[1.12.x] FTL Drive Continued

linuxgurugamer

Hello.

This looks like a great mod, one that will definitely go into my next playthrough. However, I would prefer if the drives used a different power source, like Exotic Matter. I looked through the part configs and haven't found a way to change the resource used for the jump, so I was wondering if anyone has changed it, and how they did it.

Thanks.

4 hours ago, SoggyPickle said:

Hello.

This looks like a great mod, one that will definitely go into my next playthrough. However, I would prefer if the drives used a different power source, like Exotic Matter. I looked through the part configs and haven't found a way to change the resource used for the jump, so I was wondering if anyone has changed it, and how they did it.

Thanks.

Last time I looked at the code, the fuel source was pretty hard coded.... Don't know if linuxgurugamer made any changes to that part since he took over.

On 3/31/2018 at 1:15 PM, SoggyPickle said:

Hello.

Thanks.

At the current time, the fuel is only EC.  Changing from EC to something else would actually be changing the basic mechanic, and would require somewhat significant changes.  

A better possibility would be to simply add an additional power source, so that it would need both EC and Exotic Matter, but this isn't going to happen for a while, at least not until I finish all the updates.

Open an issue on Github,and I'll look into it later

• 1 month later...

Something appears to be wrong with the new 0.2.1.2; the right-click menus on the FTL drives aren't working at all (both in flight and in the editor).

(I haven't used this mod before so it took me a while to figure out what was going on, but I tested clean installs of KSP with 0.2.1.1 and 0.2.1.2 to be certain.)

In 0.2.1.1 each FTL drive allows you to right-click them. In the editor, you can see stats for the part. In flight, you can see some stats as well as buttons to 'Spin' and 'Show possible destinations'.

In 0.2.1.2, right clicking in either the editor or in flight is completely non-functional. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong since 0.2.1.1 works fine, but since I just discovered this mod today I'm not sure.

Here's the output log link. I opened KSP with 0.2.1.2 installed, went into the VAB, right clicked an FTL drive a few times (no effect), then launched a ship with a drive and right clicked the drive again (no effect).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ws36bondl9wm6y2/output_log0.2.1.2.txt?dl=0

Additionally, I noticed that the bottom right text of the pop up in the editor says 'No More Info' in 0.2.1.2, screenshot below. This doesn't happen in 0.2.1.1.

177f0pE.png

I've solved this; 0.2.1.2 currently has a dependency on your other mod, ToolbarController.

Line 243 in the above output log states the failed dependency check, and starting at line 13015 FTLDriveContinued is listed as a Non-DLL mod. I installed ToolbarController and it passed the dependency check. 0.2.1.2 works normally after this.

Nice, thanks. However, I think there's still some strangeness with this new dependency. I was just playing around with the drives and the right click stopped working again. The Alt+F12 console showed a plethora of new errors, you can see them in the new log below (it's much larger, sorry!).

I think I clicked the Toolbar Controller button on the right side of the flight screen immediately before the errors started, but I can't be certain. The fun begins at line 17531, followed by a different set of errors from line 25583.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vmdf7ajisfiwjxt/output_logManyErrors.txt?dl=0

EDIT: I managed to reproduce this. If you click the Toolbar Controller button, it becomes highlighted but nothing happens. The error will spam the console at this time and parts of the right-click menu become non-functional. Clicking the button again will un-highlight it, and the error stops and right-clicking becomes functional again. I guess the lesson here is, don't push the button!

Edited by IncKursion
New information

5 hours ago, IncKursion said:

Nice, thanks. However, I think there's still some strangeness with this new dependency. I was just playing around with the drives and the right click stopped working again. The Alt+F12 console showed a plethora of new errors, you can see them in the new log below (it's much larger, sorry!).

I think I clicked the Toolbar Controller button on the right side of the flight screen immediately before the errors started, but I can't be certain. The fun begins at line 17531, followed by a different set of errors from line 25583.

