[WIP] [1.2] Water Expansion

This is quite the WIP, but it is already starting to (slightly) come together.  Pretty much what this hopes to do is add an expansion to water physics in terms of pressure, engines, etc.

What I have so far:

Pressure effects:

Water pressure on parts with the PressureLimit module will be calculated in Pascals, and if it is above the maximum pressure, it goes boom.  So far the PressureLimit module is mostly finished, though it needs to be added to a Module Manager patch and ballanced.

I'm planning to add effects on engines to prevent most of them from working properly under water, specific water ones will be added.

Different planets have different densities of liquids, and therefore different amounts of pressure.  Kerbin's water is given the density of regular fresh water, Laythe has sea water, and Eve is assumed to be mercury, so just about anything that goes under the surface of eve will be destroyed.

Note: because this is still in early development, details are likely to often change.

Edited by Guest

OK, so no early release yet, I'm still adding all of the ModuleManager patches, etc, however I now have it on GitHub if you want to see what has been done so far.  

I've also made it so the pressure affects kerbals, and can kill them.  Pressure effects are also toggled with the "no crash damage" cheat.

Up next: engines.

Edited by Guest

9 hours ago, CliftonM said:

OK, so no early release yet, I'm still adding all of the ModuleManager patches, etc, however I now have it on GitHub if you want to see what has been done so far.  https://github.com/CliftonMarien/KSPWaterExpansion/

I've also made it so the pressure affects kerbals, and can kill them.  Pressure effects are also toggled with the "no crash damage" cheat.

Up next: engines.

Just discovered this!!!

Why has noone else commented this is such an awesome idea.

Goodluck and hope you don't need it :D

btw by engines do you mean new engines or special new mechanics for stock ones?

13 hours ago, BT Industries said:

Just discovered this!!!

Why has noone else commented this is such an awesome idea.

Goodluck and hope you don't need it :D

Thanks!

13 hours ago, BT Industries said:

btw by engines do you mean new engines or special new mechanics for stock ones?

I will be adding new mechanics to stock engines, though some engines specifically for water will likely be added.

5 minutes ago, CliftonM said:

Yes, stock-alike.

Yay, some proper stock-alike boat parts to go with the new physics!!

I love anything which makes kso a better creation simulator and water physics (even after they improved it) is something that has been missing.

I'm so hyped for this, wish I knew how to code then I might be of use.

EDIT:

I suppose my enthusiasm does help you in a way :D

Edited by BT Industries

So I was going through the difficulty settings, and I found an option to allow part pressure limits.  I'm going to see what I can do with that, as it probably has higher potential for added features.

Re the engines, what are you thinking, a specific module?  I already produce and use solely propeller type drives for SM Marine and Large Boat Parts, so no underwater rocket engines for me at least.  As the owner operator of a couple of marine mods i too would be most interested in a preview testing version,  subs also available for testing.

3 hours ago, CliftonM said:

So I was going through the difficulty settings, and I found an option to allow part pressure limits.  I'm going to see what I can do with that, as it probably has higher potential for added features.

Oh cool!!!

That's one part done for you then...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.