[1.9-1.10] Configurable Containers

allista

2 hours ago, Atlas Gaming said:

Love the mod - but it does not work with some modded fuel tanks (which use the standard fuels. I've used module manager for some other things - could you post a sample clip for MM to add use of Config Containers for other mods using MM?

Easy:

And so on: you can find all the patches for all supported mods in https://github.com/allista/ConfigurableContainers/tree/master/GameData/ConfigurableContainers/Parts

And you are very welcome to share your patches here or make a pull request.

9 hours ago, allista said:

And you are very welcome to share your patches here or make a pull request.

Great thanks for the info.. will dig into it... I think you hit 90% of the tanks I have, but there are a few small/unique tanks that seem to stay with only 2 or 3 fuels and do not show your mod button.

Here is an example of a mod tank that has just fixed fuels which I want to modify

Edited by Atlas Gaming

11 hours ago, allista said:

And so on: you can find all the patches for all supported mods in https://github.com/allista/ConfigurableContainers/tree/master/GameData/ConfigurableContainers/Parts

@allista Was looking through the patch list and noticed that MKS was not there.  I know you support the resources from MKS, but I am referring to the tanks themselves, which all use FireSpitter and have to be modified in the .cfg file or via ModuleManager (which I have not successfully figured out how to do yet) if you want to change their contents.  I enjoy your mod so much, but miss it when I am working with MKS tanks (which I use mostly because of the Warehousing module on his stuff which allows for the logistics to work).  Any interest in this or would you point me in the right direction to supplant your mod in place of FS?  Thanks in advance! :)

9 hours ago, SkyPunch said:

PS It appears Spacedock might be back up, as I just updated a couple of Nertea's mods and ATUtils via CKAN.  I did not see any other updates for @allista's other mods though (including this one).  

Because yesterday I was unable to upload any to spacedock and spend some part of the evening musing the possibility of reimplementing the service from scratch :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, TinyHugh said:

Hope localized language support.

Funny, but that's the first localization request for any of my mods, TCA included :0.0:

I'll see how it is implemented technically; then it is up to native speakers to provide translations for their respective languages.

12 hours ago, SkyPunch said:

@allista Was looking through the patch list and noticed that MKS was not there.  I know you support the resources from MKS, but I am referring to the tanks themselves, which all use FireSpitter and have to be modified in the .cfg file or via ModuleManager (which I have not successfully figured out how to do yet) if you want to change their contents.  I enjoy your mod so much, but miss it when I am working with MKS tanks (which I use mostly because of the Warehousing module on his stuff which allows for the logistics to work).  Any interest in this or would you point me in the right direction to supplant your mod in place of FS?  Thanks in advance! :)

MKS tanks (as many other) are not patched simply not to mess with them and especially with their balance. If a mod's author choose to use different resource management mechanism, who am I to argue?

A way to do this properly is to make an MM patch that would be distributed separately. For each thank the patch would have to remove FSFuelSwitch module and add TankManager with appropriate configuration, which has to be figured out from the original FS configuration and from density of resources.

Edited by allista

12 hours ago, allista said:

A way to do this properly is to make an MM patch that would be distributed separately. For each thank the patch would have to remove FSFuelSwitch module and add TankManager with appropriate configuration, which has to be figured out from the original FS configuration and from density of resources.

Sounds pretty extensive and I am a novice at MM, so I don't think I will be attempting that anytime soon.  Thank you so much though for the reply!

8 hours ago, SkyPunch said:

Sounds pretty extensive and I am a novice at MM, so I don't think I will be attempting that anytime soon.  Thank you so much though for the reply!

I have an example of modifying the old OPT parts that used to use FS switcher:

https://github.com/allista/ConfigurableContainers/blob/master/GameData/ConfigurableContainers/Parts/OPT_Patch.cfg

It shows how to automatically calculate the Volume based on the FSFuelSwitch config to be removed.

I got a few tanks that were not getting config working now... I also discovered what appears to be a size problem... 

Using no custom configs, the FX-08 rocomax tanks (squad) shows 360 LF and 440LO... just like in stock... It is the same PHYSICAL size in game as the FL-R25-0750 Mono tank. That fuel tank is 750 units of Monoprop. If I reconfigure the FX-08 to monoprop I get over 1800 units. Now even through the tanks show up the same size in VAB, FX-08 shows as 4.9m3 and FL-R25 shows as 2m tank. Is this a misconfiguration issue? All the other Mono tanks in the game seem to have the same size ratio as the FL-R25... so should the ratio of Mono in other tanks also be revised down? 

It works fine in the game, but definitly gives an 'unfair' preference to taking an LF tank and making it for Mono at 2X the capacity of a similar in-game mono tank.

