The Rainbow Cat

alacrity

Ok I have been playing Kerbal a LOOOOONG time, and I have just today run into something that makes me feel like a noob. I just started loading the 1.2 career with it's mods.

Dropped 6-7 mods on there and suddenly I got the rainbow cat. Now I understand that there is somemeaning to this or was... but as I have never gotten it before, my lazy space faring ass never looked into what was the meaning...

Now I have it... and I can't seem to find a single true answer... and some of what I saw scares me a bit.... SOOOO does anyone has the single true answer to what this evil feline means?

Alacrity

28 minutes ago, alacrity said:

Ok I have been playing Kerbal a LOOOOONG time, and I have just today run into something that makes me feel like a noob. I just started loading the 1.2 career with it's mods.

Dropped 6-7 mods on there and suddenly I got the rainbow cat. Now I understand that there is somemeaning to this or was... but as I have never gotten it before, my lazy space faring ass never looked into what was the meaning...

Now I have it... and I can't seem to find a single true answer... and some of what I saw scares me a bit.... SOOOO does anyone has the single true answer to what this evil feline means?

Alacrity

It's caused by module manager because its a prerelease version.  Until sarbian updates module manager to a full release you will have the cyan cat.  It's not scary at all and doesn't harm anything.  It's just a reminder that module manager isn't fully released for 1.2 yet

Edited by Galileo

9 hours ago, Galileo said:

It's just a reminder that module manager isn't fully released for 1.2 yet

There are far less obscure ways of making that clear, without predictably causing many forum threads about it.

2 hours ago, rkman said:

There are far less obscure ways of making that clear, without predictably causing many forum threads about it.

Sure, like "not releasing it until it's ready" but I prefer the Nyan Cat in that case.

On 15/10/2016 at 8:16 AM, rkman said:

Sarbian could put something like "ModuleManager 2.7.1 (1.2 Pre-Release Version)" into the rainbow I guess...

I can't believe something so small is causing such a kerfuffle honestly.

EDIT:

Seems someone doesn't like people linking to their stuff, so just imagine a nyancat-themed "keep calm and..." meme here.

Edited by pxi

1 hour ago, pxi said:

I can't believe something so small is causing such a kerfuffle honestly.

Well I do. And you too have been on the forum long enough to know this could would happen.

Fortunately this childish prank is harmless and doesn't affect gameplay. But still, it has no place in KSP and should not be there.

11 minutes ago, Tex_NL said:

Well I do. And you too have been on the forum long enough to know this could would happen.

This is not untrue, I still find the outcry a little strange however.

11 minutes ago, Tex_NL said:

Fortunately this childish prank is harmless and doesn't affect gameplay. But still, it has no place in KSP and should not be there.

I more see it as bit of whimsy that serves a purpose, even if it conveys what it conveys in an obscure fashion.  This is a game where little green people go to their firey deaths while grinning like loons.  I don't find that nyancat's temporary inclusion in the loading screen via an optional component distracts me too much from that.  In fact I plan to use the -nyan-nyan switch come November as a constant reminder of these events.

Edited by pxi

16 hours ago, Galileo said:

Until sarbian updates module manager to a full release you will have the cyan cat.

Well.. the nyan cat will disable itself on November 1st, if the update still isn't released by that date.

1 hour ago, AdmiralSirJohn said:

Is there a way to disable it BEFORE then?  I have long found Nyan cat to be THE most annoying thing in the entire universe.

Then your life and your universe must be extremely dull ROFL

The poort kitty does it hurtz you :P

1 hour ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Nope, you're either stuck with it or don't use MM

In other words, don't bother playing.

1 hour ago, gary.townsend said:

Then your life and your universe must be extremely dull ROFL

The poort kitty does it hurtz you :P

The fact that it is FORCED upon me with no way of playing this game without it hurts me.  (Completely serious.)

Edited by AdmiralSirJohn

I think it should run across once, and leave a message behind for a few seconds.  It would be less subtle.

Would be cool to have it load up with each major module manager message, though.  (Switch to a Nyan-Jeb or Nyan-Rocket on the final release.)

2 hours ago, AdmiralSirJohn said:

In other words, don't bother playing.

The fact that it is FORCED upon me with no way of playing this game without it hurts me.  (Completely serious.)

How did modulemanager get forced onto your computer?

4 minutes ago, AdmiralSirJohn said:

It is required for most of the addons that make the game playable for me.

None of which are forced on you. If anything the nyan cat and its reactions are a perfect reminder of those who have a feeling of entitlement even after modders have tirelessly create cool things that they are kind enough to share with the world. 

If it bothers you that much you could load up some dev tools (most of which are free), find the cat in the source code, and compile a copy for yourself. 

If that is too hard or too much trouble you can simply thank @sarbian for his dedication to the community and get over it. 

5 hours ago, AdmiralSirJohn said:

Is there a way to disable it BEFORE then?  I have long found Nyan cat to be THE most annoying thing in the entire universe.

Change your system date to be after Nov. 1

I wonder if Sarbian had just put the cat into MM from the beginning, if there would have been an outcry.

Get over it.  It doesn't affect gameplay, it is FREE, you didn't pay money for the cat or ANY mod.  The developer put it there, as is his right.  Your right is to delete it and any mod which requires it.

On 16-10-2016 at 3:25 AM, goldenpsp said:

How did modulemanager get forced onto your computer?

Circumstances being that KSP needs mods and most mods need MM.

Everyone knows that, so why do i even bother telling you?

41 minutes ago, rkman said:

What mods are being forced on anyone? (the operative word being forced as that was the claim from the poster I was replying to).  Who is forcing you to update?  There are plenty of ways to avoid the Nyan cat, that also don't make one look like an entitled....

My gods, people!  It's a few pixels on a screen.

It's not like it shows up during the game or sneaks off the screen and murders your family while you're not looking! 

Not looking?  Hey, there's an idea.  If you don't like it, don't look at it.  Start KSP, and walk out of the room before the Dread Cat of Many Colors has a chance to appear before you in all its soul-stealing glory.  Go do something else.  Get a drink.  Make a snack.  Dress your dog in a funny costume.  Read poems to your guinea pig.  Glue quarters to the sidewalk and laugh when people try to pick them up.  Call your friends.  Call your mom.  Call your friends' moms.  Call my mom, she likes to talk to people.  Shave your head.  Scream loudly to vent your frustration at your now bald mother because you combined the previous suggestions. 

When you hear the music start, walk back to the computer and pretend like the Foul Demon Beast of Nyan was never there.

Edited by razark

3 hours ago, rkman said:

KSP does NOT needs mods, the game is perfectly playable without it.

Mods enhance the game play.  Since mods are not needed/required, I would say that nothing is being forced on you.  You don't like it, then download the source and modify it to not show the cat.

If you can't do that, then shut up and stop complaining like an entitled little boy.  There have been plenty of suggestions as to how to avoid the cat, including mine above, which is to CHANGE YOUR SYSTEM DATE TO AFTER NOVEMBER 1.