[1.9-1.10] Configurable Containers

allista

8 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

@allista can you point me to instructions  on how to add a new resource to this mod?

Basically you just patch an existing tanks type, or create a new one wherever you want. Here's the current configuration with all tank types and their patches:

https://github.com/allista/AT_Utils/blob/master/GameData/000_AT_Utils/TankTypes.cfg

But you can add new types and patches in any .cfg file in GameData. Or you can PR your changes to this file :)

2 hours ago, allista said:

Because there's no more CORE -- it is merged into AT_Utils.

there is for 1.9.1 and i needed to have it otherwise my game didn't work, took me ages to figure out i have to go to compatability with 1.8.1 and get the core for it to work

57 minutes ago, Joshuawood said:

there is for 1.9.1 and i needed to have it otherwise my game didn't work, took me ages to figure out i have to go to compatability with 1.8.1 and get the core for it to work

It was merged 3 releases ago, at 2.5.0 for KSP-1.9.1

Why do you need it now? :confused:

I'm any case, CKAN is just on of the ways to install things. If for some reason it isn't working for you at the moment, you can always install from Spacedock.

On 8/12/2020 at 2:24 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

@allista can you point me to instructions  on how to add a new resource to this mod?

If it helps to have an example, I added the resources from Progressive Colonization Systems to CC. You can find the files on my github.

Edited by BigFatStupidHead

Am I right in understanding that compatibility between this and other mods (as well as Stock) is purely via specirfic patches with each part specified separately?

Would it be possible to write a generic patch that automatically patches any and all tanks to use Configurable Containers? Are there reasons that that would be a really terrible idea? Am just looking at patching some mods I use that aren't already compatible (Tantares particularly) and looking for lazy shortcuts lol.

4 hours ago, baldamundo said:

Am I right in understanding that compatibility between this and other mods (as well as Stock) is purely via specirfic patches with each part specified separately?

That is correct.

4 hours ago, baldamundo said:

Would it be possible to write a generic patch that automatically patches any and all tanks to use Configurable Containers? Are there reasons that that would be a really terrible idea? Am just looking at patching some mods I use that aren't already compatible (Tantares particularly) and looking for lazy shortcuts

There were some attempts to do so (you may look for patches in this thread), but there are two difficulties:

First, there's no trivial way to patch "any part with arbitrary set of resources", because you need to figure it's equivalent volume in m3 using conversion rates as defined in TankTypes:

https://github.com/allista/AT_Utils/blob/master/GameData/000_AT_Utils/TankTypes.cfg

I myself do it by means of a somewhat lengthy python script based an a config file parsing library; that is I parse part and tank configs perform some calculations and compile a patch:

https://github.com/allista/ConfigurableContainers/blob/master/PatchContainers.py

I don't know if this could be done by some MM kung-fu. Maybe.

But in principle this may be done directly in KSP by moving these calculations into part modules and mass-patching parts that have resources. Actually, I'll consider this.

But second, there's the issue of compatibility with the other resource switching mods. By manually curating patches I can avoid many game-breaking conflicts, where two parts are patched by two mods at once.

I'll check what Tantares uses. Parts with plain resources could be easily converted. But I suspect they used B9PS as everyone else. In that case the patches would have to be written by hand, and by someone on their team, so as not to upset the TWR balance they maintain.

14 hours ago, baldamundo said:

Would it be possible to write a generic patch that automatically patches any and all tanks to use Configurable Containers? Are there reasons that that would be a really terrible idea? Am just looking at patching some mods I use that aren't already compatible (Tantares particularly) and looking for lazy shortcuts lol.

Looked at Tantares+LV. I'll do the patches and include them in the next release.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm  not sure if this is a bug in your mod @allista, a weird mod interaction, or something else. But I'm having some major slowdowns when I am working with ConfigurableContainer parts. Especially if I try to do symmetry. It more or less locks up for a 10+ seconds. The tank type I'm using is a Cryo for a cryo engine. If I use a cryo tank that doesn't use configurablecontainer there is no slowdown at all.

One thing that gets spammed is: [LOG 20:53:14.224] [PartSet]: Failed to add Resource -1154601244 to Simulation PartSet:1246 as corresponding Part FL-T100 Fuel Tank-3420459039 SimulationResource was not found.

Also had a bunch of these on loading a relatively simple craft (maybe 60 parts including a hanger):

[WRN 20:47:24.051] [Part]: PartModule ModuleSwitchableTank at fuelTankSmall, index 3: index exceeds module count as defined in cfg.
Looking for ModuleSwitchableTank in other indices...