EDIT: I managed to reproduce this. If you click the Toolbar Controller button, it becomes highlighted but nothing happens. The error will spam the console at this time and parts of the right-click menu become non-functional. Clicking the button again will un-highlight it, and the error stops and right-clicking becomes functional again. I guess the lesson here is, don't push the button!

Hmmm, that shouldn’t be happening.thanks for isolating it, I’ll look at it tomorrow

23 hours ago, IncKursion said:

Ok, I can't reproduce this, and it really doesn't make sense.  The mod actually does NOT use the toolbarcontroller, I accidently added a dependency check for that which is why it's required right now.

Can you send me your save file?  Also, I need more info, for example, was this on the launch pad, in  space, or somewhere else?

If you could lay out a complete series of steps, starting at the main menu, on how you reproduce this, it would be helpful.

Thanks

I've just reproduced this on a completely fresh install, the only mods installed were FTL and the two dependencies. I can supply a save game if you like but it will literally be empty. I've made some screenshots to show what's going on (I dropped the resolution to make them less intrusive).

I started a new sandbox game on easy difficulty, went to the VAB, created a craft with only a pod and an FTL drive, and went to the launch pad. I right-clicked the FTL drive, the buttons show normally.

6cpGKHa.png

Then I left-clicked the Toolbar Controller button on the right side of the screen (hopefully the below screenshot shows the button is toggled). Now, right-clicking the FTL drive brings up the pop-up but there are no clickable buttons.

15Ynbbm.png

The console shows the following errors:

dMaVxyR.png

Here's the output log for these steps: https://www.dropbox.com/s/56vf8zz6uwg67nv/output_logFreshInstall.txt?dl=0

Edited by IncKursion

Very strange, the toolbar buttonshouldn't even be shown at that time, since there are no mods installed using it.

Ok, it looks like the bug is in the ToolbarController.

Here is a quick rebuild, without the need for the toolbarController.  Just replace the DLL, and then manually delete the toolbarController.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lb8e4ifleqjutlz/ftldrivebeta.zip?dl=0

While it should be fine, note that this is a compiled development version, so if you get a funny result (not expected), let me know.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

I've found a bug that only seems to be in the new DLL you uploaded. If a craft has an FTL drive attached, errors are printed to the console whenever the craft's structure is altered during flight (e.g. activating a stage or if part of the craft breaks). However, I can't actually see any negative consequences of the error other than messages in the console, the craft stays functional as far as I can see.

I tested this in both 0.2.1.1 and 0.2.1.2 (including ToolbarController) and this doesn't happen, it's just in the DLL you provided.

I reproduced this in a fresh KSP install like this:

• Go to the VAB
  • Create a craft with a pod, decoupler, and FTL drive under the decoupler (so that activating the stage will separate the two).
  • Go to the launchpad
  • Activate the stage

The following error is printed to the console:

w1w81ht.png

And here's the output log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/f504jn6avzrihjy/output_logStagingError.txt?dl=0

I first noticed this when I built a new craft, and saw the errors every time I activated a stage. I also saw the error when I made a particularly rough landing and broke my ship, so it doesn't appear to be directly related to staging, just the alteration of a craft in-flight (which is probably why 'onVesselWasModified' is referenced in the error message!).

I have just encountered some NRE's while in the VAB after selecting one of the FTL parts of this mod.

Log file

[EXC 21:10:05.988] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	ScienceFoundry.FTL.FTLDriveModule.CalculateValues (Boolean inFlight)
	ScienceFoundry.FTL.FTLDriveModule.Start ()
[LOG 21:10:07.529] GTI.Hyperdrive added to ship - part count: 2
[LOG 21:10:08.727] ELShipInfo.WaitAndRebuildList: ShipConstruct
[EXC 21:10:19.454] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[LOG 21:10:21.444] deleting part advancedFTLdriveS1
[LOG 21:10:35.714] ELShipInfo.WaitAndRebuildList: ShipConstruct
[LOG 21:10:37.129] deleting part GTI.Hyperdrive
[LOG 21:10:38.187] ELShipInfo.WaitAndRebuildList: ShipConstruct
[LOG 21:10:38.786] deleting part camCore
[EXC 21:10:44.767] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 21:10:58.603] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[LOG 21:10:59.581] advancedFTLdriveS2 added to ship - part count: 3
[LOG 21:10:59.619] ELShipInfo.WaitAndRebuildList: ShipConstruct
[EXC 21:11:00.596] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[LOG 21:11:01.737] advancedFTLdriveS1 added to ship - part count: 4

24 minutes ago, Warezcrawler said:

I have just encountered some NRE's while in the VAB after selecting one of the FTL parts of this mod.

