[1.9-1.10] Configurable Containers

allista

1 minute ago, allista said:

@Nori (and anyone using Liquid Hydrogen), I need your advice:

LqdHydrogen: USI uses ~4u/L, CryoTanks ~2u/L, KSPIE not checked, but the density given in Community Resource Pack corresponds to 1u/L in real world.

What should I use in your opinion?

I'd say follow cryotanks. Nertea tends to have good realism vs gameplay balance.

USI..  

1) it is the biggest.

2)it is the mod I use

3)make a MM patch that will change it if people want it or do not have USI installed.

basically start off with the biggest one then make a MM patch that will progressively go down the list checking what is installed. 

so: no USI = use cryotanks->  no cryotanks = use CRP -> no CRP = use some default value (which could be anything really).  this way people will have the volume they expect and will not have to edit files.

Edited by Bit Fiddler

4 hours ago, Bit Fiddler said:

USI..

You see, the irony here is that CRP is USI: the same old Bob, who, it seems, cares not for realism or balance; at least not outside his mods :(

And your proposal will, unfortunately, backfire. Imagine: you have USI and CryoTanks; and you have flying ships with LH2 that cary 4 times the amount of it. You've built these ships calculating what you'll need. Then you uninstall USI for some reason, and suddenly, all your ships that have not used a half of LH2 lose the excess. And even if I make changes to leave flying parts untouched (which is not that simple), your ship constructs will be affected.

So obviously I want the TankTypes to be as much immutable as possible.

6 hours ago, Nori said:

I'd say follow cryotanks. Nertea tends to have good realism vs gameplay balance.

Yet manages to squeeze two time the volume of liquid hydrogen possible :D 

The basic problem is, of course, the whole concept of resource "units" introduced by squad instead of measuring resources in liters or m3.

Oh, and KSPIE/IFS use 1.2, which is closest to the real life. And it's at least as big as USI, I'd say.

Oh boy... ;.;

ok.. I suggest a new strategy..  Let the wookie win.

or just split the difference and go with 2 and forget about it.  if anybody complains tell them to edit their config.  or ask Rover Dude what  maybe he is unaware of the issue.

Edited by Bit Fiddler

On ‎21‎.‎10‎.‎2016 at 10:00 PM, allista said:
On ‎21‎.‎10‎.‎2016 at 5:19 PM, Nori said:

Yeah ReplacementParts isn't really needed.

But it appears as a part RESOURCE in many parts? Are you sure?

Iirc that resource is hidden and used as a marker for degradation. The invisible tanks then can be refilled with some "maintenance" action that consumes MaterialKits. So you do not need tanks for ReplacementParts.

12 hours ago, allista said:

You see, the irony here is that CRP is USI: the same old Bob, who, it seems, cares not for realism or balance; at least not outside his mods :(

And your proposal will, unfortunately, backfire. Imagine: you have USI and CryoTanks; and you have flying ships with LH2 that cary 4 times the amount of it. You've built these ships calculating what you'll need. Then you uninstall USI for some reason, and suddenly, all your ships that have not used a half of LH2 lose the excess. And even if I make changes to leave flying parts untouched (which is not that simple), your ship constructs will be affected.

So obviously I want the TankTypes to be as much immutable as possible.

Yet manages to squeeze two time the volume of liquid hydrogen possible :D 

The basic problem is, of course, the whole concept of resource "units" introduced by squad instead of measuring resources in liters or m3.

Oh, and KSPIE/IFS use 1.2, which is closest to the real life. And it's at least as big as USI, I'd say.

Oh boy... ;.;

Like I said, Nertea tries to balance realism and gameplay. His engines and power systems are based on real world near future science, but he changes some numbers for gameplay reasons. For instance, his VASMIR engines have much higher thrust vs real life, but they do have more realistic power and ISP values. Let's be honest, no one wants to sit around for days(real life ones) while their electric engine makes a 2k dv burn.

