.0)
SCANsat (SCANsat v16.9)
Shuttle Lifting Body (ShuttleLiftingBodyCormorantAeronology 1.2)
Stock Visual Enhancements (SVE-HighResolution 1:1.1.1)
Stock Visual Enhancements: Sunflare (SVE-Sunflare 1:1.1.1)
TextureReplacer (TextureReplacer v2.5.1)
Toolbar (Toolbar 1.7.13)
TriggerAu Flags (TriggerAu-Flags v2.9.0.0)
TweakScale - Rescale Everything! (TweakScale v2.3)
USI Asteroid Recycling Technologies (USI-ART 1:0.9.2.0)
USI Core (USI-Core 0.3.2.0)
USI Exploration Pack (USI-EXP 0.6.1.0)
USI Freight Transport Technologies (USI-FTT 0.6.1.0)
USI Kolonization Systems (MKS/OKS) (UKS 1:0.50.3.0)
USI Life Support (USI-LS 0.5.3.0)
USI Survival Pack (USI-SRV 0.6.1.0)
USI Tools (USITools 0.8.2.0)

Edited by Mervy

36 minutes ago, Mervy said:

ok no problem, if i can do anything to help test please let me know.

i removed all USI mods and left in the following and have not seen this flicker.

[x] Science! (xScience v5.1)

TweakScale - Rescale Everything! (TweakScale v2.3)

Because you have not many parts left now, Flicker is a "too many parts" issue. I had in another thread a 36 flicker safe config with USI + KIS + KAS but without Tweakscale or Toolbar. Or 37-39 mods with KIS or KAS, but here with Tweakscale+Toolbar. Many possibilities to get a flicker free modded game, but i cannot use my normal modded ksp without flicker. I miss B9 parts and the whole NF branch, what will bring me flicker back. Actually i have to live with flicker UI, because i don't wanna strip the game.

Edited by LeLeon

8 minutes ago, LeLeon said:

Because you have not many parts left now, Flicker is a "too many parts" issue. I had in another thread a 36 flicker safe config with USI + KIS + KAS but without Tweakscale or Toolbar. Or 37-39 mods with KIS or KAS, but here with Tweakscale+Toolbar. Many possibilities to get a flicker free modded game, but i cannot use my normal modded ksp without flicker. I miss B9 parts and the whole NF branch, what will bring me flicker back. Actually i have to live with flicker UI, because i don't wanna strip the game.

i edited my post after testing with usi in sandbox, not seen it repro yet, seems like such a crappy bug that its hopefully something and nothing. :S

18 hours ago, LeLeon said:

as i see for me, its only a vab/sph issue, when modded only the additional buttons from mods on lower button bar disappear, same with content of open contract window. In flight scene i have not seen any flicker or disappeared buttons..

I have not seen it in flight eider, but I do see it in the mission control, the contracts vanish and reappear there too for me.

Since I play modded it is probably wrong to comment here but, well I did, sorry :blush:

I just want to confirm I'm experiencing this too. When I first upgraded and played stock 1.2 and 1.2pre this wasn't the case. After I loaded ~25 mods which had all been updated at least around mid-october. The bugg is a flicker that seems to only affect certain UI elements. It's been well described here though so I just want to comfirm. Should be easy to lock down, thanks for the hard work everyone. Kerbal is the game of the century!

I would mention that this only occured for me in the VAB/SPH areas, AFTER I added a bunch of mods. Once I was at "space center" or on a mission the UI seemed to work fine. And I  realize now that this was an unmodded bug maybe it should be moved to modded unless devs are ever planning on saturating the game with more parts.

Edited by Dills0n

11774 is about issues at the main menu, we've been working on the editor scene here with http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/13023

Ive done a bit of work here and eliminated the UI flicker in general, but not able to "cause" the App tray stuff to flicker in my current code base. I have a fix in mind for it, but would really like to be able to repro it to test the fix. Can people who are experiencing that issue provide some details on what mods they might have installed - maybe I need some specific bits in my install to trigger it. Attach them in the bug for the editor flicker  http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/13023

Thanks

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.