If SQUAD added Gas Planet 2 what would you want the moons to be like?

On 10/19/2016 at 7:21 AM, pandaman said:

1.  Binary Moons, called Tweedledum and Tweedledee.

Two small moons of the same size that are only a few Km apart rotating about a barycentre in the gap between them.

2.  Give a large moon a small moon or two of it's own.

Some of these requests are really nice yet can really only happen with mods... Like binary moons and clouds. It would be within Squad's scope to insert an array of co-orbital lesser bodies (like trojan moons?) around a greater body.

On 10/19/2016 at 9:16 AM, Stargate525 said:

I agree with #2, but #1 is impossible with the way they model body gravity. Either they're two separate SOIs, or you have a naked point mass which will wreak havoc with orbits.

For my own part, I want a moon that rotates extremely quickly, like 'just shy of tearing itself into debris' quickly. Bonus if its mass is very high
. I'd love a body where the d/v to land on the pole versus the equater was a 1000 m/s difference.

That sounds like Haumea with  Pluto's mass and 4-hour days. Very good call.

5 hours ago, KerbalKid said:

I Would like more moons than jool and i think it'd be cool for like an ice moon (kinda like minimus) and a titan looking planet

I was thinking... something like 7 moons.  We have Jool-5 already, and Sarnus (OPM) is also 5 moons.

Stuff like:
 - One moon with a really thick atmosphere and low gravity.  Like 120'000 meters at 1/3rd gravity (so Mün/Duna sized).
 - Another one like the  @NovaSilisko Laythe equivalent (volcanic and such).
 - Another with a very eccentric orbit, like it comes inside the closest moons, and extends beyond the furthest moon.
 - I'd like to request a moon very close to the Gas Giant, so half the sky would be taken by GP2, and with an inclination that makes it so we can see the ring almost all the time.  I'd like this spot to be rich in Ore too. 0.25G would be nice.
 - A cratered moon like the Mün (Maybe not as many craters, but maybe 1/3rd the amount, but with 1-2 really huge/deep ones).
 - A small but dense moon (0,65g) with a thin 5k atmosphere, that has Oxygen present? would be weird for jet planes, but could be fun.
 - the final moon should be larger but less dense, maybe 0.5g, with an "Odd rotation" which always show the same "pole" to the Sun no matter where the moon ends-up in it's orbit.  Dunno I possible but would be cool.  Better not land on the dark side. haha.

More than enough things in the universe to make your own, but this would be really awesome.
And OPM could/should be stock... agreed.

Edited by Francois424

10 hours ago, Francois424 said:

I was thinking... something like 7 moons.  We have Jool-5 already, and Sarnus (OPM) is also 5 moons.

Stuff like:
 - One moon with a really thick atmosphere and low gravity.  Like 120'000 meters at 1/3rd gravity (so Mün/Duna sized).
 - Another one like the  @NovaSilisko Laythe equivalent (volcanic and such).
 - Another with a very eccentric orbit, like it comes inside the closest moons, and extends beyond the furthest moon.
 - I'd like to request a moon very close to the Gas Giant, so half the sky would be taken by GP2, and with an inclination that makes it so we can see the ring almost all the time.  I'd like this spot to be rich in Ore too. 0.25G would be nice.
 - A cratered moon like the Mün (Maybe not as many craters, but maybe 1/3rd the amount, but with 1-2 really huge/deep ones).
 - A small but dense moon (0,65g) with a thin 5k atmosphere, that has Oxygen present? would be weird for jet planes, but could be fun.
 - the final moon should be larger but less dense, maybe 0.5g, with an "Odd rotation" which always show the same "pole" to the Sun no matter where the moon ends-up in it's orbit.  Dunno I possible but would be cool.  Better not land on the dark side. haha.

More than enough things in the universe to make your own, but this would be really awesome.
And OPM could/should be stock... agreed.

Maybe this around Neidon?