Anyway, I use NFT and USI stuff and I much prefer NFT balance

Configurable Containers v2.3.0 for KSP 1.2 (2016.10.26)

ChangeLog:

Spoiler
  • Added per-tank volume editing and volume definition in % along with m3.
  • Added support for:
    • Tweak Scale
    • Procedural Parts
    • Parts ++with stock resources++ converted:
      • Stock
      • KW Rocketry
      • Mk2 Expansion
      • Mk3 Expansion
      • SpaceY-Lifters
      • SpaceY-Expanded
      • Fuel Tanks Plus
      • Modular Rocket Systems
      • Standard Propulsion Systems
      • Near Future Propulsion
      • Spherical and Toroidal Tank Pack
    • Supported resources:
      • Stock
      • TAC Life Support
      • Extrapalentary Launchapads
      • Near Future Propulsion
      • All USI
      • Some of KSPIE
  • Different TankTypes can now have different additional mass
  • Added Tank Types:
    • Battery
    • Cryogenic
  • Added Tank Setups:
    • TAC Life Support -- with food, water and oxigen. Made by Bit Fiddler.
    • LH2O -- with Liquid Hydrogen and Oxidizer for CryoEngines.
  • Corrected unit/volume ratios for:
    • Monopropellant
    • Argon Gas
    • Liquid Hydrogen
    • Liquid Methane (which mod uses it?)
    • Karbonite
Edited by allista

Would this work to supplant mods that add "tank"-iness to other parts like nosecones, tail booms or other structural pieces? --I'm thinking primarily for small craft where a Type-B tail connector could be 30% of the plane's size...

Would a MM patch to declare a certain part a tank-container allow CC to take over and do its work?

6 hours ago, allista said:

Configurable Containers v2.3.0 for KSP 1.2 (2016.10.26)

ChangeLog:

Hide contents
  • Added per-tank volume editing and volume definition in % along with m3.
  • Added support for:
    • Tweak Scale
    • Procedural Parts
    • Parts ++with stock resources++ converted:
      • Stock
      • KW Rocketry
      • Mk2 Expansion
      • Mk3 Expansion
      • SpaceY-Lifters
      • SpaceY-Expanded
      • Fuel Tanks Plus
      • Modular Rocket Systems
      • Standard Propulsion Systems
      • Near Future Propulsion
      • Spherical and Toroidal Tank Pack
    • Supported resources:
      • Stock
      • TAC Life Support
      • Extrapalentary Launchapads
      • Near Future Propulsion
      • All USI
      • Some of KSPIE
  • Different TankTypes can now have different additional mass
  • Added Tank Types:
    • Battery
    • Cryogenic
  • Added Tank Setups:
    • TAC Life Support -- with food, water and oxigen. Made by Bit Fiddler.
    • LH2O -- with Liquid Hydrogen and Oxidizer for CryoEngines.
  • Corrected unit/volume ratios for:
    • Monopropellant
    • Argon Gas
    • Liquid Hydrogen
    • Liquid Methane (which mod uses it?)
    • Karbonite

Solid stuff! Thanks for the hard work.

Okay, something is broken, I've updated it and I cant edit tanks, button is not there either also previously edited tanks went to way they were before. I suppose I can revert to previous version of mod, but yeah, not working for me for whatever reason.

2 hours ago, limofs said:

Okay, something is broken, I've updated it and I cant edit tanks, button is not there either also previously edited tanks went to way they were before. I suppose I can revert to previous version of mod, but yeah, not working for me for whatever reason.

Logs, please. Something is probably wrong with the installation.

9 hours ago, Beetlecat said:

Would this work to supplant mods that add "tank"-iness to other parts like nosecones, tail booms or other structural pieces? --I'm thinking primarily for small craft where a Type-B tail connector could be 30% of the plane's size...

Would a MM patch to declare a certain part a tank-container allow CC to take over and do its work?

Yep. You can look at the patches I've added in this version; they're pretty simple.