What do you think?

4 hours ago, Atlas Gaming said:

I got a few tanks that were not getting config working now... I also discovered what appears to be a size problem... 

Using no custom configs, the FX-08 rocomax tanks (squad) shows 360 LF and 440LO... just like in stock... It is the same PHYSICAL size in game as the FL-R25-0750 Mono tank. That fuel tank is 750 units of Monoprop. If I reconfigure the FX-08 to monoprop I get over 1800 units. Now even through the tanks show up the same size in VAB, FX-08 shows as 4.9m3 and FL-R25 shows as 2m tank. Is this a misconfiguration issue? All the other Mono tanks in the game seem to have the same size ratio as the FL-R25... so should the ratio of Mono in other tanks also be revised down? 

It works fine in the game, but definitly gives an 'unfair' preference to taking an LF tank and making it for Mono at 2X the capacity of a similar in-game mono tank.

What do you think?

The reason is that squad did not consider physical volume of the parts at all when they balanced the tanks. Instead, they used constant fuel-mass/tank-mass ratio, thus ensuring that all the tanks with the same propellant type were essentially the same. They also made LFO considerably more "efficient" by nerfing that ratio for the monopropellant; which is the same as to say that they used much less of the volume of the respective parts to store monopropellant, than to store LFO.

In fact, LFO stock tanks also use much less volume than they should.

So yes, I'd say this is misconfiguration, or rather bad design on the squad's part. But what can I do? The patched parts have to have the same amounts of the original resources.

Gamewise, the difference you see should be considered as the peculiarity of the construction of a part; yes, this creates preferences, but what shouldn't it?

11 hours ago, dan1ell1ma said:

Hello, nice mod. The spheric tanks of restock + are not suported?

Not sure; are that new?

Here's the full list of autogenerated patches that are currently included in the distribution:

https://github.com/allista/ConfigurableContainers/tree/master/GameData/ConfigurableContainers/Parts

If something's missing, please do tell, I'll add them.

On 5/17/2020 at 3:17 AM, allista said:

Not sure; are that new?

Here's the full list of autogenerated patches that are currently included in the distribution:

https://github.com/allista/ConfigurableContainers/tree/master/GameData/ConfigurableContainers/Parts

If something's missing, please do tell, I'll add them.

Hello! Thanks for your support. 

This is the list of all restock plus that are not a Making History retex. New parts only. 

Kerbodyne S3-3600 Nosecone Tank (Nertea): A 3.75m fuelled nosecone

Kerbodyne S3-1800 Tank (Nertea): A compact size 3.75m tank

Oscar-C Fuel Tank (Nertea): A 2x Oscar-B size tank

Oscar-D Fuel Tank (Nertea): A 4x Oscar-B size tank

Oscar-E Fuel Tank (Nertea): A 8x Oscar-B size tank

FL-S1 RCS Fuel Tank (Nertea): 3.75m monopropellant tank

Oscar-A Liquid Fuel Tank (Nertea): 0.625m half Oscar-B tank (White and Metallic variants)

PRBE-9 Liquid Fuel Tank (Nertea): 0.625m exposed probe-style tank (long)

PRBE-4 Liquid Fuel Tank (Nertea): 0.625m exposed probe-style tank

Oscar-O Hemispherical Liquid Fuel Tank (Nertea): 0.625m hemispherical fuel tank (White and Metallic variants)

FL-T100-R Hemispherical Liquid Fuel Tank (Nertea): 1.25m hemispherical fuel tank (White, Dark, Dark Grey/Orange and Metallic variants)

FL-TX220-R Hemispherical Liquid Fuel Tank (Nertea): 1.875m hemispherical fuel tank (White, Dark Grey/Orange and Metallic variants)

Rockomax X-200-R Hemispherical Liquid Fuel Tank (Nertea): 2.5m hemispherical fuel tank (White, Orange and Metallic variants)

Kerbodyne S3-1800R Hemispherical Liquid Fuel Tank (Nertea): 3.75m hemispherical fuel tank (White and Orange variants)

Edited by dan1ell1ma
Grammar.

This mod is all I ever wanted! nice work! Only one question. I understand and read the discussion about density, how units of different propellents are equivalent to different volumes and it's only fair to guide by those models. Bout I and many players are used to the "units" of fuel, lox, monopropellant, xenon. Is it possible to have the interface to show in units, but still respecting the volume rule? I really don't care about mixing monoprop or Xe with fuel, I mostly want to tweak the fuel/lox ratio for spaceplanes or nuclear ships. Maybe in the mod interface have a slider or volume/volume percentage display while also showing the final number of "units" of each propellent in the tank? Most annoyingly, the VAB interface has changed and even for stock tanks, when picking parts, units are not shown anymore, only a bunch of strange numbers I don't know what they are. It would be great to have the normal displaying of tank information back. That's my suggestion. Thank you very much!

