Unfortunately, today Roscosmos is basically a payload delivery company, while NASA and ESA put significant effort in exploration of our Solar system. I bet you cannot name a single Roscosmos space probe that has even left Earth's SOI.

And yep, I'm Russian. I'm proud of our space technology. But this is just reality. Roscosmos doesn't explore space at all. They just deliver payloads to low Earth orbit.

4 minutes ago, T-Red said:

Unfortunately, today Roscosmos is basically a payload delivery company, while NASA and ESA put significant effort in exploration of our Solar system. I bet you cannot name a single Roscosmos space probe that has even left Earth's SOI.

And yep, I'm Russian. I'm proud of our space technology. But this is just reality. Roscosmos doesn't explore space at all. They just deliver payloads to low Earth orbit.

And what about that one that arrived at Mars recently? With the Schiaparelli lander.

2 minutes ago, Veeltch said:

And what about that one that arrived at Mars recently? With the Schiaparelli lander.

It's a joint Roscosmos and ESA mission, and the probe is built by ESA. Roscosmos just provided a launch vehicle and some science equipment.

52 minutes ago, T-Red said:

There are plenty of flags in KSP that are total nonsense, so them not being just like NASA doesn't matter. ESA isn;t much like NASA, either, frankly. So I'm all for a roscosmos flag, and I'm not Russian. I'm sure there are mods that add the flag, BTW.

EDIT: while they're at it, make some parts that are sort of Russian looking (just like the stock rocket parts are only sort of NASA looking).

Edited by tater

12 minutes ago, tater said:

EDIT: while they're at it, make some parts that are sort of Russian looking (just like the stock rocket parts are only sort of NASA looking).

And that is a good idea. Even one or two multi-nozzled rocket engines will be great to see.

1 hour ago, T-Red said:

KSP is not only about exploration, but about orbit supply and engineering too.

Roscosmos deployed one of two existing global satellite navigation systems (GLONASS). It supply the ISS by crew and resources, deliver rocket engines for american Atlas III to help USA launch their probes... if all of this activities are not an "significant efforts", a have nothing to say anymore. 

Add more Russian-like stuff, please!

I'm an American with relevant experience.  There is definitely a bias against Russian aerospace services and products amongst many of us.  It is easy for those of us who commit serious portions of our lives to flying, testing and developing Western aerospace products to view things in the east as underdeveloped, clumsy and buffoonish.  This is an artifact from Cold War and Yeltsin era thinking.  This also allows us to feel more confident in our programs and ourselves and, crucially, muster more support for our various space projects from our respective citizens.

To be fair similar bias exists among Russian aerospace circles.  They view Western programs as automation-dependent, over engineered and risk averse.  Just like the West, these biases hinder Russian aerospace development.  Russian jet engines are unnecessarily unreliable for this day and age, for example.

An example of our respective biases can be found in comments saying the Russian space program is no longer exploring.  Well, to be fair, we can't do much exploring with ISS without getting human payloads to Orbit and, for now, that's the domain of the Russians.  Also, our great lifters use many Russian or Russian-designed motors for their first stages.

Russians fly in space.  They should have Russo-Kerbals that eat green pirogis in space or something.  There is a lot we can learn from the failures and successes of all camps.

First I would suggest exploring Beale's Tantares mod, a hybrid of stock alike and reproduction of many Soviet/Russian space hardware.

Aside from that, NASA and ESA have given their blessings on their inclusion in KSP.  I'm not sure who approached whom, but afaik Roskosmos has given no such blessing.  Neither have China or India who also are or are poised to be major players in the space exploration game.

3 minutes ago, tg626 said:

First I would suggest exploring Beale's Tantares mod, a hybrid of stock alike and reproduction of many Soviet/Russian space hardware.

Aside from that, NASA and ESA have given their blessings on their inclusion in KSP.  I'm not sure who approached whom, but afaik Roskosmos has given no such blessing.  Neither have China or India who also are or are poised to be major players in the space exploration game.

^this

I love the russian space technology, but the Nasa flag became available when they added the Ksp version of the SLS. Not sure about the ESA flags though (I remember it was some publicity thingy).

So unless Roscosmos does something similar, I wouldn't expect to see those flags anytime soon. Then again, I would love to have some genuine russian/soviet parts ingame.

4 hours ago, mythbusters844 said:

This was because KasperVld wasn't able to contact Roscosmos to put their flag in the game with their permission, which he was able to do with NASA and ESA. It has nothing to do with anything political.

6 hours ago, tg626 said:

Aside from that, NASA and ESA have given their blessings on their inclusion in KSP.  I'm not sure who approached whom, but afaik Roskosmos has given no such blessing.

Sounds like a real reason. But, actually,  we are not so crazy about labels and trademarks in Russia, so Roscosmos will never protest against their symbols in one of the most popular space engineering game =)

Anyway law is law, so I can try contact Roscosmos with suggestion to grant  Squad an official permission to use their symbols.

All i need is Squad approving of this action, official proposal letter from SQ to RC, correct email where official answer to be send back and, surely, LUCK.

Edited by Anatoly Nikolaev

5 hours ago, Mikki said:

Squad might ask again, why not? I`m pretty sure they agree.

To be honest with you, I doubt they even care. They'll probably just ignore it.

It won't hurt to try though.

Edited by T-Red

On October 15, 2016 at 7:28 AM, Rocket In My Pocket said:

What's that Russia?

...Did you say something?

Sorry, we couldn't hear you from all the way up here on the friggin' moon. :P

Says a few remaining, geriatric Americans.  

Seriously, though, all these programs have things to be proud of.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.