[1.12.x] FTL Drive Continued

linuxgurugamer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Good day sir, thank you for all your maintenance!  I am having issues where this mod (v0.2.5) is causing nullrefs in the VAB editor. 

Clean KSP installation, with only FTLDrive and dependencies Player.log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/r26376pj0qhpxy1/Player.log?dl=0 

Reproduce: Go to VAB, pick up any FTL drive (not beacon) -> nullref console spam.  As soon as you drop the part (or remove it from the rocket) the spam stops.  

Log file line 20793 is as soon as VAB loaded.  Clicking on an FTL drive to select it as the root part causes nullrefs.  I then deleted the part (line 37333) and the spam stopped.  I then added a non-FTL root part, and clicked to select another FTL drive, and the spam resumed (line 46855).  The nullref happens as soon as the part is selected (before it can be added to a ship) so there are nullrefs before the "part added to ship" log events.

Thank you for looking into this!

Edited by Chimichanga
added line numbers

• 1 month later...
On 12/30/2021 at 2:36 PM, JadeOfMaar said:

Waterfall configs could be made but they will require the FTL plugin to be modified to provide something akin to a throttle and spool behavior or animation timing, which can be used as a controller in Waterfall.

I can do that, could you contact me about what's needed?

On 3/30/2022 at 1:54 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

I can do that, could you contact me about what's needed?

I can't "lay it out in plain text" per say, but the idea is that when the jump drive plugin is doing its "jump sequence" that it has a field which returns a value (format is akin to a float) such as animation play position or throttle level. The name of this field is selectable as a custom controller for Waterfall effects. Like stock or Real Plume's engine effect configs, Waterfall effects can be setup along float curves (the x value is the controller's returned value, the y is an effect modifier), and the effect changes depending on where this plugin's "jump effect" animation position is.

Let's say 0 to 0.5 is this plugin's warm-up phase. If the jump is successful then it progresses from 0.5 to 1 (which is setup for effect animation that indicates a success and going into cooldown). But if a jump fails then the plugin rewinds from 0.5 to 0. If for some reason the plugin stays at the 0.5 point then the Waterfall effect stays in a lively, constant animating state (such as cruising with a Star Trek warp drive or Star Wars hyperdrive) rather than it appears to hang and freeze like a software crash happened.

There is some information on the Waterfall wiki. I don't think it does much in explaining. I hope it's helpful somewhat. If not, well, Nertea is the mod author.

Demonstrated functional altitude for heavy-duty spacecraft (*) - FTL Beacom Orbital Location by planet (in thousands of kilometers): 

Moho                   9300
Eve                    29300 
Kerbin             15000
Duna                15000
Dres                  15000
Jool                 294000
Eeloo                15000

(*)  They use six stacked Advanced FTL Drives.

1 hour ago, dprostock said:

Demonstrated functional altitude for heavy-duty spacecraft (*) - FTL Beacom Orbital Location by planet (in thousands of kilometers): 

Moho                   9300
Eve                    29300 
Kerbin             15000
Duna                15000
Dres                  15000
Jool                 294000
Eeloo                15000

(*)  They use six stacked Advanced FTL Drives.

Sorry... thousands of meters... 

Is the mod supposed to drain all EC after a jump? I see the EC draining while it spins up, but there's always some left in the batteries when I execute the jump. When I appear next to the beacon all EC on the craft has vanished, from every part. Worse, it's also zeroing out my Enriched Uranium resources, which unfortunately can't be re-charged with solar panels.

22 minutes ago, attosecond said:

Is the mod supposed to drain all EC after a jump? I see the EC draining while it spins up, but there's always some left in the batteries when I execute the jump. When I appear next to the beacon all EC on the craft has vanished, from every part. Worse, it's also zeroing out my Enriched Uranium resources, which unfortunately can't be re-charged with solar panels.

ummmm, Enriched Uranium?  What's that, it's not part of stock.

@attosecond By chance do you have any mods that change the behavior of FTL Drive Continued? Either a mod is making the jump drives require EnrichedUranium, or there is an exceptionally nasty bug happening.

@linuxgurugamer EnrichedUranium is a CRP resource which represents usable nuclear material in nuclear reactors. It does not allow to be consumed by parts other than the same part that holds it so being drainable by the jump drive is a very big issue.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.