[1.12.x] FTL Drive Continued

linuxgurugamer

On 10/20/2017 at 5:13 PM, bice said:

hi

This mod is great! 

I'm having an issue. If you have an object nearby and jump, the object is the one that jumps. No errors. Simply the spaceship shows the animation but stays, and the other  jumps to the destination. My Minmus space station is now orbiting Duna...:confused:

anyone having the same issue?

Sounds like you have the modules reversed

8 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Sounds like you have the modules reversed

Which modules?

I have FTL beacons orbiting all the planets in the kerbol system. If I jump from one to another I need to be far enough to not send the beacon to my destination. But if the beacon is "unloaded" (more than 2.4Km) everything works right. I want to know if somebody has the same problem or maybe is an interaction with another mod.

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, RazorFang95 said:

The beacon and jump ship were parked right at the edge of the SOI, Laythe for the beacon and Kerbin for the jump ship. 

It's possible that Laythe's safe limit is outside of its SOI due to its SOI being compressed by its proximity to Jool.

Just now, linuxgurugamer said:

No simple way, but when you right-click the FTL Drive, it shows you the success probability of the jump.  There is also an FTL Analysis report button which gives you more information

Ahh, that explains it. I've only got about a 5.6 success probability on that beacon. Oh well, plan b. To park a beacon at the edge of Jool's SOI and just build USI bases on the outer moons. Sorry for bugging you. 

1 hour ago, RazorFang95 said:

Ahh, that explains it. I've only got about a 5.6 success probability on that beacon. Oh well, plan b. To park a beacon at the edge of Jool's SOI and just build USI bases on the outer moons. Sorry for bugging you. 

Can you use the beacon if you place it co-orbital with Laythe? Or (a pair of beacons) between Laythe and Vall SMA? Would it be safe to use there?

• 4 weeks later...

The mod is great, but I think few things could be polished. I might implement these changes myself if you like, if you would agree to merge them. 

- menu is cluttered, I would remove "activate/deactivate" and "report" menus and only leave "select next" and "jump". 

- all important information should be moved to part menu (out of report window) and be displayed always (get rid of activate menu)

- its too easy to obtain these part, I would move them from Specialized Control (160 science to unlock?) to some 1000+ sc rocketry category.

- maybe ask Community TechTree to create a new category for FTL?

- spit time is too short for largest drive (8 seks), should be linearly proportional to other drives

2 hours ago, agrock said:

The mod is great, but I think few things could be polished. I might implement these changes myself if you like, if you would agree to merge them. 

- menu is cluttered, I would remove "activate/deactivate" and "report" menus and only leave "select next" and "jump". 

- all important information should be moved to part menu (out of report window) and be displayed always (get rid of activate menu)

- its too easy to obtain these part, I would move them from Specialized Control (160 science to unlock?) to some 1000+ sc rocketry category.

- maybe ask Community TechTree to create a new category for FTL?

- spit time is too short for largest drive (8 seks), should be linearly proportional to other drives

Do them as a set of individual PRs, some are good, but not sure about all:

The mod has built-in difficulty, by having to get the parts there.  This mod is used by one or more streamers, and making it harder to unlock would hurt them.  If you like, make a MM patch for the category, and either configure PatchManager to work with it or I can do that

CTT needs at least two mods before it puts in a new node

Not sure what you mean by "spit", if you mean spinup, then remember it's a game, and having it take too long would be unnecessary delay.

@linuxgurugamer  I noticed there is something like 8 drvies in the source, but only 3 are unlockable in game. Could you shed some light why that is? Would you like me to fix them and make available in game? I was thinking of adding a new part, just having the meshes of 3x 2500KN combined. Larger drives are needed for larger ships because putting 10 FTL drives is just not part-count efficient. 

7 minutes ago, agrock said:

@linuxgurugamer  I noticed there is something like 8 drvies in the source, but only 3 are unlockable in game. Could you shed some light why that is? Would you like me to fix them and make available in game? I was thinking of adding a new part, just having the meshes of 3x 2500KN combined. Larger drives are needed for larger ships because putting 10 FTL drives is just not part-count efficient. 

Please don't. (enable the other drives).  I suppose I should remove them, but they are the old models, which were replaced by the current models.

Define "larger ships".  FTL is supposed to be difficult

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Please don't. (enable the other drives).  I suppose I should remove them, but they are the old models, which were replaced by the current models.

Then I will check what they are and remove them with consideration. 

@linuxgurugamer 

Is it really that important to support ancient crafts?

How about we move the drives to  both High Energy physics and Applied High Energy Physics? They cost I think 2000+ sc to unlock. Would be appropriate for career mode. Youtubers I think use usually sandbox mode. Would also be consistent with Alcubierre mod and ESLD mod. 

6 hours ago, agrock said:

@linuxgurugamer 

Is it really that important to support ancient crafts?

It doesn't cost anything, so yes.

6 hours ago, agrock said:

How about we move the drives to  both High Energy physics and Applied High Energy Physics? They cost I think 2000+ sc to unlock. Would be appropriate for career mode. Youtubers I think use usually sandbox mode. Would also be consistent with Alcubierre mod and ESLD mod

Most of the Twitch streamers I know of use career mode.

Specialized Control is rather low, I agree.

Currently there are the following parts, and what I'm suggesting:

Part Name Tech Required Proposed Stock Tech  Proposed CCT Tech 
ftlContBcnPlus FTL Beacon Plus specializedControl Specialized Electrics High Energy Science

advancedFTLdriveS1 650iN Advanced FTL Drive specializedControl Advanced Science Tech Applied High Energy Physics
advancedFTLdriveMk2 720iN Advanced FTL Drive specializedControl Advanced Science Tech Applied High Energy Physics
advancedFTLdriveS2 2500iN Advanced FTL Drive specializedControl Experimental Science Ultra High Energy Physics

However, don't change the existing files, do this (or whatever you suggest regarding the tech trees) as a MM patch, so that the patch can be deleted if not wanted.  Preferably as a PatchManager controlled patch

Edited by linuxgurugamer

The beacon needs to be brought out before the drives can be used, so putting it into an earlier category makes sense, IMHO.  That way a player can research it, and get it on it's way before.

The biggest drives should be the hardest to get, which is why I think they need to be in the Ultra High Energy Physics

• 1 month later...

Major new release, 0.2.0

Thanks to Github user @arekbulski for doing a lot of the refactoring

• Target vessel is also FTL target. Can select targets using the window or Engineer Redux mod.
  • Optimum altitude is min altitude over current body that has 100% success provided EC supply.    
  • Analysis window shows all beacons and their force requirements and optimal altitudes.
  • Uses CommunityTechTree mod (10.000sc to unlock largest drive).
  • Uses TweakScale mod (2x drive has 2x force but 8x mass and 8x cost).
  • FixedUpdate changed back to Update
  • OnStart changed back to Start
  • Calculations of the totalGeneratedforce, totalChargeRate an, totalChargeCapacity and totalChargeTime into a separate function
  • Added back visual message when jump not possible
  • Implemented code to hide Jump button when drive not spinning
  • Added context info in editor
    • Source body is changable by clicking the left/right arrows
    • Starting orbit is configurable with slider, going from just above the atmosphere to the edge of the SOI
  • Added "x" to allow the window to be closed
  • Changed FindAllSourceDrives to function, so it can be used both in Editor and in Flight
  • Added settings window
    • driveStopsUponVesselSwitch
    • autoJump = false
    • multipleDriveExponent = 1.4f
  • Hide the Execute Jump button after a jump is executed
  • Removed double debug.log line in LogsManager
  • Added code to save window position, both in Editor and in Flight (separate values)

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.