Schneider cup challenge

I was looking around on google and i saw some very futuristic seaplanes, after further examination,

I found out these were concepts for the schneider cup contest.

My challenge to you is to create a seaplane that can go around the "Manley air race course" then once you get to the end of the course, go through the first gate again, and land the plane on the water without losing any parts

extra Kudos for doing it all stock

Scoring is based on mission time-clock-thing, also it has to take off from water and land on the island runway or some sort of aircraft carrier

Edited by chadgaskerman
more general stupidity

First, you're going to need a scoring system.  I'd suggest using the lap time.  You also might want to consider adding a condition that the aircraft has to also be able to take off from water.

Second, as a college senior majoring in aerospace engineering, I'd like to point out that the designs (see examples below) were developed by car designers who "let their imagination run wild".  http://speedbirds.free.fr/Com/store/achat.html  http://www.yankodesign.com/2009/05/23/schneider-cup-dreams/  They look amazing, but just are not practical, or in some cases, even flyable.

Not to bash on your idea - I love the thought of more Schneider Cup races - I just have a personal pet peeve about concept art designed by non-aerospace engineers, and presented in a way that implies that it is a viable concept.

001.jpg

003.jpg

a4266505-217-pegna02.jpg

a4266504-167-page05.jpg

Edited by rocketengineer1982
Accidentally hit "post"

1 hour ago, rocketengineer1982 said:

First, you're going to need a scoring system.  I'd suggest using the lap time.  You also might want to consider adding a condition that the aircraft has to also be able to take off from water.

Yeah, I'll do it from the mission time clock hopefully that should give people somewhere to go from.

I understand that most concepts aren't very viable but i did make a replica of that Lockheed XFR-S which i'm quite proud of as it is my first seaplanep5TEiiG.jpg 

P.S this gonna be my entry for the cup

Edited by chadgaskerman

4 hours ago, rocketengineer1982 said:

Second, as a college senior majoring in aerospace engineering, I'd like to point out that the designs (see examples below) were developed by car designers who "let their imagination run wild".  http://speedbirds.free.fr/Com/store/achat.html  http://www.yankodesign.com/2009/05/23/schneider-cup-dreams/  They look amazing, but just are not practical, or in some cases, even flyable.

Not to bash on your idea - I love the thought of more Schneider Cup races - I just have a personal pet peeve about concept art designed by non-aerospace engineers, and presented in a way that implies that it is a viable concept.

001.jpg

003.jpg

a4266505-217-pegna02.jpg

a4266504-167-page05.jpg

Contrary to real world physics, you can make anything flyable in stock KSP. Especially the Supermarine.

On 10/16/2016 at 9:10 PM, chadgaskerman said:

once you get to the end of the course, go through the first gate again, and land the plane on the water without losing any parts

also it has to take off from water and land on kerra firma

This is more than a little ambiguous.. some clarification needed, please.

On 10/16/2016 at 4:45 PM, Azimech said:

Contrary to real world physics, you can make anything flyable in stock KSP. Especially the Supermarine.

Reaction control wheels!

2 hours ago, JAFO said:

This is more than a little ambiguous.. some clarification needed, please.

Pretty sure that it means the aircraft has to be amphibious.

1. Take off from the runway
  2. Fly through the course
  3. Land on the water at the end of the runway
  4. Take off from the water and land back on the runway.

On 10/16/2016 at 6:10 AM, chadgaskerman said:

I was looking around on google and i saw some very futuristic seaplanes, after further examination,

I found out these were concepts for the schneider cup contest.

My challenge to you is to create a seaplane that can go around the "Manley air race course" then once you get to the end of the course, go through the first gate again, and land the plane on the water without losing any parts

extra Kudos for doing it all stock

Scoring is based on mission time-clock-thing, also it has to take off from water and land on kerra firma

I'd suggest requiring a screenshot when passing through the final gate.  Screenshots passing through each gate would be nice, but it might be impractical unless you can remap the screenshot button to a joystick button.  Pounding "Print Screen" while trying to fly a course at high speed can be quite difficult.  Alternatively, a screencast uploaded on YouTube would work as well - provided the mission time is legible.

4 hours ago, rocketengineer1982 said:

Reaction control wheels!

No, I only allow the original for use on carriers for moving on the decks. :wink:

Edit ... maybe I should clarify. The planes do rollerskating.

Edited by Azimech

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.