13 hours ago, dronkit said:

This mod is all I ever wanted! nice work! Only one question. I understand and read the discussion about density, how units of different propellents are equivalent to different volumes and it's only fair to guide by those models. Bout I and many players are used to the "units" of fuel, lox, monopropellant, xenon. Is it possible to have the interface to show in units, but still respecting the volume rule? I really don't care about mixing monoprop or Xe with fuel, I mostly want to tweak the fuel/lox ratio for spaceplanes or nuclear ships. Maybe in the mod interface have a slider or volume/volume percentage display while also showing the final number of "units" of each propellent in the tank? Most annoyingly, the VAB interface has changed and even for stock tanks, when picking parts, units are not shown anymore, only a bunch of strange numbers I don't know what they are. It would be great to have the normal displaying of tank information back. That's my suggestion. Thank you very much!

Noted. Here's the issue for you to track
https://github.com/allista/ConfigurableContainers/issues/36

I feel like I might be being stupid here - how is the Save Configuration feature in the compound tank UI supposed to work? I set up a tank how I'd like, give it a name, then click save, and nothing seems to happen. The configuration seems to go into a list of saved configs, but there doesn't seem to be any way to then actually apply the configuration to a tank. Am I missing something?

8 hours ago, QuantumJump said:

I feel like I might be being stupid here - how is the Save Configuration feature in the compound tank UI supposed to work? I set up a tank how I'd like, give it a name, then click save, and nothing seems to happen. The configuration seems to go into a list of saved configs, but there doesn't seem to be any way to then actually apply the configuration to a tank. Am I missing something?

It should be available in the selector of tank types under the given name; select it, choose the total volume, click add, and this volume will be distributed among the tanks you've configured proportionally.

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to add a resource to configurable containers for a mod I have installed. How can I get this resource to be recognized by CC?

RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
	name = HyperPlutonium
	displayName = HyperPlutonium
	abbreviation = HprPlt
	density = 0.01097000000
	unitCost = 520.0000000
	isTweakable = true
    isVisible = true
	flowMode = ALL_VESSEL
	transfer = PUMP
	volume = 1
}

5 hours ago, KIMCHI said:

I would like to add a resource to configurable containers for a mod I have installed. How can I get this resource to be recognized by CC?

RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
	name = HyperPlutonium
	displayName = HyperPlutonium
	abbreviation = HprPlt
	density = 0.01097000000
	unitCost = 520.0000000
	isTweakable = true
    isVisible = true
	flowMode = ALL_VESSEL
	transfer = PUMP
	volume = 1
}

The best way would be to add it to one of the existing tank types via MM patch, like it is done with all other resources:

https://github.com/allista/ConfigurableContainers/blob/master/GameData/ConfigurableContainers/TankTypes.cfg

Like this

@TANKTYPE[Radioactives]:NEEDS[ThisModOfYours]
{ @PossibleResources ^= :$:  HyperPlutonioum 1;: }

Note the "1" -- units/L value -- in this patch. This unit-density may be not what you want.

It's better to calculate the "real" density from the original parts that hold this resource (note, that density in the RESOURCE_DEFINITION is in t/unit).

This patch may be anywhere, but I would gladly add it to CC if you share it.

1 hour ago, allista said:

The best way would be to add it to one of the existing tank types via MM patch, like it is done with all other resources:

https://github.com/allista/ConfigurableContainers/blob/master/GameData/ConfigurableContainers/TankTypes.cfg

Like this

@TANKTYPE[Radioactives]:NEEDS[ThisModOfYours]
{ @PossibleResources ^= :$:  HyperPlutonioum 1;: }

Note the "1" -- units/L value -- in this patch. This unit-density may be not what you want.

It's better to calculate the "real" density from the original parts that hold this resource (note, that density in the RESOURCE_DEFINITION is in t/unit).

This patch may be anywhere, but I would gladly add it to CC if you share it.

I found the tank definition it has the amount as 1200 and a mass of 5.7. I don't see any other units.

!

BTW, thanks for the help!!!! I've seen a few people asking for help on this with out fuel switches but we've received no leads!

1 hour ago, KIMCHI said:

I found the tank definition it has the amount as 1200 and a mass of 5.7. I don't see any other units

This is the dry mass of the part, of no concern to us.

What is needed is a way to estimate the volume that is used to store these 1200 units.

I usually use Blender with the io_object_mu and 3D-printing plugins to calculate exact volume of a part, then decide on the thickness of the walls and such.

In other words, a fuel tank of comparable dimensions to that part should store approximately the same amount on units.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.