48 minutes ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Maybe this around Neidon?

or Urlum (Or a new stock gorgeous green-aquamarine, ringed analog.  Uranus is my favorite RL planet afterall). 
But either way it makes an interesting home away from home. (well for colonization series)

On 10/19/2016 at 8:16 AM, Stargate525 said:

I agree with #2, but #1 is impossible with the way they model body gravity. Either they're two separate SOIs, or you have a naked point mass which will wreak havoc with orbits.

For my own part, I want a moon that rotates extremely quickly, like 'just shy of tearing itself into debris' quickly. Bonus if its mass is very high
. I'd love a body where the d/v to land on the pole versus the equater was a 1000 m/s difference.

Why is #1 impossible? Aren't the planets & moons on rails?

There was a mod that had a moon kinda like what you want. It's surface at the equator moved faster than EV, so you had to land near the poles. I can't remember what it was called... It's in one of Scott Manley's videos (which really narrows it down, I know).

4 hours ago, TheOtherDave said:

Why is #1 impossible? Aren't the planets & moons on rails?

Yes, but they don't model multiple-body gravity. In the gravity calculations, there's only the active vessel and the SOI body. this is fine for a single body, but if you have two rotating around each other, that means the center of the SOI is in open space, the center of rotation between the two bodies.

Also, since the SOI is in the middle of open space, you could go THROUGH it with your ship. The slingshot effect of such a thing would net you thousands of dV that shouldn't be available to you.

In KSP, that means you'd orbit that center, despite being closer or further away from one of the moons. Orbiting just one of them would be impossible. There's some trickery you could do with sub-SOIs that would mitigate it, but orbits around something like that in KSP would never work as expected.

Edited by Stargate525

As for the lagrange point idea with small SOIs placed where the lagrange points should be... that means naked singularities... this is very bad.

As its been said before, I want a Titan analogue OPM does this well enough with Tekto. I would not object to including it in stock. I also wouldn't object to a "condensed" solar system (rather than OPM which seems to have each of its added planets being an analogue of our planets, even extending this to many of he moons) which has an "ice giant" as its now common to break the outer planets into 2 gas giants (jupiter and saturn) and 2 ice giants (uranus and neptune) we need ice giant analogues... a set of rings to make it saturn like would be OK too.

On 10/15/2016 at 4:55 AM, panzer1b said:

Honestly the number one thing i dislike with the current planets is the lack of actual unique features.  I know its unlikely we will get that much detail because of performance requirements, but stuff like valleys, hills, cliffs, ect is majorly lacking in the majority of KSP planets.  Take Duna, aside from horrific stock textures, it is just too flatish and lacks any stand out features or anything (yes im spoilded by sci-fi movies but at least give us something to make those low altitude dogfights more sci-fi movie like, trench runs, lots of terrain that you need to dodge). 

Well, it does actually have multiple trenches... filling in the low areas with water makes this very apparent:

Spoiler

Ok, this first one the height map is very slightly modified:

y0yNitv.jpg

Unmodified:

8NeGgo9.jpg

SpdFe2U.png

BnGh9lZ.png

My problem is just that the terrain isn't very detailed...it just feels so small... and its not just because its KSP small scale... the terrain features are huge- from orbit you can see all the detail there is to see. There could be much finer detail and smaller features added to the duna heigh map, but its just a few very large scale features with some random noise to make the terrain bumpy.

As for new planets, id love one more planet with a jet engine capable atmosphere but something completely different from laythe and kerbin, perhaps with lowish gravity like Duna or even Mun and not sure what for terrain. ...  Finally, while i have no expectation of it, id absolutely love something that looks like it was abandoned by aliens or whatnot and contains synthetic constructs ...  The planet would have leftover structures, perhaps post apocaliptic to make the lack of any life plausible ...  Im not saying tons and tons of detail, but something like 2-4 cities on kerbin would be super cool, even if they were very low poly and didnt have much building variety.  Just something to change up the complete lack of synthetic constructs (and while we have easter eggs they are way to minor to count) would really make the game much more enjoyable imo (sadly the mod that lets you do this isnt updated to new versions)...

Well, Kopernicus is updated now, and I'd like to just advertise my mars derived planet.

