[1.12.x] Kerbal Launch Failure Revived

linuxgurugamer

If you want to include it, that would be awesome!

http://www.thatsmywebguy.com/shared/warning.png
http://www.thatsmywebguy.com/shared/warning2.png
http://www.thatsmywebguy.com/shared/failed.png

Every time I tried to put the path, it turned into the image. So I dropped it in here as code.

Thanks!

Jamie

Just now, linuxgurugamer said:

Awesome, I'll add them to the next release.  

Cool! I'm glad to have contributed in a small way.

I'd love to do some texture work, but so far, I haven't learned how to use 3D modeling software. I just need to get around to it, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, genericeventhandler said:

Last night I launched three consecutive flights, with three consecutive failures.  At 1% failure rate. 

Something is not working as intended or I need to buy a lottery ticket!

I think something is wrong with chance calculation. 

Possible, but no one replied when it was in beta, and I'm working on something else right now.

I'll take a look at it this weekend if I have time

In the meantime, if you can, please save your game, and run a test to see if it happens.  If it does, send me the saved game along with the exact steps you did to replicate it.

Thanks

Edited by linuxgurugamer

5 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Possible, but no one replied when it was in beta, and I'm working on something else right now.

In the meantime, if you can, please save your game, and run a test to see if it happens.  If it does, send me the saved game along with the exact steps you did to replicate it.

Thanks

Np, if it happens again I will, but I run a LOT of mods on my current game, I don't know how useful it would be.

I reduced the altitude to 20% and the chance to 1% if that helps.

As I said I'm not looking for support, but If it helps I will send you a save and my mod list. 

GEH 

On 29/06/2017 at 6:45 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Thanks

So I've been playing around with this for the last 6 hours,  

I have 3 machines at home,  I've copied the game and saves to all three machines. 

Same ship, same launch parameters via gravity turn. Revert to launch on failure or successful obit.

Machine 1 - Gaming machine and principal - high end gaming machine

Machine 2 - Secondary machine for my Daughter - high end gaming machine

Machine 3 - Work machine -  over spec laptop

Results.

Machine 1 - Every launch results in a failure, no exceptions and it's always the same, thrust loss to mammoth engine

Machine 2 -  4 / 10 launches fail with winglet failure. 

Machine 3 - no detected failures. 

From what I can gather, the unity random generator is not very random. 

-

I've disactivated the mod in my career game, it's obviously linked to my machine and not reproducable by anyone else. 

GEH

1 minute ago, linuxgurugamer said:

It almost seems that the better systems see more failures

Maybe, more cycles more chance for it to fail?

maybe instead of checking on each update you add a real time elapse into the code before checking again. 

And that also means that I need to check the specs of my daughters machine and see what I can upgrade ;-)

----   Added: as I've just seen this in KLF utils,

private static System.Random rng = new System.Random();

this will always give the same random number sequence on any machine. 

you need to seed it to the current clock ticks of the processor. 

Here is a stackoverflow article on how to make random random. 

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/10903613/using-clock-ticks-as-random-number-seed

Hth

GEH

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, checkyostagin said:

In the difficulty settings, what does Exp. Part failure probability mean?

It gives you an increased chance of failure for parts from "Test this part" contracts.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wondering...would it be possible to tie reliability improvements to unlocking parts of the tech tree? if so, you could start the game with a higher failure rate, but have that decrease as more advanced engines are researched. It would be a much simpler model than doing per-part reliability rates but would still simulate improvements in reliability.

Something like this

• Start - 15%
  • Basic Rocketry - 10%
  • General Rocketry - 5%
  • Advanced Rocketry - 3%
  • Heavy Rocketry - 1%
Edited by Tyko

8 hours ago, Tyko said:

Just wondering...would it be possible to tie reliability improvements to unlocking parts of the tech tree? if so, you could start the game with a higher failure rate, but have that decrease as more advanced engines are researched. It would be a much simpler model than doing per-part reliability rates but would still simulate improvements in reliability.

Something like this

• Start - 15%
  • Basic Rocketry - 10%
  • General Rocketry - 5%
  • Advanced Rocketry - 3%
  • Heavy Rocketry - 1%

There are other mods which do this in a better way.

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

There are other mods which do this in a better way.

I've looked at the other options and have found that to be the case. KLF is great because it doesn't create a ton of overhead management. I don't have to take each part and run a bunch of tests on it. I don't have to do inspections, maintenance, etc. It feels very KSP in that it enables players to get a feel for the real issues without burdening them with a lot of grind. Kerbal career and science modes are also about being able to improve through science points. I thought this idea would dovetail nicely :)

Anyway. Thanks for responding. I can still manually change the failure rates in the settings menu

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, notJebKerman said:

Recently on one of my Space Shuttle flights I had a body flap failure over an hour into the mission, at an altitude of 130 km, altough I have max time before failure set to 180 seconds and max altitude of failure to 65%. Is this a known problem?

First i've heard of it.  What other mods are you using?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.