Log file

[EXC 21:10:05.988] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[LOG 21:10:07.529] GTI.Hyperdrive added to ship - part count: 2
[LOG 21:10:08.727] ELShipInfo.WaitAndRebuildList: ShipConstruct
[EXC 21:10:19.454] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[LOG 21:10:21.444] deleting part advancedFTLdriveS1
[LOG 21:10:35.714] ELShipInfo.WaitAndRebuildList: ShipConstruct
[LOG 21:10:37.129] deleting part GTI.Hyperdrive
[LOG 21:10:38.187] ELShipInfo.WaitAndRebuildList: ShipConstruct
[LOG 21:10:38.786] deleting part camCore
[EXC 21:10:44.767] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 21:10:58.603] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[LOG 21:10:59.581] advancedFTLdriveS2 added to ship - part count: 3
[LOG 21:10:59.619] ELShipInfo.WaitAndRebuildList: ShipConstruct
[EXC 21:11:00.596] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[LOG 21:11:01.737] advancedFTLdriveS1 added to ship - part count: 4

Ignore it for now, I'm revamping the calculations and hope to get an update out with some new features this weekend

New release, 0.2.1.3:

• Removed check for ToolbarController
  • Fixed nullref when loading vessel in Editor
  • More optimizations of loops, putting the Count() at the first and decrementing, eliminates the need to recalculate the count every loop
  • Moved all calculations out of the Update() and FixedUpdate() methods into a CoRoutine 
  • Added following functionality:
    • Drives have a resource in the game and a value
    • However much EC was used for the jump, that much of the additional resource would be used also. For example, if the line
      • jumpResourceDef = ExoticMatter, 0.05
    • was added to the drive config and 400EC was used for the jump, then 20 Exotic Matter would also be used.
  • Added new field to support this:
    • jumpResourceDef = ExoticMatter, 0.10
  • Added new setting for initial horizontal window position
  • Fixed exploding the parts of the vessel in a failed jump (was getting issue with a foreach having entries removed)

Trying to figure out what version of FTL, ClickThrough and ToolbarController to use on a 1.3.1 game. It's heavily modded otherwise and the update to 1.4.x has not gone well, so I'm putting it off a while longer. When I go to set a destination, I get an empty box:

T0aRUPP.png

Complete log is here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0b77upmjzj3s6av/output_log.txt?dl=0

On 5/20/2018 at 10:23 AM, Platonicsolid said:

Trying to figure out what version of FTL, ClickThrough and ToolbarController to use on a 1.3.1 game. It's heavily modded otherwise and the update to 1.4.x has not gone well, so I'm putting it off a while longer. When I go to set a destination, I get an empty box:

T0aRUPP.png

Complete log is here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0b77upmjzj3s6av/output_log.txt?dl=0

It only shows destinations which are active beacons.  Is it possible that you didn't activate a beacon, or that a beacon ran out of power?

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Hummm. Halfway there. I hadn't activated the beacons, but it still doesn't show anything in the show destinations display, still getting the little X box as before. However, if I target the beacon (I use Targetron to make that easier), I can spin and jump.

Have to get to work, can post screenshots/logs this evening.

Alright, created a stripped down test instance with just the Squad stock, the three mods (FTL, ClickThruBlocker, ToolbarControl) and HyperEdit.

Still getting the box when trying to list destinations. Beacon is definitely on. Appears to be a null when trying to load the BaseFieldList?

Album https://imgur.com/a/aDV3gIs will appear when post is submitted

And output log is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tx9b5488fm86li8/output_log Limited Test.txt?dl=0

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.