1.2 Bug with strutConnectorMedium missing.

After some messing around I have found a bug, well not a bug just something I presume (Edit: presumed wrong but no clue as to what mod has changed the name) Squad missed in 1.2. Essentially the save game and ships need patching as one of the base parts has been altered and has its name changed slightly. If you get the message saying some parts are missing or ships won't load because of missing parts then this might help you.

The Missing Part: strutConnectorMedium (AKA: EAS-4 Strut)

If you get an error saying this part is missing, then you need to edit your save file, and ship files. Even though it seems it might be a mod that has changed the name of this part this fix still gets things working as the parts are identical.

• Open ([KSP Dir] \saves\ [savefile name] \ persistent.sfs) in a plain text editor i.e. Notepad.
  • Find and replace all instances of 'strutConnectorMedium' with 'strutConnector'. Don't change anything else.
  • Save the file, then reopen KSP, and load your save. The error is gone and the strut is exactly the same as before.

I know were all fond of struts, and I hope Squad gets onto this in the next patch. I would submit a bug report but the tracker isn't working for me. If someone else can submit this for me that's great.

Gabriel 

Edited by Gabriel Strange

Just now, Red Iron Crown said:

Not a stock part, the stock one is "strutConnector" and that isn't new.

I only use two types of strut one stock (EAS-4) and one non-stock, and the non-stock one is fine. Unless something has altered the name and added Medium. Because when I made the change and replaced the names everything worked fine. The only other thing I can think that may have done something is Kerbal Joint Reenforcement, looking at the save file other than the name the parts are identical.

I know someone else has had this issue, so I'm not sure what is causing the name change, my best guess is KJR. Either way, the above fix still applies and gets the save file working properly.

If anyone knows is KJR is responsible for this change post here as it might have appended other things after other parts. 

Gabriel

2 minutes ago, Gabriel Strange said:

The name change still works for me, and I hope it does for other people. 

That will change it to a stock strut, that should be fine if the strength of a medium or heavy strut was not really required for the vessel, though you can also enable stronger joints via the main Settings screen and the right click action menu now.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.