36 minutes ago, Bit Fiddler said:

hmm I do not see the battery type in the list.  is it a default type or do I need to do something different to use it?  I know i have the newest version as the edit tank function we talked about is here...

No, nothing special, it's stock and it is there in TankTypes.cfg (just downloaded the distributive from SpaceDock). In the end there should be:

TANKTYPE
{
	name = Battery
	UsefulVolumeRatio = 1
	TankCostPerSurface = 0
	TankCostPerVolume = 3055.7749 //batteries
	AddMassPerVolume = 0.1358
	PossibleResources = ElectricCharge 2.716; //cfp
}

There is something wonky with procedural tanks support in the latest version. The capacity doesn't update correctly when changing length/diameter, but if i go to edit tank, click on edit tank volume then click set (without changing anything) it suddenly updates.

Also reverting to VAB seems to bug out tanks and their "edit tank" window becomes empty making it possible to add more stuff (without removing what's already in there).

hmm seems the CKAN install is not working.  I just deleted everything and installed manually.  and it seems to be fine.   so I deleted and reinstalled from CKAN and it is not working again. 

probably nothing you can fix however.  most likely needs to be fixed by CKAN staff.  I will send them a bug report.

2 hours ago, Bit Fiddler said:

hmm seems the CKAN install is not working.  I just deleted everything and installed manually.  and it seems to be fine.   so I deleted and reinstalled from CKAN and it is not working again. 

probably nothing you can fix however.  most likely needs to be fixed by CKAN staff.  I will send them a bug report.

Well, I am in control of my packages' metadata; actually, I've updated it just yesterday. What I cannot influence is when CKAN reprocess updated metadata, or when it gets the new versions. So it's possible that, say, new CC was already available there, while AT_Utils had still the older version. Don't know, really.

4 hours ago, bdew said:

There is something wonky with procedural tanks support in the latest version. The capacity doesn't update correctly when changing length/diameter, but if i go to edit tank, click on edit tank volume then click set (without changing anything) it suddenly updates.

Also reverting to VAB seems to bug out tanks and their "edit tank" window becomes empty making it possible to add more stuff (without removing what's already in there).

Thanks for the report. I was sure I've fixed both issues. Will investigate.

1 hour ago, LIghtning said:

After update game starting spam this message. And now fps is very poor. Im hope this help fix this problem.

Something is wrong with the installation. You're likely missing the ConfigurableContainers/TankTypes.cfg file.

37 minutes ago, bdew said:

Also a random feature request... would it be possible to add a KIS container "tank"?

I'll look into it.

I'm having the same issue as Llightning. Immediately after updating the Configurable Containers Core via CKAN, upon launching the game there's a spam of "No X tank type in the library. Configuration of Y is INVALID" and the contents of all tanks, stock or otherwise, are missing. The game was working immediately before applying this update, so this seems to be the cause.

*UPDATE*

After comparing with the version on Spacedock, my Gamedata/ConfigurableContainers installed by CKAN does not contain either TankConfigs.cfg or TankTypes.cfg.

*UPDATE 2*

Placing TankConfigs.cfg and TankTypes.cfg from the Spacedock release into my ConfigurableContainers folder appears to have solved the problem. My installation appears to be functioning normally now.

Perhaps consider checking if the version uploaded to CKAN is missing these files universally?

Edited by Shalnan
Additional Information

5 hours ago, Murdabenne said:

This sounds like a CKAN issue - please post it there, not here.

No, it's probably not a strict CKAN issue, as I manage my metadata myself. But, when I was updating it I've checked everything.

Anyway, will be checking this out.

12 hours ago, allista said:

No, it's probably not a strict CKAN issue, as I manage my metadata myself. But, when I was updating it I've checked everything.

Anyway, will be checking this out.

This it the same issue I reported on the CKAN thread a few days ago.  My guess is that @allista is right and it hasn't updated yet.  I figured on waiting a week, then retesting the CKAN load.  In the meantime, all that is missing are the 2 root folder CFG files that can be copied manually from the OP install link.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.