[1.12.x] FTL Drive Continued

linuxgurugamer

This is a continuation of the old FTL Drive mod, written by @krh42, original thread here:  https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/103056-102-ftl-drive-updates-on-development/&

New Dependency

CKAN has been updated to install the dependencies, if needed.

Ever wished you where somewhere else instantly. With the Kerbin Science Foundry faster than light (FTL) drive you can! Just spin it up to create an instant reality dysfunction that might, just might transport you instantly to another point in space.

To actually end up where you want to go, instead of experiencing a permanent fatal reality dis-coherence (i.e. your ship goes puff, aka. explodes) there are a few recommendations to observe:

• Place a FTL beacon where you want to go, otherwise, the FTL drive cannot get a lock on your target destination and will refuse to even spin up.
  • Never, never, ever spin up the drive in a strong gravity field, keep far away from planets, suns, and other heavy objects.

Other than that the FTL drive holds the promise to revolutionize interplanetary transfers and to take the grind out of flying vessels from one point in the Kerbol system to another.

Downloads:  http://spacedock.info/mod/835/FTL Drive Continued

Source:  https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/FTLDriveContinued

License: CC-BY-NC-SA-3.0

Patreon.png

https://www.patreon.com/linuxgurugamer

New parts:

RU3y9AH.png

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Sweet!  It lives!

Of all the FTL mods that exist, I think this one is by far the best.  It still forces you to get (at least) a probe to the place you eventually want to jump to, which is a huge challenge.  But it saves you the tedium of having to do that over and over if you do things right.

One request:  Could you make it compatible with CKAN?  (Or did I just miss it in the list?)

4 hours ago, Leo_G. said:

Sweet!  It lives!

Of all the FTL mods that exist, I think this one is by far the best.  It still forces you to get (at least) a probe to the place you eventually want to jump to, which is a huge challenge.  But it saves you the tedium of having to do that over and over if you do things right.

One request:  Could you make it compatible with CKAN?  (Or did I just miss it in the list?)

Already in CKAN 

• 2 weeks later...

my findings: use multiple jump drives and spin them up simultaenously to build up more "mass" i.e. jump closer to a planets gravity well or edit the ftl drive part configs:

MODULE
    {
        name = FTLDriveModule
        maxGeneratorForce = 5000
        maxChargeTime = 8
        requiredElectricalCharge = 250
    }

increase the maxGeneratorForce to create more "mass" and probably increase electrical charge cost to balance it.

On 10/23/2016 at 5:18 PM, eddiew said:

Oh, nice, just as I was debating what the sci-fi tech should be in my next career :) 

Is it still the, um, placeholder models? (I haven't updated to 1.2 yet, sorry ^^;)

probably, as they are still in png and tga format.

@linuxgurugamer

Converted the textures to DDS. Will test in a second, but you can find them here if you want them.

License is same as original CC-BY-NC-SA-3.0

7 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Just as a question: What's the compare/contrast between this and ESLD beacons?  (Just wondering how to chose between the two - should I ever be able to.)

I'm sure you'd like a detailed breakdown, but I don't have a firm grasp on the mechanics of ESLD. I believe on first blush, this is the easier of the two, as it uses ElectricCharge, not Karborundum, and it's more forgiving with it's gravity wells and orbital mechanics. Personally I prefer the concept of ESLD, but the convenience of this mod, but at present...use neither.:rolleyes:

I know, I'm a real help.:wink:

• 2 weeks later...

New release: 0.1.5:

* Updated stacking to be a descending exponential curve for additional drives.  It is now using the formula:
        force * 1.4 ^ (-cnt)
        Where force = generated force by drive
        cnt = cnt of additional drive mode.
        So this means that the following applies to additional drives:
        Drive #        Multiplier
            2        0.714285714
            3        0.510204082
            4        0.364431487    
            5        0.260308205    
            6        0.185934432    
            7        0.132810309    
            8        0.094864506
            9        0.067760362
            10        0.048400258

* Updated display of generated force and chances to take multiple drives into account

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.