[1.12.x] Kerbal Launch Failure Revived

linuxgurugamer

So, I've run into the same/similar issues to some folk up-thread - just had a part failure occur after undocking from a station. I'm admittedly in a very modded save, which could've caused it by some weird interaction. Vessel was named Brightmoon 3, station is Etheria Scientific Outpost, and the failure was an immediate overheat warning on ignition of an LV-909 Terrier engine, if that helps - here's the log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ke5gglba0vye7kh/KSP 1.12 log Brightmoon 3 failure.log?dl=0

I'm not here to complain, it was actually quite fun to be honest - just a weird and transient thing that I've never seen before and is ostensibly outside the mod's scope. My working theory is somehow it thought the undocked ship was a new vessel and the staging to activate the engine was "launch" and it overrode the atmosphere check somehow?

7 hours ago, wisdomsavingthrow said:

So, I've run into the same/similar issues to some folk up-thread - just had a part failure occur after undocking from a station. I'm admittedly in a very modded save, which could've caused it by some weird interaction. Vessel was named Brightmoon 3, station is Etheria Scientific Outpost, and the failure was an immediate overheat warning on ignition of an LV-909 Terrier engine, if that helps - here's the log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ke5gglba0vye7kh/KSP 1.12 log Brightmoon 3 failure.log?dl=0

I'm not here to complain, it was actually quite fun to be honest - just a weird and transient thing that I've never seen before and is ostensibly outside the mod's scope. My working theory is somehow it thought the undocked ship was a new vessel and the staging to activate the engine was "launch" and it overrode the atmosphere check somehow?

I really need the Player.log, but I can tell you that you don't have the right version of Kronometer installed.  And while I don't think it's related, you should get it fixed before submitting another log.

If you can't, then at least (if it's still available) get me the Player.log

10 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I really need the Player.log, but I can tell you that you don't have the right version of Kronometer installed.  And while I don't think it's related, you should get it fixed before submitting another log.

If you can't, then at least (if it's still available) get me the Player.log

This is the Player.log - I just renamed the file in my Dropbox so I remember what it is in future. Thanks for the Kronometer heads up!

Edited by wisdomsavingthrow

• 2 months later...

What does the thing in the toolbar do. I can only toggle it on and off. Is it for enabling/disabling the mod? Also a guide to all the setting would be helpful as it is a bit confusing and you say that the default is 1 in 50 but I have to set that myself if I want it.

1 hour ago, sirOrange17 said:

What does the thing in the toolbar do. I can only toggle it on and off. Is it for enabling/disabling the mod? Also a guide to all the setting would be helpful as it is a bit confusing and you say that the default is 1 in 50 but I have to set that myself if I want it.

The button simply disables the failure sound playing if it is actually playing.

The actually default  values for the settings are changed depending on the difficulty of the game settings, but you can override that.

Each setting on the Settings page has a tooltip that explains what that setting is for

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I was looking at the various different failure mods and this definitely looks the easiest to understand and most "fun".

Occasionally I like to read the source of mods to really see what it's doing (nerd), and spotted:

1. Typo in the "Easy" setting have "80%" chance of explosive failure. I think that is a typo and should be "0.08" (8%) comparing to the other difficulty levels?  Possibly one could argue that it _is_ easier if on failure your rocket just explodes and you can shrug and revert to launch without worrying about how to prevent such things... 
  2. the Game Difficulty Settings page has all the percentages as either 0 or 1 - just start a new game, hit the "Settings" button and try Easy/Medium/Hard. (Tested without any other mods on a fresh 1.12.4). I think because the values are loaded into the "Percentage" rather than "Perc" versions (due to some bug fix ages ago).

Sent a pull request (tested and "Works On My Machine"): https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/ksp-KerbalLaunchFailure/pull/18

Workaround:

Until this is fixed, when starting a career, after selecting "Easy" or whatever in the main settings, make sure you check the Kerbal Launch Failure settings, they will probably default to the wrong values.

Edited by 610yesnolovely

New release, 0.4.11.2

• Thanks to github user @harveyt for these:
    • Fixed Easy "Exp. Part Failure" from 80% to the more likely 8% (typo?)
    • A previous fix changed from using "Probability/Percentage" to "Prob/Perc" floats without changing the variables in the SetDifficultyPreset() methods.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, BaxterCash said:

Forgot to ask, does this mod support other mods. As in, would this mod support Procedural Control Surfaces or B9 Engines?

If the part uses standard part modules (such as ModuleAnchoredDeoupler, ModuleControlSurface,  CompoundPart,  ModuleEngines or ModuleEnginesFX, then yes.

Regarding the log file, could you turn on the debug flag in the mod (it's on the stock setting page, first column, near the top), and redo the log,  and then make it available on Dropbox, Google Drive or another file sharing site, please.  I couldn't get the KSP.log you posted.  I'd also prefer the Player.log

thx

Edit:  Set the setting "Max altitude of failure" to something close to 0.  This mod only works in atmosphere, and you are essentially saying to only fail at the top of the atmosphere

Edited by linuxgurugamer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.