I started trying to eliminate mods to see what the issue is, but I'm really not sure where to start.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lm5djbx3vk1bch0/Kerbal Space Program.zip?dl=0

In anycase, thank you for your mods! I always use all of yours when I play and I have fond memories of using Hangar to launch entire RT2 systems in one go.

Edited by Nori

• 3 weeks later...

I tried using a regular fuel tank to transport Enriched Uranium to a reactor that is needing some, however there is no way to transfer it there. I know it works if i use a nuclear container and if i eva a level 3 engeneer.

Is there a trick to using regular tanks with CC for transporting radioactives or am i limited to the specialy designed tanks for nuclears?

I'm using the USi and interstellar mods.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I'm having some difficulty getting the mod to work after updating to 1.9.1.  I've used multiple different versions of the mod that were available on CKAN and listed as compatible with 1.9.1.  The UI doesn't seem to show the existing resources within any of the fuel tanks, and as such won't let me add new ones since the tanks are already at capacity.  I'm not sure if it's something I'm doing wrong, or if it's a conflict with another mod, or if the installation was just bad.  Here's a screenshot of what it looks like.  Any and all help would be much appreciated.

Screenshot

Edit:  figured it out.  I rolled AT Utils back to a 1.9 compatible version and now everything works.  Disregard this.

Edited by EnfieldOneOne

• 2 weeks later...

I need help, I'm using realfuels and when searching in the options of a tank, but i don't see any "edit tanks" button, and In CKAN I read that realfuels and configurable containers collide and don't work together.

Sorry, forgot to say that I'm using 1.8.1

Edited by Felipeg2008

I had the same no resources issue - need to make sure the AT Utils is the same as the current CC mod.  Im on 1.9, rolling back after 1.10, and its a mess. (Im chasing Kopernikus/OPM). Plus almost all Roverdude's stuff (that I  use) is NOT marked for anything past 1.8.9 so I'm in a bad spot. 

Edited by Murdabenne

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just installed https://github.com/tomasbrod/LiteFuels and see that the 'real fuels' that it uses are not in the options for ConCon.  I'd love to make a patch to do this, but lack the required skill.  That mod seems to convert fuels to the 'real world' names and ISPs. But it only patches the default rockets - and ConCon also modifies them.

Anyone else already done a patch? I left that author a question about patches for ConCon as well.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/15/2016 at 3:21 PM, allista said:

provides the SwitchableTank module that allows for creation of container parts for predefined sets of resources switchable in-flight. Sets are configured in a separate .cfg file and are intended to contain similar things like gases (one set), liquid chemicals (another) and so on.

Another module Configurable Containers provide is the TankManager which enables in-editor partitioning of a container, effectively converting it into a set of independent SwitchableTanks.

@allista Do you calculate the actual size of a tank, or do you take it from the initial configuration?

Something is extremely fishy in KSP 1.11...

See also screenshots:

* configure a tank with an expensive resource. (Vessel price with FLT400 full of rare metals would be >300.000 kredits)

* empty the tank. vessel will cost a few bucks

* launch vessel, immediately recover from launchpad. I get a negative refund, effectively I have to "pay" for over 300k in "missing" rare metals...!! what! :)

Actually, I am not even sure that is related to Configurable Containers - seems more like a KSP bug.

Anyone can confirm/having seen that?

14 hours ago, TheDog said:

Something is extremely fishy in KSP 1.11...

[...]I am not even sure that is related to Configurable Containers - seems more like a KSP bug.

Anyone can confirm/having seen that?

More observations and more weirdness:

1. Stock install (no configurable containers): Rockomax X32, LFO, resources emptied before launch, launc+immediate recovery: ->The recovery funds are 100% correct

2. With Configurable Containers (otherwise just stock): Rockomax X32,  100% as LFO tank, resources emptied before launch, launc+immediate recovery: ->The recovery funds are 100% correct

3. With Configurable Containers (otherwise just stock): Rockomax X32, 100% as MonoProp tank, resources emptied before launch, launc+immediate recovery: ->The recovery funds are incorrect (negative value for the tank)

Hence:

* not quite a pure stock problem

* not related to CRP or custom resources

* related to tanks being re-configured by CC to another tank type other than the original tank. I guess this effect is reproducible with B9PartSwitch, FireSpitter or IFS, but havent done that (yet) [UPDATE: confirmed it also happens with IFS]

Edited by TheDog
confirmed IFS also affected

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.