[1.12.x] Kerbal Launch Failure Revived

linuxgurugamer

4 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

If you have Science after Failure enabled, then yes.  Look at the Flight log for details

I didn't change any settings, so yes its enabled.   It says its set to 50, but looking at the numbers it awarded me with 108.7 points.   

These are the settings I am using, so far I have flown 5 aircraft missions, 4 of them have had part failures during flight.   I just had a failure on this one, and you can see the MET is 5:27, but the max time before fail is 5 min.  Perhaps I don't understand what some of the settings mean?

DIdZfCM.png

I had an engine failing while burning in orbit of Eve. I will look for the logs but I switched to the vessel and started burning for the orbital insertion on Eve when the alarm sounded, prompting me of an imminent engine failure. I get that it's not supposed to happen?

7 minutes ago, evileye.x said:

Hello @linuxgurugamer

For some reason, in my game percentages became 0% so no failures.

Even when I start new game, default percentages for all difficulties is 0%

Worth look into, I guess.

By the way, what default settings supposed to be? :)

make sure you are fully updated.  There is a bug in KSP on the setting screen, sounds like you just ran into it.

1 hour ago, Rock3tman_ said:

Not sure if I have bad luck or the slider in settings is bugged. It seems that I have an underthrust every single launch. Is there a config file I can look at?

Look in the settings, (hit esc, click the settings and then there is another button to click to see the settings for each mod)

1 hour ago, Rock3tman_ said:

Not sure if I have bad luck or the slider in settings is bugged. It seems that I have an underthrust every single launch. Is there a config file I can look at?

I had the same issue, even when I turned the setting to 0. I figured it was a mod conflict. Haven't been able to play enough to test for a bug report, though. Do you, perhaps, use Gravity Turn for launches? 

14 minutes ago, Fobok said:

I had the same issue, even when I turned the setting to 0. I figured it was a mod conflict. Haven't been able to play enough to test for a bug report, though. Do you, perhaps, use Gravity Turn for launches? 

Yes, I do. I think it must be a conflict because I only get an underthrust on every single launch.

Edited by Rock3tman_

My thought was it was Gravity Turn because, if I remember right, on the one rocket I switched over to MechJeb to launch (I needed to get to high altitude fast to open my fairings so I could use the engine on the probe for more of my Delta V), I didn't have the problem. But, I didn't have a chance to test if that was because of the much shorter time in atmosphere, luck of the draw, or an actual mod conflict. Gravity Turn does spend a larger amount of time in atmosphere, and my failures happened, every time, as I was nearing altitude where the mod should stop checking for failures.

On the default settings I get an occasional failure.  Which it shows as 0%.   If I turn it up to 5% then I get a failure virtually every launch.  Its got to be a logic error, not a syntax error cause it does not throw any errors or exceptions that I've seen. 

16 hours ago, eberkain said:

On the default settings I get an occasional failure.  Which it shows as 0%.   If I turn it up to 5% then I get a failure virtually every launch.  Its got to be a logic error, not a syntax error cause it does not throw any errors or exceptions that I've seen. 

Same here. I moved the chance to be 2 and I got failure in like 10 times (then I changed to be 1), I even reloaded few times the start, and it was always in the same engine (3rd stage Swivel) except 2 times (once 1 stage booster, 1 separtaor).

How exactly the chance is calculated, is it like every few seconds or it is decided before lunch if the fail will happen and where?

This is parto of the config file:

KLFCustomParams3
        {
            scienceAtFailure = True
            scienceAdjustment = 10
            timeRandomness = 5
        }
        KLFCustomParams2
        {
            engineUnderthrustProbability = 0.3
            autoAbort = False
            autoAbortDelay = 5
            preFailureWarningTime = 5
            alarmSoundFile = WhoopWhoop
            allowEngineFailures = True
            allowEngineUnderthrust = True
            engineUnderthrustProb = 0.003
            allowRadialDecouplerFailures = True
            allowControlSurfaceFailures = True
            allowStrutFuelFailures = True
        }
        KLFCustomParams
        {
            initialFailureProbability = 1
            expPartFailureProbability = 1
            maxFailureAltitudePercentage = 1
            failurePropagateProbability = 1
            delayBetweenPartFailures = 0.1
            enabled = True
            initialFailureProb = 0.01
            expPartFailureProb = 0.01
            maxFailureAltitudePerc = 0.01
            highlightFailingPart = True
            propagationChanceDecreases = False
            failurePropagateProb = 0.01
            delayBetweenPartFail = 0.001
            minTimeBeforeFailure = 5
            maxTimeBeforeFailure = 300
        }

Ps. I also use Gravity Turn mod. Maybe indeed the issue is long stay in atmosphere and it is not a conflict per-se but the result of the used algorytm/frequency of checking if the failure happened?

Also question - is the calculation done per part which can fail of just for the rocket?

Edited by wrobel-cwirek

I'm going to ask a stupid question so please forgive me if its already been mentioned, but does this mod also work with pure atmospheric flight as well? Been looking to add a little spice into my normal fighter combat test flights to simulate errors in construction or other failures that aircraft would have happen in high stress environments.

Okay, I'm a pretty amateur programmer, having only taken an introduction to programming and a portion of a Unity course on Udemy last year before I got sick. However, looking at the code on GitHub, it appears that the part failure calculation happens only once, with an altitude set at random for each launch that fails. So it's not the length of time in atmosphere, and, I can't see, really, where it's failing every time. Especially when it's often the same altitude and particularly an underthrust. 

@linuxgurugamer hello again!

I'm into planes for now in career, So I noticed - even with 2% initial and 3% exp. failures settings, my control surfaces getting failures. Not a single time engines though.

Also, science gain is somehow bugged. I have set it to minimum and it's 10. But I get something like 100-200 science per failure... Something is wrong. May be Strategia messes things up or maybe it's mod itself.

I would love to have option to disable science gain completely.

Other than that, I'm enjoying the mod, thank you!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.