how do you access the debug menu?

neoblackheart

Yes, I am on Win 10 Pro -

I thought perhaps it was an application that I used to manipulate multi PC from one called, "Synergy", but I stopped that service and it still didn't work.

I started a new / fresh vanilla game and still was not able to access the debug menu via ALT+F12

20 minutes ago, neoblackheart said:

Yeah its windows. Windows 10 tried Alt+F12 on every screen with nothing poping up telling me I can do anything. can the debug menu be blocked by mods or something?

Hmm. It might be a conflict with multiple keybindings, maybe? If Alt is assigned to two different tasks in the same scene it might not trigger the one you want.

Or, some more advanced keyboard setups have a "Game Mode" that disables certain key bindings in different programs. If the left Alt isn't working try the right one too. Just throwing out guesses here.

Edited by HvP

• 3 months later...
On 10/15/2016 at 3:21 PM, HvP said:

Hmm. It might be a conflict with multiple keybindings, maybe? If Alt is assigned to two different tasks in the same scene it might not trigger the one you want.

Or, some more advanced keyboard setups have a "Game Mode" that disables certain key bindings in different programs. If the left Alt isn't working try the right one too. Just throwing out guesses here.

For whatever reason.. the option key on the left side won't do it.. for mac hold FN, option on the right side of keyboard, and f12... probably the same issue with other OS too

Is it just the debug menu? Do other operations that require the alt key work?

I have a linux machine here and the right alt key didn't work as it was intended. As it was game-breaking (no fuel transfers), I remapped the alt key to my right shift key.

In order to remap the key, save a backup file of your "settings.cfg" which is placed in your KSP directory. Open the file and search for the line "MODIFIER_KEY". There you can set the corresponding key - my entry now looks like this:

MODIFIER_KEY
{
	primary = RightShift
	secondary = None
	group = 0
	modeMask = -1
	modeMaskSec = -1
}

32 minutes ago, Starman4308 said:

One of the usual culprits is NVIDIA ShadowPlay, which by default remaps alt-F12 to something (screenshots? I forget). Remap that, and alt-F12 should work again... assuming that was the problem in the first place.

Yep, can confirm. Alt+F12 in Windows 10 stopped working for me late last year, and not just in Kerbal. I discovered later that ShadowPlay was installed (without any notice, mind you), deleted that, deleted the NVIDIA GeForce Experience garbage, and everything went back to normal. 

Also - on OS-X, by default the function keys are not function keys, but are instead skip/eject/etc, this why you have to hit Fn+F12. You can change that behaviour in settings. (Assuming you still have function keys. Or an escape key.)

I presume some Windows laptops do the same. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.