Jet capable: check

Lowish Gravity: Check (I've got multiple versions of it, ranging from 0.33 to 0.376 G)

Abandonded by aliens/ synthetic constructs/ leftover structures: Check

Spoiler

ZZbV4Q2.png

AsTTCES.png

Rkj3quG.png

bYey5VV.png

"perhaps post apocaliptic to make the lack of any life plausible ... "

Check... sort of, it clearly has life, just not animal life... the apocalypse was slow atmosphere and water loss... simple life tenaciously clings on, but the world is slowly dying

Spoiler

1gpMEVo.png

RVWg6Y2.png

Much of it is barren:

YBuzh9z.png

yet, there are still places where life flourishes:

BeUmAId.png

I've also played around with different atmosphere colors to make it seem more desolate:

bDkLiep.png

yzkfX71.png

ilXchM0.png

The level of detail is a combination of limitations on the resolution of the MOLA data for mars, and KSPs ability to render that data on a world scaled down to a fraction of the size of mars.

Also... at certain viewing distances/lighting conditions (and I think scatterer contributes somehow)... usingthe mars data makes it look pixelated:

Spoiler

The original mars data just with an ocean... something you could use if you want it looking more desolate:

v3vwWTi.png

and without any changes to the heightmap here, just some texture changes and the file changed to a different format so I could edit it to add the "easter eggs" like the pyramids), and using scatterer...

looks not so great in some areas:

8wqyBkD.png

On 15/10/2016 at 7:25 AM, Joonatan1998 said:

I think for gas planet 2 to have a point it would really need rings.

But they would be hard to do without causing melting of computers.

are planet packs really that tough on your system, ive got multiple packs installed on my game plus a megaton of different part packs to boot and my game runs fine.....

11 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

A moon that rotates so the equator is rotating at escape velocity so you can only land on the poles...

And a moon that is entirely ocean except for one gigantic mountain that reaches outside of said moon's atmosphere.

And a moon of a moon.

Escape velocity? such a world would fly apart... I'd have it rotate so that the equator is just under *orbital* velocity.... by like 0.1m/s or so... and make it very "eg shaped"... IIRC the commet that Rosetta landed on had the tow lobes of the comet rotating quite close to orbital velocity.

A water world with only 1 terrain feature? That sounds super boring. People already complain that many bodies are boring and lacking detail. Its hard to get any less detailed than a having 95% of the surface be perfectly smooth and the same texture.

Planets can have more than 1 interesting terrain feature! If you've got an idea for an interesting terrain feature, consider if it could be added to an existing planet. A huge volcano on laythe extending to 30km high should be close enough to vacuum... but I think a mountain that big would look ridiculous... we could go for an olympus mons like feature on Duna, where if it went to ~13km high (~50% higher than the current highest peak on Duna) the air pressure would be below 0.01 atms, and no parachutes would deploy (at least in 1.1, I don't think 1.2 has changed this).

A moon of a moon.... OPM adds this, but I also like to just capture an E class asteroidaround Mun or Minmus :P

On 24. lokakuuta 2016 at 2:28 AM, noobsrtoast said:

are planet packs really that tough on your system, ive got multiple packs installed on my game plus a megaton of different part packs to boot and my game runs fine.....

No, planet packs arent that tough, rings are. (Good ones, at least.)

41 minutes ago, Joonatan1998 said:

Are they just flat textures or does it actually spawn asteroids when you fly into them?

Outer planets is just a flat texture but there is atleast one ring with a moon in it.

7 hours ago, Joonatan1998 said:

Are they just flat textures or does it actually spawn asteroids when you fly into them?

edit: i somehow revived my computer from a fatal startup issue, here we are, the rings are indeed not cool rings, however i am interested now, which mod packs add those kinds of ring systems on planets?

4 hours ago, noobsrtoast said:

edit: i somehow revived my computer from a fatal startup issue, here we are, the rings are indeed not cool rings, however i am interested now, which mod packs add those kinds of ring systems on planets?

I don't think any add the kind of rings I suggested, probably because they would be hard/impoosible to make without being too computer resource intensive.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.